SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Longmont, CO: Downtown (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244983)

xzmattzx Nov 27, 2020 7:18 PM

Longmont, CO: Downtown
 
Longmont is a city and home rule municipality in Boulder County, about 30 miles north of Denver, and is part of the urban Front Range Corridor. The population is around 100,000.

Longmont was developed by the Chicago-Colorado Company in 1871, which envisioned an agricultural utopia where colonists would farm the land and share the benefits of their work. The community was a center for sugar beets and peas. By the 1960s, agriculture was replaced by the technology industry, beginning with IBM arriving in 1965. Longmont also functions as a gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park.

In the 1980s, Longmont began investing in Downtown. Today, Downtown is a healthy neighborhood with many restaurants, coffee shops, brewpubs, and boutique stores.


A brewery at Main Street & 6th Avenue. The brewery is housed in the William Lugg Building, built in 1918, and was a car dealership for decades.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/RZ2z7g.jpg

The old Post Office, at Main Street & 3rd Avenue. The structure was built in 1905.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/rQS850.jpg

The Longmont Civic Center, on Kimbark Street. The strucutre was built in 1975.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/xCJJzv.jpg

The Longmont Development Services Center, on Kimbark Street. The structure was built in 1927 as a service shop.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/2ZjM60.jpg

A building on 4th Avenue.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/LEHbmb.jpg

The Central Presbyterian Church, on Kimbark Street. The church was built in 1905.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/XbMR6J.jpg

Longmont Safety & Justice Center, at the foot of Kimbark Street. The structure was built in 1993.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/PURnvW.jpg

A building at 3rd Avenue & Main Street.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/AIYWqP.jpg

Buildings on Main Street. On the left is the Neeley Block, built in 1918.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/HregnY.jpg

A building on Main Street, built in 1907.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/iOvSaC.jpg

The old Trojan Theater, on Main Street. The theater was built in 1939, and is now a performing arts center.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/vmn1qa.jpg

Buildings on Main Street.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/6Z41Hh.jpg

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, on Main Street. The church was built in 1881, and closed in 1972.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/hgDTzW.jpg

A building at 5th Avenue & Main Street.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/4GXhCC.jpg

The Hansen Building, on Main Street at 6th Avenue. The structure was built in 1904, and was originally the Longmont Telephone Exchange building.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/Qgf0Wr.jpg

A building on Main Street, built in 1916.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/q2s4QM.jpg

The Dickens Opera House, on Main Street. The structure was built in 1881.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/QUxSsL.jpg

The Burlington Depot, on Main Street at 2nd Avenue. The train station was built in 1900, and is now a liquor store.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/ZCunnH.jpg

The old Imperial Hotel, at Main Street & 3rd Avenue. The structure was built in 1880.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/CzwL6B.jpg

The Percy Hamm House, on 3rd Avenue. The house was built in 1906.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/xZjJ9o.jpg

The Dr. John Andrew House, on 3rd Avenue. The house was built in 1907.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/b0ME7J.jpg

First Evangelical Lutheran Church, on 3rd Avenue. The church was built in 1938.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/SmTyMn.jpg

The Thomas Callahan House, on Terry Street. The house was built in 1892.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/NhbcvW.jpg

A house on 3rd Avenue.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/q5yLcl.jpg

kcexpress69 Nov 28, 2020 3:13 AM

Very nice. I visited there about 20 years ago on my way to the mountains. :)

xzmattzx Dec 8, 2020 4:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcexpress69 (Post 9119043)
Very nice. I visited there about 20 years ago on my way to the mountains. :)

Same here. This was my home base while I explored Rocky Mountain N.P. and Estes Park.

IWant2BeInSTL Dec 8, 2020 5:56 PM

while living in Boulder for a couple of years I got the impression that Longmont had become the more affordable alternative to Boulder. lots of Boulder <---> Longmont commuters. not sure if that's the case anymore.

mr1138 Dec 9, 2020 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL (Post 9128081)
while living in Boulder for a couple of years I got the impression that Longmont had become the more affordable alternative to Boulder. lots of Boulder <---> Longmont commuters. not sure if that's the case anymore.

This is exactly right. It's a (slightly) more affordable place to live for those who work or go to school in Boulder. I lived in Longmont for about 5 years while going to CU. The highway to Boulder becomes a virtual parking lot each morning and evening rush-hour as around 30,000 people commute to and from Boulder, turning what is normally a 10-20 minute drive into a 30-60 min commute.

The only thing I'd add is that it isn't much of an "alternative" to Boulder so much as it is a very nice mid-sized American city with access to Boulder's job market. The vibe in Longmont is VERY different - it feels more like a nice town you might find in the midwest, but lacks Boulder's one-of-a-kind mix of access to hiking and youthful college-culture. This is the natural outgrowth of Boulder's strong job market and housing supply shortage - some people may choose Longmont for its more laid-back, conservative vibe, but for others it is a purely economic necessity.

IWant2BeInSTL Dec 12, 2020 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr1138 (Post 9129201)
The only thing I'd add is that it isn't much of an "alternative" to Boulder so much as it is a very nice mid-sized American city with access to Boulder's job market.

yeah, not saying Boulder is better. just meant a more affordable alternative real-estate-wise. at this point, though, i doubt real estate is much cheaper in Longmont.

xzmattzx Dec 12, 2020 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr1138 (Post 9129201)
This is exactly right. It's a (slightly) more affordable place to live for those who work or go to school in Boulder. I lived in Longmont for about 5 years while going to CU. The highway to Boulder becomes a virtual parking lot each morning and evening rush-hour as around 30,000 people commute to and from Boulder, turning what is normally a 10-20 minute drive into a 30-60 min commute.

The only thing I'd add is that it isn't much of an "alternative" to Boulder so much as it is a very nice mid-sized American city with access to Boulder's job market. The vibe in Longmont is VERY different - it feels more like a nice town you might find in the midwest, but lacks Boulder's one-of-a-kind mix of access to hiking and youthful college-culture. This is the natural outgrowth of Boulder's strong job market and housing supply shortage - some people may choose Longmont for its more laid-back, conservative vibe, but for others it is a purely economic necessity.

Are there any plans to widen the road between Longmont and Boulder?

I kind of got the feel that Longmont a little Midwestern feel. If you couldn't see those mountains just west of town, you could probably convince someone that the town was in Nebraska or Kansas.

mr1138 Dec 13, 2020 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL (Post 9131622)
yeah, not saying Boulder is better. just meant a more affordable alternative real-estate-wise. at this point, though, i doubt real estate is much cheaper in Longmont.

Well - as somebody who grew up in Boulder, I WOULD say that Boulder is better. :haha: Boulder is just extremely one-of-a-kind - though admittedly may not be everyone's taste given its extremely liberal culture, NIMBYist tendencies, and rapidly increasing cost of living. Longmont feels more down-to-earth, and like xzmattzx says, feels like it could be in Nebraska were it not for the mountain view in the distance.

Zillow says that Longmont's typical home value is currently around $428,000 and Boulder's is around $781,000 - so while not cheap, it is still a big difference. Many renters would find Boulder to be completely cost prohibitive without sharing with many roommates or moving into a co-op or something. Of course Longmont isn't the only bedroom community nearby - the northwest Denver suburbs also serve that purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xzmattzx (Post 9131787)
Are there any plans to widen the road between Longmont and Boulder?

I kind of got the feel that Longmont a little Midwestern feel. If you couldn't see those mountains just west of town, you could probably convince someone that the town was in Nebraska or Kansas.

I just checked on the status of the Highway 119 BRT study. It looks like they are currently talking about adding "managed lanes." Presumably these would look like every other highway in Colorado with regional bus routes allowed along with HOV3+ and vehicles willing to pay a demand-based toll. The City of Boulder has some pretty firm modal-shift goals in the Transportation Master Plan that preclude it from endorsing any new general-purpose automobile lanes being added anywhere in town.

geomorph Jan 16, 2021 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xzmattzx (Post 9118620)

The old Trojan Theater, on Main Street. The theater was built in 1939, and is now a performing arts center.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/vmn1qa.jpg

Every city needs one of these streamline moderne theaters! This one looks well-kept.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.