SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

Stormer Oct 5, 2016 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 7584658)
can't they have 2 costcos?

Sure but not on the same street a few block apart.

jigglysquishy Oct 5, 2016 8:55 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Costco go in to Cooperstown in the next five to ten years.

kenskca Oct 6, 2016 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7573390)
Well it looks like Costco is going forward in 2017 as Aurora is up to RPC.

I'm really nervous the existing Costco site will be left empty and we start to see the hollowing out of the western portion of Vic East.

I'm not sure I would be too worried about that. Some big spaces have come up in that area in recent years (Zellers, Future Shop) and the space has been filled.

It is still a prime location with lots of traffic. If worse comes to worse, would the city allow a conversion to office space like the old superstore?

Stormer Oct 6, 2016 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenskca (Post 7585766)
I'm not sure I would be too worried about that. Some big spaces have come up in that area in recent years (Zellers, Future Shop) and the space has been filled.

It is still a prime location with lots of traffic. If worse comes to worse, would the city allow a conversion to office space like the old superstore?

Definitely not. There is an current app for a medium office building on Eastgate that is being denied by the RPC as it does not comply with the office policy.

Nathan Oct 6, 2016 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7585778)
Definitely not. There is an current app for a medium office building on Eastgate that is being denied by the RPC as it does not comply with the office policy.

Well, it's not like they always enforce the office policy.

(*cough* Conexus in Wascana *cough*)

HomerSPC Oct 6, 2016 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7585809)

Wascana is a lot closer to downtown than the suburbs.

Nathan Oct 7, 2016 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerSPC (Post 7586234)
Wascana is a lot closer to downtown than the suburbs.

True, but I would consider it more "off limits" for other reasons.

There are also the 3 complexes by the airport (though I understand not all businesses are geared toward downtown office setups).

Stormer Oct 7, 2016 1:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7586284)
True, but I would consider it more "off limits" for other reasons.

There are also the 3 complexes by the airport (though I understand not all businesses are geared toward downtown office setups).

The airport building were permitted at a time was vacancies were very low. The rules were different.

Nathan Oct 7, 2016 9:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7586380)
The airport building were permitted at a time was vacancies were very low. The rules were different.

Vacancies were low, but the downtown policy was still there. They made the exception because we really didn't have much office space at all outside the core and some businesses aren't geared to that style (e.g. courier companies).

BrutallyDishonest2 Oct 7, 2016 1:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7586561)
Vacancies were low, but the downtown policy was still there. They made the exception because we really didn't have much office space at all outside the core and some businesses aren't geared to that style (e.g. courier companies).

Courier companies are in warehouses not office buildings.

Nathan Oct 7, 2016 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7586683)
Courier companies are in warehouses not office buildings.

Yes... but that was one of the "examples" they gave when talking about how not all companies are suited for downtown space.

BrutallyDishonest2 Oct 8, 2016 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7587072)
Yes... but that was one of the "examples" they gave when talking about how not all companies are suited for downtown space.

But...that's a terrible example. They never were downtown.

Drofmab Oct 11, 2016 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7585809)

City of Regina can't enforce the office policy in Wascana... Wascana Centre Authority doesn't require the City's approval (in fact, WCA's legislative authority trumps the City's on all planning, design & improvement issues).

But yes - the City certainly has influence (and 3 Wascana Board votes), and hasn't protested the Conexus development.

Nathan Oct 11, 2016 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7590403)
City of Regina can't enforce the office policy in Wascana... Wascana Centre Authority doesn't require the City's approval (in fact, WCA's legislative authority trumps the City's on all planning, design & improvement issues).

But yes - the City certainly has influence (and 3 Wascana Board votes), and hasn't protested the Conexus development.

IIRC, the city transferred the land in question though, without which, the proposal couldn't have gone ahead as planned.

Drofmab Oct 11, 2016 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7590414)
IIRC, the city transferred the land in question though, without which, the proposal couldn't have gone ahead as planned.

In this case, the City happened to have a bit of control through land ownership (not policies or bylaws). If the City didn't transfer the land, the building would've just been built in a slightly different location on the College Ave Campus.
(I was going to note that WCA also has the power to expropriate land... but the legislation specifically excludes land owned by the 'participating parties' (City, Prov, and UofR) from expropriation by WCA, so that wouldn't apply).

StealthGirl Oct 11, 2016 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7590403)

WCA was set up to be separate from council. One of the reasons was purely financial; it can get funding provincially in a way other city parks can not. But it is ridiculous that the mayor and two of his council cronies are on that board in the first place.

Drofmab Oct 11, 2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 7590489)
WCA was set up to be separate from council. One of the reasons was purely financial; it can get funding provincially in a way other city parks can not. But it is ridiculous that the mayor and two of his council cronies are on that board in the first place.

Why is it ridiculous? The Province, City, & University are jointly responsible for financing & managing Wascana Centre. It would be absurd for them not to each have representation on the Board.

StealthGirl Oct 11, 2016 10:53 PM

Conflict of interest. Right now we have a council whose main concern is the construction industry and developers. The WCA board should be focused on the park alone, not on what's going on with the rest of the city.

Drofmab Oct 12, 2016 4:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 7590613)
Conflict of interest. Right now we have a council whose main concern is the construction industry and developers. The WCA board should be focused on the park alone, not on what's going on with the rest of the city.

If that's the issue, they have a conflict of interest on City Council as well.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Stormer Oct 12, 2016 4:45 PM

Acre 21 has it temporary web page up that confirms Save-On is a tenant. I am not sure what the second Co-op location is? It seems too large to be just a car wash. The Co-op gas bar is in the west corner and already has 2 buildings.

You can see the new bypass u/c in the lower right and Green Falls Landing directly west. This will also includes 25k sf of retail on the main floor.

http://www.acre21.ca/

http://www.reveraliving.com/about-re...-falls-landing