SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

StealthGirl Jan 18, 2021 8:21 PM

EB Games in Cornwall closed on January 17.

jigglysquishy Jan 18, 2021 8:29 PM

That's a damn shame.

We no longer have a video game store in the inner city.

yveseluj Jan 18, 2021 8:54 PM

How many vacancies are there in the Cornwall now?

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 18, 2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yveseluj (Post 9163824)
How many vacancies are there in the Cornwall now?

Vacant 1st Floor
Former Sears
Former Le Chateau
Former EB Games

Vacant 2nd Floor
Former GAP
Former Eddie Bauer
Former Payless Shoes
Former Stokes

StealthGirl Jan 19, 2021 5:12 PM

Obvious EB Games and Stokes are little, but there is some serious big space open. Sears, GAP and Eddie Bauer are big square footage. Mall management should be nervous that the Bay is struggling in other centres.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 19, 2021 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9164553)
Obvious EB Games and Stokes are little, but there is some serious big space open. Sears, GAP and Eddie Bauer are big square footage. Mall management should be nervous that the Bay is struggling in other centres.

Still waiting to see if the Cornwall Centre could solidify Goodlife Fitness and Winners and/or Homesense. Also maybe a Sobey’s/Save On Foods could work to fill the larger spaces?

I am hoping Planet Fitness can be secured at the Southland Mall as that would be perfect in the Medical Centre proposed area.

djforsberg Jan 19, 2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9164747)
Still waiting to see if the Cornwall Centre could solidify Goodlife Fitness and Winners and/or Homesense. Also maybe a Sobey’s/Save On Foods could work to fill the larger spaces?

I am hoping Planet Fitness can be secured at the Southland Mall as that would be perfect in the Medical Centre proposed area.

Once the pandemic passes, I could see a gym in Cornwall being a reality considering the closing of the YMCA. COVID, however, will likely have a lasting impact on gyms if anyone was like me. The gym is one of my most important things for my mental and physical health and when mine closed in the spring I started collecting equipment for my house. After spending much of what I saved from being isolated, now I practically have everything I need and will likely never step foot in a gym again. I can’t wait to get back to Oxygen for hot yoga and fitness classes though.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 19, 2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9164920)
Once the pandemic passes, I could see a gym in Cornwall being a reality considering the closing of the YMCA. COVID, however, will likely have a lasting impact on gyms if anyone was like me. The gym is one of my most important things for my mental and physical health and when mine closed in the spring I started collecting equipment for my house. After spending much of what I saved from being isolated, now I practically have everything I need and will likely never step foot in a gym again. I can’t wait to get back to Oxygen for hot yoga and fitness classes though.

Even tho I am sure many people might have purchased some gym equipment during the lockdown, the majority will still go to an actual gym. I cannot wait to be able to get back to Goodlife. There is nothing like using all of the equipment and space that is at an actual gym. Also working out around other people gives me more motivation than if I was at home in my apartment. People WILL want reasons to get out of their homes.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 20, 2021 12:56 AM

https://i.ibb.co/3cm61qb/337-ED0-C7-...46-C5-A144.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/wSq0bR6/BEBD38-EF-2...2-AE1043-F.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/wJdcm9V/8931-A9-D7-...9-EEFFD104.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/nmpJ7fh/194-A0-E2-F...E9-EB1-ED1.jpg

I was thinking having an Indigo Spirit/Coles or some form of a bookstore again at the Cornwall Centre would be nice. Was sad when Smithbooks closed.

djforsberg Jan 20, 2021 1:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9164994)
Even tho I am sure many people might have purchased some gym equipment during the lockdown, the majority will still go to an actual gym. I cannot wait to be able to get back to Goodlife. There is nothing like using all of the equipment and space that is at an actual gym. Also working out around other people gives me more motivation than if I was at home in my apartment. People WILL want reasons to get out of their homes.

Definitely. I get my social motivation at Oxygen!

StealthGirl Jan 20, 2021 2:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9165061)

I was thinking having an Indigo Spirit/Coles or some form of a bookstore again at the Cornwall Centre would be nice. Was sad when Smithbooks closed.

Yes, downtown needs a bookstore! Penny University or Awarehouse (pretty specialized content) would probably be the closest places.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 25, 2021 3:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9165127)
Yes, downtown needs a bookstore! Penny University or Awarehouse (pretty specialized content) would probably be the closest places.

Yes!!!! Would be so nice!

Festivus Jan 28, 2021 1:23 AM

Sobeys on South Albert is closing Feb 13.

StealthGirl Jan 28, 2021 2:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 9172739)
Sobeys on South Albert is closing Feb 13.

Transitioning to a Freshco but I'm not sure how long that changeover takes. Not surprising. They already have the Safeway at Southland, plus competition with Superstore on one side at Golden Mile and Save-On on the other side. South Albert is crazy with grocery stores.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 28, 2021 3:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9172779)
Transitioning to a Freshco but I'm not sure how long that changeover takes. Not surprising. They already have the Safeway at Southland, plus competition with Superstore on one side at Golden Mile and Save-On on the other side. South Albert is crazy with grocery stores.

That Sobeys needed a rebranding anyways especially with all the competition. I remember the excitement when Garden Market IGA first opened.

pappcam Jan 28, 2021 2:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9172779)

I think the FreshCo changeover on the Regent Park Safeway took about 5-6 months

Festivus Jan 28, 2021 3:18 PM

Sucks for all of the employees, I know there are a lot of long-time workers there.

HomeInMyShoes Jan 28, 2021 3:32 PM

FreshCo is owned by Sobey's. I'm pretty sure it will have mostly the same staff, but sucks to be out of hours when the changeover occurs.

Pre-COV-id, I did more shopping at Superstore than Sobey's, but during the last year, I've done the bulk at Sobey's. Just way less crowded and chaotic than SuperStore. They seemed to be ahead of the curve with handwashing stations, masks and general thought for what to do than others. I've always liked IGA and Sobey's over the years. I'm hoping FreshCo isn't too much of a change.

Festivus Jan 28, 2021 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 9173161)
FreshCo is owned by Sobey's. I'm pretty sure it will have mostly the same staff, but sucks to be out of hours when the changeover occurs.

Pre-COV-id, I did more shopping at Superstore than Sobey's, but during the last year, I've done the bulk at Sobey's. Just way less crowded and chaotic than SuperStore. They seemed to be ahead of the curve with handwashing stations, masks and general thought for what to do than others. I've always liked IGA and Sobey's over the years. I'm hoping FreshCo isn't too much of a change.

Sobeys has definitely been the best for in-store shopping during the pandemic—they are still taking things seriously, unlike most of the other chains. However, they are also one of the only chains not doing pickup or delivery orders. In my household we do online delivery every few weeks, and then only stop in if we absolutely need something right away (then we go to Sobeys). If we could order from Sobeys, we would, but can't.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 28, 2021 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 9173499)
Sobeys has definitely been the best for in-store shopping during the pandemic—they are still taking things seriously, unlike most of the other chains. However, they are also one of the only chains not doing pickup or delivery orders. In my household we do online delivery every few weeks, and then only stop in if we absolutely need something right away (then we go to Sobeys). If we could order from Sobeys, we would, but can't.

Guessing Voila hasn’t reached Saskatchewan yet?