SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=170279)

Bristolian Jun 4, 2019 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8594030)


Tonight's mystery location. Thriftymart, Los Angeles [c.1959]

Original 35mm Kodachrome slide.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/OnYwCG.jpg
Ebay (sold) u can still see it if you click the link & then scroll down.


I think (and I could wrong) the photographer jumped out of that car, ran across the street, & took the photograph.




Besides Thriftymart, the clues include Coleman CL ...and something I hadn't noticed (until I enlarged the photo). ...A watertower! see below

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/5XL8y1.jpg
DETAIL

note the cool sign about the pharmacy entrance.


So do you sleuths think we can figure out this location? ...*looks for whip*

.

Two locations I know of with that shape water tower are Paramount Studios
https://i.imgur.com/lFMdleF.jpg?1
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk

and the city of Lynwood
https://i.imgur.com/zWSXTOm.jpg?1
GSV

The proportions of the Lynwood tower look like a better match to me.

SHERIFFPAUL Jun 4, 2019 4:37 PM

Lot's of fun working in Hollywood
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8593649)
Who's that good lookin' noirish lookin' fellow?

*lightbulb*...I remember now --you work a stone's throw from the bowl entrance in one of those little historic cottages, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHERIFFPAUL (Post 8593357)
This is the clock at the Hollywood Bowl now.https://sheriffpaul.files.wordpress....size=219%2C219

Right on.....Camrose Park Bungalows

Lwize Jun 4, 2019 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8594030)
Tonight's mystery location. Thriftymart, Los Angeles [c.1959]

Original 35mm Kodachrome slide.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/OnYwCG.jpg
Ebay (sold) u can still see it if you click the link & then scroll down.

For this Mystery, I'm going with Smart & Final at 12210 Santa Monica Blvd, LA 90025:

http://larry.wizegallery.com/VWV/Smart.jpg

(GSV, hosted by me)

Notice the red circle, which matches the building to the left. And I believe the Thriftymart sign is now the Smart & Final sign.

The photo is taken from the backside of the property (W Ohio Ave, not Santa Monica Blvd).

HossC Jun 4, 2019 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredH (Post 8594180)

OK, Call me shocked!

I have an old box of Pinnacle paperbacks in a closet downstairs, The books have been in the box for about 39 years,
and I don't think I have looked inside for about 25 years. Had no idea what was in there. So, I ripped off the tape and
started pulling out the books. And all of a sudden, there it was.

Front cover:

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnBjLy8R/IMG-20190603-181237.jpg
My Photo

...

I had never looked inside the book. It's a picture book with still shots from the movie
and cartoon bubbles above people's heads with spoken lines from the movie. Talk about corny.
There is also a 16 page color section in the middle, mostly showing the Village People in full battle gear.
Jenner and Perrine (who appears to keep "most" of her clothes on in the movie) seem to be the love interest.

Now, I want to to see the movie!

There's a trailer for 'Can't Stop the Music' on YouTube:

Video Link

GaylordWilshire Jun 4, 2019 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8594030)
Excellent information, Noir Noir. Thanks so much!

Tonight's mystery location. Thriftymart, Los Angeles [c.1959]

Original 35mm Kodachrome slide.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/OnYwCG.jpg
Ebay (sold) u can still see it if you click the link & then scroll down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwize (Post 8594600)
For this Mystery, I'm going with Smart & Final at 12210 Santa Monica Blvd, LA 90025:


http://larry.wizegallery.com/VWV/Smart.jpg

(GSV, hosted by me)

Notice the red circle, which matches the building to the left. And I believe the Thriftymart sign is now the Smart & Final sign.

The photo is taken from the backside of the property (W Ohio Ave, not Santa Monica Blvd).



Lwise, you got it, even without this verification-- "Coleman Cleaners" was elusive in CDs, but it was there...


https://i.postimg.cc/Mp5t8BJt/colemansfacade-bmp.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/sDypD2cL/colemanbp-bmp.jpg

Earl Boebert Jun 4, 2019 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8594797)
Lwise, you got it, even without this verification-- "Coleman Cleaners" was elusive in CDs, but it was there...


https://i.postimg.cc/Mp5t8BJt/colemansfacade-bmp.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/sDypD2cL/colemanbp-bmp.jpg

“Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom’s. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own.” -- Nelson Algren

Check. But a Martini at Mom's is OK, provided you adhere to the other dicta ...

Cheers,

Earl

Martin Pal Jun 4, 2019 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredH (Post 8594180)
OK, Call me shocked!
I have an old box of Pinnacle paperbacks in a closet downstairs, The books have been in the box for about 39 years,
and I don't think I have looked inside for about 25 years. Had no idea what was in there. So, I ripped off the tape and
started pulling out the books. And all of a sudden, there it was.
Front cover:
https://i.postimg.cc/ZnBjLy8R/IMG-20190603-181237.jpg
My Photo

Back cover:
https://i.postimg.cc/3RbnpZDV/IMG-20190603-181220.jpg
My Photo
I had never looked inside the book. It's a picture book with still shots from the movie
and cartoon bubbles above people's heads with spoken lines from the movie. Talk about corny.
There is also a 16 page color section in the middle, mostly showing the Village People in full battle gear.
Jenner and Perrine (who appears to keep "most" of her clothes on in the movie) seem to be the love interest.

Now, I want to to see the movie!


Hey Shocked, that is pretty amazing. Probably rare, too! A picture book makes sense for this movie. (Was Raggedy Man in that box?)

People on the Home Theater Forum are talking about "Can't Stop the Music" because a Blu-Ray release of this is coming out on June 11th!

I linked your posts here in case they're interested!

The HTF Link is HERE.

Noir_Noir Jun 5, 2019 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8594030)


Besides Thriftymart, the clues include Coleman CL ...and something I hadn't noticed (until I enlarged the photo). ...A watertower! see below

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/5XL8y1.jpg
DETAIL


Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristolian (Post 8594484)
Two locations I know of with that shape water tower are Paramount Studios
https://i.imgur.com/lFMdleF.jpg?1
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk

and the city of Lynwood
https://i.imgur.com/zWSXTOm.jpg?1
GSV

The proportions of the Lynwood tower look like a better match to me.



Any chance this elusive water tower could be a contender?


Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8189412)
'mystery' water tower

Former model, 21 yr. old Theresa Cundall, threatens to jump from water tower. Boyfriend talks her down. [c.1959]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/5BB0Xt.jpg
EBAY

info.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/GLCrZq.jpg

I don't remember a water tower of this type in Santa Monica.

Does anyone know where it was located?


Going by the Thriftimart picture the general direction of the tower would be a line up through Westgate and Brentwood Park.


Could a tower in those vicinities be considered to "overlook Santa Monica" as the Theresa Cundall water tower was in the newspaper reports?

:shrug:

ethereal_reality Jun 5, 2019 4:02 AM

:previous:

I'm glad you brought it up again, Noir Noir.

We were never able to figure out the location of that watertower.

ethereal_reality Jun 5, 2019 4:24 AM

Thanks for solving the mystery of the Thriftimart slide Bristolian, Lwise and GaylordWilshire.



Here's a Thriftimart being visited by a train engine.

Thriftimart, 6350 Van Buren Blvd., Riverside CA [1960s]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/PukDIC.jpg
flickr

Arlington Plaza near the intersection of Van Buren Blvd. and Arlington Avenue.



This same view, today HERE
.

Noir_Noir Jun 5, 2019 5:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8595517)
:previous:

I'm glad you brought it up again, Noir Noir.

We were never able to figure out the location of that watertower.



I'm thinking there's a fair chance the water tower in the Thriftimart picture is the one that Theresa Cundall climbed onto in 1953.

According to the reports she was living with her mother Mrs Albert Schuck at the time of the incident. Her mother was living at 875 Wellesley Avenue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8189424)


Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8189594)



Here's a map with the general direction along where the tower from the Thriftimart picture might be located. 875 Wellesley Avenue is in the green circle. If Theresa ran out in the night in her bare feet, I'm thinking the water tower can't have been too far away.

https://i.imgur.com/4UrqvFi.jpg
Google Maps

BillinGlendaleCA Jun 5, 2019 8:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir_Noir (Post 8595592)
I'm thinking there's a fair chance the water tower in the Thriftimart picture is the one that Theresa Cundall climbed onto in 1953.

According to the reports she was living with her mother Mrs Albert Schuck at the time of the incident. Her mother was living at 875 Wellesley Avenue.








Here's a map with the general direction along where the tower from the Thriftimart picture might be located. 875 Wellesley Avenue is in the green circle. If Theresa ran out in the night in her bare feet, I'm thinking the water tower can't have been too far away.

https://i.imgur.com/4UrqvFi.jpg
Google Maps

Just to the left and below your green circle is the Mt. Olivet Reservoir, which at the time were above ground water tanks including at water tower:

https://i.postimg.cc/rs71tB2F/Annota...-05-015138.jpgvia Framefinder

Noir_Noir Jun 5, 2019 12:41 PM

:previous:


Thanks BillinGlendaleCA. So to be more exact it should have been this.


https://i.imgur.com/Tm6907H.jpg


I went looking for something more on the Mount Olivet Reservoir tower and where do I find it?


Here of course! tovangar2 had posted this in 2017. :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 7719650)

P.S. Does anyone know why the neighborhood bulges into the country club like that? There's that extra heavy line of trees running SE along Centinela & Carmelina too. Looks like a watercourse:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dy...g=w890-h528-no
google maps


Brentwood Canyon, 1924, dry as a bone, looking SE from the air above Brentwood Country Club:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4V...g=w600-h505-no
lapl (detail)

The water tower (upper right corner, above) doesn't exist anymore, but the Mt Olivet reservoir is still there on Franklin St.
(Marilyn Monroe spent much time at her psychiatrist's, Dr Ralph Greenson's, 1946 house near the reservoir at #902 Franklin Street.
She bought her own home just north of the country club.)

.


SHERIFFPAUL Jun 5, 2019 4:51 PM

Carpenter’s Sandwiches 1933
 
1933 Carpenter’s Sandwiches drive-in was located at 6285 Sunset Boulevard between Vine Street and Argyle in Hollywood. For 30 cents you could enjoy a hamburger and wash it down with a cup of beer while sitting behind the wheel of your car (5 cents more for the premium beer). If this was already posted, Sorry....Paul

https://waterandpower.org/Historical...nter's.jpghttps://waterandpower.org/8%20Histor...ters_1930s.jpg

Thanks to Water and Power Associates for the pictures.

CityBoyDoug Jun 5, 2019 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwize (Post 8594600)
For this Mystery, I'm going with Smart & Final at 12210 Santa Monica Blvd, LA 90025:

http://larry.wizegallery.com/VWV/Smart.jpg

(GSV, hosted by me)

Notice the red circle, which matches the building to the left. And I believe the Thriftymart sign is now the Smart & Final sign.

The photo is taken from the backside of the property (W Ohio Ave, not Santa Monica Blvd).


Sad and depressing that the Bougainvillea plants or whatever are now missing from the scene. You can still see by the dirt on the wall where they used to be. Plus, someone painted over those lovely gray rock blocks of the wall...... Can't we just leave things as they are. White paint is not an improvement.
:(:(:(

BillinGlendaleCA Jun 6, 2019 2:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 8596169)
Sad and depressing that the Bougainvillea plants or whatever are now missing from the scene. You can still see by the dirt on the wall where they used to be. :(:(:(

They look more like oleander than bougainvillea. Now if you want to see bougainvillea, head on out to Glendora.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8560/2...17cf03f1_b.jpg_8260142-1_001 by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

CityBoyDoug Jun 6, 2019 2:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA (Post 8596775)
They look more like oleander than bougainvillea. Now if you want to see bougainvillea, head on out to Glendora.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8560/2...17cf03f1_b.jpg_8260142-1_001 by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/89/d4...7c01a4fb79.jpg
pinterest

Thanks Bill

Yes, Glendora is the local land of Bougainvillea. This thorny ornamental plant is native to South America. Its an import to CA.

ethereal_reality Jun 6, 2019 3:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8594797)



Before it was Mom's, the place was a popular dive bar called Del's Saloon.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/dk1g4H.jpg
seeing stars


A scene in the movie, Knocked Up, was filmed in Del's Saloon.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/hCFQcy.jpg
seeing stars





Here's what the interior of Del's Saloon looks like, now that it's Mom's

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/pzdQhw.jpg
yelp

The ping pong table tries to keep it real.. but, as you can see, it's no longer a dive.







What do you think of this room?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/RGssQj.jpg
yekp

All that's missing is an open casket...:no:




.

ethereal_reality Jun 6, 2019 3:15 AM

For anyone still interested....


Here's a closer look at the front of Del's Saloon. .... It closed on Jan. 23, 2010.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/OlnLjC.jpg
laweekly









https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/FucBz1.jpg

............................................................................................................MASKING TAPE = BONAFIDE DIVE :previous:





.

ethereal_reality Jun 6, 2019 3:43 AM

This is odd interesting.



https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/s3DWG7.jpg
Ebay

It doesn't say, but....I believe the large building in the background is the old Grand Union Station.




stamped March 3, 1931.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/mNHqss.jpg

"1st Annual running - walking race of Los Angeles waiters. ...No.4, Steve Apolla (or APOLLO) won.






_________________________________GO STEVE GO!

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/guT2wg.jpg






.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.