SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Brightline Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198371)

Nexis4Jersey Sep 4, 2014 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6716494)
But capacity isn't the limiting factor in US cities; demand is. FEC can build as much office and residential space as they can possibly lease right now, without a rail station.

As for traffic, remember that this is intercity rail. It won't bring any commuting workers to the site. A couple thousand folks arriving on the train platforms each day might support a Jamba Juice or a Starbucks, maybe a Hertz counter—but not any significant amount of retail.

Hotel uses are a little more related to an intercity station, but it's really hard to believe the South Florida hotel market would shift away from the beachfront. A 200-key Courtyard by Marriott might pencil out, but not one of the luxury flags.

I have to wonder if the whole AAF thing is just a Trojan horse so FEC can build a big grade-separated double- or triple-track connection to Port Miami for post-expansion Panama Canal containers without stirring up local opposition.

You sound like one of the NIMBYS who are opposing the project. The FEC used to run 100 trains a day a decade ago with its mostly single tracked network. They now run 25 to 30 trains a day , so the upgrades aren't for Freight...and their ROW used to be 3 and 4 tracks.

N830MH Sep 4, 2014 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6716366)
when do the new metrorail cars arrive ? soon I think....

Actually, they will be delivered the first new metrorail cars sometime in 2015.

atlantaguy Sep 4, 2014 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey (Post 6716542)
You sound like one of the NIMBYS who are opposing the project. The FEC used to run 100 trains a day a decade ago with its mostly single tracked network. They now run 25 to 30 trains a day , so the upgrades aren't for Freight...and their ROW used to be 3 and 4 tracks.

Exactly! I saw a rant from someone in Vero Beach on another site that claimed 30 to 32 high speed passenger trains a day would "destroy" the small towns north of West Palm Beach!!!

He also hinted that it was a secret government plan that will surely backfire.

eleven=11 Sep 4, 2014 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey (Post 6716542)

the AAF is 32 trains / 16 north and 16 south
my question is how many TriRail trains will also travel
towards Pompano Beach then switch tracks?
how many trains?

eleven=11 Sep 5, 2014 2:02 AM

More Cool Links
go to the AllAboardFlorida.com website
they have a very good media links section that has
been updating a lot of news links story's.
On sept 3 the CEO did a video interview on CNBC
Im guessing they expand to Jacksonville/Daytona in 2018

eleven=11 Sep 8, 2014 9:55 PM

so todays palm beach post talks about
the CNBC video I wrote about last week
BUT they mention that big news announcement
is coming this week (from the AAF twitter)
my guess is the train order or
maybe a hotel for the Orlando station.

N830MH Sep 9, 2014 3:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6717585)
More Cool Links
go to the AllAboardFlorida.com website
they have a very good media links section that has
been updating a lot of news links story's.
On sept 3 the CEO did a video interview on CNBC
Im guessing they expand to Jacksonville/Daytona in 2018

Is the trains is going to St. Augustine? I didn't even know that. Do you have a source for that? They won't go to Jacksonville or Daytona Beach.

eleven=11 Sep 11, 2014 12:20 AM

The Palm Beach post says the station
has been re-designed.
cant find any photos thou.
not sure if this was the News that AAF tweet'd about

Eightball Sep 11, 2014 7:13 PM

AAF trains to be built (assembled?) by Siemens in Sacramento
http://realtime.blog.palmbeachpost.c...lt-by-siemens/
Quote:

The initial five trainset purchase to serve the Miami to West Palm Beach segment will consist of two diesel-electric locomotives, one on each end of four passenger coaches. These diesel-electric locomotives will meet the highest emissions standards set by the federal government.
All Aboard Florida and Siemens plan to expand the initial trainsets to seven coaches, and purchase an additional five trainsets, concurrent with environmental approvals and additional financing for the segment from West Palm Beach to the Orlando International Airport.
The stainless steel passenger coaches, the first to be manufactured by Siemens in the United States, will be state-of-the-art, ADA compliant and designed for comfort, featuring special ergonomic seating and Wi-Fi...

202_Cyclist Sep 11, 2014 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eightball (Post 6725975)
AAF trains to be built (assembled?) by Siemens in Sacramento
http://realtime.blog.palmbeachpost.c...lt-by-siemens/

Great news! Investing in infrastructure creates good jobs.

Hatman Sep 12, 2014 2:28 AM

Two locomotives seem like a lot for only seven coaches. There are commuter trains that do push/pull with more cars. What is preventing AAF from using a cab car? Speed? Acceleration? Reliability? Legislation?
Obviously AAF and Siemens know what they're doing.
Awesome news. I love this project more and more with every announcement.

electricron Sep 12, 2014 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatman (Post 6726502)
Two locomotives seem like a lot for only seven coaches. There are commuter trains that do push/pull with more cars. What is preventing AAF from using a cab car? Speed? Acceleration? Reliability? Legislation?
Obviously AAF and Siemens know what they're doing.
Awesome news. I love this project more and more with every announcement.

The Siemens "Charger" diesel locomotives can only reach 110 mph solo, it takes two of them to sustain 125 mph.

Having a fully FRA compliant locomotive on either end of the train makes it more likely that the FRA might approve lighter built coach cars. Although I'll admit I'm not sure these coach cars will be built lighter.

Busy Bee Sep 12, 2014 2:56 AM

What's the deal with every passenger coach in this country being bare stainless steel? It's so effing boring.

Looks like we won't be getting anything as sharp as the European Railjets:

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6173/...d82e45_o_d.jpg
><><

electricron Sep 12, 2014 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 6726532)
What's the deal with every passenger coach in this country being bare stainless steel? It's so effing boring.

Looks like we won't be getting anything as sharp as the European Railjets.

Not every passenger coach in the USA is made of bare stainless steel, just a lot of them are.

sammyg Sep 12, 2014 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 6726532)

Looks like we won't be getting anything as sharp as the European Railjets:

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6173/...d82e45_o_d.jpg
><><

I believe it is because it's easier to clean graffiti off of a bare steel exterior.

Busy Bee Sep 12, 2014 9:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 6727288)
I believe it is because it's easier to clean graffiti off of a bare steel exterior.

Graffiti on urban trains is barely a problem in this country anymore, unlike Europe which never went to stainless steel. Furthermore, Regional and commuter passenger trains were never a graffiti target in this country like they are in Europe. One huge difference is the sheer security of yards and staging areas for trains in the US, especially post-911. You'd really almost need to have a death wish to "bomb" government owned urban trains, literally you might be shot as a supposed terrorist or something. It's not the old days of kids roaming around yards spraying subway trains, and if they got caught, essentially a slap on the wrist and some community service. In Europe it still occurs, especially on the continent for many reasons, the lack of a post-911 security state and cultures more tolerant of deviant art in general being two of them.

That's a little long winded way of saying I don't believe graffiti is a significant enough threat to lead AAF to choose paintless car bodies over the much more attractive painted shell. I think its a complete non-issue.

eleven=11 Sep 12, 2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 6726514)
The Siemens "Charger" diesel locomotives can only reach 110 mph solo, it takes two of them to sustain 125 mph.

Having a fully FRA compliant locomotive on either end of the train makes it more likely that the FRA might approve lighter built coach cars. Although I'll admit I'm not sure these coach cars will be built lighter.

good news about the trains
do they still hold 400 people?

electricron Sep 13, 2014 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6727717)
good news about the trains
do they still hold 400 people?

There's no way a 4 car train set can match the proposed capacity of a 7 car train set.
Assuming similar to Amfleet I configurations, ~70 seats per standard coach and ~60 seats per first class coach,

A (4) car trainset consisting of (1) first class and (3) standard coaches should have a capacity of ~ 270 seats.
A (7) car trainset consisting of (1) cafe/diner, (1) first class, and (5) standard coaches should have a capacity of ~410 seats.

I hope this helps!

ardecila Sep 13, 2014 3:51 PM

I don't know why there's so much handwringing over this. Just like airlines, AAF will adjust the seating and train length over time to match demand and they will adjust the paint scheme to remain fashionable.

If AAF is successful then they will be profitable, which means they will have access to capital and they can make investments like this. It's not like Amtrak where the money depends on Congress' mood and may not come around for another 40 years.

Hatman Sep 13, 2014 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 6726514)

Thanks for the info.

I still wonder about the economics. If 125 mph speeds are the main reason for the two locomotives (and don't get me wrong, I am all for 125 mph!), then the second locomotive is really only needed for the 40 miles where 125 mph is allowed. The rest - if I understand it all correctly - is either 79 or 110 mph. 40 miles at 125 mph can be covered in just over 19 min., while at 110 it takes just over 21 min., both not counting time to accelerate to top speed.
2 minutes doesn't really make a big difference - not enough to justify a second locomotive.
I wonder if this means they are expecting to run at 125 mph on other future alignments as well? Orlando to Tampa maybe? Are there many grade crossings between cocoa and Jacksonville?

electricron Sep 13, 2014 9:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatman (Post 6728523)
Thanks for the info.

I still wonder about the economics. If 125 mph speeds are the main reason for the two locomotives (and don't get me wrong, I am all for 125 mph!), then the second locomotive is really only needed for the 40 miles where 125 mph is allowed. The rest - if I understand it all correctly - is either 79 or 110 mph. 40 miles at 125 mph can be covered in just over 19 min., while at 110 it takes just over 21 min., both not counting time to accelerate to top speed.
2 minutes doesn't really make a big difference - not enough to justify a second locomotive.

There are several other advantages using two locomotives besides higher maximum sustained speeds.
(1) Higher reliability, in case one locomotive encounters a failure.
(2) Two cabs, one in each locomotive on opposite ends of the train means not having to build return loops or wyes to turn the train around.
Of course, having a cab in a coach would provide this (2) advantage as well, but not advantage (1).
(3) with FRA compliant locomotives on either end, the possibility FRA will allow lighter built coaches increases. (3a) Lighter coaches means lower operating costs due to lower weight. (3b) Lighter coaches means faster accelerating and decelerating, achieving faster average speeds.
(4) Two locomotives means more horsepower, allowing faster accelerating - and due to twice the counter EMF in the twice as many electric motors, faster decelerating too.
(5)Don't forget, the last 40 miles into Orlando will be single track - even a gain or loss of just two minutes (four minutes roundtrip) can affect train scheduling.

lrt's friend Sep 14, 2014 1:00 AM

40 miles at 125mph is more like 20 minutes not 2 minutes.

electricron Sep 14, 2014 5:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrt's friend (Post 6728742)
40 miles at 125mph is more like 20 minutes not 2 minutes.

Actually, 40 miles at 125 mph is 19 minutes and 12 seconds. And 40 miles at 110 mph is 21 minutes and 49 seconds. The difference between the two train speeds is 2 minutes and 37 seconds....

That's the two minutes being discussed earlier. Is basic mathematics too difficult to discuss around here?

eleven=11 Sep 14, 2014 7:49 AM

I am no expert on trains more interested in this story
about the Miami/Ft Laud/WPH stations and development.
I don't think you need two trains because you cant turn around
that sounds stupid, pretty sure trains can go forward and reverse
I think tri-Rail has 2 train engines.
Anybody know about the new WPB station re-design ???

that 40 miles of single track, very important for the extra speed
so the next train can arrive in the other direction.....
also the single track ? if they expand to Jacksonville
will this cause a problem for more trains?
actually the Jacksonville trains maybe less then the 16/16 trains
more like 8 north to daytona 8 south to the airport

Eightball Sep 14, 2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 6728914)
Actually, 40 miles at 125 mph is 19 minutes and 12 seconds. And 40 miles at 110 mph is 21 minutes and 49 seconds. The difference between the two train speeds is 2 minutes and 37 seconds....

That's the two minutes being discussed earlier. Is basic mathematics too difficult to discuss around here?

He was saying how long 40 miles approximately takes at 125mph, not the differences between 110 and 125.

BTW more info on the trainsets here (as 202 mentioned great opportunity to create American jobs!):
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101992801
Quote:

The trains will be made in Siemens' solar-powered rail manufacturing hub in Sacramento, California, with traction motors and gearboxes coming from Norwood, Ohio; propulsion containers from Alpharetta, Georgia; and diesel engines manufactured by Cummins in Seymour, Indiana...
We are very excited about Florida," Cahill said, noting that it's privately owned. "It could be the beginning of something much bigger. There is a rail resurgence we see across the nation because other modes of transportation are quite congested."

Cahill said Siemens is also very interested in bidding on the California high-speed rail project (It's right in our backyard") but declined to say whether the company was bidding on a contract to build Amtrak's replacement Acela trains.

Amtrak is currently seeking request for proposals to build new high-speed passenger trains for its Northeast Corridor. Bids are due Oct. 1 for up to 28 new Acela Express train sets, with a requirement that they can reach 160 miles per hour when delivered and have the ability to be modified to achieve faster speeds, said Amtrak spokesman Craig Schulz.

electricron Sep 14, 2014 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eightball (Post 6728998)
He was saying how long 40 miles approximately takes at 125mph, not the differences between 110 and 125.

Really? What Hatman wrote initially, as I quote;
"40 miles at 125 mph can be covered in just over 19 min., while at 110 it takes just over 21 min., both not counting time to accelerate to top speed.
2 minutes doesn't really make a big difference - not enough to justify a second locomotive."

Eightball Sep 14, 2014 3:31 PM

I don't really care either way but I was talking about what lrt's friend said.

N830MH Sep 15, 2014 4:36 AM

Wave streetcar loop proposed for Flagler Village

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#secti.../p2p-81316808/

Quote:

The first set of tracks hasn't been laid yet for the city's planned $142.6 million Wave electric streetcar project, but officials are already considering a $7.2 million upgrade.

Proponents say creating a loop at the project's northern end along Northeast Sixth Street in Flagler Village would promote redevelopment of more properties and would be an asset to the city's efforts to attract businesses to Sistrunk Boulevard to the west.

"The Sistrunk investment was huge. It was about a $15 million investment and it showed commitment and it showed the right direction to take that street into the future," said developer Alan Hooper, who owns properties in Flagler Village where the loop would be. "This is as big an investment, as big of a decision for Flagler Village as [that] was for Sistrunk."

eleven=11 Sep 17, 2014 7:27 AM

the AAF tv commercial is great seen it tons of times very good
Now there is a new Siemens tv commercial
not about florida , but about trains
very patriotic makes you feel good about made in the USA
This AAF project is a slam dunk

eleven=11 Sep 22, 2014 2:29 AM

if anybody wants good quality info on AAF
check out reasonrail.blogspot.com

Hatman Sep 23, 2014 7:22 AM

Great link.
The horse-power per ton for two locomotives and seven coaches makes sense to me. Also, everything Electricron said before. I'm on board with this idea now.
Also, I like how everything is being designed for future 9-coach trains. And how the tickets have a boarding door for 1-minute long station dwells. The more I learn about this project the more I love it.
But there is one question I have that hasn't been answered... In building the line from Cocoa to Orlando, are they designing for an eventual second track, or do they think it will always be single-track? I don't see how there could be any higher frequency than 1 hour headways without a second track.

Busy Bee Sep 24, 2014 3:30 PM

Glimpse of Siemens Charger and Viaggio coach model at Innotrans 2014 in Berlin:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2944/...29e93433_b.jpg
><><

Jasonhouse Sep 24, 2014 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatman (Post 6739914)
Great link.
The horse-power per ton for two locomotives and seven coaches makes sense to me. Also, everything Electricron said before. I'm on board with this idea now.
Also, I like how everything is being designed for future 9-coach trains. And how the tickets have a boarding door for 1-minute long station dwells. The more I learn about this project the more I love it.
But there is one question I have that hasn't been answered... In building the line from Cocoa to Orlando, are they designing for an eventual second track, or do they think it will always be single-track? I don't see how there could be any higher frequency than 1 hour headways without a second track.

If it takes roughly 20 minutes for a train to traverse the distance, doesn't that mean that it's more like 5 trains every two hours that can come or go on that segment?

And wouldn't they be able to do like a passing zone in the middle to boost frequencies?

electricron Sep 25, 2014 2:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonhouse (Post 6742035)
If it takes roughly 20 minutes for a train to traverse the distance, doesn't that mean that it's more like 5 trains every two hours that can come or go on that segment?

And wouldn't they be able to do like a passing zone in the middle to boost frequencies?

It could be three trains every hour with 20 minutes elapse times over the single track.

Yes, a passing siding midway in the single track milage potentially allows doubling the number of trains per hour.

In either case, only if every train was absolutely on time. Which only happens in Japan systematically.

Yet, they only require two trains per hour, one in each direction, as stated in their EIS. For initial operations, a passing siding isn't needed on the single track milage. But that doesn't mean they will not build one - or two.

Hatman Sep 25, 2014 6:18 AM

The 20 minutes we're talking about was arrived at assuming a constant speed of 125 miles per hour - so if we were to count time to accelerate up to speed and then decelerate, we may arrive at a figure closer to half an hour.
I'm not sure a passing siding would be the best solution, because it means one train has to slow down to switching speeds. I don't know what the speed limit is for high-speed switching tracks internationally, but here in the (western) USA I haven't heard of one that diverges at a speed greater than 45 miles per hour. That's about one third of the 125 mile per hour speed limit. The point being that a passing siding would make the journey even slower. That may be a price AFF is willing to take to increase capacity, but making a 3 hour trip even longer is rarely a good marketing strategy.
I hope something is done eventually to allow an increased frequency during peak hours. It's no good turning customers away at peak hours and having empty seats during non-peak hours.

Also, AWESOME picture Busy Bee. I like the look of that train. It looks like the Locomotive is as long as the passenger car? I like long locomotives (I'm a fan of the old E units of the streamliner age). It's just so much cooler when the locomotives match the cars in all dimensions, including length - it really makes the train look like a complete set rather than a hodge-podge of the cheapest available equipment.

Nexis4Jersey Sep 25, 2014 6:48 AM

Any recent construction pictures?

N830MH Sep 26, 2014 4:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey (Post 6742641)
Any recent construction pictures?

Please be patient. Give it some time. They will working on it.

llamaorama Sep 26, 2014 6:05 AM

It looks like the railjet in Austria.

Hatman Sep 27, 2014 3:09 AM

Railjet is very cool-looking. It's got nice matching lines down the whole train, and the cars are probably the same ones AAF is getting. But I hope the ends are more streamlined than the Railjet, because the 'shovel-nose' look of the railjet consist doesn't exactly scream 'speed!!!' to me.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...NkWMm-djU3BR9g

I hope the design from that video AAF released makes it through to final production. It almost looks like the ICE 3/Velaro, but a diesel locomotive:
http://mediaassets.tcpalm.com/photo/....0_640_480.jpg
Video Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhG5ImwYBYg

chris08876 Oct 8, 2014 12:34 PM

Second Phase Of Miami-Orlando Rail Line Could Also Be Privately Financed

http://i.imgur.com/P3Ct8XC.jpg

Quote:

All Aboard Florida is considering a return to the private bond market for a second time, after completing a bond sale successfuly earlier this year.

In June, the company successfully sold $405 million in bonds in a deal that ‘wowed’ the bond markets. Those funds were only intended to cover construction of the first phase between Miami and West Palm Beach, which is already underway.

Instead of using a Railroad Rehabilitation & Improvement Financing loan from the Federal Railroad Administration for the second phase, the company now says that they determined to pursue Private Activity Bonds, which are tax-free and privately financed. Since they are sold to private investors, the company says that taxpayers won’t be taking on any risk of a default. The PABs would either replace or reduce a potential RRIF loan, which was originally expected to be $1.6 billion.

Despite the change in financing, opposition groups north of Palm Beach are continuing to fight the project over traffic, safety and noise concerns that they say would disrupt their way of life way while bringing no benefits.
From the All Aboard Florida website:

Quote:

All Aboard Florida successfully secured private financing for the first phase of the project earlier this year. We have therefore determined to pursue private debt financing for the remaining capital needed.

All Aboard Florida hopes to utilize an existing program, Private Activity Bonds (PAB), which are designed to encourage private companies to invest in public infrastructure. A PAB allocation would represent an alternative plan to finance the project and would replace or substantially reduce the current Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing (RRIF) request. Investors in PABs are private entities, therefore, this financing mechanism poses zero risk to the local, county, state or federal governments.
====================================
October 7, 2014
http://www.exmiami.org/index.php/sec...tely-financed/

eleven=11 Oct 9, 2014 12:38 AM

go AAF

still voting for Charlie Christ.

Hatman Oct 9, 2014 2:18 AM

Wow, I'm impressed. Who knew anyone could raise that much money for a private passenger rail project - especially in the USA? This doesn't change the project much, but it certainl does change the "narrative" - as in now this is so much less of a political issue. And who knows? Maybe some other group might be hoping to raise capital for their own passenger rail service, and this will set some sort of precident? Or at least encouragement to keep trying? (I'm thinking specifically of the LA/LV corridor.)
I guess I have to say it again: The more I learn about this project, the more I love it.

N830MH Oct 9, 2014 2:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6761492)
go AAF

still voting for Charlie Christ.

Yeah! Vote him now! Go for it!

eleven=11 Oct 10, 2014 9:18 AM

good news about AAF they must have good people managing this stuff
ABOUT this LOAN thing
maybe just wait till early 2015 and see who wins the election
and get new loan for the expansion to Jacksonville
this loan thing is stupid the Govt spends billions on roads and highways

M II A II R II K Oct 10, 2014 8:33 PM

Massive MiamiCentral train station would be a new urban hub downtown

Read More: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...le2538964.html

Quote:

It might be the biggest thing to happen in downtown Miami since Henry Flagler brought his railroad south and created downtown Miami. And it’s happening sooner than you might think, on the same long-vacant acreage where Flagler built his little Miami train depot more than a century ago.

- MiamiCentral, the name chosen for the complex by All Aboard Florida, represents an ambitious and unusual all-at-once marriage of heavy infrastructure with urban revitalization that would turn a drab stretch of downtown into a bustling fulcrum of transportation and human activity — including a food market, shops, restaurants, offices and two residential towers with that increasingly rare commodity, 800 rental apartments affordable to people who work in the neighborhood.

- The station architecture, by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, designers of the new One World Trade Center tower and the Time Warner Center in Manhattan, in collaboration with Zyscovich Architects of Miami, is still being refined. But the architects want to suspend the three towers on columns over the train platform. All Aboard is also in talks with developers of a planned hotel and exposition center next door on the site of the old Miami Arena to hook the two up with some kind of elevated walkway. That would allow conventioneers to take Metrorail from Miami International Airport, or All Aboard from Orlando, West Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale, and dispense with a car, Reininger said.

- Because it’s Miami, where most people will still rely on cars to get around, MiamiCentral also accommodates substantial parking. Garages for the residential towers will be integrated into the station structure. The main station parking, with 1,800 spots, will be a block away at 700 MiamiCentral, which All Aboard is developing under a deal with the city’s Community Redevelopment Agency for Overtown. The train platform would be elevated 50 feet above street level, in part to allow Northwest Fifth and Sixth Streets, major east-west connectors, to remain open beneath the station. But those through-ways would not be dark tunnels. Natural light will pour down through openings in the platform, Reininger said.

- The train platform would be elevated 50 feet above street level, in part to allow Northwest Fifth and Sixth Streets, major east-west connectors, to remain open beneath the station. But those through-ways would not be dark tunnels. Natural light will pour down through openings in the platform, Reininger said. --- The station architecture, by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, designers of the new One World Trade Center tower and the Time Warner Center in Manhattan, is still being refined. But the architects want to suspend the three towers on columns over the train platform.

- The two retail floors at the base of the complex would be enclosed in glass, brightly transparent and fully accessible from the street, a design that county reviewers praised in their analysis. --- “It’s what you’d expect to see in a vibrant downtown,” Reininger said. “Because of where it is, it needs to be a beautiful work of civic infrastructure. It’s going to be an iconic, photogenic place.”

- County reviewers have some issues, documents show. Transit officials want a definitive commitment and clear designs from All Aboard for the Metrorail and Metromover connections, both elevated and at ground level, in particular along Sixth Street, which will be the link between the main station complext and the Overtown project. --- Planners say the site plans also don’t do enough to make sidewalks around the station welcoming to pedestrians, and they’re requiring a greater amount and variety of greenery, including shade trees, on its perimeter.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...amiCentral.jpg

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...Station-01.jpg

bobdreamz Oct 10, 2014 9:14 PM

^ "Transit officials want a definitive commitment and clear designs from All Aboard for the Metrorail and Metromover connections, both elevated and at ground level, in particular along Sixth Street, which will be the link between the main station complext and the Overtown project."

This is probably one of the most important parts of the project which is having passengers disembark from a AAF train and walk across the street to connect with Metrorail & Metromover to get around Miami.
As the article said this will transform the western edge of downtown Miami along with the massive Miami World Center project immediately to the station's east.

eleven=11 Oct 10, 2014 9:15 PM

What about Tri-Rail ??
I thought it was official that tri-rail was expanding

bobdreamz Oct 10, 2014 9:38 PM

^Tri-Rail is wanting to expand to a second commuter line that would run on the AAF train tracks & be called Tri-Rail Coastal link which would run farther to the east and serve all of major downtown areas in W. Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale & Miami.
The problem is funding for this second commuter line. It would cost between $720-$800 Million to start this second line.
In addition, if Governor Rick Scott is re-elected he has told the current Tri-Rail system that he will cut off all funding after 2017 for the commuter rail line which means the possible end of Tri-Rail as we know it after 25 years of service.

More info on Coastal Link :http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...s-second-track

Hatman Oct 11, 2014 2:43 AM

So it looks like they are building 4 tracks at this station when theoretically they would only need two... does this mean they are anticipating TRI-rail service in the future, or are they serious about the Jacksonville segment? I think it is interesting they appear to be building all 4 all at once, rather than doing it in phases.

N830MH Oct 11, 2014 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 6763661)
good news about AAF they must have good people managing this stuff
ABOUT this LOAN thing
maybe just wait till early 2015 and see who wins the election
and get new loan for the expansion to Jacksonville
this loan thing is stupid the Govt spends billions on roads and highways

How about St. Augustine, FL? They won't be in JAX. JAX is too far away from there. They want to go to St. Augustine. Can they consider it?