SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

BillinGlendaleCA Nov 11, 2020 5:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9102909)
.
Here's another original slide from the 'Skid Row' group.


There are a few interesting storefronts. Lucky Pawn Shop - a laundry - Lou's Cafe - Al's Bar - and a liquor store.



My favorite is Al's Bar with its streamline facade and marquee. (and round window?)



Here's a closer look.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/KESFXE.jpg


I believe we have seen Al's on nla in the past but I haven't been able to find the post(s).

.

That portion of the 300 block of E. 5th is now the Los Angeles Mission, The 3 story building at the right is the Panama Hotel and is still there. The building in the background with "swim suits swim trunks" is at 443 San Pedro and is a survivor.

CityBoyDoug Nov 11, 2020 2:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackerm (Post 9100313)
Behold, Skunk Place:
https://i.postimg.cc/zXWSf3HY/Citrus-Union-SDSU.jpg
SDSU Library

Or, as described in Don Enrique Dalton of the Azusa by C.C. Baker:
Here was a rancheria of those Indians nominally attached to Mission San Gabriel, called' in the Shoshonean
Asuksagna, and in the Serrano dialect Ashukshavit, meaning, lit-
erally, skunk place. It was doubtless so named from the fact that
skunks infested the hill which in pioneer days was occupied by the
adobe dwelling and extensive ranch buildings, displaced now by
Citrus Union High School in the present Azusa.

I had a skunk in my trash barrel a couple months ago. I whacked it with a flashlight. Today I tried another tactic to rid my yard of skunks....drugs.
Animal Control now refuses to take trapped skunks and possums....saying they are ''natural'' to this area of LA County. Years ago they did take them to their disposal yard. Seems like the PC culture now includes animal pests....they have ''rights'' now.

I guess the homeless are now also ''natural'' to LA County.

Scott Charles Nov 12, 2020 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 9103409)
I had a skunk in my trash barrel a couple months ago. I whacked it with a flashlight.

Congratulations on beating a harmless little animal! Ever heard of trash can lids?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 9103409)
Today I tried another tactic to rid my yard of skunks....drugs.

You might want to try some of those drugs yourself. Thorazine would be a good starting point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 9103409)
Animal Control now refuses to take trapped skunks and possums....saying they are ''natural'' to this area of LA County.

Because they are natural to LA County. Unlike yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 9103409)
I guess the homeless are now also ''natural'' to LA County.

Why don't you go hit them with a flashlight, too? Because it really sounds like you'd like to.

https://i.imgur.com/pg0U8pS.gif

AlvaroLegido Nov 12, 2020 6:27 PM

As usual...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 9104248)
Congratulations on beating a harmless little animal! Ever heard of trash can lids?
You might want to try some of those drugs yourself. Thorazine would be a good starting point.
Because they are natural to LA County. Unlike yourself.
Why don't you go hit them with a flashlight, too? Because it really sounds like you'd like to.
https://i.imgur.com/pg0U8pS.gif

As usual, CityBoyDoug never attacks first anyone ! This from the start of the thread. I am tired of this same scenario unworthy of the noirishers.

CityBoyDoug Nov 12, 2020 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido (Post 9104508)
As usual, CityBoyDoug never attacks first anyone ! This from the start of the thread. I am tired of this same scenario unworthy of the noirishers.

Scott Charles has been hating on me for years. There is a ton of hate on this thread occasionally....sad to say. Scott brings it to a new low level of his personal ugliness.

Thank you Alvaro for your comment.

Scott Charles Nov 13, 2020 1:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 9104558)
Scott Charles has been hating on me for years. There is a ton of hate on this thread occasionally....sad to say. Scott brings it to a new low level of his personal ugliness.

Why don't you link us all to these “hateful comments” I've been making about you “for years”? Oh, that's right - because they DON'T EXIST. Paranoia, much? :koko:

I haven't even been here “for years”, but in the months I have been present I've seen you instigate countless fights with other forum members. I've watched you make rude and sarcastic remarks against E_R. You NEVER stop playing the victim. And I've seen you try to inject your unwanted political opinions, in spite of being warned to knock it off, over and over and over again.

You NEVER get a clue. And you are the ONLY person on this forum who acts this way.

I've held my tongue every time you've gone out of your way to baselessly attack some forum member I admire and respect. They're all far more intelligent and mature than you could ever be, and don't require my help.

But when you start PUBLICLY BRAGGING ABOUT BEATING AND POISONING HARMLESS AND DEFENSELESS ANIMALS, I can hold my tongue no longer. YOU'RE NUCKING FUTS. And for stating that, I make no apology.

------

E_R, my apologies to you if I'm out of line - if you feel I deserve it, I will gladly accept any punishment you feel is fitting.

BillinGlendaleCA Nov 13, 2020 3:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 9103409)
I had a skunk in my trash barrel a couple months ago. I whacked it with a flashlight. Today I tried another tactic to rid my yard of skunks....drugs.
Animal Control now refuses to take trapped skunks and possums....saying they are ''natural'' to this area of LA County. Years ago they did take them to their disposal yard. Seems like the PC culture now includes animal pests....they have ''rights'' now.

I guess the homeless are now also ''natural'' to LA County.

Exactly what does this have to do with Noirish Los Angeles?

CityBoyDoug Nov 13, 2020 3:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 9104955)
Why don't you link us all to these “hateful comments” I've been making about you “for years”? Oh, that's right - because they DON'T EXIST. Paranoia, much? :koko:

I haven't even been here “for years”, but in the months I have been present I've seen you instigate countless fights with other forum members. I've watched you make rude and sarcastic remarks against E_R. You NEVER stop playing the victim. And I've seen you try to inject your unwanted political opinions, in spite of being warned to knock it off, over and over and over again.

You NEVER get a clue. And you are the ONLY person on this forum who acts this way.

I've held my tongue every time you've gone out of your way to baselessly attack some forum member I admire and respect. They're all far more intelligent and mature than you could ever be, and don't require my help.

But when you start PUBLICLY BRAGGING ABOUT BEATING AND POISONING HARMLESS AND DEFENSELESS ANIMALS, I can hold my tongue no longer. YOU'RE NUCKING FUTS. And for stating that, I make no apology.

------

E_R, my apologies to you if I'm out of line - if you feel I deserve it, I will gladly accept any punishment you feel is fitting.

We need links for all of your accusations concerning me. Thanks. BTW...I get countless pvt emails from noirishers telling me how much they enjoy my comments. I must be doing something correct.

Lwize Nov 13, 2020 3:05 AM

WTF has happened to this thread?

Earl Boebert Nov 13, 2020 4:09 AM

Let's chill, folks. This site is too important to have go under over a personal dispute. I've seen it happen too many times.

Cheers,

Earl

Bristolian Nov 13, 2020 5:15 AM

Back To Business As Usual?
 
This screenshot is from the opening of the Dragnet episode Narcotics that first aired January 30 1969. Who knows how much earlier the footage was shot but there sure wasn't much of "The Hill" left at that time.

https://i.imgur.com/YPVOgWe.jpg?1

While on the subject, it has been discussed here that the series Perry Mason had a habit of using the same actors in different roles but Dragnet was essentially a repertory company when it came to bit parts.

This gentleman, Howard Culver...
https://i.imgur.com/MPSG6XE.png?1

and this lady, Virginia Gregg
https://i.imgur.com/dhMzY1c.png?1
each appeared in thirteen episodes, never playing the same character twice. There were only 98 episodes of the 1967 - 1970 color Dragnets produced so that's a pretty impressive average. Is the series still great? Of course it is!

BillinGlendaleCA Nov 13, 2020 5:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristolian (Post 9105193)
This screenshot is from the opening of the Dragnet episode Narcotics that first aired January 30 1969. Who knows how much earlier the footage was shot but there sure wasn't much of "The Hill" left at that time.

https://i.imgur.com/YPVOgWe.jpg?1

That's pretty much what it looked like when I rode it in early 1969. They told us it'd be back in a couple of years.

ethereal_reality Nov 13, 2020 6:30 AM

.
mystery location.



Here's a snapshot of a 1963 Corvette Stingray parked across from Tom's No.5 Hamburger Stand, Los Angeles.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/frpbap.jpg
eBay





Here's a closer look.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/f9vCY9.jpg
detail


Does anyone know where Tom's No. 5 was located in the 1960s? It looks like it might be somewhere along a beach.



Today Tom's No. 5 is located at 4497 W. Pico Blvd.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/q9qrQT.jpg
gsv






There's a second snapshot of the '63 Stingray on eBay as well.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/dHOm5w.jpg
eBay


As you can see the background is different.





.

Bristolian Nov 13, 2020 6:45 AM

:previous:

e_r,
I know this one from personal history and an affinity for chili burgers. Tom's #5 was a Tommy's knock-off that was not too shabby. I ate there numerous times. It was also on Pico, and near the Beach as you speculated. It was on the corner of Pico and Ocean Ave in Santa Monica, just a couple of blocks from the sand.

Believe it or not, that is basically the same building with new cuisine and different surroundings. It's difficult to get a GSV street view from the same vantage point so this was the best I could do.

https://i.imgur.com/RjffFn8.png?1
GSV

CaliNative Nov 13, 2020 6:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristolian (Post 9105193)
This screenshot is from the opening of the Dragnet episode Narcotics that first aired January 30 1969. Who knows how much earlier the footage was shot but there sure wasn't much of "The Hill" left at that time.

https://i.imgur.com/YPVOgWe.jpg?1

While on the subject, it has been discussed here that the series Perry Mason had a habit of using the same actors in different roles but Dragnet was essentially a repertoire company when it came to bit parts.

This gentleman, Howard Culver...
https://i.imgur.com/MPSG6XE.png?1

and this lady, Virginia Gregg
https://i.imgur.com/dhMzY1c.png?1
each appeared in thirteen episodes, never playing the same character twice. There were only 98 episodes of the 1967 - 1970 color Dragnets produced so that's a pretty impressive average. Is the series still great? Of course it is!

My parents told me the original 1950s Dragnet was better and more serious than the late 1960s revival, which often seemed more like a parody. I was too young to see the original, although I was in High School during the revival and sometimes watched it for a laugh. The original must have been more noirish. The movie with Dan Ackroyd as Friday and his partner Tom Hanks is OK and good for a few laughs. Ackroyd did good Nixon & Sgt. Friday/Jack Webb impressions. Jack Webb has a role in the noir classic "Sunset Blvd." and he is nothing like Friday.
_________

Looking at that picture of The "urban renewal" aka destruction of Bunker Hill is so sad. Hill Street Blues. Fortunately the dozers never made it to the flats of the Broadway historic district. Imagine Bunker Hill today if some of the old Victorian neighborhoods had been preserved and mixed with new skyscrapers. Could have been L.A.'s Nob Hill. The destruction of the Richfield tower and Bunker Hill are two of the unfortunate events in DTLA history.

The old Hall of Records building should also have been preserved. Looked like a big castle. Had character. The odd angle followed the original street layout. The best and most interesting downtowns mix the best of old and new and preserve the urban fabric and street life.

Mstimc Nov 13, 2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9105231)
My parents told me the original 1950s Dragnet was better and more serious than the late 1960s revival, which often seemed more like a parody. I was too young to see the original, although I was in High School during the revival and sometimes watched it for a laugh. The original must have been more noirish. The movie with Dan Ackroyd as Friday and his partner Tom Hanks is OK and good for a few laughs. Ackroyd did good Nixon & Sgt. Friday/Jack Webb impressions. Jack Webb has a role in the noir classic "Sunset Blvd." and he is nothing like Friday.
_________

Looking at that picture of The "urban renewal" aka destruction of Bunker Hill is so sad. Hill Street Blues. Fortunately the dozers never made it to the flats of the Broadway historic district. Imagine Bunker Hill today if some of the old Victorian neighborhoods had been preserved and mixed with new skyscrapers. Could have been L.A.'s Nob Hill. The destruction of the Richfield tower and Bunker Hill are two of the unfortunate events in DTLA history.

The old Hall of Records building should also have been preserved. Looked like a big castle. Had character. The odd angle followed the original street layout. The best and most interesting downtowns mix the best of old and new and preserve the urban fabric and street life.

The 1950's version of Dragent was very noirish. It seems like it was a continuation of the style you see in 1948's "He Walks by Night", in which Richard Basehart plays a psycho killer who uses LA's flood control system to escape crime scenes. It was very much a police procedural drama, complete with explanatory voice-over narrative, much as Webb did in both versions of Dragnet. A young Jack Webb plays a police forensic specialist in the move. BTW, many of the repertoire actors from the 1967-70 version appear in the original 50's series, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rBZ7Hoaf5o

CaliNative Nov 13, 2020 1:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 4387323)
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5...ebeach1930.jpg


above: On the lighter side, Venice Beach 1930.

Going back through the early pages, here from 2009. Looking at this pic, I'm pretty sure some are heads of recent Presidents. One is Harding (in the center), another is perhaps Coolidge on the left (freckles), and the one on the right might be Hoover, although it also looks like W.C. Fields. Not sure who the one to the right of Harding is. Doesn't look like Wilson. Maybe Dem. 1928 Candidate Al Smith??? The donkey heads might be symbols of the Dems, although I don't see a Rep. Elephant head. Just a frog and alligator on the right.

CaliNative Nov 13, 2020 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mstimc (Post 9105268)
The 1950's version of Dragent was very noirish. It seems like it was a continuation of the style you see in 1948's "He Walks by Night", in which Richard Basehart plays a psycho killer who uses LA's flood control system to escape crime scenes. It was very much a police procedural drama, complete with explanatory voice-over narrative, much as Webb did in both versions of Dragnet. A young Jack Webb plays a police forensic specialist in the move. BTW, many of the repertoire actors from the 1967-70 version appear in the original 50's series, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rBZ7Hoaf5o

Interesting info. Thanks. I started watching the film, will watch it all. The opening "This is Los Angeles...etc." does indeed seem like a prototype Dragnet intro. Maybe Webb who is in the film got his Dragnet series idea from this film. Thanks again...back to watching film.

BillinGlendaleCA Nov 13, 2020 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristolian (Post 9105229)
:previous:

e_r,
I know this one from personal history and an affinity for chili burgers. Tom's #5 was a Tommy's knock-off that was not too shabby. I ate there numerous times. It was also on Pico, and near the Beach as you speculated. It was on the corner of Pico and Ocean Ave in Santa Monica, just a couple of blocks from the sand.

Believe it or not, that is basically the same building with new cuisine and different surroundings. It's difficult to get a GSV street view from the same vantage point so this was the best I could do.

https://i.imgur.com/RjffFn8.png?1
GSV

I was this close...
I knew the building in the back was the Hotel Casa Del Mar, but couldn't get the angle right.

CityBoyDoug Nov 13, 2020 3:03 PM

https://topsecretrecipes.com/var/ima...cat-recipe.jpg

Tommy's signature sandwich......THE BEST.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.