SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

ethereal_reality Jun 21, 2018 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acorn8332 (Post 8226909)

I couldn't help :previous: but notice the large crane. Do you remember what was under construction acorn8332?

ethereal_reality Jun 21, 2018 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8226845)
Oh wait. I forgot about the mystery building that looks like a fort.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/7Lft01.jpg

I believe there is a tall flagpole on top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorendoc (Post 8227595)
I think that might be the Pacific Coast Club, which was built about 2 years before its still-extant neighbor Villa Riviera
which would place the photos about 1927...are any of the cars parked at the hot dog stand later than that?
Maybe the car experts can weigh in...I think the "flagpole" might be an artifact.

It does look fort like.

I think you might be correct Lorendoc. Thanks for trying to figure it out. (or for figuring it out)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorendoc

I think the "flagpole" might be an artifact.

I'm not sure what you mean by this?





It had slipped my mind that the Pacific Coast Club wasn't torn down until 1988. (such a shame :()

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/BqG6qq.jpg
google image [WE'VE SEEN THIS ONCE BEFORE ON NLA]



https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/RiQkN6.jpg
Rick Warren / flickr



https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/QVRYjD.jpg
Rick Warren / flickr






Main dining room of the Pacific Coast Club at 859 E. Ocean, Long Beach California.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/xpSQrX.jpg
CALIFORNIA STATE LIBRARY

All that's missing is Errol Flynn fluently swinging from the chandelier.


https://imageshack.com/a/img921/2999/UhJALe.gif
GIPHY

ethereal_reality Jun 21, 2018 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 8227815)
It's La Palma and Beach, e_r, just before Beach splits into Beach and Grand. We're at the northeast corner of Knott's.

OH NO is the familiar old miner and mule statue gone now?

https://s26.postimg.cc/dau51gbt5/Kno_Be.jpg
gsv

Yep--gone!

Well shucks. Do you think they moved the 'Miner and his Mule' to a different location inside the park?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/cMyyzh.jpg

ethereal_reality Jun 21, 2018 2:39 AM

re: Pacific Coast Club dedication ceremony.

I was going to let this slide....but I just can't.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lorendoc

Airplanes dropping bombs?? How is that medieval :shrug:



I keep thinking of those evil mice dropping bombs in Laurel & Hardy's Babes in Toyland. (I THINK THEY WERE MICE)

see next post

ethereal_reality Jun 21, 2018 2:44 AM

Whatever this is. (HALF Mickey HALF Rat?)

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/4500/Oy5DzK.gif
GIPHY / Babes in Toyland 1934

I couldn't find one dropping bombs.

_

acorn8332 Jun 21, 2018 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8228030)
I couldn't help :previous: but notice the large crane. Do you remember what was under construction acorn8332?

It was the "Criminal Justice Center" at Spring & Temple! Apparently on that October 1969 day, I was interested enough to point my Instamatic at it a couple of times. Once, from the City Hall observation deck.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1769/...b435ae79_b.jpg


And once again at ground level, shooting across Spring Street.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1790/...85d35ed6_b.jpg


That Dynachrome color really pops, doesn't it?

ethereal_reality Jun 21, 2018 3:03 AM

:previous: Thanks acorn....interesting pics!

not sure what Dynachrome is. Is it color using only variations of brown? ;)

acorn8332 Jun 21, 2018 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8228152)
:previous: Thanks acorn....interesting pics!

not sure what Dynachrome is. Is it color using only variations of brown? ;)


Dynachrome & Dynacolor was 3M's version of Kodachrome & Kodacolor. I think 3M did better with their Mining & Manufacturing in Minnesota. :D

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/888/4...c9fedb5f_m.jpg

odinthor Jun 21, 2018 4:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8228090)
Well shucks. Do you think they moved the 'Miner and his Mule' to a different location inside the park?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/cMyyzh.jpg

I'm hoping a more recent visitor to Knott's than I can give us good news on that!

Otis Criblecoblis Jun 21, 2018 5:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomara (Post 8227329)
I'm on a Mac, so no microsoft browser here.

My Mac Pro crashes daily.

Otis Criblecoblis Jun 21, 2018 5:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8227785)
Have you heard this month that IHOP changed their name?

http://dehayf5mhw1h7.cloudfront.net/...ob-220x145.jpg

IHOP, which recently changed its iconic name to IHOb, has revealed what the new consonant stands for: "burgers." The name change accompanies a line of new burgers at the chain.

IHOP seems to be hedging its bets by saying the IHOb name is "for the time being," suggesting the effort may be more of a marketing ploy rather than a true rebranding campaign. Stay tuned.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ihops-n...d-for-6-11-18/

IhoP or Ihob, to me the place is The House of Plenty of Burnt Coffee.

Handsome Stranger Jun 21, 2018 5:31 AM

https://s33.postimg.cc/nshpcn17j/mouse.gif
ER, here's your bomb-dropping mouse from Babes in Toyland, aka March of the Wooden Soldiers. It's a capuchin monkey in a very creepy costume.
[source: MGM Home Entertainment DVD]

The mouse looks suspiciously like Mickey did in 1934. Probably not an accident. Producer Hal Roach was a good friend of Mr. Disney.

https://s33.postimg.cc/4fqt6919b/four.jpg
Stan Laurel, Walt Disney, Hal Roach, Oliver Hardy

I usually love Laurel & Hardy films, but this movie is simply unwatchable.

Handsome Stranger Jun 21, 2018 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 8227815)
It's La Palma and Beach, e_r, just before Beach splits into Beach and Grand. We're at the northeast corner of Knott's.

OH NO is the familiar old miner and mule statue gone now?

https://s26.postimg.cc/dau51gbt5/Kno_Be.jpg
gsv

Yep--gone!

Huh? I checked Google Street View and saw this at the southwest corner of La Palma and Beach/Grand:

https://s33.postimg.cc/saoli43yn/miner.jpg
[source:GSV]

BDiH Jun 21, 2018 7:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 8228271)
https://s33.postimg.cc/nshpcn17j/mouse.gif
ER, here's your bomb-dropping mouse from Babes in Toyland, aka March of the Wooden Soldiers. It's a capuchin monkey in a very creepy costume.
[source: MGM Home Entertainment DVD]

The mouse looks suspiciously like Mickey did in 1934. Probably not an accident. Producer Hal Roach was a good friend of Mr. Disney.

https://s33.postimg.cc/4fqt6919b/four.jpg
Stan Laurel, Walt Disney, Hal Roach, Oliver Hardy

I usually love Laurel & Hardy films, but this movie is simply unwatchable.

I talked with Hal Roach in the 1980s and he said the project was taken over by Stan Laurel. Laurel was only given acting credits, but Roach said it was really a Stan Laurel project. Roach did not like the film, and in his nineties, he still wanted to remake it.

ProphetM Jun 21, 2018 7:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8226845)
Oh wait. I forgot about the mystery building that looks like a fort.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/7Lft01.jpg

I believe there is a tall flagpole on top.

That's not a fort or tower; that's a shallow-angle view of the flat front of a building, that comes to a peak in the center, with the side of the building to the left (behind the car). You can see the bottom edge of the roof - the horizontal line above the car - but the top edge is hard to make out.

odinthor Jun 21, 2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 8228299)
Huh? I checked Google Street View and saw this at the southwest corner of La Palma and Beach/Grand:

https://s33.postimg.cc/saoli43yn/miner.jpg
[source:GSV]

Whew! :tup: I had a bad angle on the corner...

HossC Jun 21, 2018 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorendoc (Post 8227595)

I think the "flagpole" might be an artifact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8228069)

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

In this case we're looking at definition 2c of "artifact" at merriam-webster.com:
a defect in an image (such as a digital photograph) that appears as a result of the technology and methods used to create and process the image

---------------


Quote:

Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis (Post 8228261)

My Mac Pro crashes daily.

I'll admit that this humorous acronym is probably at least 20 years old, but your post brought it to mind:

Most Applications Crash, If Not, The Operating System Hangs

I guess that computer people have as many of these as car people :).

FASTER345 Jun 21, 2018 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8223652)
:previous:

Here's a 1964 view.

This is where I work! Cool!

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...55&oe=5BEBD2B9

Ed Workman Jun 21, 2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8228152)
:previous: Thanks acorn....interesting pics!

not sure what Dynachrome is. Is it color using only variations of brown? ;)

Chrome - transparency film
But not Kodachrome for imitators, but Ektachrome
Think " All dyes may fade in time...."

sopas ej Jun 22, 2018 12:15 AM

Has this ever been posted here before?

June, 1919. Looking east from the intersection of 3rd and Hill. Notice it's the Vegetarian Cafeteria on the left, which is seen in other pictures posted here but from across the intersection, looking west towards the 3rd Street Tunnel and Angels Flight.
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...9a&oe=5BAC315F
Metro Library Archive

ethereal_reality Jun 22, 2018 5:20 AM

:previous: That's such a great photograph sopas ej. I don't recall seeing it on nla.

I like how the camera is looking straight down the banister.





Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 8228271)
https://s33.postimg.cc/nshpcn17j/mouse.gif
ER, here's your bomb-dropping mouse.

Yep, that's him Handsome Stranger!

Otis Criblecoblis Jun 22, 2018 5:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8228578)
I'll admit that this humorous acronym is probably at least 20 years old, but your post brought it to mind:

Most Applications Crash, If Not, The Operating System Hangs

I guess that computer people have as many of these as car people :).

Thanks, HossC! That's hilarious! And, sadly, an uncannily accurate description of what my Mac does.

ethereal_reality Jun 22, 2018 6:26 AM

1957 Rose Parade
 
The key to a good parade photograph is to capture a good portion of the buildings along the parade route.

The following two slides do just that....in spades. [c.1957]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/IIPmK4.jpg
EBAY 1957 Rose Parade

I actually when I saw this one. :previous:







This 2nd slide is no slouch either.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/hstgAb.jpg
EBAY 1957 Rose Parade

__

Ed Workman Jun 22, 2018 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8229673)
The key to a good parade photograph is to capture a good portion of the buildings along the parade route.
1957 Rose Bowl Parade

__

Waitaminnit
Folks of Pasadena may be up in arms
It's not the rose bowl parade, simply Rose Parade

ethereal_reality Jun 22, 2018 4:03 PM

I don't recall seeing the following two photographs of the old Vicente Feliz Adobe in Griffith Park.


"Eva Scott Fenyes was never so happy as when motoring and looking for adobes.”

"Eva Scott Fenyes made a study of an old adobe ranch house in Griffith Park. Her watercolor sketches of the adobe bear November dates
and the photographs December dates, so we might suppose she made two auto trips to the site which was about ten miles from her home
in Pasadena. She sketched the adobe working en plein air, as was her usual process, and “she did not use an easel but sketched on her lap."
JULIA STILES


Old Griffith Homestead Griffith Park. L.A. Dec 1914
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/BCbqoT.jpg
hometown_pasadena blog



https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...921/95j1ab.jpg
Eva Scott Fenyes; watercolored in situ on November 1914.






West facing facade.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/a7Vovn.jpg
hometown_pasadena blog

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/6Ngsfg.jpg
Eva Scott Fenyes; watercolored in situ on November 1914.


You can see the artist's watercolours at the Southwest Museum.



_

GaylordWilshire Jun 22, 2018 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8229345)
Has this ever been posted here before?

June, 1919. Looking east from the intersection of 3rd and Hill. Notice it's the Vegetarian Cafeteria on the left, which is seen in other pictures posted here but from across the intersection, looking west towards the 3rd Street Tunnel and Angels Flight.
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...9a&oe=5BAC315F
Metro Library Archive



Great shot, sopas. (It must have been great for women to get rid of all that baggy clothing and live a little during the '20s. And again
in the '60s when they finally sluffed off the dowdy uptight girdled look of the Miltown '50s....)


https://s22.postimg.cc/o9jse9wup/copflappers.jpg

ethereal_reality Jun 22, 2018 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Workman (Post 8229814)
Waitaminnit
Folks of Pasadena may be up in arms
It's not the rose bowl parade, simply Rose Parade

:previous: I typed 'Bowl' by accident. -damage repaired.



...speaking of the Rose Bowl Parade. ;)

Let's set the 'Wayback Dial' to 1906.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/Sbc7V7.jpg

Pasadena, California - Tournament of Roses - Rose Parade - H.C. White c.1906



https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/crHJWG.jpg
stereoview found on ebay quite some time ago.

_

Martin Pal Jun 22, 2018 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDiH (Post 8228304)
I talked with Hal Roach in the 1980s and he said the project was taken over by Stan Laurel. Laurel was only given acting credits, but Roach said it was really a Stan Laurel project. Roach did not like the film, and in his nineties, he still wanted to remake it.

That's cool that you got to talk to him! (Happenstance or any particular reason? I'm being curious...or nosey!)

I recently got a new DVD release of three Roach Films. I've seen two of them so far. Online there's some divergent opinions on TURNABOUT, but I think it's a veritable hoot! (Plus great art deco sets.) It's based on a Thorne Smith novel. Smith also was famous for writing the novels of Topper and I Married a Witch.

Flyingwedge Jun 22, 2018 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8229969)
I don't recall seeing the following two photographs of the old Vicente Feliz Adobe in Griffith Park.


Old Griffith Homestead Griffith Park. L.A. Dec 1914
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/BCbqoT.jpg
hometown_pasadena blog


West facing facade.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/a7Vovn.jpg
hometown_pasadena blog

_

I don't recall seeing them either, e_r. Thanks for posting them!

This photo shows the same side of the Feliz Adobe (where exactly was it?):

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...psjd7xf6vs.jpg

Hazard-Dyson Collection, Seeing Sunset, Islandora/UCLA


This photo is titled "Griffith Park House," but it seems to show a different location than the previous image:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...l.jpg~original

Hazard-Dyson Collection, Seeing Sunset, Islandora/UCLA

tovangar2 Jun 22, 2018 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 8230238)
This photo shows the same side of the Feliz Adobe (where exactly was it?):


Much altered, it's now addressed 4730 Crystal Springs Drive and serves as the Park Rangers HQ & Vistor Center

Flyingwedge Jun 22, 2018 10:16 PM

:previous: Hey thanks! It's good to know it's still standing. :)

BillinGlendaleCA Jun 22, 2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 8230386)
Much altered, it's now addressed 4730 Crystal Springs Drive and serves as the Park Rangers HQ & Vistor Center

It looks as though they've just added a bit to the southern side of the building and it blends well with the original construction.

ethereal_reality Jun 23, 2018 4:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 8230238)
This photo is titled "Griffith Park House," but it seems to show a different location than the previous image:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...l.jpg~original

Hazard-Dyson Collection, Seeing Sunset, Islandora/UCLA

:previous: This is a wonderful photograph FW. I like everything about it. (the fence rows...the plants...the out building (which I think is half shed / half barn)

The addition to the house is somewhat surprising. It looks like a complete little house built for Lilliputians. (either that, or the adobe is much larger than I thought)
-also note the slight 'gothic' overtones on the mini-me house.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/07vBab.jpg
detail

Come to think of it...maybe it isn't an addition at all. There might be a few feet of space inbetween the two.
I wonder if any of the early Sanborn maps show two structures in that spot? (I'D LOOK IT UP MYSELF BUT I HAVE DIFFICULTY LOCATING THE CORRECT PAGE)


All this makes me wonder if this really is the Feliz Adobe.
....and it makes me wonder if there were any diminutive people in the Feliz family tree. ;)

_

CityBoyDoug Jun 23, 2018 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8229999)
Great shot, sopas. (It must have been great for women to get rid of all that baggy clothing and live a little during the '20s. And again
in the '60s when they finally sluffed off the dowdy uptight girdled look of the Miltown '50s....)


https://s22.postimg.cc/o9jse9wup/copflappers.jpg

.....and in the current era, women have finally quit wearing nylon stockings except on rare formal occasions.

ethereal_reality Jun 23, 2018 5:59 AM

I didn't realize there was one of those 'muffler men' in Malibu.

Frostie Freeze, Malibu in the late ‘70s.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/pos4Zg.jpg
malibu/pac palisades

"The 21-foot tall staue was not an unusual sight around southern California at that time.
Originally designed to promote body shops and auto parts stores, the “muffler men” were manufactured
by a company in Venice beginning in the early 1960s."
JULIE ROSEN VOLLMER

hmmm...I also didn't know the muffler men were manufactured in Venice...interesting.



The Frostie Freeze muffler man was given a mustache, sombrero and burrito in 1988.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/sz9GgL.jpg
GSV

22800 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, California.
The business is closed:

__

BillinGlendaleCA Jun 23, 2018 6:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8230718)
All this makes me wonder if this really is the Feliz Adobe.
....and it makes me wonder if there were any diminutive people in the Feliz family tree. ;)

ER, I don't think that's the Feliz Adobe, it looks all wrong as far as layout and it looks like it's on a hill. The Feliz Adobe is on the eastern side of the park, not that far from the LA River. The hills in the background don't look right either. Actually, just to hazard a guess, I think it may be more on the northern side of the park. The slope of the hill in the back looks a bit like Burbank Peak.

CaliNative Jun 23, 2018 9:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8229999)
Great shot, sopas. (It must have been great for women to get rid of all that baggy clothing and live a little during the '20s. And again
in the '60s when they finally sluffed off the dowdy uptight girdled look of the Miltown '50s....)


https://s22.postimg.cc/o9jse9wup/copflappers.jpg

The 1920s witnessed some of the most rapid changes in U.S. history.

Except for those strange looking cloche hats that looked like helmets, women's clothing by the mid 1920s was essentially modern thanks to Coco Chanel. Hemlines reached a peak by 1928, just above the knee, and started to fall in 1929 about the time of the stock market crash. Hence the "hemline indicator" of market moves. Short hair on women ("bobbed") became common by the early1920s, and the norm by the late 1920s. Longer hair and longer hemlines on women returned in the 1930s, and essentially stayed that way until the late 1950s/early 1960s when they rose again. Hemlines didn't rise substatially above the late 1920s levels until the late 1960s during the mini-skirt era. The 1930s did see one major innovation in women's fashion--slacks. Women wearing pants was somewhat unusual in the '20s, but common by the mid '30s in leisure wear (but still uncommon in business attire). Pantsuits for women in a business setting didn't become common until the 1970s.

Men's clothing was also modern, except for detachable and starched collars still in vogue in business attire until the late 1920s. After 1927, men's collars became essentially modern and were usually sold as part of the shirt instead of being sold as detached from the shirt. Hats on men didn't begin to disappear until the 1960s, when JFK stopped wearing them.

Beaudry Jun 23, 2018 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8230777)
I didn't realize there was one of those 'muffler men' in Malibu.

Frostie Freeze, Malibu in the late ‘70s.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/pos4Zg.jpg
malibu/pac palisades

"The 21-foot tall staue was not an unusual sight around southern California at that time.
Originally designed to promote body shops and auto parts stores, the “muffler men” were manufactured
by a company in Venice beginning in the early 1960s."
JULIE ROSEN VOLLMER

hmmm...I also didn't know the muffler men were manufactured in Venice...interesting.

__

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/muff...ges/letter.jpg

https://americangiants.files.wordpre...pg?w=300&h=225

http://www.roadarch.com/13/11/sindinos.jpg

Roadside America, RoadArch

Flyingwedge Jun 23, 2018 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8230718)
This is a wonderful photograph FW. I like everything about it. (the fence rows...the plants...the out building (which I think is half shed / half barn)


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/07vBab.jpg
detail

Come to think of it...maybe it isn't an addition at all. There might be a few feet of space inbetween the two.
I wonder if any of the early Sanborn maps show two structures in that spot? (I'D LOOK IT UP MYSELF BUT I HAVE DIFFICULTY LOCATING THE CORRECT PAGE)

I'm glad you like the photo, e_r! :)

However, I could not find the buildings shown in the photo on the Sanborn or any other map. :(

Martin Pal Jun 23, 2018 6:22 PM

.
39 Vintage Color Photos of Los Angeles During the 1940's
About two weeks ago, someone posted this youtube video.

I didn't recall a few of the photos, however all of them may have been posted on NLA before,
but it was nice to view a slide show of them together. Personally, I didn't care for the musical
accompaniment to the video, but one can mute it if desired.

Video Link

Lorendoc Jun 23, 2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8229999)


The Hollywood LAPD station was at 1629 N Cahuenga, the ladies did not have to travel far for this picture :)

John Maddox Roberts Jun 23, 2018 10:03 PM

Could this be a young Dudley Smith?

Handsome Stranger Jun 24, 2018 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorendoc (Post 8231119)
The Hollywood LAPD station was at 1629 N Cahuenga, the ladies did not have to travel far for this picture :)

I'm fascinated by how frequently this little stretch of Cahuenga seems to come up in conversation here. Recently we've had discussions about the Spotlight Room, and Mickey Ward's L.A. Camera Exchange, both of which were on the same block. And the much discussed 1608 Cosmo Street building is just half a street away. There's a lot of history hiding in what looks to the casual observer to be a totally unremarkable chunk of Hollywood.

ethereal_reality Jun 24, 2018 4:29 AM

X MARKS THE SPOT
'mystery' location. [c.1948]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/VID2nj.jpg
EBAY

"X marks where we lived in Los Angeles Calif. 1948."

info. on the back
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...921/8F9Eiq.jpg

I thought it might be a fun to try and figure out where exactly this person lived.





close-up of the lower 1/3 of the photo
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/DyLtZO.jpg
DETAIL

Anyone recognized any of these buildings? -or perhaps the tall hill the photographer is standing on?

(a couple of the buildings looked familiar to me but they didn't pan out)


__

ethereal_reality Jun 24, 2018 7:16 AM

I happened upon this pic of the 'Bewitched' house while searching for something completely unrelated.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/EA0Ubd.jpg
bettermost_wyoming

The one and only comment was...

"Yes that's the place! I suppose that's a Purple Martin house at the peak of the roof."

First of all: I've never noticed those holes before. (despite watching 'Bewitched' all thru my childhood)

And 2nd: If I had noticed the holes, I would have thought they were there to let air into the attic.
__

What do y'all think...purple wren house or air vents?

THIS IS OF THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE ;)

__

HossC Jun 24, 2018 9:27 AM

:previous:

The holes look similar to those I found in pictures of free-standing purple martin houses, but I didn't find any built into gables. My vote is for attic ventilation.

Either way, the holes are no longer there.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...chedHouse1.jpg
GSV

GaylordWilshire Jun 24, 2018 11:25 AM

:previous:


The holes in the gable of 1164 Morning Glory Circle remind me of designer and builder William Mellenthin, who I thought we'd seen more of here at NLA. Famous for his houses in the Valley....


https://s22.postimg.cc/wvfpd55ch/mellenthin1.jpg
https://s22.postimg.cc/mldadxi1t/mellenthin2.jpg
https://s22.postimg.cc/9tz47gqa9/mellenthin3.jpg


He does figure into NLA post 42909

More here

Handsome Stranger Jun 24, 2018 12:37 PM

HossC is correct. The Bewitched house at the Warner Brothers Ranch lot (formerly the Columbia Ranch) indeed no longer has those holes.

BUT!...the holes still exist in the real house that the Bewitched house was based on. (267 18th Street, Santa Monica.)

https://s33.postimg.cc/siybwe7e7/haus.jpg
[source: Bing Maps Streetside]

Maybe someone should hightail it over there, knock on the front door, and demand the current owners explain what the hell those holes are for.

(Yes I'm kidding! About the intrusion, not about the house.)

odinthor Jun 24, 2018 12:50 PM

Interesting, e_r, HossC, GW, Handsome Stranger. Architects seem to have been very bird-minded in the late 1950s.

Here's a pic NLA has seen before of Schloss Odinthor, built in 1957, with odinthor himself, built in 1954, engaged in some nefarious task:

https://s26.postimg.cc/iqinz2rgp/TorsoLo.jpg
gsv

At the peak is . . . what has always been called the Ornamental Bird House:

https://s26.postimg.cc/n0amv4yl5/TorsOrn.jpg
detail of gsv, much enlarged

I've never heard an explanation of this feature, in which birds take a singular lack of interest.

Martin Pal Jun 24, 2018 5:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 8231334)
BUT!...the holes still exist in the real house that the Bewitched house was based on. (267 18th Street, Santa Monica.)

http://www.harpiesbizarre.com/mirror...rmirrorzap.gifLink

FYI: The Bewitched house, was originally constructed in late July of 1962 (according to actual Columbia Pictures documentation)
for the TV series "Our Man Higgins" with Stanley Holloway.
http://www.columbiaranch.net/


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.