SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   Calgary Food, coffee, etc. (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140013)

CtrlAltDel Dec 8, 2007 1:09 AM

Very nice Furry! You've definitely piqued my interest in coffees, and look forward to trying these new and exciting places, thanks!
Also, I must try this Lobster poutine I keep hearing about...

ScottFromCalgary Dec 8, 2007 3:00 AM

I may as well throw in my kudos as well Furry. You have definitely piqued my interest in coffee and food in general since I have been part of this forum. Thanks a bunch.

SteveP Dec 8, 2007 3:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel (Post 3213440)
Very nice Furry! You've definitely piqued my interest in coffees, and look forward to trying these new and exciting places, thanks!
Also, I must try this Lobster poutine I keep hearing about...

That makes two of us.

Rusty van Reddick Dec 8, 2007 4:45 AM

Thanks for the kind words, folks. It was a real pleasure to talk about things that are meaningful for me.

Jimby Dec 8, 2007 5:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furrycanuck (Post 3213781)
Thanks for the kind words, folks. It was a real pleasure to talk about things that are meaningful for me.

now can you teach us how to say Cafe Artigiano? :haha:
________
Honda Cb400 Specifications

Rusty van Reddick Dec 8, 2007 5:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livingforthecity (Post 3213830)
now can you teach us how to say Cafe Artigiano? :haha:

That's Caffe, you clod!

art-ih-JOHN-o, I think :)

RWin Dec 8, 2007 9:41 PM

When it opens can you give us a coffee lesson there?

Surrealplaces Dec 9, 2007 2:02 AM

Furry, congrats on your arricle in Swerve! Your knowledge here on the thread is much appreciated. :tup:

Western Spaghetti Dec 9, 2007 9:44 PM

Nice job Furry!

Big Sky Dec 10, 2007 6:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWin (Post 3214833)
When it opens can you give us a coffee lesson there?

When it opens, we should have a meet up there. I'll probably be back in Calgary by then, so count me in if that sounds good to anyone else..

Rusty van Reddick Dec 10, 2007 6:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sky (Post 3217497)
When it opens, we should have a meet up there. I'll probably be back in Calgary by then, so count me in if that sounds good to anyone else..

Meet up would be easier if they're open eves, which might not be the case.

RWin Dec 10, 2007 4:09 PM

The worst coffee in town is right here in my office.

RWin Dec 10, 2007 4:15 PM

On a positive note we went to the Parthenon on Friday night. It's still my favorite place. The menu seems to be slightly bigger than last time we were there.

I love the food and the customer service there. When we went in we were asked if we had a reservation. I said no. The greeter looked at the book an was about to turn us away. But the owner was there and found a table for us.

So, make a reservation if you want to go there. The only time I've had to do that in the past is Mother's day. Maybe they're getting popular. Or maybe it was just a busy night for some reason.

Deepstar Dec 10, 2007 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWin (Post 3218026)
On a positive note we went to the Parthenon on Friday night. It's still my favorite place. The menu seems to be slightly bigger than last time we were there.

I love the food and the customer service there. When we went in we were asked if we had a reservation. I said no. The greeter looked at the book an was about to turn us away. But the owner was there and found a table for us.

So, make a reservation if you want to go there. The only time I've had to do that in the past is Mother's day. Maybe they're getting popular. Or maybe it was just a busy night for some reason.

Where is this place? I gotta try it out. Ever since Minas closed, I've been wanting to have a favorite Greek place.

NumberFive Dec 10, 2007 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deepstar (Post 3218452)
Where is this place? I gotta try it out. Ever since Minas closed, I've been wanting to have a favorite Greek place.

Corner of Heritage Drive and Fairmont.

Ayreonaut Dec 10, 2007 11:34 PM

I drove by that place yesterday, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Surrealplaces Dec 10, 2007 11:47 PM

There used to be a great place down in Mission called Andreas Taverna. That was a few years back, but it was really good. The problem with many of these Greek places, is that the owners retire and go back to Greece. Quite often their sons don't want to run the place so it closes down. I know that's been the case with a couple of Greek restaurants.

Kilgore Trout Dec 11, 2007 1:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Koentges
And as much as I dislike the expression--and it will surely offend his academic sensibilities--I'm going to go out on a limb and call Manzo a third-wave citizen.

"Third-wave citizen"... I like that.

Congratulations on the article. Chris Koentges actually interviewed me in 2002 for a radio documentary he was doing. He's a really nice guy. People like him make me think that this freelancing gig might be worth it after all.

Rusty van Reddick Dec 11, 2007 5:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout (Post 3219329)
"Third-wave citizen"... I like that.

Congratulations on the article. Chris Koentges actually interviewed me in 2002 for a radio documentary he was doing. He's a really nice guy. People like him make me think that this freelancing gig might be worth it after all.

Very cool guy- we talked for almost 4 hours (!!) and I had no idea what was going to end up in the article.

NumberFive Dec 11, 2007 5:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut (Post 3219090)
I drove by that place yesterday, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

I've said in this forum before, I think that Parthenon is one of the better "small" greek places in the city. I don't know the background of it, but it seems to be family owned, and the food is outstanding.