SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

Lwize Apr 2, 2020 1:56 AM

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ETiF...IMG_9384.0.jpg

(Alissa Walker, Curbed Los Angeles)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curbed LA
LA’s most beautiful storage building was also a speakeasy

During Prohibition, the ornate tower was more than a place to store old mattresses
By Hadley Meares Apr 1, 2020, 10:10am PDT

High atop the American Storage Co. building, midnight revelers were living it up in the penthouse suites of the “members only” Forty-One Club. It was Christmastime in 1931, and below, the Beverly-Vermont area was quiet, most unaware of the activities going on 150 feet above. Suddenly, federal agents raided the club, arresting the manager, bartender, waiters, the hostess, and even the cook. As patrons fled down the elevators and staircase to the parking lot below, the feds set to work, combing every inch of the club. What they found was a whole lot of illegal hooch.

Today, the American Storage building towers over a particularly nondescript interchange of low-slung gas stations, bungalows, and markets. Visible from the 101 freeway, it rises like a sleek, sophisticated fortress, seemingly much too glamorous to simply be a place Angelenos store their unwanted junk. But for a time, it was.

In 1927, Comosart Realty and Building Corp. president James Bowen announced the construction of a new state-of-the-art storage facility on Beverly Boulevard. In the spirit of the LA boomtime mentality of the of the 1920s, the $800,000 structure was to be no ordinary storage complex. “The structure, thirteen stories in height, is to be the first building of its kind in Los Angeles following the setback plan of New York’s skyscrapers,” the Los Angeles Times reported in November of that year.

The cosmopolitan setback plan, which has often been referred to as the “wedding cake” style, was that of a tiered skyscraper. The setback had been the architectural answer to a 1916 New York City zoning law that limited the amount of mass a building could take up on a single lot. “There were a number of different formulas, but in general terms, the law required that after a prescribed vertical height above the sidewalk (usually 90 feet for cross streets or 150 to 200 feet for avenues), a high-rise had to be stepped back within a diagonal plane projected from the center of the street,” explains Planning and Zoning New York City: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow.

The 1916 law had resulted in such famous New York landmarks as the Empire State Building and the Waldorf Astoria. While Los Angeles did not have such a law, the city did have an ordinance—on the books since 1904—stipulating that a building could only be 13 stories, or 150 feet in height, ensuring “symmetry of the skyline” (the law would be on the books until 1956).

Prominent architect Arthur E. Harvey was hired to design the Beverly Boulevard storage facility. Harvey designed many landmark LA buildings over the years, including the Chateau Elysée (now the Scientology Celebrity Centre) in Franklin Village, Wilshire Professional Building, the Santa Monica Professional Building, Los Altos Apartments in Windsor Square, and the Woman’s Club of Hollywood.

On Beverly Boulevard, he drafted an elaborate Italianate- and Spanish-style structure that looked more like a stylish fortress than a place to store old mattresses. Built with reinforced concrete by the Luther T. Mayo construction firm, it included much more than storage lockers. The LA Times reported that it boasted a roof garden, radio broadcast station, a rug cleaning establishment, and huge bank vaults for jewelry and bonds.

Architect Arthur E. Harvey designed the storage building, and a number of other ornate landmarks, including the Los Altos Apartments.

The American Storage Building opened in early 1928. Within no time it was making news, not for its ample storage facilities, but for its nocturnal activities. It was the era of Prohibition, and illegal speakeasies, where Angelenos could drink and party away from prying police, flourished.

These speakeasies were such big business, Los Angeles Public Library librarian Kelly Wallace told Downtown Los Angeles, that by 1927, “there were twice as many speakeasies as there had been bars before prohibition had been enacted… [prohibition] increased the number of drinking establishments.”

While most speakeasies were underground in former basements or cellars, club owners saw in the American Storage building the novel opportunity of hiding out above ground rather than below.

In September of 1928, E.W. “Curley” Bordwell opened The Roof Garden Nightclub in the building’s penthouse clubrooms. Bordwell had previously been the manager of Cliff Dwellers, a club on Beverly Boulevard “modeled” after a “Hopi Indian Dwelling.” Bordwell promised that this new club would be a “nite club deluxe” with live jazz music peformed by George Redman’s orchestra and “an unusual panorama view of Los Angeles,” the LA Times reported.

Redman’s band was a fixture during the Roof Garden’s brief existence, having already been in residence at the legendary Cabrillo Ship Café in Venice. According to LA Heyday blogger Tiffney Sanford, live broadcasts of local jazz bands were also broadcast from the club on the radio station KMTR during the day and evening.

But it seems Bordwell quickly fell out with the owners of the building and The Roof Garden closed. On December 22, 1928, “Thirteenth Heaven,” billed as the “smartest cabaret in the West,” opened on the storage building’s rooftop.

The American Storage building was becoming an increasingly lively place. That same month, radio station KTM celebrated a new 1000-watt transmitter from its studio within the building. From 9 to 11 p.m. Angelenos tuned in to listen to a cavalcade of local celebrities.

Bud Murray, a self-styled theater impresario who came to Los Angeles from New York to direct the play Good News at the Mayan Theater in Downtown soon turned his attention to Thirteenth Heaven, directing the club’s showgirls, who he called “angelic maidens in songs and dances.” He also hired colleagues, including comedian “Sunkist” Eddie Nelson, who had starred in Good News, to perform at the club. On New Year’s Eve, Murray arranged a special dance revue at the club, with gifts and noisemakers handed out to revelers as the clock turned to 1929.

Murray’s profile in LA was on the rise. In addition to his work at Thirteenth Heaven, he also began stage directing for the legendary Grauman’s chain of theaters. In early 1929, he opened the Bud Murray School of the Stage on the sixth floor of the American Storage building.

The theater school (now known as the Bud Murray School for Screen and Stage) flourished, but Thirteenth Heaven didn’t have the same success. By early 1931, the penthouse space had been taken over by a social organization called the LA Press Club. During Prohibition, these private clubs were often havens for illegal drinking and bootlegging, and it seems the “Press Club” was no exception. On March 19th, the LA Times reported:

Federal prohibition agents yesterday raided the quarters of the so-called Los Angeles Press Club at 3636 Beverly Blvd. and reported the arrest of five Negro employees of the place and seizure of a quantity of beer, a brewing plant and other apparatus. The five employees appeared last night before United States Commissioner Head and were released on bail of $500 each on charges of possession of illicit beer.

Not only did the feds find 203 bottles of beer, they also found 21-gallon crocks of beer mash. It appears this was the end of the dubious press club. But the penthouse rooms were quickly taken over by the slick Forty-One Club. The club was operated by Marco Sheffield, a former Los Angeles Police Department officer. According to members, the purpose of the club was to “promote the social and intellectual welfare of members, to provide general headquarters for the accomplishment of this purpose, and acquire property to attain these ends,” the LA Times reported.

Special agents began to hang around the club trying to suss out what was really going on, annoying members to no end.

In October 1931, the Forty-One Club filed suit against the government, in an effort to stop the LAPD and District Attorney for repeatedly bursting into the club and patrolling the floors. “It spoils the atmosphere,” an attorney hired by the club told the LA Times. “Naturally, when a gentleman isn’t used to associating socially with policemen, it takes his mind off his bridge game. Instead of using the Whitehead or Culbertson system, he worries over whether he shall use the Steckel or Fitts [law enforcement agents] system.”

The Forty-One Club went even further. Warning buzzers and an elaborate series of alarms were installed to alert operators of the vice squad’s presence. The club won in court, although the police chief claimed the ruling did not disallow all police monitoring.

In retaliation against the club and courts, the police posted two uniformed guards at the club’s entrance who asked everyone their reason for entering. It also seems they were in contact with forces with more manpower than themselves. On December 15, 1931, a sophisticated sting caught the Forty-One Club operators unaware.

That afternoon, Col. George Seaver, assistant federal Prohibition administrator in San Francisco, flew to LA and traveled directly to the American Storage building. There, he was met by federal Prohibition officer Thomas Noe, and undercover Santa Monica police officer Tommy Carr, “detective of many disguises.” After arrests had been made, the team searched high and low for the clubs numerous hidden liquor stashes. They discovered around $10,000 worth of illegal booze.

The feds didn’t just confiscate booze. The next day, a feast from the Forty-One Club’s kitchen, including steaks, avocado salad and oysters, was donated to the Salvation Army. The club’s furnishings were also confiscated and tagged.

Fourteen employees of the club would eventually stand trial for violation of the Volstead Act. At the closely covered trial in November 1928, several prominent Angelenos were compelled to testify, though they all seem to have only offered half-truths. “I kept a case of near Scotch in my office, and when I planned on visiting the club, I filled a flask and took it with me,” attorney Griffith Jones testified. “I never purchased any liquor at the club, but I was treated on several occasions by a client who I met there.” Another visitor, the film actor Roy D’Arcy, testified that there was a large crowd when he visited, but conveniently he had never seen the defendants before.

According to reports, several Forty-One Club employees were convicted. George Hill, the owner of the building, was also convicted. Sentences were lenient, ranging from three months in the clink for Sheffield to three years of probation for cashier Helen Jefferson. A year to the day of the raid, several thousand dollars worth of pool tables, china, glassware, and furniture were auctioned off in the old club rooms on the 13th floor.

It was not the only auction held at the American Storage building. For several years the Dan Feldman Auction House was located in the building, and many auctions were held in the structure’s ample storage spaces. On December 18, 1934, all of the furnishings from the legendary Alexandria Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles were auctioned off.

With the repeal of prohibition in 1933, it seems life in the American borage Building calmed significantly. During World War II it was transformed into a procurement building for the Air Crops, its storage lockers and rooms used to safely secure military supplies. After the war, veterans came to the building to buy surplus supplies, everything from asbestos packing and power saws to airplanes. Members of the 409 Engineer Special Brigade Reserve met in the building to practice maneuvers.

By the late 1940s, the American Storage building had returned to civilian life. Pacific Telephone Co. moved in. Its directory delivery department, directory sales office, the yellow pages sales office, and the yellow pages customer service office were all housed in the building. The company was there until at least the late 1960s.

Today, the building is once again used for a boring but necessary purpose. It is owned by the self-storage company . Units range from $40 a month for a small locker to $326 a month for a large upstairs room. It seems nothing illegal or illicit goes on anymore, but who knows. If you crack open some long-locked lockers, you might find a fortune in booze worthy of a Storage Wars episode.

https://la.curbed.com/2020/4/1/21199...ly-los-angeles

Lorendoc Apr 2, 2020 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8881513)
Would the elevation of 320 ft. be any sort of a clue to finding the location? I'm assuming it's feet.

I'm pretty sure that elevation would have been the same for all city limits signs (cheaper that way). The 320 feet is about right for City Hall-adjacent altitudes.

Here's a WAG for e_r's mystery location: the Paradise Motor Lodge and Trailer Park which in the 1956 CD was at 3439 N San Fernando Road. This address is indeed on the border of LA and Glendale, and the hill in the background might be part of Forest Lawn-Glendale. The other 5 Motor Lodges in the CD were well inside city limits. That said, it could pretty much have been anywhere, like out in Sun Valley etc.

HenryHuntington Apr 2, 2020 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorendoc (Post 8881927)
I'm pretty sure that elevation would have been the same for all city limits signs (cheaper that way). The 320 feet is about right for City Hall-adjacent altitudes.

Here's a WAG for e_r's mystery location: the Paradise Motor Lodge and Trailer Park which in the 1956 CD was at 3439 N San Fernando Road. This address is indeed on the border of LA and Glendale, and the hill in the background might be part of Forest Lawn-Glendale. The other 5 Motor Lodges in the CD were well inside city limits. That said, it could pretty much have been anywhere, like out in Sun Valley etc.

Lorendoc, I'm with you on the general area where we might find pay dirt.

I tried to figure out the name of the bus operator at the bottom of the Bus Stop sign attached to the pole. Of course, I couldn't quite make it out even with a lot of magnification and squinting. But I thought the characters could match "Asbury Rapid Transit", which operated a number of East Valley routes at that time.

The only two locations on their lines that I could find that would fit the criteria of crossing into the City of L.A. at an intersection with a hill on the right side would be Glenoaks Blvd. at Cohasset St. (Burbank to L.A.) or Foothill Blvd. at Lowell Ave. (La Cresenta to Sunland).

I haven't fallen in love with either of these places. The first is now the entrance to the Woodbury University campus, and the hill would've had to have been cut down considerably to justify the current topography. The latter location has Lowell Ave. climbing nicely except that it's bending toward the north and the city line is on the far (wrong) side of Lowell. The 1956 Street Directory doesn't reach either location, so no help there.

Back to the Bus Stop sign: it isn't the metal triangle that LARy/PE/LAMC standardized in the 1930s, but I realized that I don't know what shape Asbury used. I can't think of other operators out that way in the early '50s, but if the sign belonged to somebody else, my line of reasoning detonates in my face and it's back to Square One.

BillinGlendaleCA Apr 2, 2020 6:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 8881966)

Lorendoc, I'm with you on the general area where we might find pay dirt.

I tried to figure out the name of the bus operator at the bottom of the Bus Stop sign attached to the pole. Of course, I couldn't quite make it out even with a lot of magnification and squinting. But I thought the characters could match "Asbury Rapid Transit", which operated a number of East Valley routes at that time.

The only two locations on their lines that I could find that would fit the criteria of crossing into the City of L.A. at an intersection with a hill on the right side would be Glenoaks Blvd. at Cohasset St. (Burbank to L.A.) or Foothill Blvd. at Lowell Ave. (La Cresenta to Sunland).

I haven't fallen in love with either of these places. The first is now the entrance to the Woodbury University campus, and the hill would've had to have been cut down considerably to justify the current topography. The latter location has Lowell Ave. climbing nicely except that it's bending toward the north and the city line is on the far (wrong) side of Lowell. The 1956 Street Directory doesn't reach either location, so no help there.

Back to the Bus Stop sign: it isn't the metal triangle that LARy/PE/LAMC standardized in the 1930s, but I realized that I don't know what shape Asbury used. I can't think of other operators out that way in the early '50s, but if the sign belonged to somebody else, my line of reasoning detonates in my face and it's back to Square One.

It's not Foothill/Lowell since there was a flood control channel running though where the houses and motor inn would be in 1952.

https://i.postimg.cc/1zM5r6xh/Annota...-01-234806.jpgvia UCSB(Framefinder)

I'm pretty sure it's not the Glendale/LA border on on San Fernando either, that area was pretty built up and industrial by 1944(also the area right by San Fernando is flat for a block or so until you reach the Forest Lawn property.
https://i.postimg.cc/j5x5XVSX/Annota...-01-235945.jpgvia UCSB Framefinder

odinthor Apr 2, 2020 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8880878)
mystery location.

I recently happened upon this snapshot on eBay.

It shows a lonely bus stop at the Los Angeles City Limit.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/AhPWb3.jpg
eBay

[...]

Does this area look familiar to anyone?

Going by nothing but a feeling, e_r, I get a Palos Verdes/Rolling Hills vibe from this photo.

Flyingwedge Apr 2, 2020 8:46 PM

700 N. Spring

This is the first photo at Beaudry's latest discovery (serendipitism.blogspot.com):

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...m.blogspot.jpg

The 1956 LA Street Address Directory lists the Wai Sang Meat Market at 700 N. Spring, which is on the NE corner of Ord and N. Spring.

That means we're looking at the 1888 Tononi Block (aka San Fernando Hotel), seen here center/right and partially hidden by a tree,
with the towered 1887 Clinton Block (aka Sunset/Hill Hotel) at left, directly across N. Spring:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6120844)

cracked glass slide
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3716/aa...etsanferna.jpg
found on an old cd of mine

The Sunset/Hill Hotel and the San Fernando Hotel and points beyond...including a bridge.
__

In 1888, what is now N. Spring was known as Upper Main, and what is now Ord was called Walters. The Tononi Block was built by
Giacomo Tononi and its architect was A. M. Edelman:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...entries(2).jpg

1890 LA City Directory at fold3.com

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...-%20larger.jpg

November 18, 1887, Los Angeles Herald at CDNC/UC Riverside

As we've discussed here before, both the Tononi and Clinton Blocks are still standing, albeit shorn of their upper floors.
The Tononi lost its in 1960:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...ni%20Block.jpg

LA Department of Building and Safety

ethereal_reality Apr 2, 2020 9:47 PM

Yorkshire Hotel?

The photographer must have leaned waay out the window to get this shot.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/u539Qc.jpg

Here is what's written on the reverse.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/0Jotmd.jpg

Does anyone have information on the Yorkshire Hotel?

It's briefly mentioned in this post by HossC, Here

The seller included this close-up.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/pthJwP.jpg

Everyone is so well dressed.

I appreciate all the help on the Los Angeles City Limit sign snapshot. :) I'm still looking.

Hollywood Graham Apr 2, 2020 11:10 PM

L.A City Limit Sign

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8882672)
Yorkshire Hotel?

Here is what's written on the reverse.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/0Jotmd.jpg

Does anyone have information on the Yorkshire Hotel?

It's briefly mentioned in this post by HossC, Here

The seller included this close-up.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/pthJwP.jpg

Everyone is so well dressed.

I appreciate all the help on the Los Angeles City Limit sign snapshot. :) I'm still looking.

I have not found a location however I did find an exact same sign in another collectors collection. Unfortunately he does not know location either. His could be the same sign or from another location.

HossC Apr 2, 2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8882672)

Yorkshire Hotel?

It's still there at 710 S Broadway, although now it's the Yorkshire Apartments. Now, which window was the photographer in? I'm guessing that it was maybe the third floor fire escape.

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/...hireHotel1.jpg
GSV

HenryHuntington Apr 3, 2020 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 8882248)
Going by nothing but a feeling, e_r, I get a Palos Verdes/Rolling Hills vibe from this photo.

I've looked at every major arterial entrance to the City of Los Angeles that's placed near hills, and I can't find a match. Freeway construction might've impacted a couple of possibilities: Venura Blvd. at Fallbrook Ave. and Colorado Blvd. at Patricia Ave.

Good luck to those who continue the search, hopefully with more inspiration than I've been able to muster.

Bristolian Apr 3, 2020 5:42 AM

:previous:

Taking inspiration from Odinthor's hunch, I looked at Western Avenue, heading south into San Pedro, around Palos Verdes Drive North. It is near the city limit and you do get a considerable hill on your right but I checked some Framefinder aerials from the '50s and there was nothing resembling the motor lodge in that area.
I am intrigued by the Palos Verdes area possibility but it doesn't seem a likely place for a motor lodge.

That's all I got.

BillinGlendaleCA Apr 3, 2020 8:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristolian (Post 8883061)
:previous:

Taking inspiration from Odinthor's hunch, I looked at Western Avenue, heading south into San Pedro, around Palos Verdes Drive North. It is near the city limit and you do get a considerable hill on your right but I checked some Framefinder aerials from the '50s and there was nothing resembling the motor lodge in that area.
I am intrigued by the Palos Verdes area possibility but it doesn't seem a likely place for a motor lodge.

That's all I got.

I was looking at Valley near CSULA, but the businesses(looked like a junk yard) didn't match.

ethereal_reality Apr 3, 2020 5:43 PM

Magritte's Pick of the Day.

Fish on Pole.......................................................................................................................

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/wjKDB4.jpg
lapl

LAPL isn't 100% sure of the location.

"A dead fish lies on top of a post on a downtown sidewalk, as three men stand by. This may be the corner of 5th and Spring Strets, at the entrance to the Alexandria Hotel, looking south."

I just had to make sure it was a fish.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/lXn9iC.png

It's a fish.

I'm curious about the plaque. It looks like Benjamin Franklin raising a beer.

Does anyone know what it means? :shrug:

ethereal_reality Apr 3, 2020 6:06 PM

Mickey Cohen's Dead Bulldog.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/9AEBcZ.jpg
LAPL

Mickey Cohen besides the casket containing his dead bulldog Mickey, Jr., Jun. 28, 1960.

The bulldog's name was Mickey Jr. ...I kid you not.

Mickey Jr. / was it murder?

HossC Apr 3, 2020 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8883558)

Magritte's Pick of the Day.

Fish on Pole.......................................................................................................................

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/wjKDB4.jpg
lapl

LAPL isn't 100% sure of the location.

"A dead fish lies on top of a post on a downtown sidewalk, as three men stand by. This may be the corner of 5th and Spring Streets, at the entrance to the Alexandria Hotel, looking south."

I'm curious about the plaque. It looks like Benjamin Franklin raising a beer.

Does anyone know what it means? :shrug:

LAPL's location seems to be correct. The plaque is still there, but it's been moved to the Spring Street side of the column. I haven't yet found out why it's there.

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/...driaHotel1.jpg
GSV

Martin Pal Apr 3, 2020 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorendoc (Post 8881927)

You are probably right about the signs being standardized. Although in searching for Los Angeles City Limit signs there are some variations...233, 268, 320 and 330, but I haven't seen any more than 330. The Elevationmap.net info says: Los Angeles has an average elevation of around 285 feet (87 m), but the city has very different elevations at various points. For example, the highest point in the city of Los Angeles is Mt. Lukens. Located in Los Angeles County in the northeastern part of the city, Mt. Lukens has an elevation of 5,075 feet (1,547 m). Meanwhile, the lowest point in Los Angeles is the Pacific Ocean itself, which is at sea level.

But as I said, most I've seen are 320, like this photo I post because it's interesting, taken during the riots in 1965, and we can tell the location.

https://imgc.artprintimages.com/img/...=900&p=0&w=900agefotostock

odinthor Apr 3, 2020 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8883646)
LAPL's location seems to be correct. The plaque is still there, but it's been moved to the Spring Street side of the column. I haven't yet found out why it's there.

GSV

_______

Whatever the significance, the plaque or its predecessors have been there a long time. Here are three details from LAPL images:

1915:

https://i.postimg.cc/9FSDzvvB/Alex90233-1915.jpg
ID 90233

1934:

https://i.postimg.cc/v80gw1hk/Alex10926.jpg
ID 10926

1974:

https://i.postimg.cc/tC71qXmT/Alex87103.jpg
ID 87103

BillinGlendaleCA Apr 4, 2020 4:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8883708)
You are probably right about the signs being standardized. Although in searching for Los Angeles City Limit signs there are some variations...233, 268, 320 and 330, but I haven't seen any more than 330. The Elevationmap.net info says: Los Angeles has an average elevation of around 285 feet (87 m), but the city has very different elevations at various points. For example, the highest point in the city of Los Angeles is Mt. Lukens. Located in Los Angeles County in the northeastern part of the city, Mt. Lukens has an elevation of 5,075 feet (1,547 m). Meanwhile, the lowest point in Los Angeles is the Pacific Ocean itself, which is at sea level.

But as I said, most I've seen are 320, like this photo I post because it's interesting, taken during the riots in 1965, and we can tell the location.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bb58e9f8_b.jpg_C270338.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

Mt. Lukens after our Boxing Day storm last year, the Le Mesnager Barn is the structure in the foreground.

Hollywood Graham Apr 4, 2020 5:04 AM

Fish On A Post And Plaque

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8883646)

GSV

The post that the fish is on is an old Fire Alarm/Police Call Box pedestal left over from days gone by. The meaning of the fish I don't know. The plaque looks like what Bergermiester Beer used on advertisements. Could be wrong however.

Martin Pal Apr 4, 2020 5:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA (Post 8884172)
Mt. Lukens after our Boxing Day storm last year, the Le Mesnager Barn is the structure in the foreground.

Thanks for this photo Bill!