SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=170279)

Otis Criblecoblis Jul 3, 2019 5:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man in the dark hat (Post 8621694)
I developed a love for film noir in film school and a love for Craftsman houses with the purchase of my own in the mid 1990s. I live in Eagle Rock and my hope is to find a photo of my house when it was relatively new.

Welcome to the thread! I hope you are successful in your quest, one with which I can empathize. We have a Victorian in Pasadena, and I keep hoping an early photo of it will show up here someday. We need to replace some missing bargeboards in the front gables, and although I have evidence of their mounting points in the gable eaves, it's going to be a hard sell with the city Cultural Heritage Commission without photographic evidence of the bargeboards themselves.

It's one of my big wishes that I could make the Googlemobile a time machins.

odinthor Jul 3, 2019 6:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8622357)
(I thought I asked this before, but I just did a search for Vibiana, and came up with nothing...)

This photo is from approximately 1899, and looks over downtown, facing south, from the direction
of Fort Hill. I have highlighted St. Vibiana.

Besides St. Vibiana, are ANY of the other buildings in the photo still standing?

https://i.imgur.com/Ncci8dW.jpg

Original (MUCH LARGER) photo on Shorpy:

https://www.shorpy.com/node/7263?size=_original#caption

Diligent search of the enlarged version of this at Shorpy will reveal, on Main St., the Castruccio grocery store, known as La Mariposa. Here is a detail from that image:


https://i.postimg.cc/25BbDfhx/Castruccio.jpg


No, this building does not still exist! But it appears that the Castruccio Bros. and their grocery store have not been mentioned previously here, and merit being recalled.

From The Illustrated History of Los Angeles County (1889), with further notes by me:

“The store, which is a large double room, with a rear alley communication for receiving and delivering goods, is stocked with a complete assortment of standard groceries and provisions, also wines, liquors and miscellaneous articles for household use. The house was established in 1868 [by James R. Moiso and Peter Castruccio], and hence is one of the oldest in Los Angeles; and the policy of its management has been so straightforward and honorable that it has customers who have dealt with the firm for fifteen years. It has a large patronage among the Spanish-speaking people of the city and surrounding country, as also many American ranchers, and enjoys a large restaurant and hotel trade, the average volume of business being $10,000 a month. The members of the firm own the brick building in which the store is situated”; Peter (Pietro) Castruccio returned to Italy, but brother Giuseppe took over; the store proper closed in 1904 (Giuseppe had died in December, 1903).

Man in the dark hat Jul 3, 2019 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis (Post 8622453)
Welcome to the thread! I hope you are successful in your quest, one with which I can empathize. We have a Victorian in Pasadena, and I keep hoping an early photo of it will show up here someday. We need to replace some missing bargeboards in the front gables, and although I have evidence of their mounting points in the gable eaves, it's going to be a hard sell with the city Cultural Heritage Commission without photographic evidence of the bargeboards themselves.

It's one of my big wishes that I could make the Googlemobile a time machins.

I share that fantasy as well, a googlemobile time machine. Somebody would have to figure out how to make money from it in order to marshal the resources to develop it. What I imagine is first zooming into a location on the map, there would be a sidebar something like a chamber of commerce brochure listing elected representatives, neighborhood schools, churches and organizations. Major news stories, telephone directories, statistics, etc. In the lower right hand corner a slider bar for years... As you entered pre-google years the map would have to revert to whatever photographs of the area in the time frame that are available. I think our only hope would be that a genealogical company company might develop it with access at a steep subscription fee. Oh...to dream...

ethereal_reality Jul 3, 2019 7:36 PM

A mystery slide to hold you over until after the 4th. (I'm skipping town)


This is from our amateur rail fan on eBay. Here is how the slide was described by the seller.

"Original Kodachrome Slide: LOS ANGELES RAILWAY Hillcrest & Florence INGLEWOOD 1950S"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/yQjZhO.jpg
eBay (no longer listed)

In the distance, there appears to be a rather impressive building.



Here's a closer look.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/KpWTCI.jpg
DETAIL
.................................................................................................................:fireworks:

.

ethereal_reality Jul 3, 2019 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 8620630)

PE never had an Inglewood Substation, e-r. LARy/LATL did have a substation which served its 5 Line, but it was located a short distance away within the grounds of the Inglewood Park Cemetery along Florence Ave.

Thanks for the information Mr. Henry Huntington esq. I have to admit, I haven't quite grasped the minutiae (minutiae for me, anyway) of the different r.r. lines.


For example..I was surprised to see this Pacific Electric Feight Depot so close to the Bekin Building on Highland Ave.( at Santa Monica Blvd.)


from our amateur rail fan again.

"Original Slide PACIFIC ELECTRIC RAILWAY, Hollywood Freight Station. 1950s'

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/MYWFNw.jpg
eBay.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Note the railroad spur in the background on the right.

I lightened the slide so we could see the station better.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/gIYdGi.jpg

See. :)...No applause necessary.








re: The massive Hollywood Storage / Bekin Building in the background.


A reminder for new comers. (hmm..it wouldn't be a reminder then) Whatever.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/Nku2pQ.jpg
organizinglosangeles

There was a NIGHTCLUB on top in the 1920s. (sounds like a Hollywood fable...but it's true!)




Ok, I'm leaving now. Have a great Fourth of July everyone!
.

Martin Pal Jul 3, 2019 9:40 PM

.


HenryHuntington Jul 4, 2019 4:14 AM

I have to admit, I haven't quite grasped the minutiae (minutiae for me, anyway) of the different r.r. lines.

No worries, e_r! That's why you have railfan types such as Yrs Trly to help out with this slice of detail. And besides, I get to feel like I'm paying back (or forward or sideways or whatever) a little to the vast NLA commonweal. Enjoy your weekend and thanks for the extra photos!

Note to Martin Pal while I'm here: those Hollywood Bowl fireworks photos are nothing short of spectacular! C.B. de Mille would be dying of envy if he weren't already among the departed. Thanks!!

ryanqv Jul 4, 2019 5:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8622985)
Thanks for the information Mr. Henry Huntington esq. I have to admit, I haven't quite grasped the minutiae (minutiae for me, anyway) of the different r.r. lines.


For example..I was surprised to see this Pacific Electric Feight Depot so close to the Bekin Building on Highland Ave.( at Santa Monica Blvd.)


from our amateur rail fan again.

"Original Slide PACIFIC ELECTRIC RAILWAY, Hollywood Freight Station. 1950s'

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/MYWFNw.jpg
eBay.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Note the railroad spur in the background on the right.

I lightened the slide so we could see the station better.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/gIYdGi.jpg

See. :)...No applause necessary.








re: The massive Hollywood Storage / Bekin Building in the background.


A reminder for new comers. (hmm..it wouldn't be a reminder then) Whatever.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/Nku2pQ.jpg
organizinglosangeles

There was a NIGHTCLUB on top in the 1920s. (sounds like a Hollywood fable...but it's true!)




Ok, I'm leaving now. Have a great Fourth of July everyone!
.



Dang now you got me reading about the Hollywood Storage Co tower. Interesting stuff! I found an article that was discussing whether it was the inspiration for the Tower of Terror at Disneyland.

http://creepyla.com/2016/10/05/is-th...wer-of-terror/


Construction of the tower.
https://i.ibb.co/F8Lhkfg/gap-construction.jpg

HossC Jul 4, 2019 6:23 AM

I found this bit of music in the USC Digital Library, and it seemed appropriate. As Martin Pal has already said, the 4th of July means that it's somebody's birthday!

"Let's all drink a toast
To our most charming host
For it's somebody's birthday today."


Happy Birthday, Bruce.

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/...sBirthday1.jpg
USC Digital Library - Dated as 1935

Otis Criblecoblis Jul 4, 2019 6:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man in the dark hat (Post 8622659)
I share that fantasy as well, a googlemobile time machine. Somebody would have to figure out how to make money from it in order to marshal the resources to develop it. What I imagine is first zooming into a location on the map, there would be a sidebar something like a chamber of commerce brochure listing elected representatives, neighborhood schools, churches and organizations. Major news stories, telephone directories, statistics, etc. In the lower right hand corner a slider bar for years... As you entered pre-google years the map would have to revert to whatever photographs of the area in the time frame that are available. I think our only hope would be that a genealogical company company might develop it with access at a steep subscription fee. Oh...to dream...

That's a great idea! But I meant it more literally. I want a Googlemobile I can take back into the past to document lost streetscapes in an explorable form.

Of course, it would need a cloaking device. . . .

Scott Charles Jul 4, 2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 8622449)
:previous: At the right edge of the photo, to the right of St. Vibiana's, we see the Second Street side of the five-story Wilcox Building
at the SE corner of Second and Spring. The Wilcox Building -- or at least ~20% of it -- is still standing:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9...1905spring.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9xIgpLa.jpg

My Lord, the way this city mistreats its beautiful pieces of history...

That said, thanks, Flyingwedge!

(Does that mean there are only TWO buildings remaining from that 1899 photo?)

Godzilla Jul 4, 2019 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanqv (Post 8623401)
Dang now you got me reading about the Hollywood Storage Co tower. Interesting stuff! I found an article that was discussing whether it was the inspiration for the Tower of Terror at Disneyland.

http://creepyla.com/2016/10/05/is-th...wer-of-terror/


Construction of the tower.
https://i.ibb.co/F8Lhkfg/gap-construction.jpg




The "creepy" article you reference concerns a different storage facility, not on Highland Ave., but at 3636 Beverly Blvd. Much has been discussed about both buildings on NLA.;)









http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=20521

Bekins on Highland
http://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/63...90/46/glre.jpg


American Storage on Beverly
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3a/7c/ef/3...09c05e55e4.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/736x/3a/7c/ef/3...09c05e55e4.jpg

SHERIFFPAUL Jul 4, 2019 5:24 PM

Happy Independence Day
 
http://brandettes.com/wp-content/upl...5-1050x699.jpg


Martin Pal, My office is at Camrose park in a 100 year old bungalow. It's at the Bowl. Nice pictures.

Martin Pal Jul 4, 2019 5:31 PM

:previous:

:cheers:

Martin Pal Jul 4, 2019 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8623420)
I found this bit of music in the USC Digital Library, and it seemed appropriate. As Martin Pal has already said, the 4th of July means that it's somebody's birthday!

"Let's all drink a toast
To our most charming host
For it's somebody's birthday today."


Happy Birthday, Bruce.

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/...sBirthday1.jpg
USC Digital Library - Dated as 1935
____________________________________________


I just had to listen to this song and luckily found one posting of it on youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xnw7RrR7Ac

Martin Pal Jul 4, 2019 5:50 PM

P.S.: As I was posting the above we had an earthquake. I hear it's a preliminary 6.4 centered at Ridgecrest which is quite far away from where I am, east of Bakersfield.

Where I am it felt like a rolling motion in a 4.0+ range.

Mstimc Jul 4, 2019 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8623790)
P.S.: As I was posting the above we had an earthquake. I hear it's a preliminary 6.4 centered at Ridgecrest which is quite far away from where I am, east of Bakersfield.

Where I am it felt like a rolling motion in a 4.0+ range.

I'm in North OC. Slow rolling; had to wait a bit to see if it was worth getting off the couch--it wasn't. But I'm hearing Ridgecrest and Trona got smacked pretty hard.

HossC Jul 4, 2019 9:16 PM

A recent article at www.pacificelectric.org has this great picture of when part of the PE's Subway Terminal tunnel was uncovered and removed in 1970. I think the image is new to the thread. The article also mentions that the Harbor Freeway was built over the tunnel, so does that section survive?

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/...nalTunnel1.jpg
www.pacificelectric.org/LeRoy Crandall & Associates

They also included this close-up.

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/...nalTunnel2.jpg
www.pacificelectric.org/LeRoy Crandall & Associates

badrunner Jul 4, 2019 9:53 PM

According to that article, the tunnel must still exist under the freeway, though it's probably inaccessible at this point. The part under the Bonaventure was filled in and of course the other end is also closed off:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._July_2017.JPG
wikipedia

Maybe there's still a way in, a ventilation or access shaft going down to it along the way. I bet it's spooky down there.

ryanqv Jul 4, 2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla (Post 8623654)
The "creepy" article you reference concerns a different storage facility, not on Highland Ave., but at 3636 Beverly Blvd. Much has been discussed about both buildings on NLA.;)









http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=20521

Bekins on Highland
http://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/63...90/46/glre.jpg


American Storage on Beverly
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3a/7c/ef/3...09c05e55e4.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/736x/3a/7c/ef/3...09c05e55e4.jpg


I never knew there was two! Very cool.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.