SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   US Metro Areas(MSA) by 5-year job growth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240801)

dimondpark Oct 25, 2019 12:55 AM

US Metro Areas(MSA) by 5-year job growth

From bls.gov

Metro Areas(MSA) with a Population of 1 Million+ by Non-Farm Job Growth from September 2014 through September 2019
+716,800 New York +7.78%
+527,600 Los Angeles +9.25%
+508,700 Dallas +15.38%
+331,400 San Francisco +15.20%
+331,300 Atlanta +13.14%
+318,300 Phoenix +17.15%
+299,700 Miami +12.33%
+275,100 Chicago +6.05%
+273,900 Seattle +14.79%
+244,400 Riverside +18.89%

+230,000 Orlando +20.65%
+227,400 Washington DC +7.30%
+214,300 Houston +7.24%
+199,500 Boston +7.63%
+193,800 Philadelphia +6.95%
+169,600 Tampa +13.99%
+169,100 Denver +12.40%
+168,100 San Diego +12.48%
+167,200 Charlotte +15.59%
+165,100 Austin +17.79%

+147,200 Las Vegas +16.48%
+145,100 San Jose +14.30%
+140,100 Portland +12.92%
+133,900 Nashville +15.01%
+133,500 Detroit +7.01%
+127,300 Sacramento +14.27%
+126,800 San Antonio +13.20%
+109,900 Minneapolis +5.76%
+98,800 Salt Lake City +15.02%
+98,400 Jacksonville +15.75%

+94,500 Columbus +9.21%
+92,500 Kansas City +9.00%
+90,700 Cincinnati +8.61%
+86,500 Raleigh +15.31%
+88,200 St Louis +6.63%
+87,500 Indianapolis +8.72%
+83,200 Baltimore +6.15%
+50,700 Fresno +16.02%
+49,200 Grand Rapids +9.50%
+45,100 Cleveland +4.33%

+42,900 Richmond +7.75%
+41,000 Memphis +6.63%
+34,300 Oklahoma City +5.47%
+33,700 Virginia Beach +4.42%
+30,000 Birmingham +5.78%
+29,500 Milwaukee +3.46%
+28,400 Providence +4.93%
+27,000 Pittsburgh +2.31%
+25,600 Tucson +6.99%
+22,500 New Orleans +3.98%

+21,300 Rochester +4.06%
+17,100 Buffalo +3.08%
+14,900 Tulsa +3.37%

Here's the Top 15 MSAs back to the beginning of this decade.

Sep 2010-Sep 2019 MSA Job Growth:
+1,342,700 New York +15.65%
+956,000 Los Angeles +18.13%
+881,100 Dallas +30.02%
+597,900 Houston +23.22%
+581,900 San Francisco +30.15%
+578,400 Atlanta +25.44%
+551,600 Chicago +13.22%
+548,000 Miami +25.12%
+492,100 Phoenix +29.26%
+449,200 Seattle +26.80%
+397,800 Riverside +34.89%
+376,900 Boston +15.48%
+354,200 Washington DC +11.86%

Crawford Oct 25, 2019 1:06 AM

No huge surprises, I don't think.

Pittsburgh is the worst performer, when it's the consensus Rust Belt comeback metro. Detroit has the best Rust Belt performance, when it's the consensus most troubled major metro.

Dallas has amazing growth for a metro of its size, and considering it isn't a tech hub.

KB0679 Oct 25, 2019 1:24 AM

Atlanta's economy has definitely come roaring back.

Raleigh does very well by itself without Durham.

I don't see Louisville on this list.

jtown,man Oct 25, 2019 1:50 AM

Thanks for the list.

Chicago is kind of surprising. The metro is barely growing, yet it has decent job growth.

Ant131531 Oct 25, 2019 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8728619)

Pittsburgh is the worst performer, when it's the consensus Rust Belt comeback metro. Detroit has the best Rust Belt performance, when it's the consensus most troubled major metro.

Dallas has amazing growth for a metro of its size, and considering it isn't a tech hub.

Dallas is like a modern day early 1900s Chicago. Diverse economy, in a region of rapid growth(Texas), central location. It's Tech growth in absolute numbers is probably up there with the Seattles and Austins of the nation.

dimondpark Oct 25, 2019 3:15 AM

Quote:

Dallas is the 4th largest MSA, has a booming population, relatively cheap housing costs, is very 'business friendly', throws out all sorts of subsidies, part of a state that actively courts out-of-state companies to relocate there.

I am more amazed at the uber expensive, super high tax, red-tape laden, NIMBY infested SF metro actually growing on par with Dallas. LOL

LA21st Oct 25, 2019 3:26 AM

So the LA csa added as much as ny.
Not bad.

goat314 Oct 25, 2019 3:38 AM

Quote:

Pittsburgh is boosted more on these boards than real life. My ex-wife is from Pittsburgh and when she would visit St. Louis with me she always said that "St. Louis reminds me of Pittsburgh, but better". This is St. Louis we are talking about, the murder capital of America and a highly troubled city. I think much of Pittsburgh's praise comes from it being the whitest major Rust Belt city and having a relatively low crime rate. I like Pittsburgh a lot and it has done a lot in real life to clean up it's image, but many would be surprised at how much of the Pittsburgh metro is in really bad condition.

dimondpark Oct 25, 2019 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 8728748)
So the LA csa added as much as ny.
Not bad.

Pretty much.

[u]CSA Job Growth, Sep 2010-Sep 2019
+1,387,800 LOS ANGELES +20.75%
+1,051,500 SAN FRANCISCO +28.81%
+   887,800 DALLAS +29.82%

SFBruin Oct 25, 2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8728663)
Chicago is kind of surprising. The metro is barely growing, yet it has decent job growth.

This surprised me as well.

Although the metro area is so large that even a small percentage growth probably results in a large absolute growth.

jtown,man Oct 25, 2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFBruin (Post 8728910)
This surprised me as well.

Although the metro area is so large that even a small percentage growth probably results in a good absolute growth.

True. That's why I was probably not blown away or anything, but I think its still interesting nevertheless.

It's job growth is a lot higher than its population growth.

SFBruin Oct 25, 2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8728913)
It's job growth is a lot higher than its population growth.

Got it. That DOES surprise me. :D

Tuckerman Oct 25, 2019 1:43 PM

Job growth also reflects the decline in unemployment over this period. so it may not be tied just to population growth which is a different contributor.

pj3000 Oct 25, 2019 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goat314 (Post 8728756)
Pittsburgh is boosted more on these boards than real life. My ex-wife is from Pittsburgh and when she would visit St. Louis with me she always said that "St. Louis reminds me of Pittsburgh, but better". This is St. Louis we are talking about, the murder capital of America and a highly troubled city. I think much of Pittsburgh's praise comes from it being the whitest major Rust Belt city and having a relatively low crime rate. I like Pittsburgh a lot and it has done a lot in real life to clean up it's image, but many would be surprised at how much of the Pittsburgh metro is in really bad condition.

It's definitely boosted on here, but anyone who visits Pittsburgh generally comes away pretty impressed (even 20+ years ago when there wasn't nearly as much going on in the city).

I'm not sure what "being the whitest major Rust Belt city" would have to do with it, and I'd rather not go there.

I think when people visit and they experience the dramatic topography (which offers constantly changing views of the city), impressive infrastructure and architecture, and numerous unique and historic neighborhoods set in the hills and on the rivers, they come away with a really positive experience. It's a very unique city in the US. It doesn't really look like anywhere else, and the experience on the ground isn't much like anywhere else because of the fact that it's a major city built where no major city should be built.

But there's no doubt that there exists A LOT of grit. Pittsburgh makes no excuses for that, and totally owns it. Basically saying, "Well, if you produced most of the nation's metal for a century and won two world wars and literally built the country, you'd look like this too". There are plenty of city neighborhoods and outlying steel towns in bad shape, though overall it's gotten A LOT better (at least in the city proper and close-in urban neighborhoods).

Obadno Oct 25, 2019 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimondpark (Post 8728613)
From bls.gov

Sep 2010-Sep 2019 MSA Job Growth:

+881,100 Dallas +30.02%

+581,900 San Francisco +30.15%

+492,100 Phoenix +29.26%

Increases in employment by nearly 1/3 over 10 years for large cities is impressive. Especially Dallas, 900,000 !

Also everyone note how weighted the growth is to the 14'-19' period vs the first half of the decade. The depression *caugh* I mean "recession" really was a doozy

Crawford Oct 25, 2019 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckerman (Post 8728972)
Job growth also reflects the decline in unemployment over this period. so it may not be tied just to population growth which is a different contributor.

Right. A lot of the job growth is a reflection of "how bad were the job losses in the previous five years".

For example, DC has minimal growth, and Phoenix and IE had crazy growth. But that's largely a reflection of the fact that DC never really went into recession, and Phoenix and IE had horrible downturns. Both have economies tied to housing construction, which cratered during the recession.

The (relatively) good Detroit numbers are a reflection of the previous regional depression, so any return to normalcy will show healthy growth. If Detroit never cratered, its numbers would be worse, probably in line with Cleveland, Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

The numbers for Seattle are particularly impressive (though not surprising) because Seattle didn't previously crater. Obviously tech-oriented metros are largely responsible for this latest expansion. Though when there's a downturn, I bet Seattle will temporarily have worse-than-average growth, simply because it's going all-cylinders now, so normalcy will look bad.

urban_encounter Oct 25, 2019 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8729023)
It's definitely boosted on here, but anyone who visits Pittsburgh generally comes away pretty impressed (even 20+ years ago when there wasn't nearly as much going on in the city).

I'm not sure what "being the whitest major Rust Belt city" would have to do with it, and I'd rather not go there.

I think when people visit and they experience the dramatic topography (which offers constantly changing views of the city), impressive infrastructure and architecture, and numerous unique and historic neighborhoods set in the hills and on the rivers, they come away with a really positive experience. It's a very unique city in the US. It doesn't really look like anywhere else, and the experience on the ground isn't much like anywhere else because of the fact that it's a major city built where no major city should be built.

Agree 100%. It’s a beautiful city and landscape.

Obadno Oct 25, 2019 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8729117)
Right. A lot of the job growth is a reflection of "how bad were the job losses in the previous five years".

For example, DC has minimal growth, and Phoenix and IE had crazy growth. But that's largely a reflection of the fact that DC never really went into recession, and Phoenix and IE had horrible downturns. Both have economies tied to housing construction, which cratered during the recession.

The (relatively) good Detroit numbers are a reflection of the previous regional depression, so any return to normalcy will show healthy growth. If Detroit never cratered, its numbers would be worse, probably in line with Cleveland, Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

The numbers for Seattle are particularly impressive (though not surprising) because Seattle didn't previously crater. Obviously tech-oriented metros are largely responsible for this latest expansion. Though when there's a downturn, I bet Seattle will temporarily have worse-than-average growth, simply because it's going all-cylinders now, so normalcy will look bad.

Employment recovery for most of the country including the IE and Phoenix hit pre recession levels years before our current boom

the 5 year growth numbers are not reflective of recovery but of new growth for the most part.

DC is stable because it is tied to a generally reality proof industry AKA the USA federal government.

Tuckerman Oct 25, 2019 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8729194)
Employment recovery for most of the country including the IE and Phoenix hit pre recession levels years before our current boom

the 5 year growth numbers are not reflective of recovery but of new growth for the most part.

DC is stable because it is tied to a generally reality proof industry AKA the USA federal government.

Well, this is more complicated. Each metro area has a slighty different story with regard to unemployment and job growth over time. Looking at time trends with multiple variables is alway complex and single explanations rarely apply. E.g. in the Atlanta metro the unemployment rate has gone down steadily from 10.5% in 2009 to 2.9% at present. Its high overall job growth is probably partly accounted for by this factor. But other factors such as strong general and even-based population growth from migration foreign and domestic, as well as business relocations to the area have contributed to the picture.

As a sun-belt city it shares many of the characteristics of the current growth patterns in Texas. There are many indications that these particular patterns are still quite active and may be so for some time to come. Nonetheless. historically we have seen patterns of city growth that reflect several key demographic factors in the US and other industrial countries. That history almost always shows that at some point in time the extraordinary growth pattern slows and/or stops and the cities affected reach a stage of population stability. The "raw" and the "cooked" if you will.

JManc Oct 25, 2019 5:13 PM

Houston is definitely slowing down. Even without seeing the stats, you can just see it around town and if you're in market for new job. When I was looking a couple of years ago, got far more bites in Bay Area at least in my line of work.

Obadno Oct 25, 2019 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckerman (Post 8729242)
Well, this is more complicated. Each metro area has a slighty different story with regard to unemployment and job growth over time. Looking at time trends with multiple variables is alway complex and single explanations rarely apply. E.g. in the Atlanta metro the unemployment rate has gone down steadily from 10.5% in 2009 to 2.9% at present. Its high overall job growth is probably partly accounted for by this factor. But other factors such as strong general and even-based population growth from migration foreign and domestic, as well as business relocations to the area have contributed to the picture.

As a sun-belt city it shares many of the characteristics of the current growth patterns in Texas. There are many indications that these particular patterns are still quite active and may be so for some time to come. Nonetheless. historically we have seen patterns of city growth that reflect several key demographic factors in the US and other industrial countries. That history almost always shows that at some point in time the extraordinary growth pattern slows and/or stops and the cities affected reach a stage of population stability. The "raw" and the "cooked" if you will.

I think the Major Sun belt cities have several more decades to go before reaching a stable point like NYC

Figuring out where each city is going to max is really more or less impossible to say unless you are an expert on a wide range of subjects and a very good guesser to boot. And of course the calculus behind why people are moving to places and not change all the time because of technology, economics and culture.

Assuming nothing extreme changes, and of course the ebb and flow of recessions and growth periods I think you'll see what I consider Phase 1 sunbelt growth mature and level off in Florida, Houston/Dallas , California in the next couple of decades. Certainly by 2050.

Phase 2 sunbelt, your Arizona's, Nevada's, Austin, Denver North Carolina, Tennessee etc, will level off a decade or two later.

At that point I expect rapid growth rent-seeking to be pushed into the inter- mountain west. Idaho, Montana, Utah, Dakota's, Nebraska, maybe even Anchorage

This will be the last part of the country to develop for a number of reasons mostly its the farthest from the ocean and other transportation hubs and is a difficult place to live without modern technology and capitol That will take us well into next century.

Obviously other cities might suddenly explode or regions might find themselves the hub of some new yet unknown industry that may change that flow but I think generally that is what we will see happen.

Now where will the USA level off population wise? Overall I think somewhere around 500-600 million.

But once again that is assuming we dont have some major cultural change that once again promotes high levels of childbirth. Or maybe some new revolutionary technologies or public programs will change the affordability of raising a kid immensely thus leading to a baby boom.

Who knows.

Tuckerman Oct 26, 2019 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8729274)
I think the Major Sun belt cities have several more decades to go before reaching a stable point like NYC

Figuring out where each city is going to max is really more or less impossible to say unless you are an expert on a wide range of subjects and a very good guesser to boot. And of course the calculus behind why people are moving to places and not change all the time because of technology, economics and culture.

Assuming nothing extreme changes, and of course the ebb and flow of recessions and growth periods I think you'll see what I consider Phase 1 sunbelt growth mature and level off in Florida, Houston/Dallas , California in the next couple of decades. Certainly by 2050.

Phase 2 sunbelt, your Arizona's, Nevada's, Austin, Denver North Carolina, Tennessee etc, will level off a decade or two later.

At that point I expect rapid growth rent-seeking to be pushed into the inter- mountain west. Idaho, Montana, Utah, Dakota's, Nebraska, maybe even Anchorage

This will be the last part of the country to develop for a number of reasons mostly its the farthest from the ocean and other transportation hubs and is a difficult place to live without modern technology and capitol That will take us well into next century.

Obviously other cities might suddenly explode or regions might find themselves the hub of some new yet unknown industry that may change that flow but I think generally that is what we will see happen.

Now where will the USA level off population wise? Overall I think somewhere around 500-600 million.

But once again that is assuming we dont have some major cultural change that once again promotes high levels of childbirth. Or maybe some new revolutionary technologies or public programs will change the affordability of raising a kid immensely thus leading to a baby boom.

Who knows.

Good points and we will see what happens. I personally think that climate change and rising sea levels will play a critical role in the future growth of American cities. In which case, those that are far inland or at altitutde, eg. Dallas, Atlanta will have an advantage.

Obadno Oct 26, 2019 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckerman (Post 8729742)
Good points and we will see what happens. I personally think that climate change and rising sea levels will play a critical role in the future growth of American cities. In which case, those that are far inland or at altitutde, eg. Dallas, Atlanta will have an advantage.

The worst actual predictions are more than manageable with sea walls and air conditioning.

Nobody reputable has ever predicted that climate change will make coasts uninhabitable or end every coastal city. When you see those stories its usually nonsense or extreme editorial exaggeration to grab clicks.

DCReid Oct 26, 2019 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8729268)
Houston is definitely slowing down. Even without seeing the stats, you can just see it around town and if you're in market for new job. When I was looking a couple of years ago, got far more bites in Bay Area at least in my line of work.

Houston is still about 30-40% dependent on oil. That's why the first 5 years growth is much higher than the last 5 years (prices peaked around 2014 and have been down 50%). Faster growing cities have a high tech component - even NY.

Changing the subject a little to another city, why has Pittsburgh been such a laggard?

JManc Oct 26, 2019 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCReid (Post 8729772)
Houston is still about 30-40% dependent on oil. That's why the first 5 years growth is much higher than the last 5 years (prices peaked around 2014 and have been down 50%). Faster growing cities have a high tech component - even NY.

Changing the subject a little to another city, why has Pittsburgh been such a laggard?

About 30% down from about 50-60-% over the past 20-30 or so years which is why we weathered recent downturn in energy sector much better than the mid 80's. Still, it accounts for much of the wealth and high paying jobs so either way, it has a massive trickle down effect across the region. Our tech sector is pitifully small considering we are a leading medical/ research hub. They are working on that but Austin and Dallas are so far ahead of us at this point.

I think Pittsburgh is still transitioning from a largely blue collar town to a high tech/ knowledge economy. Which weeds out a lot of people in the work force. If you have a degree, you're probably good to go but no degree, you're probably exploring your options somewhere else. Like Texas..

Tuckerman Oct 26, 2019 1:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8729757)
The worst actual predictions are more than manageable with sea walls and air conditioning.

Nobody reputable has ever predicted that climate change will make coasts uninhabitable or end every coastal city. When you see those stories its usually nonsense or extreme editorial exaggeration to grab clicks.

Please believe whatever versions you want on climate change. There are many, from dire to no problem. I would not argue that the coasts would be uninhabitable. However, many coastal cities will be impacted at some point. Solutions such as sea walls are complex, costly and take careful planning - all areas that federal, state, and local governments will have to contend with. Good luck with that.

CVG Oct 26, 2019 3:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB0679 (Post 8728642)
I don't see Louisville on this list.

Not completely confident on my 2014 number because of the source I had to use, but I have Louisville at +55,000 and 8.8% which feels right for the area.

GreaterMontréal Nov 1, 2019 2:18 PM

Montréal is having a pretty good run lately.

https://www.montrealinternational.co...-job-creation/

dimondpark Nov 6, 2019 3:16 AM

50 States and DC, Job Growth Sep 2010-Sep 2019: California +3,263,000 +22.85%
Texas +2,464,300 +23.70%
Florida +1,883,200 +26.26%
New York +1,259,400 +14.74%
Georgia +771,800 +19.97%
North Carolina +709,300 +18.38%
Washington +674,600 +23.81%
Colorado +569,500 +25.65%
Arizona +569,100 +23.98%
Illinois +568,900 +10.12%
Michigan +568,700 +14.67%
Ohio +549,400 +10.89%
Tennessee +503,300 +19.20%
Massachussetts +461,700 +14.33%
Pennsylvania +412,400 +7.32%
Utah +389,200 +32.87%
Virginia +372,700 +10.20%
New Jersey+372,000 +9.72%
Indiana +370,900 +13.25%
South Carolina +364,800 +20.10%
Oregon +342,300 +21.37%
Minnesota +329,100 +12.49%
Nevada +327,800 +29.46%
Missouri +255,300 +9.57%
Wisconsin +255,300 +9.36%
Maryland +240,800 +9.57%
Alabama +203,500 +10.78%
Kentucky +196,400 +11.13%
Idaho +160,500 +26.65%
Oklahoma +141,800 +9.12%
Iowa +130,200 +8.88%
Arkansas +115,200 +9.89%
Kansas +110,200 +8.29%
Louisiana +104,100 +5.51%
District of Columbia +86,600 +12.12%
Nebraska +85,900 +9.07%
Connecticut +82,300 +5.08%
Mississippi +77,400 +7.08%
Hawaii +77,100 +13.15%
New Hampshire +66,500 +10.67%
New Mexico +65,100 +8.16%
North Dakota +58,100 +15.38%
Montana +55,000 +12.85%
Delaware +51,900 +12.44%
Rhode Island +45,100 +9.83%
South Dakota +43,800 +10.83%
Maine +39,000 +6.57%
Vermont +19,300 +6.46%
West Virginia +16,100 +2.24%
Alaska +4,200 +1.28%
Wyoming +2,600 +0.90%

xzmattzx Nov 6, 2019 5:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goat314 (Post 8728756)

Maybe the key is the Pittsburgh metro. Pittsburgh itself is doing fine, and maybe immediate municipalities are too, but the Monongahela Valley is bombed out and decaying. Even places that aren't decaying and are pretty pleasant, like Butler, still seem like they are stuck-in-time backwaters. That's where there's no growth, or even shrinkage.

LA21st Nov 6, 2019 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimondpark (Post 8740233)
Texas +2,464,300 +23.70%
Georgia +771,800 +19.97%
Arizona +569,100 +23.98%
Ohio +549,400 +10.89%
Utah +389,200 +32.87%
Indiana +370,900 +13.25%
Oregon +342,300 +21.37%
Nevada +327,800 +29.46%
Missouri +255,300 +9.57%
Maryland +240,800 +9.57%
Alabama +203,500 +10.78%
Idaho +160,500 +26.65%
Oklahoma +141,800 +9.12%
Iowa +130,200 +8.88%
Arkansas +115,200 +9.89%
Kansas +110,200 +8.29%
Nebraska +85,900 +9.07%
Hawaii +77,100 +13.15%
Montana +55,000 +12.85%
Delaware +51,900 +12.44%
Maine +39,000 +6.57%
Vermont +19,300 +6.46%
Alaska +4,200 +1.28%
Wyoming +2,600 +0.90%

But I was told California was dying and the economy was in the crapper. :shrug::shrug:
New York too.

Huh.

prokowave Nov 6, 2019 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xzmattzx (Post 8740323)
Maybe the key is the Pittsburgh metro. Pittsburgh itself is doing fine, and maybe immediate municipalities are too, but the Monongahela Valley is bombed out and decaying. Even places that aren't decaying and are pretty pleasant, like Butler, still seem like they are stuck-in-time backwaters. That's where there's no growth, or even shrinkage.

People are forgetting that PIT has also grown into an oil and gas town with the shale boom, so the collapse of oil prices probably had an outsized effect compared to similar cities. Cities like Tulsa, OKC, and New Orleans also lagged during that time frame.

Obadno Nov 6, 2019 4:40 PM

Quote:

Texas +2,464,300 +23.70%
Georgia +771,800 +19.97%
Arizona +569,100 +23.98%
Ohio +549,400 +10.89%
Utah +389,200 +32.87%
Indiana +370,900 +13.25%
Oregon +342,300 +21.37%
Nevada +327,800 +29.46%
Missouri +255,300 +9.57%
Maryland +240,800 +9.57%
Alabama +203,500 +10.78%
Idaho +160,500 +26.65%
Oklahoma +141,800 +9.12%
Iowa +130,200 +8.88%
Arkansas +115,200 +9.89%
Kansas +110,200 +8.29%
Nebraska +85,900 +9.07%
Hawaii +77,100 +13.15%
Montana +55,000 +12.85%
Delaware +51,900 +12.44%
Maine +39,000 +6.57%
Vermont +19,300 +6.46%
Alaska +4,200 +1.28%
Wyoming +2,600 +0.90%

These not being in alphabetical is triggering me, I guess they are in population order.

Obadno Nov 6, 2019 4:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 8740639)
But I was told California was dying and the economy was in the crapper. :shrug::shrug:
New York too.

Huh.

Your single point of data analysis is truly revolutionary.

LA21st Nov 6, 2019 4:48 PM

I wonder what the response would be if California added only 5-10%.
But facts are facts.

For all the talk about Texas's business friendly jibber jabber, it didn't even gain 1 more percent of job growth than California in 9 years.
I'd figured there would be some kind of landslide, according to certain "facts".

NOPE.

dimondpark Nov 6, 2019 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 8740639)

Yeah LA-OC-IE and the Bay Area have really delivered jobs this decade.

2010-2019 Job Growth
+1,387,800 LOS ANGELES CSA +20.75%
+1,051,500 SAN FRANCISCO CSA +28.81%

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno
These not being in alphabetical is triggering me, I guess they are in population order.

It's ranked by the number of jobs created.

LA21st Nov 6, 2019 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimondpark (Post 8740706)
Yeah LA-OC-IE and the Bay Area have really delivered jobs this decade.

2010-2019 Job Growth
+1,387,800 LOS ANGELES CSA +20.75%
+1,051,500 SAN FRANCISCO CSA +28.81%

It's ranked by the number of jobs created.

Ugh. More facts.

Yuri Nov 6, 2019 4:57 PM

Quote:

Texas +2,464,300 +23.70%
(...)

Dimond, could you do the same for CSAs above 1 million or so?

dimondpark Nov 6, 2019 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriandrade (Post 8740715)
Dimond, could you do the same for CSAs above 1 million or so?

When I have time...😀