SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Urban Art (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Sim City 5 announcement leaked!!!! (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197958)

kingcity Mar 7, 2012 10:16 PM

awesome i wait since 5 years!

vid Mar 8, 2012 12:35 AM

In 1992, my uncle got a Super NES. Because it was on sale, he also got SimCity.

Some of my earliest memories are of playing SimCity. I still have that copy of SimCity. When our house flooded 6 years ago, it was one of the things I saved. Hard to believe that it is 21 years old now. Pong was younger than that when that version of SimCity was released.

MolsonExport Mar 8, 2012 3:35 AM

If we set transit funding too low, do SimMikeTorontos protest? :D

2013. The year that I disappear.

Ayreonaut Mar 8, 2012 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 5619807)
2013. The year that I disappear.

If the game lives up to our hopes, this forum will be a ghost town for a while until people start posting photos of their cities.

flar Mar 8, 2012 5:34 PM

I'm too old for this shit. Now watch my career go down the toilet starting in 2013.

fflint Mar 8, 2012 10:25 PM

I'm psyched--this is by far my favorite game, and I still play it--but I doubt my laptop can handle the new graphics engine. Just saying.

vid Mar 9, 2012 2:12 AM

I don't think any laptops will be able to handle this game until the game is at least 5 years old.

Illithid Dude Mar 9, 2012 2:45 AM

AAAaaaaaaaand we have GAMEPLAY!!!

http://www.hardwareclips.com/hdvideo...not-final-1of4

You should know that, as the game comes out in 2013, what you see is nowhere closed to finished. The graphics will look significantly better, as the developers say that the game is only 30% completed. Even so: Holy shit! It looks great! A little cartoon-y, but still great!

SpongeG Mar 9, 2012 3:20 AM

y'all probably saw this by now - but they give some details the last half, like the idea of tilt shift etc

Video Link

photoLith Mar 9, 2012 3:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid (Post 5619528)
In 1992, my uncle got a Super NES. Because it was on sale, he also got SimCity.

Some of my earliest memories are of playing SimCity. I still have that copy of SimCity. When our house flooded 6 years ago, it was one of the things I saved. Hard to believe that it is 21 years old now. Pong was younger than that when that version of SimCity was released.

The thing I remember most about the first SimCity was that the rail transit would sometime get stuck and just go back and forth and sometimes just randomly disappear.

BnaBreaker Mar 9, 2012 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 5617768)
What would be really cool is if they added time periods, like starting with the 1920's and going though all the different architectural styles.

Yeah, I've always thought that would be great to see. It is weird starting your city in the year 1900 with a couple thousand people and already having modern skyscrapers in it.

LSyd Mar 9, 2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BnaBreaker (Post 5621829)
Yeah, I've always thought that would be great to see. It is weird starting your city in the year 1900 with a couple thousand people and already having modern skyscrapers in it.

they already did that in SC4

-

vid Mar 10, 2012 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 5621207)
The thing I remember most about the first SimCity was that the rail transit would sometime get stuck and just go back and forth and sometimes just randomly disappear.

I loved how silly and unpredictable it was. It could be years before the train would go down a particular line. :haha: I liked bulldozing the track it was on while it was on it. I also loved the way it would go in and out of the train station for months at a time. Such an inefficient system!

The best thing about that game was the seasons.

Connect Mar 11, 2012 12:13 AM

I'm VERY EXCITED!!!! I'm already planning on buying a new computer to go along with the new game next year.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US

harls Mar 11, 2012 2:27 PM

I like.

Now I'll have to probably get a new computer.

rockyi Mar 11, 2012 3:33 PM

I haven't played it since 2009 when all my game disks were stolen. I'm ready to start again, this looks great.

navyweaxguy Mar 11, 2012 10:29 PM

i hope it will play in my iMac because i'm not shelling out for a new pc. my laptop is almost 4 years old and SC4 still brings it to its knees.

Visiteur Mar 11, 2012 11:41 PM

Since I was planning for a new laptop sometime in 2013, I am quite okay with the planned release date.

Already debating whether or not to pay for that pre-order...

nito Mar 12, 2012 10:19 AM

Started playing SC4 again a couple of weeks back. A couple of hopes for the next version:
- A greater focus on effective public transportation systems. One of my main gripes with SC4 was the poor out-of-the-box implementation of bus and subway systems (remedied to a degree with mods, eg on-street bus-stops). I'd love to be able to make proper railway lines and not simply tiles connecting up to stations. Interchanges would be a great assistance as well.
- Greater building diversity; even with add-ons, cities start to become repetitive in appearance.
- Underground/sub-sea power lines.
- Greater ease to build cuttings, embankments, tunnels and bridges that don't have disjointed approaches/appearances (or require mods).
- Better interaction with 'regions'; preferably without having to exit and re-load individual 'cities'.

It's good to hear that roads won't be restricted to a grid anymore, but I remain cautious that it doesn't lead to some fudged results. Non-grid road networks in Europe typically developed along historic routes and paths; the buildings subsequently created a tightly knit urban fabric, eg the Square Mile. It will be interesting how Maxis plan to allocate buildings to lots which have non-linear faces without computers imploding across the globe.

shakman Mar 13, 2012 5:50 PM

I am about faint due to overwhelming joy.

I still have my SimCity Game from my Nintendo years. Was this the very first SimCity?