SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=170279)

CityBoyDoug Aug 15, 2020 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9011566)
Didn't either of you partake of the superb (or fine) food in the Grape Vine?


In my post above I wrote about the matchbook...




...when the photo of the place clearly says "restaurant." :help:

Martin that is amusing. I had not thought of that day since then. I really thought that I would not make it through that dark dungeon. I think the only light visible was the cash register and maybe the red exit sign. Food in that place...you're kidding? I didn't even want a bottled soda, let alone actual food.:slob: The bus station and the bar were totally separate. Remember, this is Hollywood, and not everything is as it may appear. When I was in college, I lived in Hollywood, my Los Angeles born mother was horrified. She knew too much. One rainy 1944 wartime night she was waiting for a bus....lo and behold, guess who gave her a ride .... radio producer Ozzie Nelson.

Scott Charles Aug 15, 2020 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9011566)
Didn't either of you partake of the superb (or fine) food in the Grape Vine?

At that time I think I was too young to enter a bar!

Godzilla Aug 15, 2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noircitydame (Post 7293238)



Then it was the Frascatti Inn in the Frascati mini-chain as of 1954.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...belle/1956.jpg 1956 LAT.

Interior as Frascatti Inn:
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...cati%20inn.jpg ebay.




:previous:


S. McQ across from 9501 Wilshire


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EA-AtusU...jpg&name=smallhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/EA-AtusU...jpg&name=smallhttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/79/e7...a905a91a78.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/79/e7...a905a91a78.jpg






https://i.imgur.com/5OY65rv.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/5OY65rv.jpg





https://i.imgur.com/JWhUto5.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/JWhUto5.jpg


https://up.picr.de/34865907ct.jpghttps://up.picr.de/34865907ct.jpg

BDiH Aug 16, 2020 5:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 9011391)
The Grape Vine Room had a backdoor in the alley. One time I entered that bar and walked from the back to the front, because the driveway was clogged with buses and I wanted to get to Vine St. It was very dark inside as sleazy bars usually are. This place was about 3 blocks from where I lived on Santa Monica, Blvd.


Several times at night I took a bus from that station to San Diego - mid 1970s. I was in my 20s at that time.

There was also an entrance to the Grape Vine from the lobby of the bus station. You can see the interior of the bus station in Stanley Kubrick's The Killing.

ethereal_reality Aug 16, 2020 5:40 AM

.
mystery pin-up....mystery location (although I'm pretty sure the location is Malibu)


Seller's description:..."May 20 Vintage Photo 2.5x.2.5 1956 Sexy Pin-Up California Beach w Dog #4"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/j2SwtR.jpg
eBay

...Nice pooch.

Anyone recognize the restaurant?









Fido does tricks while William Holden a man watches from a balcony.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/aFPtfJ.jpg





https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/VO5X38.jpg






I'd like to figure out which Malibu beachhouse belongs to this mailbox.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/1bUwSl.jpg

The Rolls Royce is one of the reasons why I think this is Malibu.....$ $ $






Here's a wider angle and a bit larger view.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/Kfewa6.jpg

The way it says COTTAGE on the barrel I think the place might be a rental.

All photos are 1956.


Link to the top photograph.

More photographs by this photographer Here.
.

Hollywood Graham Aug 16, 2020 2:34 PM

Rolls?
 
The Rolls Royce looks more like a Jaguar.

Earl Boebert Aug 16, 2020 2:39 PM

Etherial Reality sez:

"The Rolls Royce is one of the reasons why I think this is Malibu.....$ $ $"

I believe that is a Jaguar. Can't tell if it's a XK120 or 140.

Cheers,

Earl

MartinTurnbull Aug 16, 2020 4:47 PM

Ben Blue's dinner theater, Wilshire Blvd at 22nd Street, Santa Monica
 
A friend of mine was watching an old Jack Benny show and took this screenshot to ask if I'd heard of Ben Blue's. I'd heard of it but didn't know where it was. So a quick skidoo in the LACDs revealed this ad.

https://martinturnbull.com/wp-conten...a-Monica-1.jpg

https://martinturnbull.com/wp-conten...nta-Monica.png

AlvaroLegido Aug 16, 2020 5:24 PM

The Killing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BDiH (Post 9012032)
There was also an entrance to the Grape Vine from the lobby of the bus station. You can see the interior of the bus station in Stanley Kubrick's The Killing.

... which is supposed to take place in San Francisco. If I remember well the place where the mob meets is a Bunker Hill building : the Mission Apartments on the corner of 2nd and Olive.

Lwize Aug 16, 2020 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull (Post 9012239)
A friend of mine was watching an old Jack Benny show and took this screenshot to ask if I'd heard of Ben Blue's. I'd heard of it but didn't know where it was. So a quick skidoo in the LACDs revealed this ad.

https://martinturnbull.com/wp-conten...a-Monica-1.jpg

https://martinturnbull.com/wp-conten...nta-Monica.png

Is there an actual street address for Ben Blue's?

Wilshire & 22nd in SM has three of it's four corners redeveloped, the eldest being a school (which doesn't seem to fit as a previous nightclub).

IIRC, Madame Wu's was at the same intersection. Did Ben Blue's become Madame Wu's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCET
In January 1968, Madame Wu's Garden moved to an 11,000 square foot, mod-pagoda style restaurant at 2201 Wilshire Boulevard in Santa Monica. Designed by architect Guy Moore, it seated over 300 people and featured a huge stone waterfall, recessed lighting, Chinese themed murals, and rounded stucco walls.


HossC Aug 16, 2020 7:59 PM

:previous:

The previous page of the CD containing the advert for Ben Blue's has the following listing:

MERRY GO ROUND THE
2210 Wilshire (SM) EX 3-2249
(See our adv-Ben Blue-page 108)

The advert posted by MartinTurnbull is the one on page 108, and the phone numbers match. I had a quick look for a restaurant called "The Merry Go Round", but all I found were carousels on the pier!

CityBoyDoug Aug 16, 2020 8:37 PM

Bus Station ~ Grape Vine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BDiH (Post 9012032)
There was also an entrance to the Grape Vine from the lobby of the bus station. You can see the interior of the bus station in Stanley Kubrick's The Killing.

I've seen the The Killing several times ....of the Hollywood bus station lobby scene, several times.
If there was a connecting door to the Grape Vine its irrelevant. In fact, I've been inside both locations. It may be, that by my time in the 1970s, the door had been eliminated, as I don't remember any connecting door.

Also, thank you Alvaro Legido for your previous input.

ethereal_reality Aug 17, 2020 4:25 PM



This negative was on eBay a few days ago.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/5pmWM7.jpg




Here's a closer look.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/oiWzeH.jpg
eBay

This is the intersection of Wilshire and. .ummm . .runs off to google maps:runaway:


.

ethereal_reality Aug 17, 2020 4:58 PM

.
Here's another aerial currently on eBay that shows a stretch of Wilshire.



"WHERE CLIMAX CAME TO SINATRA JR. KIDNAPPING"...........................................

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/hpkKCE.jpg
eBay

I find this highly interesting because I've never known the details of the Sinatra Jr. kidnapping.



stamp on reverse.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/3...924/gq49tV.jpg
.

Martin Pal Aug 17, 2020 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9013074)

Here's a closer look.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/oiWzeH.jpg
eBay

This is the intersection of Wilshire and. .ummm . .runs off to google maps:runaway:


.
_________________________________________________________________


E_R, the intersection is San Vicente Blvd. looking south at Wilshire Blvd.!


You can see the same Van de Kamp's windmill in this c.1925 photo looking west on Wilshire.

https://i0.wp.com/martinturnbull.com...pg?w=768&ssl=1
BHHS


Or this 1940 photo looking east.

https://i2.wp.com/martinturnbull.com...68%2C436&ssl=1


There are currently plans to build this 12 story medical buidling at this intersection. THere's currently a Big 5 Sporting Goods store there. Looking north:

https://www.connect.media/wp-content...losangeles.pngConnectMedia


Have we ever discussed that Colonial looking brick building you can see here at the :previous: bottom right of the photo above, or in the top left of the 1960 dated intersection photo E_R posted?

Currently it seems to just be office space, but I wonder what it might have been built as. The address is 6535 Wilshire Blvd. The side street to the west of it is S. Sweetzer.

Otis Criblecoblis Aug 18, 2020 4:01 AM

L o l
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl Boebert (Post 9012151)
Etherial Reality sez:

"The Rolls Royce is one of the reasons why I think this is Malibu.....$ $ $"

I believe that is a Jaguar. Can't tell if it's a XK120 or 140.

Cheers,

Earl

I'm a member of the BMW Car Club o' America, and I must tell all y'all that there is a controversy in the current issue of the official publication, Roundel, about the identification of an XK120 vs a 140.

I mean, what are the odds? It must be something in the wind.

Mackerm Aug 18, 2020 4:04 AM

Another location from Kubrick's "The Killing." A little less than five minutes in, the crooked cop walks into a bar to talk to his loan shark:
https://i.postimg.cc/hPp2KvBK/Killing-Bar.jpg

YouTube. The Killing

The building across the street is the Charlie Chaplin Studios (pre-Kermit)

https://i.postimg.cc/sXdcTZp4/Chaplin-Stu.jpg
Google Maps

The bar is now the Crazy Girls Gentleman's club, 1433 N. La Brea.

https://i.postimg.cc/dQ9B93DG/Crazy-Girls.jpg
Google Maps

I worked this out from a production photo in "The Stanley Kubrick Archives" showing the crew on the street with the mountains in the distance. There is a Mobil station in the photo which is still there at La Brea and Sunset.
https://i.postimg.cc/nhNJdLWV/Killing-Production.jpg
The Stanley Kubrick Archives compact edition, page 103.

I'm mildly curious about the sign to the left of the Mobilgas sign. It looks like it ends with ...bruzzi. Maybe a sports car dealer?

Snix Aug 18, 2020 10:17 PM

The two-story brick structure at 6535 Wilshire Blvd. was called The Sweetzer Building. It was built in 1951 and housed the offices of entertainment attorneys Pacht, Tannenbaum & Ross. Hard to believe they were ready to tear it down when it was only six years old. (below LAT 1.27.57)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d74d5270_z.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9013176)
E_R, the intersection is San Vicente Blvd. looking south at Wilshire Blvd.!


You can see the same Van de Kamp's windmill in this c.1925 photo looking west on Wilshire.

https://i0.wp.com/martinturnbull.com...pg?w=768&ssl=1
BHHS


Or this 1940 photo looking east.

https://i2.wp.com/martinturnbull.com...68%2C436&ssl=1


There are currently plans to build this 12 story medical buidling at this intersection. THere's currently a Big 5 Sporting Goods store there. Looking north:

https://www.connect.media/wp-content...losangeles.pngConnectMedia


Have we ever discussed that Colonial looking brick building you can see here at the :previous: bottom right of the photo above, or in the top left of the 1960 dated intersection photo E_R posted?

Currently it seems to just be office space, but I wonder what it might have been built as. The address is 6535 Wilshire Blvd. The side street to the west of it is S. Sweetzer.


Noir_Noir Aug 18, 2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackerm (Post 9013929)
https://i.postimg.cc/nhNJdLWV/Killing-Production.jpg
The Stanley Kubrick Archives compact edition, page 103.

I'm mildly curious about the sign to the left of the Mobilgas sign. It looks like it ends with ...bruzzi. Maybe a sports car dealer?


https://i.imgur.com/x3snc5v.jpg
rescarta.lapl.org

Wenders Aug 19, 2020 2:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackerm (Post 9013929)
Another location from Kubrick's "The Killing." A little less than five minutes in, the crooked cop walks into a bar to talk to his loan shark:
https://i.postimg.cc/hPp2KvBK/Killing-Bar.jpg

YouTube. The Killing

The building across the street is the Charlie Chaplin Studios (pre-Kermit)

https://i.postimg.cc/sXdcTZp4/Chaplin-Stu.jpg
Google Maps

The bar is now the Crazy Girls Gentleman's club, 1433 N. La Brea.



https://i.postimg.cc/dQ9B93DG/Crazy-Girls.jpg
Google Maps

I worked this out from a production photo in "The Stanley Kubrick Archives" showing the crew on the street with the mountains in the distance. There is a Mobil station in the photo which is still there at La Brea and Sunset.
https://i.postimg.cc/nhNJdLWV/Killing-Production.jpg
The Stanley Kubrick Archives compact edition, page 103.

I'm mildly curious about the sign to the left of the Mobilgas sign. It looks like it ends with ...bruzzi. Maybe a sports car dealer?

Behind the truck transporting tires should be Tiny Naylor's diner, NW corner of La Brea and Sunset, assuming it was already constructed by the time the picture was taken. Same goes with Carolina Pines, across La Brea from Tiny Naylor's, right where the pine tree is, far right of the picture. Now it's a Burger King. My old Neighborhood (Lanewood Ave).


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.