SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

ethereal_reality Nov 3, 2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8367539)
Also, E_R, in the first part of a post you made, do you know why the picture is NOT what you are describing? Just noticing a lot of weird things today.

:previous: I have no idea Martin_Pal.

Imageshack shows the photograph of the stamps in my account but I am almost certain it isn't mine.

of course the photo of the stamps has nothing to do with homes for unwed mothers. It's truly bizarre.

ethereal_reality Nov 3, 2018 10:26 PM

re: Louise Brooks' home.

Impressive in tandem sleuthing Lomara and Scott Charles. I missed all the excitement.
Thanks so much for figuring out which house was Louise's.

I haven't checked the links you provided Lormara. Right now I'm maneuvering through several rabbit holes.

ethereal_reality Nov 3, 2018 11:42 PM

'mystery' window.

The seller describes the photograph as a "private, personal pin-up". (no doubt- because the lady is topless)



I thought it would be fairly easy to figure out where this woman was when she leaned out the window. Probably a hotel, right?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/QLhuvy.jpg
etsy

..or maybe not.

Let's take a look at the theater out the window:
Is it the Fox Wilshire?...or is it the Fox Westwood Village? Neither one perfectly match.


&- Initially, I thought the view out the window might be a backdrop. It looks like it's torn on the left (above and below the woman's head)
but on closer inspection...I see that it's the edge of the exterior wall in shadow. oops *cleans eyeglasses*

So where the heck is this woman?

__

Handsome Stranger Nov 4, 2018 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8367565)
Since Daylight Savings Time is to be adjusted again this weekend...

https://i.postimg.cc/zB3ByVzx/tearoom.jpg

I'm inclined to vote for Prop 7 as well.

BTW, I hate to be so nitpicky as this is an extremely common error, but it's properly called Daylight Saving Time. Singular. Think "It's time to save daylight."

Tikiman Nov 4, 2018 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8367639)
'mystery' window.

The seller describes the photograph as a "private, personal pin-up". (no doubt- because the lady is topless)



I thought it would be fairly easy to figure out where this woman was when she leaned out the window. Probably a hotel, right?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/QLhuvy.jpg
etsy

..or maybe not.

Let's take a look at the theater out the window:
Is it the Fox Wilshire?...or is it the Fox Westwood Village? Neither one perfectly match.


&- Initially, I thought the view out the window might be a backdrop. It looks like it's torn on the left (above and below the woman's head)
but on closer inspection...I see that it's the edge of the exterior wall in shadow. oops *cleans eyeglasses*

So where the heck is this woman?

__

The Mayfair Hotel in Pomona.https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1915/...ebc70fbc_m.jpg

MartinTurnbull Nov 4, 2018 4:52 AM

The Fox Ritz Theater on Wilshire Blvd at night, circa 1940s.
 
The Fox Ritz Theater on Wilshire Blvd at night, circa 1940s. Pulled down in 1977 and replaced by the mother of all LA clichés: a parking lot.

But the E. Clem Wilson and the Dominguez-Wilshire buildings are still with us, so two out of three ain’t bad.


https://martinturnbull.com/wp-conten...1940s-copy.jpg

ethereal_reality Nov 4, 2018 5:34 AM

Thanks for figuring out the mystery window Tikiman. I was way off.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikiman (Post 8367697)

Hmmm...it's quite close to being the same room.

I won't ask where you got the modern photograph. but I'm so curious I could S C R E A M :gaah:

__

CityBoyDoug Nov 4, 2018 7:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 8367681)
https://i.postimg.cc/zB3ByVzx/tearoom.jpg

I'm inclined to vote for Prop 7 as well.

BTW, I hate to be so nitpicky as this is an extremely common error, but it's properly called Daylight Saving Time. Singular. Think "It's time to save daylight."

...http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2...0/postcard.jpg not here anymore

I went to this place with some friends. The big deal was that it featured old-fashioned comfort food. The dessert was some very sticky concoction of bread and custard. One time was enough.

https://food.fnr.sndimg.com/content/...263237145.jpegfood network

Lwize Nov 4, 2018 2:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 8367681)
BTW, I hate to be so nitpicky as this is an extremely common error, but it's properly called Daylight Saving Time. Singular. Think "It's time to save daylight.

I proudly use the plural: Savings, like a savings account at the bank. I stash an hour a day, and spend it all on Christmas Time. :)

ethereal_reality Nov 5, 2018 12:52 AM

I found a whole bunch of getty images without the getty marking over the photographs. (it's like I entered through a backdoor or something)
I was thrilled until I realized there wasn't any information on the photos either. (except for the year) I kid you not.


In this case...the year is 1955.

I can't figure out why these women are digging a large square hole. (actually it's rectangular...but you know what I mean...right Handsome Stranger?)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/50rdth.jpg
gettyimages

Other than digging a mass grave for their husbands...I have no idea what their plans are. (mass graves are nothing to joke about) ...but still.


Here's a second pic taken from across the street.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/tjhyv8.jpg
gettyimages

There is some writing...but I haven't been able to make out what it says.


EDIT : I just realized there aren't any shovels in the pics, so perhaps they're not doing the actual digging (just measuring)
_

ethereal_reality Nov 5, 2018 1:40 AM

'mystery' victim

The year is 1955.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/nteYef.jpg
gettyimages

Poor guy.





It looks like there might be another casualty in the backseat.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...921/BQ7KP8.jpg
DETAIL

Dirtiest car ever.






I just have to ask. What is growing, so poorly, in this patch along the street? (we might need odinthor for this one)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/xjsT1M.jpg
DETAIL

Any ideas?

__

BillinGlendaleCA Nov 5, 2018 1:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8368413)
I found a whole bunch of getty images without the getty marking over the photographs. (it's like I entered through a backdoor or something)
I was thrilled until I realized there wasn't any information on the photos either. (except for the year) I kid you not.


In this case...the year is 1955.

I can't figure out why these women are digging a large square hole. (actually it's rectangular...but you know what I mean...right Handsome Stranger?)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/50rdth.jpg
gettyimages

Other than digging a mass grave for their husbands...I have no idea what their plans are. (mass graves are nothing to joke about) ...but still.


Here's a second pic taken from across the street.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/tjhyv8.jpg
gettyimages

There is some writing...but I haven't been able to make out what it says.


EDIT : I just realized there aren't any shovels in the pics, so perhaps they're not doing the actual digging (just measuring)
_

It looks like the writing in the second shot is just who's in the photo. Here's a negative and flipped version:

https://i.postimg.cc/Kz96gtk7/tjhyv8...s-negative.jpggettyimages

I think the theory of mass graves for their husbands is a solid one.

ethereal_reality Nov 5, 2018 1:56 AM

:previous: Thanks Bill. Now to check the lapl directories to see if any of them are listed.
If we find an address/and in turn, the house. we can look to see if anything is still visible in yard.

ethereal_reality Nov 5, 2018 2:22 AM

One more 'mystery' for tonight before I hit the hay.

I had to chuckle when I first saw this photograph. To me, it looks like the woman is picking her husband up at the airport
but they're obviously up in the hills somewhere.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/16oP9v.jpg
etsy

Any idea where this was taken? Could it be a composite? ...either way, I'm confused. :eeekk:


Here's the complete ad. I couldn't get it to enlarge very well so it's on the blurry side.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/cq90Fh.jpg
etsy

The seller mentions Brentwood. I'm sure why, unless it's the location of the Cadillac Dealership. (but I don't see the dealership mentioned anywhere on the ad)

You can check in out for yourself here > ETSY

_

BillinGlendaleCA Nov 5, 2018 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8368471)
:previous: Thanks Bill. Now to check the lapl directories to see if any of them are listed.
If we find an address/and in turn, the house. we can look to see if anything is still visible in yard.



p.s. I wonder if any of the women reported a missing husband (or two) :whistle:

Here's the Getty's caption for the image: "Air Raid Tower squabble, 1955
Air Raid Tower squabble, 12 October 1955. Mrs Hazel Fry;Don Fry, 34;Mrs Shirley Silver;Mrs Mary Jean Bullard;Mrs Kay Nielson;Conrad Bullard, 5;Mrs Mabel Wall;Mrs Beverly Romesburg.;Caption slip reads: 'Photographer: Gray. Date: 1955-10-12. Reporter: T.T Assignment: Air Raid Tower Squabble. 3/4' L to R, Mrs Hazel Fry, Mrs Shirley Silver, Mrs Mary Jean Bullard, & Mrs Kay Nielson - look at 5' x 5' x 5' - hole in Fry front yard. 5: L to R: (Loma shot) Mrs Hazel Fry, Conrad Bullard, 5, Mrs Mabel Wall, Mrs Mary Jean Bullard & Mrs Beverly Romesburg - Look at hole. 6: Pix of Air Raid Siren Tower on grounds of former Birmingham General Hospital. Tower such as this is planned for lawn of Fry home by City Civil Defense. 15/16: Don Fry, 34, Administrative Assistant to Geo. Messengen, Flying Tiger Line Vice President, Maintenance'.. (Photo by Los Angeles Examiner/USC Libraries/Corbis via Getty Images)"

The Birmingham General Hospital was operated by the US Army during World War II and was closed in 1950. I was converted into classrooms and it now known as Birmingham Community Charter High School.

BillinGlendaleCA Nov 5, 2018 3:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8368486)
One more 'mystery' for tonight before I hit the hay.

I had to chuckle when I first saw this photograph. To me, it looks like the woman is picking her husband up at the airport
but they're obviously up in the hills somewhere.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/16oP9v.jpg
etsy

Any idea where this was taken? Could it be a composite? ...either way, I'm confused. :eeekk:


Here's the complete ad. I couldn't get it to enlarge very well so it's on the blurry side.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/cq90Fh.jpg
etsy

The seller mentions Brentwood. I'm sure why, unless it's the location of the Cadillac Dealership. (but I don't see the dealership mentioned anywhere on the ad)

You can check in out for yourself here > ETSY
_


say goodnight Gracie

This is not the location of this pic, but the heliport in Griffith Park is often used for Buick commercials. It has a nice view of Downtown LA as a backdrop.

Bristolian Nov 5, 2018 5:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA (Post 8368505)
Here's the Getty's caption for the image: "Air Raid Tower squabble, 1955
Air Raid Tower squabble, 12 October 1955. Mrs Hazel Fry;Don Fry, 34;Mrs Shirley Silver;Mrs Mary Jean Bullard;Mrs Kay Nielson;Conrad Bullard, 5;Mrs Mabel Wall;Mrs Beverly Romesburg.;Caption slip reads: 'Photographer: Gray. Date: 1955-10-12. Reporter: T.T Assignment: Air Raid Tower Squabble. 3/4' L to R, Mrs Hazel Fry, Mrs Shirley Silver, Mrs Mary Jean Bullard, & Mrs Kay Nielson - look at 5' x 5' x 5' - hole in Fry front yard. 5: L to R: (Loma shot) Mrs Hazel Fry, Conrad Bullard, 5, Mrs Mabel Wall, Mrs Mary Jean Bullard & Mrs Beverly Romesburg - Look at hole. 6: Pix of Air Raid Siren Tower on grounds of former Birmingham General Hospital. Tower such as this is planned for lawn of Fry home by City Civil Defense. 15/16: Don Fry, 34, Administrative Assistant to Geo. Messengen, Flying Tiger Line Vice President, Maintenance'.. (Photo by Los Angeles Examiner/USC Libraries/Corbis via Getty Images)"

The Birmingham General Hospital was operated by the US Army during World War II and was closed in 1950. I was converted into classrooms and it now known as Birmingham Community Charter High School.

So I take this to mean the hole will become the foundation for an air raid siren tower, no?

Bristolian Nov 5, 2018 6:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8367001)
Thanks for your help Noir Noir.

R. M. Widney [attorney] is listed, with scant details, in the 1875 Southern California Directory.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/sFxKH0.jpg
lapl



By 1887-88 he has become a judge, the president of the University Bank of Los Angeles, and a real estate dealer living at 310 S. Olive Street.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/H12Sfz.jpg
lapl




There are quite a few more Widneys listed in the 1894 L.A. Directory.

R. M. is still the president of the bank, but has moved to 416 S. Olive St.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...921/Hm1rSF.jpg

I didn't find any indication that he owned a street car 'railroad'. I'll keep looking.


__

Among other things, both J.P. and R. M. Widney were instrumental in the establishment of USC.

From R.M.'s Wiki page:
"Los Angeles was still a growing frontier town in the early 1870s, when a group of public-spirited citizens led by Judge Robert Maclay Widney first saw the need and imagined establishing a university in the city. It took nearly a decade for this vision to become a reality, but in 1879 Widney formed a board of trustees and on July 29, 1879, secured a donation of 308 lots of undeveloped land in South Los Angeles from three prominent members of the community — Ozro W. Childs, a Protestant Los Angeles horticulturist and merchant; former California governor John G. Downey, an Irish-Catholic pharmacist and businessman; and Isaias W. Hellman, a German-Jewish Los Angeles philanthropist and banker/founder of Farmers and Merchants Bank of Los Angeles. The gift provided land for a campus as well as a source of endowment, the seeds of financial support for the nascent institution."

From J.P.'s Wiki page:
"Widney married twice. His first wife was Ida DeGraw Tuthill Widney on May 17, 1869 in San Jose, California. They lived in the Bunker Hill, Los Angeles, California area, next to his brother Judge Robert M. Widney."

and: " He was concerned about water conservation, and warned what is now called smog, identifying it as a concern in 1938, well before it gained official recognition in Los Angeles.

J.P. served as USC's second president.

Plenty more interesting tidbits here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Widney

and here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M._Widney

R.M. Widney statue in front of Widney Alumni House, USC
https://i.imgur.com/NsCxXEZ.jpg?1https://deskgram.net/explore/tags/widneyalumnihouse

BillinGlendaleCA Nov 5, 2018 7:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristolian (Post 8368583)
So I take this to mean the hole will become the foundation for an air raid siren tower, no?

Yes, there was a Nike launch site close by. It was just north of where The Japanese Garden is now.

Handsome Stranger Nov 5, 2018 7:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8368413)
I found a whole bunch of getty images without the getty marking over the photographs. (it's like I entered through a backdoor or something)
I was thrilled until I realized there wasn't any information on the photos either. (except for the year) I kid you not.

In this case...the year is 1955.

I can't figure out why these women are digging a large square hole. (actually it's rectangular...but you know what I mean...right Handsome Stranger?)

I can't comment further until we resolve whether this is a whole hole or half a hole.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.