SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Edmonton (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=648)
-   -   Tent Camping around Edmonton (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212844)

Nudrock Aug 19, 2014 1:46 AM

Tent Camping around Edmonton

A little help please. I am thinking of doing some car camping (tent) early September around Edmonton. I am not too familiar with areas west, north, east of the city and wondering if you people have any good recommendations for areas within about 2 hours drive.

Thanks in advance.

SHOFEAR Aug 19, 2014 1:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nudrock (Post 6696371)
A little help please. I am thinking of doing some car camping (tent) early September around Edmonton. I am not too familiar with areas west, north, east of the city and wondering if you people have any good recommendations for areas within about 2 hours drive.

Thanks in advance.

The family always used to go out to Pegasus just outside of Whitecourt. Haven't been in 18 years or so but it was a pretty decent place with very private stalls.

If you want some more adventure, and don't mind driving a little bit further, there are some fantastic locations on the Forestry trunk road just beyond Nordegg or at lake Abraham.

Some pretty good spots around the Brazeau dam just south west of drayton valley.

stefanYEG Aug 19, 2014 3:03 PM

Depends what you're looking to do. Pembina River prov. park west of the city is fantastic. They offer a beach area on the river and great picnic sites. There is also a river float. You can take a shuttle that will bring you up to the start (or drive if you have two vehicles, one to leave at the bottom) and float down to the campground.

For hiking and/or biking, or kayaking/canoeing I would recommend Elk Island Nat'l Park (Just east of the city on the Yellowhead). Lots of great trails and wildlife viewing. Astotin Lake is a fantastic place to paddle and has a surprisingly half decent beach (though I wouldn't recommend it for swimming).

cyeg66 Aug 19, 2014 3:22 PM

We like Elk Island Park or Elk Island Retreat, about 30 mins drive east of town. No beach but nice little quiet getaways. You can also golf Elk Island GC. It's a little 9 hole but fairly tough if your drives are wayward like mine. Unforgiving if you're even 2 feet off fairway. ;)

Coldrsx Aug 19, 2014 7:47 PM

' No beach but nice little quiet getaways.'

Actually there is...

I would also try Snow Valley, it is quick, surprisingly treed and a great hike to the river and back.

SHOFEAR Aug 19, 2014 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 6697425)
' No beach but nice little quiet getaways.'

Actually there is...

I would also try Snow Valley, it is quick, surprisingly treed and a great hike to the river and back.

I'd have to imagine the traffic noise is loud at night. I was disappointed camping at dead mans flats a few years ago with highway 1 traffic off in the distance.

Coldrsx Aug 19, 2014 8:48 PM

Not sure, but day camping down there wasn't too bad.... so nighttime should be ok?

ScottieA Aug 19, 2014 9:00 PM

My wife and I discovered Miquelon Lake Provincial Park east of the city last year. It was nice and quiet. The facilities are nice, and there is a beach, although unfortunately like many in Alberta, the water looked quite green with algae. For us, it's either that or Elk Island.

SHOFEAR Aug 19, 2014 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieA (Post 6697541)
My wife and I discovered Miquelon Lake Provincial Park east of the city last year. It was nice and quiet. The facilities are nice, and there is a beach, although unfortunately like many in Alberta, the water looked quite green with algae. For us, it's either that or Elk Island.

Miquelon used to be amazing. Used to go there all the time as a kid. Water was rather salty so it was nice and clear and very sandy. It's unfortunate that the water has fouled up.

Best lake water in the Edmonton area= Wab. Hands down.

Coldrsx Aug 19, 2014 9:25 PM

^biased, but I guess I will agree for re-invite:()

Nudrock Aug 21, 2014 1:14 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestion.
I've stayed at Snow Valley before and will stay there again for the night I am in Edmonton.

I will be checking out the other suggestions. Normally, I stay at campgrounds in provincial/national parks. Camping in the back woods on public lands and off of forestry trunk roads does not interest me at all as it feels a little too remote for my liking.

big W Aug 21, 2014 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHOFEAR (Post 6697563)
Miquelon used to be amazing. Used to go there all the time as a kid. Water was rather salty so it was nice and clear and very sandy. It's unfortunate that the water has fouled up.

Best lake water in the Edmonton area= Wab. Hands down.

I used to go to Miquelon quite a bit as a kid as well. I was there a couple weeks ago and I would not swim in there. I think you saying the water has fouled up is putting it lightly.

Airboy Sep 1, 2014 11:32 PM

Not camping but i recomend taking a trip out to Blackfoot recreational park east of Sherwood Park and on the south border of Elk Island. Went out to pre ride the area before a bike race next weekend and found it to be truly enjoyable experience. The part where we were riding and had a coupe of mule deer trotting ahead of us was quite an experience. I have been out in the winter to CX ski but never in the summer.

bulliver Sep 2, 2014 3:49 AM

Not sure if it meets your definition of 'around Edmonton' but me and the boys are heading out to Whitehorse Creek Campground near Cadomin next weekend. Haven't been there yet, but all reports say it's a great spot.