SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   NEW YORK | Hudson Yards; 40 msf of development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123575)

THE BIG APPLE Mar 2, 2012 12:05 AM

All of use are 50/50 split on the Javits staying or going. But can we ALL agree that in 50 years time the Javits will be gone. (much sooner than that).

RobertWalpole Mar 2, 2012 12:39 AM

Javits will be gone in 20 years max, as will MSG.

RobertWalpole Mar 2, 2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 5602307)
The conventioneers are not happy about having to move to the bowels of Queens from Manhattan. There was an article in the Times about it. I don't think this move will happen, or if it does, the Javitz will remain with the new convention center.

You're wrong. Javits is very prime propert valued at several billion dollars.

THE BIG APPLE Mar 2, 2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertWalpole (Post 5611955)
Javits will be gone in 20 years max, as will MSG.

Yeah I know that, but some people fail to comprehend that it will even be gone in 5 years let alone 20. That's why I said 50 years because it's a number EVERYONE can agree on, although it will be gone in 10-15 years.

Battery Park City which alot of people compare the HY's to was $90 Million worth of land in 1968. That's equal to $500 Million today after inflation..

Crawford Mar 2, 2012 1:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 5602307)
The conventioneers are not happy about having to move to the bowels of Queens from Manhattan.

Well, if that's the case, then it's their loss. Maybe they can move their tire convention to Wichita.

Whether or not the conventioneers are happy is completely irrelevent. The point is that an exhibition shed is a horrible use of prime Midtown land, even if it were the most popular and lucrative exhibition shed on earth.

And, considering that most convention centers aren't located on prime land (and Javits was hardly prime land when it was built), I think they'll have no problems relocating to Queens.

Somehow the largest convention destinations in America and globally aren't located downtown, but seem to do just fine.

NYguy Mar 2, 2012 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 5612050)
Whether or not the conventioneers are happy is completely irrelevent. The point is that an exhibition shed is a horrible use of prime Midtown land, even if it were the most popular and lucrative exhibition shed on earth.

There's the inevitable grumbling from the people who are happy with the status quo at the Javits and aren't happy about the potential move, but they'll get on the bandwagon once the new convention center is under construction. It's past time for a better idea, and the governor has a golden oppurtunity to get it done, and free up prime Manhattan space in the process. The Javits will follow the fate of the New York Colisuem - at one time the largest exhibition center - and now site of the Time Warner Center.


http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-...i-have-my-job/

Incoming Javits Chief Asks Forum: How Long Will I Have My Job?

March 01, 2012
By Ilya Marritz

Quote:

The new president and CEO of the Javits Center – who began work yesterday – introduced himself to New York’s business community in dramatic fashion Thursday, at a forum exploring Governor Andrew Cuomo’s plan to tear Javits down and build a bigger convention center in Queens.

As the breakfast meeting was coming to a close, Alan Steel, who was seated at a table close to the stage, stood up. "I am the incoming president of Javits. I started yesterday,” Steel said. “I'd like to ask the question: how long the panel thinks it will be before I'm out of a job?"

The moderator, Greg David, steered the question to one of his panelists, Bob Yaro, president of the Regional Plan Association, a think tank that favors replacing Javits. Yaro told Steel, a native of Britain, "nothing happens in this town in less than three, four years." Even the forum’s name seemed to suggest Steel’s time is limited: “After Javits” is the title Crain’s New York Business gave to the discussion it hosted at Essex House.

aquablue Mar 2, 2012 5:23 PM

The complaints and threats of the convention industry were all over the press yesterday. They REALLY DO NOT want to move to Queens because they are afraid that if it fails there, the whole NY industry will fail. There is also the issue of transport. Genting will not pay for better rail access, only a subway service upgrade which probably won't work.

NYguy Mar 2, 2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 5612708)
The complaints and threats of the convention industry were all over the press yesterday. They REALLY DO NOT want to move to Queens because they are afraid that if it fails there, the whole NY industry will fail. There is also the issue of transport. Genting will not pay for better rail access, only a subway service upgrade which probably won't work.

You really need to read better. And what you speak of as all over the press was a minor story. It's only a story at all because it shows not everyone is a fan of the move. If the people mentioned were speaking in favor of the move, there would be no story there.

aquablue Mar 3, 2012 1:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 5613302)
You really need to read better. And what you speak of as all over the press was a minor story. It's only a story at all because it shows not everyone is a fan of the move. If the people mentioned were speaking in favor of the move, there would be no story there.

What I said came out of the papers and is accurate, thank you very much. I don't need you to tell me how to read, that is highly rude. I hope you are not that rude and condescending in real life because I wouldn't want to meet you.

I don't care if it is a minor story or not, that's what very high up people in the industry were saying.

yankeesfan1000 Mar 3, 2012 3:34 AM

The article also says that NY is turning down conventions because those conventions need more space than the Javits has to offer. And honestly, this space is more valuable to the city as a BPC development.

And I sincerely don't mean to gang up on you, so please don't get that impression, but NY will have no problem attracting conventions even if the center is in Queens. It doesn't need a convention center in it's downtown, in fact, one in their downtown is a burden more than an asset. Anyways, just my two cents.

aquablue Mar 3, 2012 3:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 (Post 5613536)
The article also says that NY is turning down conventions because those conventions need more space than the Javits has to offer. And honestly, this space is more valuable to the city as a BPC development.

And I sincerely don't mean to gang up on you, so please don't get that impression, but NY will have no problem attracting conventions even if the center is in Queens. It doesn't need a convention center in it's downtown, in fact, one in their downtown is a burden more than an asset. Anyways, just my two cents.

I'm PRO Queens CC. I was talking about what the press was saying. I agree that the CC/Casino in Queens is the way to go and that the establishment is reacting from a posture of fear rather than seeing the positive aspects.:rolleyes:

THE BIG APPLE Mar 12, 2012 10:13 PM

Video Link

mrnyc Mar 26, 2012 1:54 AM

meanwhile, hmm...they are doing a major renovation on the javits before they tear it down and are hiring foreigners to run it???

from this morning

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/391d8dcb.jpghttp://i945.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/c32c50ec.jpg

Roadcruiser1 Mar 26, 2012 3:30 AM

I don't get it. Couldn't the Javits Center just have been modified for a base of a massive skyscraper?

jd3189 Mar 26, 2012 3:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 (Post 5613536)
And I sincerely don't mean to gang up on you, so please don't get that impression, but NY will have no problem attracting conventions even if the center is in Queens. It doesn't need a convention center in it's downtown, in fact, one in their downtown is a burden more than an asset. Anyways, just my two cents.

You know, if New York did get the bid to host the Olympics this year,all of the venues could have been in the outer boroughs like Queens and Brooklyn. Then projects would have been concentrated to make these boroughs more important and urbanized. People from outside the city that never been there always look at Manhattan being "the place" in NYC, and miss the wide expanses which need some love too. As long as the NIMBYs don't nag too much, we should be look at the city as a whole.

SkyscrapersOfNewYork Mar 26, 2012 3:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 (Post 5641337)
I don't get it. Couldn't the Javits Center just have been modified for a base of a massive skyscraper?

It'd probably be more feasible and cheaper to just raze the Javits Center and lay down a new foundation then modify an existing one.

THE BIG APPLE Mar 26, 2012 4:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 (Post 5641337)
I don't get it. Couldn't the Javits Center just have been modified for a base of a massive skyscraper?

PLUS that would be a BIG skyscraper. We don't want that, no that taller construction shouldn't happen BUT brutalist construction shouldn't happen. The better idea is a BPC type-based plan, which will 99 percent likely happen.

599GTO Mar 26, 2012 5:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 (Post 5641337)
I don't get it. Couldn't the Javits Center just have been modified for a base of a massive skyscraper?

Gross.

Just bring down that POS and let's get on with our lives.

THE BIG APPLE Mar 26, 2012 5:12 AM

^ 2nd that, as my post stated.

sbarn Mar 26, 2012 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 5612708)
The complaints and threats of the convention industry were all over the press yesterday. They REALLY DO NOT want to move to Queens because they are afraid that if it fails there, the whole NY industry will fail. There is also the issue of transport. Genting will not pay for better rail access, only a subway service upgrade which probably won't work.

I agree that the transportation issue is significant, but I think it would be properly addressed if they move the convention center out of Manhattan. As for the concerns raised by conventioneers, I think people need to realize that there is more to New York than Midtown Manhattan.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.