SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=223168)

one_brick_at_a_time Sep 10, 2020 2:13 PM

I was thinking that in the next year, if the Southland Mall could solidify Planet Fitness, and if the Cornwall Centre could solidify Goodlife Fitness, both tenants would take up a substantial amount of vacant space, and also offer services currently not available at those 2 properties.

HomeInMyShoes Sep 10, 2020 2:21 PM

They need to do something to drive traffic. Fitness might be a good option. The Cornwall is pretty much dead these days. I'd be very surprised if the resign rate of leases is any higher than 50% for anything that comes up in the next two years for both the Cornwall or Southland.

CoryB Sep 10, 2020 6:14 PM

Fitness facilities could be a reasonable traffic generator. Their business model is repeated visits over the week. Possible related tenants would include drug stores, athletic clothing/equipment, physio, massage, etc

HomeInMyShoes Sep 22, 2020 1:22 PM

Things falling under the radar, but I'm excited about this:

The Penny University Bookstore - 2127 Albert Street, I believe this is the Kwik Copies Building.

StealthGirl Sep 22, 2020 6:07 PM

Not quite retail, but fits better here than pubs and restaurants. COVID has killed Laser Quest.
Laser Quest closing permanently.

HomeInMyShoes Sep 22, 2020 6:39 PM

That's too bad. Many birthdays parties did my kids attend.

djforsberg Sep 22, 2020 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9049928)
Not quite retail, but fits better here than pubs and restaurants. COVID has killed Laser Quest.
Laser Quest closing permanently.

Not so fast. It is being bought out by a new group and will be re-branded. I don’t know much more than that though. I do know the person who was the GM under LaserQuest, and just before Covid, her location was one of the most profitable in the country.

one_brick_at_a_time Sep 22, 2020 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9050021)
Not so fast. It is being bought out by a new group and will be re-branded. I don’t know much more than that though. I do know the person who was the GM under LaserQuest, and just before Covid, her location was one of the most profitable in the country.

This might be a nice thing and better time to change hands and renovate. I am sure there is still a need for this kind of entertainment in Regina.

StealthGirl Sep 24, 2020 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9050021)
Not so fast. It is being bought out by a new group and will be re-branded. I don’t know much more than that though. I do know the person who was the GM under LaserQuest, and just before Covid, her location was one of the most profitable in the country.

Planet Lazer is incoming.

one_brick_at_a_time Sep 24, 2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stealthgirl (Post 9051727)

yeeeeeessssssss!!!!!!

one_brick_at_a_time Sep 25, 2020 9:51 PM

Southland Mall secured a new tenant in the former Regis Salon space. Sigh.

https://i.ibb.co/YjDDMKV/29614-E02-D...9683926231.jpg

yveseluj Sep 26, 2020 1:31 PM

The sure-fire sign of a thriving mall.

cityboy Oct 2, 2020 3:27 PM

Aurora
 
Just noticed that Staples and PetSmart are no longer on the Coming Soon section of Aurora's website, though the Staples at least is partially built already I believe. There is still a Google listing for it as well.

Edit: Scratch that. They must have been performing maintenance as both retailers are back listed on their site.

one_brick_at_a_time Oct 3, 2020 3:39 PM

Was thinking about Winnipeg’s recent announcement of their Hudson’s Bay downtown location closure. I am guessing that has to do a lot with the age and size of that building and how much work it needs done. With Regina’s location at the Cornwall Centre, other than the asbestos in the flooring, do we think the store might avoid the chopping block being in a newer (1980’s) building compared to Winnipeg? Also wondering if Regina’s Hudson’s Bay still does ok for sales compared to other locations.

Draftsman Oct 3, 2020 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9062637)
Was thinking about Winnipeg’s recent announcement of their Hudson’s Bay downtown location closure. I am guessing that has to do a lot with the age and size of that building and how much work it needs done. With Regina’s location at the Cornwall Centre, other than the asbestos in the flooring, do we think the store might avoid the chopping block being in a newer (1980’s) building compared to Winnipeg? Also wondering if Regina’s Hudson’s Bay still does ok for sales compared to other locations.

As previously mentioned by many, this store never seems to be busy. The lower level is a ghost town. There are very few employees there, and fewer customers.

With covid-19 there are fewer people working downtown. The exterior entrances, as well as the second floor mall access are closed. I assume the entrances from the SGI tower and the Sask Drive parkade are also closed?

It's too expensive for me, even when items are on sale. That said, there are a few good sales, especially on towels. I have bought some excellent towels on sale that are still great 5+ years later. The also tend to clear confections (candy, cookies, etc) when they get close to their 'best before' dates.

It's sad, because the original Bay store was really good years ago. I bought most of my clothes and shoes, and a fair amount of furniture, from there.

I think their logo should look something like this:

HUD$ON'$ BAY

StealthGirl Oct 4, 2020 3:08 AM

It might be a newer store, but remember it's still almost a 40 year old building and it looks it inside. The Bay downtown needs an upgrade inside bc it looks old and rundown.

cityboy Oct 9, 2020 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9003591)
Someone had inquired about construction of the new Sobey's Liquor on 13th Avenue & Retallack recently. I couldn't find the post ('one_brick' perhaps?). I went past the site this morning and activity has finally begun. There were a couple of trailers and what looked to be insulated concrete forms ...and workers too.

I can't help but think this is a missed opportunity to increase the density along 13th. I would have loved to see 2 or 3 floors on residential on top of the liquor store, similar to what is being built across from Connaught. As one of Regina's best family-oriented and walkable neighborhoods, I'd like to see it grow a bit more into something closer to Broadway in Saskatoon, and there is not often opportunity and/or demand to build new along 13th.

Draftsman Oct 20, 2020 4:11 AM

Cornwall Centre Excitement! New Store!!
 
Okay, so it is not exciting ...unless you are a fan of YOYOSO.

It's in the former Volcom space at the entrance to Urban Planet. Looks like it should be opening with a week or two.

Sorry! :haha:

one_brick_at_a_time Oct 20, 2020 9:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9078814)
Okay, so it is not exciting ...unless you are a fan of YOYOSO.

It's in the former Volcom space at the entrance to Urban Planet. Looks like it should be opening with a week or two.

Sorry! :haha:

Actually, that should be a good store for that spot. I was hoping for Muji but with Yoyoso at Southland Mall, that makes sense.

Draftsman Oct 20, 2020 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9078889)
Actually, that should be a good store for that spot. I was hoping for Muji but with Yoyoso at Southland Mall, that makes sense.

Yes, it should do quite well there - I am predicting much higher sales than at Southland. I am happy that something is going into that space. The store, just like the Southland one, will be bright and colourful.

A new toy store of sorts (Eswill Kid's Toys) opened a week or two ago in the former GNC location, next to Tim Horton's near the main mall entrance. This might just be a pop-up store for Christmas though. Looks like mostly made-in-China things but it looks quite interesting and should do well for Christmas sales at least.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.