SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

buzzg Oct 24, 2020 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9079480)
I was looking at the Winnipeg Retail thread today and noticed that someone had posted a link to an article from Retail-Insider.com regarding Hudson's Bay real estate, but what I found fascinating is the number of locations where HBC has not been paying rent. If they aren't paying rent in other cities, I can imagine they aren't paying the owners of Cornwall Centre either.

I know this had been discussed a fair number of times in our own Regina Retail thread, but things do not sound good for HBC, and our dumpy store.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-estate-assets

This is over a dispute with a specific landlord group, only in Quebec.

Draftsman Oct 24, 2020 3:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzg (Post 9083790)
This is over a dispute with a specific landlord group, only in Quebec.

That's not true. There are three malls in Quebec (Centre Rockland, Mall Champlain, Centre Laval) owned by Cominar REIT, but if you read on, Oxford Properties is suing HBC for unpaid rent in 11 of their malls containing HBC stores.
It wouldn't surprise me if there aren't more.

Stormer Oct 27, 2020 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9083079)
Yes, it is sad to see another Canadian retailer fall.

It's not a matter of 'if' another chain will fail, but when. I am sure many retailers are hoping for good holiday sales, and if not, then we will most likely see many more in the first or second quarter of 2021.

In the new year it will be a bloodbath.

cityboy Oct 28, 2020 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9082692)
Holy mackerel! Another new store opening soon at Cornwall Centre? Where do they find these wonderful stores? :haha:

Charmed Aroma will be opening in the former David's Tea location.

From their website (ca.charmedaroma.com):

"FIND SURPRISE JEWELRY INSIDE EVERY CANDLE AND BATH BOMB!"

Umm....No thanks :(

As much as I'm not too excited by this, I see this and YOYOSO as positive developments. After a long period where the mall management seemed to be dragging their asses, they seem to be filling up all vacant spaces, and doing so in a crushing retail environment. They realize the optics of empty store fronts over the Christmas season will be dire. Now, I know these are not high end national brands, but I just had a look at the store directory and I see they've also added Oliver's back, that leather place, the toy place, as well as Sask Handmade and Dean Renwick popups. It will definitely help the vitality of the mall until they start to formulate a sustainable long-term solution. Southland is going medical, I'd like to see Cornwall go lifestyle, as others have mentioned. A Goodlife, perhaps a Cactus Club on the mainfloor Sears space facing Hamilton. If and when The Bay leaves, dare I say, I'd love to see another cinema again, although I know it's pretty unlikely.

one_brick_at_a_time Oct 28, 2020 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityboy (Post 9088282)
As much as I'm not too excited by this, I see this and YOYOSO as positive developments. After a long period where the mall management seemed to be dragging their asses, they seem to be filling up all vacant spaces, and doing so in a crushing retail environment. They realize the optics of empty store fronts over the Christmas season will be dire. Now, I know these are not high end national brands, but I just had a look at the store directory and I see they've also added Oliver's back, that leather place, the toy place, as well as Sask Handmade and Dean Renwick popups. It will definitely help the vitality of the mall until they start to formulate a sustainable long-term solution. Southland is going medical, I'd like to see Cornwall go lifestyle, as others have mentioned. A Goodlife, perhaps a Cactus Club on the mainfloor Sears space facing Hamilton. If and when The Bay leaves, dare I say, I'd love to see another cinema again, although I know it's pretty unlikely.

A downtown Landmark VIP or Cineplex VIP would be amazing!

cityboy Oct 28, 2020 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9088381)
A downtown Landmark VIP or Cineplex VIP would be amazing!

I agree! I think what makes it viable in Saskatoon but not yet here is the number living downtown, although I would argue that it could become a destination in and of itself while utilizing the Cornwall parkade. Does anybody know what the current numbers are for those residing downtown or adjacent in Regina vs. Saskatoon? If the numbers are even remotely similar, Saskatoon will certainly eclipse here in the future.

one_brick_at_a_time Oct 30, 2020 2:45 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/t-k...tman-1.5779901

Hopefully a Regina location.

Draftsman Oct 30, 2020 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9090121)

It's doubtful at this point as they are going into former David's Tea locations, and looking at the map, only Saskatoon will be getting one. Probably because there is already a new business in David's old spot at Cornwall Centre.

Perhaps if T.Kettle does well they might expand into Regina.

one_brick_at_a_time Oct 31, 2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9090138)
It's doubtful at this point as they are going into former David's Tea locations, and looking at the map, only Saskatoon will be getting one. Probably because there is already a new business in David's old spot at Cornwall Centre.

Perhaps if T.Kettle does well they might expand into Regina.

Would be perfect with a spot at Southland Mall next to the Library. Why would it be doubtful? :)

Draftsman Oct 31, 2020 1:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9090682)
Would be perfect with a spot at Southland Mall next to the Library. Why would it be doubtful? :)

I said it was doubtful at this point.

The former David's Tea location is gone (new tenant). T.Kettle is going into the same spaces vacated by David's. As you can see from T.Kettle's map, there won't be one in Regina at this point.

As I stated in my previous post "Perhaps if T.Kettle does well they might expand into Regina". They are going to be opening 45 locations soon ...in very unpredictable times. Do you think they are going to open a bunch of new locations at this point? It is easy to take over an existing retail space that had already been set up as a tea shop. Very little expense. This guy did the same thing when he took over HMV and turned them into Sunrise Records.

Sorry to piss on your umbrella fella!

one_brick_at_a_time Oct 31, 2020 4:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9090723)
I said it was doubtful at this point.

The former David's Tea location is gone (new tenant). T.Kettle is going into the same spaces vacated by David's. As you can see from T.Kettle's map, there won't be one in Regina at this point.

As I stated in my previous post "Perhaps if T.Kettle does well they might expand into Regina". They are going to be opening 45 locations soon ...in very unpredictable times. Do you think they are going to open a bunch of new locations at this point? It is easy to take over an existing retail space that had already been set up as a tea shop. Very little expense. This guy did the same thing when he took over HMV and turned them into Sunrise Records.

Sorry to piss on your umbrella fella!

Lol

one_brick_at_a_time Oct 31, 2020 2:44 PM

Looks nice and bright in the former David’s Tea spot.

https://i.ibb.co/VxwxBm7/1-C8-BE540-...867-F0-B50.jpg

StealthGirl Nov 2, 2020 1:57 AM

Not exactly retail, but COVID-19 has killed Dino Bouncers.'

https://www.dinobouncers.ca/dino-home/

Globe Fabrics is also closing on that same street.

one_brick_at_a_time Nov 2, 2020 11:39 PM

New Cornwall Centre Retail

https://i.ibb.co/Zm5VVmq/13-B5264-C-...-D2-F942-F.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/HBK5M1W/286-D1595-9...162-D4-EC9.jpg

StealthGirl Nov 3, 2020 3:24 PM

Is that yoyoso's second location in Regina or third? They have one in Southland, I think.

one_brick_at_a_time Nov 3, 2020 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9093804)
Is that yoyoso's second location in Regina or third? They have one in Southland, I think.

It’s Regina’s second location.

someguy Nov 5, 2020 7:30 AM

Regina Beach Esso also has a huge selection of YOYOSO items. Weird setup.

Stormer Nov 6, 2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someguy (Post 9096697)
Regina Beach Esso also has a huge selection of YOYOSO items. Weird setup.

...and great bait!

saskdave Nov 17, 2020 3:36 AM

Cornwall Centre

Wandered through Cornwall Centre for the first time in awhile and I will give them credit for filling up the empty stores - even if it is with seasonal stores. Only two vacant spots left. It was actually fairly busy on Sunday.

Draftsman Dec 12, 2020 8:36 PM

I was in Hudson's Bay today, the 2nd last Saturday before Christmas, and it was a little busier than 'normal'. I went to the lower level and was rather 'shocked' to see how little they have in their Christmas department (ie decorations, trees, etc). They are already trying to clear the junk they have at up to 75% off. Then, walking around the main floor I noticed how empty many of the display cases are in the perfume and jewellery areas. One of the 'islands' had nothing but advertisements for Dyson hair dryers (where perfumes and cosmetics used to be). The jewellery cases have a sparse selection. It sure looks like a store that is preparing to close. Either that or they just can't afford to replenish merchandise?

Just saying, but it does not look good. Pretty sad.