SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Savannah - My Beautiful Fire (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216711)

Sketching Apr 19, 2015 9:27 PM

Savannah - My Beautiful Fire

deleted

Beedok Apr 19, 2015 9:40 PM

Those sweaty and gritty old cities in the American south are quite fascinating. Not my thing, but I can still see the unique charm that draws some folks.

The trees are so weird looking.

L41A Apr 19, 2015 10:54 PM

Great Pics. Savannah is beautiful.

williamphilapa Apr 20, 2015 12:13 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed those photos. Savannah looks amazing.

ColDayMan Apr 20, 2015 4:01 AM

Excellent.

sterlippo1 Apr 20, 2015 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beedok (Post 6996450)
Those sweaty and gritty old cities in the American south are quite fascinating. Not my thing, but I can still see the unique charm that draws some folks.

sweaty yes, gritty? Not a chance. For it's size, the most beautiful city in America , hands down

cabasse Apr 20, 2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beedok (Post 6996450)

lol, gritty.

i grew up in florida, so it was wierd not seeing spanish moss all over the trees when i moved to atl. is that what you're referring to?

another awesome thread, sketching. have a weekend trip planned there myself in a couple of weeks.

Beedok Apr 20, 2015 1:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlippo1 (Post 6996888)
sweaty yes, gritty? Not a chance. For it's size, the most beautiful city in America , hands down

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabasse (Post 6996927)
lol, gritty.

Did you guys look at the buildings? They're rather old and worn. Worn buildings result in bits of stuff having fallen off. Those bits of stuff are grit. So it's gritty. I wasn't saying anything about violence or whatnot, just the architecture is very human, earthy, and so gritty. Not the sterilised designs you get in suburbia or fresh condo towers up here in Canada.

Quote:

i grew up in florida, so it was wierd not seeing spanish moss all over the trees when i moved to atl. is that what you're referring to?

Probably. Where I've been living lately it's more conifers than deciduous, so that dangly stuff is totally foreign.

Prahaboheme Apr 20, 2015 1:29 PM

The historic district of Savannah is not gritty. Worn? You bet.

Beedok Apr 20, 2015 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prahaboheme (Post 6996968)
The historic district of Savannah is not gritty. Worn? You bet.

To me gritty is the antonym of sterile. It was meant as a compliment.:shrug:

Private Dick Apr 20, 2015 7:29 PM

I agree that Savannah does have grit to it -- the type of grit an old southern port city has earned. Much like New Orleans grit, though certainly not on the same level. The riverfront buildings are certainly gritty, old industrial structures.

And it's a very beautiful city.

Sketching Apr 20, 2015 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L41A (Post 6996509)
Great Pics. Savannah is beautiful.

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamphilapa (Post 6996573)
Thoroughly enjoyed those photos. Savannah looks amazing.

Thank you. Savannah is a great place. I always enjoy my visits there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColDayMan (Post 6996756)
Excellent.

Thank you.

Quote:

lol, gritty.

another awesome thread, sketching. have a weekend trip planned there myself in a couple of weeks.

Thank you. I hope you enjoy your visit. I think spanish moss is the second most beautiful thing in Georgia behind the pecan orchards of middle Georgia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlippo1 (Post 6996888)

It is a beautiful place with plenty of character.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Private Dick (Post 6997477)
I agree that Savannah does have grit to it -- the type of grit an old southern port city has earned. Much like New Orleans grit, though certainly not on the same level. The riverfront buildings are certainly gritty, old industrial structures.

And it's a very beautiful city.

Savannah does have some grit but it is a charming grit as you say similar to New Orleans. Mostly it is old by American standards (1733) and it has aged gracefully with very little change in the historic district. All that age provides plenty of character and I wouldn't have it any other way.

To be fair I should point out that some of these photos are off the beaten path down back alleyways and side streets that most tourists wouldn't venture down. Savannah is a wonderfully walkable city and I tend to cover lots of territory into the nooks and crannies where my eyes seek out decay.

Private Dick Apr 21, 2015 1:42 AM

I was just there a few weeks ago. Loved it. Thanks for the great photos to remind me of my recent visit!

RudyJK Apr 21, 2015 2:48 AM

Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos of one of my favorite places.

Explain the shop with the junk and lanterns in the window please.

Nightsky Apr 21, 2015 1:55 PM

Great pictures from one of USA:s most beautiful cities!

Danny Apr 21, 2015 8:23 PM

Savannah is always looking very pretty. Thanks for sharing your pictures about this beautiful city.

One day, I must visit Savannah, I´d really love it.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.:tup:

Driver8 Apr 21, 2015 11:05 PM

Beautiful pictures, once again! Nice to see several river shots as well.

Sketching Apr 22, 2015 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Private Dick (Post 6997918)
I was just there a few weeks ago. Loved it. Thanks for the great photos to remind me of my recent visit!

You are welcome and thank you for the comment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudyJK (Post 6997992)
Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos of one of my favorite places.

Explain the shop with the junk and lanterns in the window please.

You're welcome and thank you. That is Bradley's Locksmith with the cool old stuff in the window on E. State Street right off of Wright Square. There's another photo of the building in this thread. They were closed that day I walked by but I would love to stick my head in there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightsky (Post 6998315)
Great pictures from one of USA:s most beautiful cities!

Thank you Nightsky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny (Post 6998909)
Savannah is always looking very pretty. Thanks for sharing your pictures about this beautiful city.

One day, I must visit Savannah, I´d really love it.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.:tup:

Thank you Danny. Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driver8 (Post 6999153)
Beautiful pictures, once again! Nice to see several river shots as well.

Thank you Driver8. I've been on a posting hiatus letting photos marinate ;)

Driver8 Apr 22, 2015 3:15 AM

^^ Hopefully more will be ready to take out of the marinade soon :)

Btw, I think this picture is cool, and a bit mesmerizing.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7646/...aa8739b4_o.jpg

teaser75 Apr 22, 2015 3:49 PM

A true architectural gem. This city has something that I just cannot put my hands on. Great set.