SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Austin (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=446)
-   -   Never will be built in Austin. (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125056)

southsideatx04 Feb 5, 2007 7:21 PM

Never will be built in Austin.

Which proposed building or buildings are not going to become reality in the downtown area or due you think that all of these will be built?

Austonian
Four Seasons Residences
Fifth & Congress (T-Stacey)
Gables Park Plaza
220/300 E. Riverside Project
AquaTerra
Fairfield Residential-Hyatt Project
Red River
Lofts on Shoal Creek
etc.....:runaway: :dead:

Jdawgboy Feb 5, 2007 8:38 PM

I think most wil be built but not all. I am not going to go that extra step and say wich one/ones I don't think will make it because Im very optimistic and would like to see them all get built, that being said even if some of them do not, Austin will still have a very impressive new skyline.

KevinFromTexas Feb 5, 2007 8:42 PM

I'd say The Austonian is a done deal. It's actually one of the buildings I feel the best about. I also think the Hyatt project will be built since they've gone through all the trouble of getting approval from the city and fighting the NIMBYS. Not sure about the rest of the projects in your list, though.

GoldenBoot Feb 5, 2007 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southsideatx04 (Post 2612757)
Which proposed building or buildings are not going to become reality in the downtown area or due you think that all of these will be built?

Austonian
Four Seasons Residences
Fifth & Congress (T-Stacey)
Gables Park Plaza
220/300 E. Riverside Project
AquaTerra
Fairfield Residential-Hyatt Project
Red River
Lofts on Shoal Creek
etc.....:runaway: :dead:

Austonian :fingerscrossed:
Four Seasons Residences :tup:
Fifth & Congress (T-Stacey) :fingerscrossed:
Gables Park Plaza :tup:
220/300 E. Riverside Project :koko:Something will be built. But not as originally proposed!!!
AquaTerra :tup:
Fairfield Residential-Hyatt Project :shrug:
Red River :tup:Possibly downscaled - One 30-story building and the other, a 10 to 15-story building
Lofts on Shoal Creek :shrug:More than likely, this will not be built by the current developer

JAM Feb 5, 2007 10:52 PM

I recently ran into the Fairfield architect. He seemed to indicate that it was going thru, although I never specifically asked him. I got the impression they were actively working on it.

innov8 Feb 5, 2007 10:58 PM

I have a feeling will need to start a thread like this for Sacramento... I hope
Austin get more than you guy expect.

atx001 Feb 6, 2007 12:54 AM

As a percent chance of being built (in my opinion)...

Austonian-90%
Four Seasons Residences-67%
Fifth & Congress (T-Stacey)-74%
Gables Park Plaza-40%*
220/300 E. Riverside Project-52%
AquaTerra-70%
Fairfield Residential-Hyatt Project-85%
Red River-71%
Lofts on Shoal Creek-60%

*This percentage could rise once the Seaholm project plans are finalized.

MichaelB Feb 6, 2007 2:05 AM

It is interesting to see these forcasts. I have always had the view they all will eventually get built, the question is when! (except maybe the shoal creek project.... wonder if the site requirements will doom it?)

KevinFromTexas Feb 6, 2007 2:10 AM

What's the problem with the Lofts on Shoal Creek? That building is only supposed to be 7 floors. Other than fiancing and profit reasons, I see no problem.

MichaelB Feb 6, 2007 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 2613683)
What's the problem with the Lofts on Shoal Creek? That building is only supposed to be 7 floors. Other than fiancing and profit reasons, I see no problem.

Kevin, wastn't there an issue with the creek itself? The setback required vs the buildable land....vs the height? Or did I make that up? I do that sometimes.

KevinFromTexas Feb 6, 2007 3:50 AM

I'm not sure. There hasn't really been anything in the paper about it since it was first released. Atleast that I know of. I just assumed it was because of financing issues.

MichaelB Feb 6, 2007 4:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 2613916)
I'm not sure. There hasn't really been anything in the paper about it since it was first released. Atleast that I know of. I just assumed it was because of financing issues.

Yeah.... I just tried to do a search but didn't turn up anything..... anyone else remember anything about this?

alexjon Feb 6, 2007 5:38 AM

Ugh, don't trust fairfield, you guys

Yet another timeshare operation that will suck the life out of a hotel/visitor district and then flee when the bubble is about to burst

MichaelB Feb 6, 2007 6:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexjon (Post 2614188)
Ugh, don't trust fairfield, you guys

Yet another timeshare operation that will suck the life out of a hotel/visitor district and then flee when the bubble is about to burst

Wha cha know? Where ya talkin about?

texastarkus Feb 6, 2007 1:06 PM

Well since you put this out for anyone to share his/her opinion, I guess I'll chime in. Every couple of weeks there is another new tower announced. I wouldn't be a bit suprised that most if not all of the delay is caused by the City of Austin planning office being bogged down with blueprints and can't keep up. There is a reason the towers keep getting announced. Evidently someone feels there is a market for downtown condos. Our good mayor did say he wants 25,000 people living downtown and somewhere on this bulletin board I read that will mean 35 fortystory towers will be necessary. If the mayor and council want to keep to their plan, expect to see not only all of these towers under construction but probably ten to fifteen more going up, very soon. The city leaders want to stem the tide of development in the Hill Country by making downtown THE place (for those who can afford it) to live. There will be a point where supply will catch up with the demand and the tower boom will stop or slow but don't forget, the council wants to develop the second street retail district and I don't think they're gonna stop at second street. New incentives for retail on Third and Fourth is coming to tie into the Warehouse District and the Night Clubs on 6th. In my humble opinion, the bottom two or three floors of at least one of the new towers will become a small shopping mall with even more retail. That retail could be shared between a couple of adjacent towers.
So to answer your question, I feel that all of the towers will go up and the city will give their official okey-dokey to even more...but hey what do I know.

Urbannizer Aug 26, 2018 11:54 PM

Never built Lofts on Shoal Creek:

https://munozalbin.com/project/shoal-creek-lofts/

https://munozalbin.com/wp-content/up...ERENDERING.jpg

The ATX Aug 27, 2018 1:24 AM

In keeping with the opening post, I'm going with Fifth & Congress (T-Stacey).

It's been 10 years, we've got a lot of catching up to do in this thread. :)

The ATX Aug 27, 2018 1:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 2613916)

I like Kevin's post from February 2007. Were we still relying on "the paper" for info back then? :haha:

KevinFromTexas Aug 27, 2018 4:59 AM

Yeah, we hadn't gotten wise yet to the ways of the force, and by that I mean, public records. :)

I'm not sure if any of that stuff was available online then, outside of maybe watching their presentations with some imagery.

The ATX Aug 27, 2018 5:59 AM

Things have totally reversed since 2007. Now it's more like it goes from SSP to a local blog to "the papers". :)