SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

riichkay Jan 3, 2020 8:40 PM

https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums...pszhhotduj.jpg

photo caption:

Judging by delivery truck the image is from the late 20s or early 30s. Location is Annandale, a neighborhood in Pasadena, CA. Advertising signs include Coke and Mail Pouch. There are two mounted candy/gum vending machines to the left of the gentleman in the doorway. The one on the left is a c. 1925 Universal Sales Machines Co. Model C gumball machine and the one on the right is a c. 1927 Wrigley's gumball machine made by Hoff Vending Corp.  

Jungmann Jan 4, 2020 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riichkay (Post 8789849)
https://i1381.photobucket.com/albums...pszhhotduj.jpg

photo caption:

Judging by delivery truck the image is from the late 20s or early 30s. Location is Annandale, a neighborhood in Pasadena, CA. Advertising signs include Coke and Mail Pouch. There are two mounted candy/gum vending machines to the left of the gentleman in the doorway. The one on the left is a c. 1925 Universal Sales Machines Co. Model C gumball machine and the one on the right is a c. 1927 Wrigley's gumball machine made by Hoff Vending Corp.  

Wow.:worship:

Scott Charles Jan 4, 2020 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8789829)
I thought we might have seen this real estate office on NLA....(I tripled checked. We haven't)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...923/xo27Ic.jpg
eBay

My kingdom :pimpdaddy: for anyone who can figure out where this little hut of a real estate office was located.


The reverse isn't much help.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...923/5Fntxu.jpg
for search purposes: January 10, 1911

https://i.imgur.com/BWzLa5h.jpg

A few mentions I found in the city directory:

https://i.imgur.com/h1Wh7Dn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hlPLAkn.jpg

It seems that Mr. Leatart also worked in asbestos:

https://i.imgur.com/6ea3ldQ.jpg

Perhaps his home address?

https://i.imgur.com/kNHzsR1.jpg

I don't think any of the above helps locate the tiny building in the photograph, but maybe it will help one of us track it down...

ethereal_reality Jan 4, 2020 5:17 AM

:previous:

Thanks for your help, Scott Charles. I'll check out those addresses. :)




The seller on eBay says this slide was taken in downtown Los Angeles....(but I'm not so sure)

Seller's description:..."Vtg 1959 LOS ANGELES CA downtown street photo slide 1950s Harris & Frank sign."


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/1WrYKz.jpg
eBay


...I think the slide was taken in Hollywood, near Vine.



The postcard shown below was postmarked in 1957. (of course the postcard could be older)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/ePSd0T.jpg
i.pinimg


As you can see, the facade of the Harris & Frank Store was modernized sometime after the postcard and before the 1959 slide. (if I'm correct about the location)

Oh, I just noticed something else. The old sign above Arthur Murray's Studio was modernized as well. The large metal diagonal support and brackets were somehow covered up. (painted plywood?) :shrug:



.

ethereal_reality Jan 4, 2020 7:15 PM

Okay, let's shift gears.




There appears to be some Hi-Jinx going on in the top photo.(shown below)


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/uG2RAG.jpg








The second photo places the photographs in Los Angeles.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/yLIIEm.jpg


As you can see. . .
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...921/1NrVnc.jpg
For search purposes:...Special Delivery Service... Barker Bros....Los Angeles, Cal....Household

I can't read what is written below Barker Bros....








Here's how the two photographs are displayed on eBay.


"Two 1917 photos of a Harley Motorcycle and Truck, BARKER BROS. Los Angeles, CAL.".

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/2zSFNF.jpg
eBay

As you can see, 1917 is written on the top photograph and "Edie" is written on the bottom photograph.

The two photographs are being sold together Here

HossC Jan 4, 2020 10:11 PM

:previous:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8790484)

As you can see. . .
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...921/1NrVnc.jpg
For search purposes:...Special Delivery Service... Barker Bros....Los Angeles, Cal....Household

I can't read what is written below Barker Bros....

I'm pretty sure it's just their address. The numbers are difficult to read, but at the time it would have been "724-738 SOUTH BROADWAY".

Scott Charles Jan 4, 2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8790254)
:previous:
The seller on eBay says this slide was taken in downtown Los Angeles....(but I'm not so sure)

Seller's description:..."Vtg 1959 LOS ANGELES CA downtown street photo slide 1950s Harris & Frank sign."


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/1WrYKz.jpg
eBay


...I think the slide was taken in Hollywood, near Vine.

You nailed it, e_r, Hollywood and Vine:

https://i.imgur.com/JAl8qXMl.jpg

I love the Corinthian flair atop that pilaster!

HossC Jan 4, 2020 11:09 PM

Here's an odd story with an LA connection which is just hitting the headlines.

The skeleton of Giichi Matsumura, aka. 'Ghost of Manzanar', has just been re-discovered by hikers near Mount Williamson. Matsumura was in a Japanese American internment camp in August 1945 when he and several fellow internees went for a hike. While the rest of the party continued on to do some fishing, Matsumura stopped to paint a watercolor. He died in freak summer snowstorm from which the others were able to find shelter. His body was found a month later and buried by the hikers who found him, but the details of his death were lost over time.

When the Manzanar camp eventually closed in November 1945, the rest the Matsumura family returned to Santa Monica where they had lived until they were forced out of their home three years earlier.

You can read more at:

www.japantimes.co.jp
nypost.com
www.bbc.com

pip Jan 5, 2020 3:37 AM

This is a fantastic thread! From time to time I get stuck here, I love looking through it.

CityBoyDoug Jan 5, 2020 4:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip (Post 8790749)
This is a fantastic thread! From time to time I get stuck here, I love looking through it.

Hey pip:...4 years to go until what???

VintageEliot Jan 5, 2020 5:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip (Post 8790749)
This is a fantastic thread! From time to time I get stuck here, I love looking through it.

I'm with pip. This thread has given me hours of entertainment since discovering it a few months ago. I look forward to many months of reading through all its pages.

CityBoyDoug Jan 5, 2020 6:25 AM

https://66.media.tumblr.com/bdb3a021...yp0o1_400.gifv
tumblr

Yeah, LA is deadly.

er will know who this lady is. He used to work in show-business.

Mstimc Jan 5, 2020 11:32 AM

I think the Japanese Hospital building may have been mentioned before, but here's an interesting article in the LAT:

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ark-dedication

Bristolian Jan 5, 2020 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8790629)
Here's an odd story with an LA connection which is just hitting the headlines.

The skeleton of Giichi Matsumura, aka. 'Ghost of Manzanar', has just been re-discovered by hikers near Mount Williamson. Matsumura was in a Japanese American internment camp in August 1945 when he and several fellow internees went for a hike. While the rest of the party continued on to do some fishing, Matsumura stopped to paint a watercolor. He died in freak summer snowstorm from which the others were able to find shelter. His body was found a month later and buried by the hikers who found him, but the details of his death were lost over time.

When the Manzanar camp eventually closed in November 1945, the rest the Matsumura family returned to Santa Monica where they had lived until they were forced out of their home three years earlier.

You can read more at:

www.japantimes.co.jp
nypost.com
www.bbc.com

This interesting story suddenly seems to be everywhere. It's also a feature story on the front page of today's Los Angeles Times.

ethereal_reality Jan 5, 2020 6:26 PM

I just saw this photograph on eBay and I believe the location could possibly be L.A.

As you can see, the seller's description doesn't mention a location:...

Vintage Photo 4x6 Abandoned Run Down LIME MOTEL Neon Sign Vernacular

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/UAL7sx.jpg
eBay

And unless I'm mistaken, it's the TIME Motel. . .not the LIME Motel.




Here's a close-up.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/zKS6cp.jpg


Does anyone know if there was ever a Time Motel in the Los Angeles area? :shrug:



.

Scott Charles Jan 5, 2020 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8791010)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/UAL7sx.jpg
eBay

And unless I'm mistaken, it's the TIME Motel. . .not the LIME Motel.

Does anyone know if there was ever a Time Motel in the Los Angeles area? :shrug:

The City Directory shows a Time Motel at 1615 N Western Ave...

https://i.imgur.com/6YN5JuG.jpg

... but in the mystery photo, the road is curved. Western Ave is straight, so we know it wasn't on Western.

If you zoom in on the mystery photo, you can see a sign for Greco's Deli:

https://i.imgur.com/cHvslGX.jpg

The City Directory has no listing for a Greco's Deli, but they do have a listing for Greco's Market at 4534 Eagle Rock Blvd:

https://i.imgur.com/Jkdutxw.jpg

Google Maps

I can't tell if it's the same location as the mystery photo - if so, all of the old buildings have been torn down and replaced.

But if you look up the street, the road does curve in a very similar manner to the road in the mystery photo:

https://i.imgur.com/gpVzZRT.jpg

I'm far from certain that's the actual location, though. The mystery photo doesn't really look like Eagle Rock Blvd to me... for one thing, they're aren't any mountains in the background, though that could be due to the lens and angle of the mystery photo...

pip Jan 5, 2020 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 8790776)
Hey pip:...4 years to go until what???

Oh haha, that's from years ago, I should take it down.

odinthor Jan 5, 2020 8:27 PM

Here is the Time Motel on Western:

https://i.postimg.cc/L5918TLK/Time-Motel.jpg
LA Times via ProQuest via CSULB Library.

Martin Pal Jan 5, 2020 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8791065)
The City Directory shows a Time Motel at 1615 N Western Ave...

https://i.imgur.com/6YN5JuG.jpg

... but in the mystery photo, the road is curved. Western Ave is straight, so we know it wasn't on Western.

If you zoom in on the mystery photo, you can see a sign for Greco's Deli:

https://i.imgur.com/cHvslGX.jpg

The City Directory has no listing for a Greco's Deli, but they do have a listing for Greco's Market at 4534 Eagle Rock Blvd:

https://i.imgur.com/Jkdutxw.jpg

Google Maps

I can't tell if it's the same location as the mystery photo - if so, all of the old buildings have been torn down and replaced.

But if you look up the street, the road does curve in a very similar manner to the road in the mystery photo:

https://i.imgur.com/gpVzZRT.jpg

I'm far from certain that's the actual location, though. The mystery photo doesn't really look like Eagle Rock Blvd to me... for one thing, they're aren't any mountains in the background, though that could be due to the lens and angle of the mystery photo...
___________________________________________________________________


Besides the curve, the telephone poles are spaced in the same manner. The listing doesn't say the date, but in the 70's on very smoggy days you often couldn't see the mountains in the near distance.

ethereal_reality Jan 5, 2020 11:16 PM

The chainlink fence around the old motel tells me it's about to be torn down.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/AjI3V8.jpg


There's another possible clue in the distance. A red sign with white letters.

This one.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/nv8PmE.jpg
detail

I keep wanting to say it's a Hot Dog sign. . .but it's not.


.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.