SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buildings & Architecture (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   CHICAGO | St. Regis Chicago (Vista) | 1,191 FT | 101 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212182)

maru2501 Feb 2, 2017 4:57 PM

some of the biggest pours since Trump i suppose

which is weird because since Trump there have been a lot of big pours at my apartment also.

:eeekk::eeekk::eeekk::eeekk:

the urban politician Feb 2, 2017 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 7697927)
January 30, 2017

Never considered this angle. Will the tower line up with MCClurg court? That would be a wicked terminus for this budding view corridor

LouisVanDerWright Feb 2, 2017 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7698475)
Never considered this angle. Will the tower line up with MCClurg court? That would be a wicked terminus for this budding view corridor

It will also terminate LSD opposite the already awesome Field Museum view from the South. It will also be dead ending Wacker from the West where it will soar above the 20-30 floor buildings and Mather Tower in the foreground. I'm most looking forward to that angle as I have a feeling there will be some Trump-Wrigley style echo views aligning Mather's thin needle and the topmost skinny portion of Vista.

Renderin by Ryan 81:

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...psd3b8a1d3.jpg

danielschell Feb 2, 2017 10:35 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3sY9IxUcAEjy85.jpg

Bombardier Feb 3, 2017 3:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7698095)
I'm guessing they'll finish the second mini mat before there's a concrete pour?

The mat slab pour is scheduled for this Saturday.

Kngkyle Feb 3, 2017 3:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 7699273)

Do you know what volume we are talking about for this one? Looks like an incredibly thick mat.

Bombardier Feb 3, 2017 3:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 7699276)
Do you know what volume we are talking about for this one? Looks like an incredibly thick mat.

I heard around 4,000 CY

Rocket49 Feb 3, 2017 5:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 7699285)
I heard around 4,000 CY

Which is about 400 cement trucks?

Wow.

scalziand Feb 3, 2017 5:46 AM

Do they remove the scaffolding supporting the upper layers of rebar before the pour, or does it get incorporated into the mat?

Skyguy_7 Feb 3, 2017 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 7699273)

Attn BVic, Solar, Harry, Schell, JMT. Calling all photogs. I just don't want anyone to miss this. We need all angles.

KWILLSKYLINE Feb 3, 2017 1:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 7699506)
Attn BVic, Solar, Harry, Schell, JMT. Calling all photogs. I just don't want anyone to miss this. We need all angles.

Can we make a kickstart or donation page for all these photographer's so we can at least get them some lawn chairs, pizzas and a case of beer for the time they spend for a pour this size. It's going to be epic, thanks in advance fellas.

Skyguy_7 Feb 3, 2017 1:42 PM

^Haha yes! Just realized I forgot to include the creme de la creme, NICK! Apologies to anyone else I neglected to mention in the call to mass. God speed, brethren :cheers:

danielschell Feb 3, 2017 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 7699506)

Sadly, I can't be there. (took more pics yesterday, because....well, I had to. http://wp.me/p7uLxw-2aP )

deebirch Feb 3, 2017 2:57 PM

I'll likely make it down armed with an iPhone 7. Not the best camera, but hopefully someone with real equipment can make it down as well

Rocket49 Feb 3, 2017 3:09 PM

As someone who knows very little about cement, I was wondering if cement pours ever have to be rescheduled because of super cold weather.

Obviously, tomorrows forecast weather should present no major issues.

But if we were in the middle of a polar vortex, would everything go smoothly if the temperature were 10 or 20 below zero?

F1 Tommy Feb 3, 2017 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket49 (Post 7699595)
As someone who knows very little about cement, I was wondering if cement pours ever have to be rescheduled because of super cold weather.

But if we were in the middle of a polar vortex, would everything go smoothly if the temperature were 10 or 20 below zero?

They poured 150 N Riverside when it was well below zero so yes they can do it when it is very cold. Additives have to be added to the cement.

jc5680 Feb 3, 2017 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket49 (Post 7699595)

Weather can affect the curing but there are additives that can be used to help counteract the temperature. (Both hot and cold) These additives help speed or slow the curing process to offset temperature influence

For a pour of of 4000cy, the concrete curing will produce a fair amount of heat. The conditions will be more problematic for the people and machines working in them.

That said, rain or snow is more problematic than temperature. A batch of ready mix concrete is usually has a specific amount of water that can be added before it is no longer viable. Heavy rains for large element pours are show stoppers.

And, sorry to be pedantic, but they pour concrete not cement. Cement is a powder, but an ingredient in concrete.

vexxed82 Feb 3, 2017 4:17 PM

Ughhh. I'm heading out of town tomorrow afternoon. Any thoughts on how early they start work on a day like this? I'd love to snag few photos before I have to get home and pack...

P.S. Got to check out the lobby and rooftop terraces at 150 last night for sunset/blue hour. Not sure I'll get the edits done before I head out, but will have lots of cool view shots soon.

Rocket49 Feb 3, 2017 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 7699641)
And, sorry to be pedantic, but they poor concrete not cement. Cement is a powder, but an ingredient in concrete.

Ah. I tend to call everything cement. For instance, I guess I should say "concrete sidewalk" instead of "cement sidewalk". But I don't.

SamInTheLoop Feb 3, 2017 7:27 PM

Excited for the first massive pour.

Open question: What firm is the structural engineer for Vista?