SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Income maps for 8 CMAs (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220041)

Docere Dec 7, 2015 10:52 PM

Income maps for 8 CMAs

For Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver. This is based on 2012 taxfiler data, not the 2011 NHS.

http://neighbourhoodchange.ca/docume...-cmas-2012.pdf

Ashok Dec 7, 2015 11:34 PM

Poor Montreal! :(

Docere Dec 8, 2015 12:11 AM

Unless you're in upper Westmount, the second wealthiest census tract in the country.

Drybrain Dec 8, 2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashok (Post 7261317)

Poor Hamilton! The only city with no wealthy inner-city districts. Interesting outlier.

The Toronto map is also a great representation of where transit is good and where it sucks.

begratto Dec 8, 2015 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashok (Post 7261317)

Why do you say this? I see lots of blue areas in the city, and some of the red areas are industrial parks and the east-end refineries.

esquire Dec 8, 2015 1:10 AM

Good find. Winnipeg looks about as I'd expect it to. Downtown and north central areas are the lowest income areas, the wealthy areas are mostly scattered around the periphery with a few central beachheads.

Interesting how the West Exchange is ranked as a low income area while the East Exchange is near the top.

Docere Dec 8, 2015 1:18 AM

So do these CMAs have follow the "donut" or "favored quarter" (wedges) model?

SkahHigh Dec 8, 2015 1:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begratto (Post 7261385)
Why do you say this? I see lots of blue areas in the city, and some of the red areas are industrial parks and the east-end refineries.

Yeah... Montreal doesn't look much worse than Toronto.

Daveography Dec 8, 2015 2:28 AM

I'm not usually concerned when Edmonton is left out of lists, but its lack of inclusion in this particular set of data maps is actually baffling.

Biggest surprise is that Calgary's lowest income areas are so concentrated in the NE.

O-tacular Dec 8, 2015 3:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveography (Post 7261495)
I'm not usually concerned when Edmonton is left out of lists, but its lack of inclusion in this particular set of data maps is actually baffling.

Biggest surprise is that Calgary's lowest income areas are so concentrated in the NE.

It's not a surprise to anyone from Calgary. Next time you visit take a drive in the NE. You'll understand immediately. The more ramshackle parts of Temple, Applewood etc. are the closest thing to a ghetto besides Forest Lawn in this city.

geotag277 Dec 8, 2015 3:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-tacular (Post 7261556)
It's not a surprise to anyone from Calgary. Next time you visit take a drive in the NE. You'll understand immediately. The more ramshackle parts of Temple, Applewood etc. are the closest thing to a ghetto besides Forest Lawn in this city.

Something something east of Deerfoot north of Glenmore ;)

Beedok Dec 8, 2015 4:22 AM

I didn't realise just how big the Winnipeg CMA was.

Also I did not know south Westdale was poor. The rest of the west end is so well off I thought it was too (maybe it's all the Mac students?).

Coldrsx Dec 8, 2015 4:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveography (Post 7261495)

Yeah, what gives?:shrug:

Harrij Dec 8, 2015 6:26 AM

Quote:

I have this impression of sketchy places in Calgary being somewhere where a person wouldn't smile back at you if you made eye contact.

RueBulmer Dec 8, 2015 6:57 AM

Quote:

I don't know Calgary at all, aside from bits of downtown and the airport area. My cousin lives there. I should give you her address and have you evaluate it. She used to live in Sarnia.

Pinion Dec 8, 2015 8:06 AM

Poor Richmond, I hope those guys get out of poverty soon.

Acajack Dec 8, 2015 2:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion (Post 7261811)
Poor Richmond, I hope those guys get out of poverty soon.

Low annual income but high personal net worth maybe? ;)

O-tacular Dec 8, 2015 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geotag277 (Post 7261558)
Something something east of Deerfoot north of Glenmore ;)

Yeah I figured someone would point out Ogden in the SE. Basically everything on the east side north of that.

O-tacular Dec 8, 2015 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrij (Post 7261754)
I have this impression of sketchy places in Calgary being somewhere where a person wouldn't smile back at you if you made eye contact.

:haha::haha::haha:

We may not be Edmonton level but there are sketchier parts of the city. Nothing like the States though.

Daveography Dec 8, 2015 3:42 PM

Quote:

I've been through the NE side a few times, but mostly the commercial / industrial parts and never found them to be "representative" of lower-income areas, but I've never been in the residential areas there, maybe that's where it's more noticeable.