SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

cityboy Feb 17, 2017 7:55 PM

"Metalsmiths is staying where they are. They had signs up that they were closing for renovations. Not sure how they afford to stay in a space but that seems to be what is happening. Could be the same for Aldo Accessories but wouldn't be surprised to see them gone."

It's interesting because they are still listed on 20 Vic's floorplan in the same spot, yet their website has been updated to show the concept store opening in Grasslands in Summer 2017 and no mention of their Cornwall store...

Dan0myte Feb 17, 2017 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7715744)
I guess they renewed their lease. That means no Cineplex at Grasslands.

That seemed to be apparent once Harvard starting building the multi-lease space on the lot beside London Drugs. In the original plans I think we had determined that the outline of the proposed was very much a "theater" shape & size. This new building that's being built instead is your run of the mill commercial space.

Speaking of which, is it known what businesses will be leasing inside that new Grasslands building?

SpongeG Feb 17, 2017 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7715750)
Based on the floorplans, they clearly will have second floor access and why wouldn't you want that in two level mall. There is the small issue of the heritage façade inside the mall.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...e/smitty-s.jpg

easier to control access for security. they usually have one big checkout close to the entrance/exit, too many entrance points means they need more cashier space thus eliminating space for product.

cityboy Feb 17, 2017 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan0myte (Post 7715854)
That seemed to be apparent once Harvard starting building the multi-lease space on the lot beside London Drugs. In the original plans I think we had determined that the outline of the proposed was very much a "theater" shape & size. This new building that's being built instead is your run of the mill commercial space.

Speaking of which, is it known what businesses will be leasing inside that new Grasslands building?

Winners/Homesense

Drofmab Feb 18, 2017 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldog14 (Post 7715517)
Metalsmiths is staying where they are. They had signs up that they were closing for renovations. Not sure how they afford to stay in a space but that seems to be what is happening.

Do you have a source for this info? I'm in the mall virtually every day, and I never once saw a sign up saying that they were closing for renovations. As noted previously, the Cornwall location is no longer listed on Metalsmiths' website, only the new Grasslands concept store (opening summer 2017).

Quote:

Papyrus is closing according to workers in the store, The Source will be moving back upstairs into that spot.
The Source's current space looks far from temporary, IMO. You could be right - but I'd say they put more money into a temporary space than makes reasonable business sense (maybe Bell's having trouble figuring out what to do with their profits). Or maybe it's part of a longer term strategy for Cornwall - shift Source down to that space until H&M is open in 2018, then shift the Source up to the Papryus space. Seems odd to me, though.

Drofmab Feb 18, 2017 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityboy (Post 7715774)
If they renovate their concessions, as well as update their theatres I am actually ok with this. It's not much difference for southwest residents to travel from Harbour Landing to Southland and if they lost the Cineplex, it would spell bad news for the mall. I'd really like to see things continue to improve there.

I'd sent an email to Cineplex a few months ago basically expressing that this theatre needed major work, or replacement. I highlighted the fact that I drive across town to Normanview, rather than going to the theatre that is walkable (why would I go for an inferior experience when the tickets are the same price?). They'd really stopped improving Southland after adding 3D.

Renovating these theatres & adding recliners is a step in the right direction. If we can't get a brand new theatre, this is a good compromise.

Too bad a VIP theatre doesn't make sense there, but perhaps we'll see an AVX and/or DBOX tossed in for good measure ;)

EDIT: movies at Southland are actually a bit cheaper ($10 vs $12.50), didn't realize that.

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 18, 2017 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 7715867)
easier to control access for security. they usually have one big checkout close to the entrance/exit, too many entrance points means they need more cashier space thus eliminating space for product.

I actually have never seen a cash station of an H&M by the entrance. The cash is always further in. More so the issue is just having security at each entrance.

Nathan Feb 19, 2017 2:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7716854)
I actually have never seen a cash station of an H&M by the entrance. The cash is always further in. More so the issue is just having security at each entrance.

I was thinking the same thing. It's always been in the middle or at the back.

Udon'tknow Feb 19, 2017 4:51 AM

El Tropezon

There's hope yet for a Mexican restaurant opening in the Queen City.

Flores and his wife, who he credits with pushing him to make the first step in realizing his long-term goal of opening a restaurant in Regina, began serving out of his food truck a month ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rant-1.3978614

bulldog14 Feb 19, 2017 9:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7716647)
Do you have a source for this info? I'm in the mall virtually every day, and I never once saw a sign up saying that they were closing for renovations. As noted previously, the Cornwall location is no longer listed on Metalsmiths' website, only the new Grasslands concept store (opening summer 2017).

The Source's current space looks far from temporary, IMO. You could be right - but I'd say they put more money into a temporary space than makes reasonable business sense (maybe Bell's having trouble figuring out what to do with their profits). Or maybe it's part of a longer term strategy for Cornwall - shift Source down to that space until H&M is open in 2018, then shift the Source up to the Papryus space. Seems odd to me, though.

Do my own eyes count as a source? I read the signs that were printed on 8 1/2 by 11 sheets of paper. Also the floor plan shows them still in that space with the other changes like MAC cosmetics and The Source in the Papyrus spot. I have no idea why it would have been removed from the Metalsmiths website though.

In regards to The Source, I agree it seems their new space is more than temporary but it's also a much larger store. Larger store = higher rent/lease payment. I'm guessing Cornwall offered for them to move there for the same price as their old store and then they will move back to a similar space when Papyrus vacated and renos are completed.

BrannyMuffin Feb 19, 2017 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldog14 (Post 7717144)
Do my own eyes count as a source? I read the signs that were printed on 8 1/2 by 11 sheets of paper. Also the floor plan shows them still in that space with the other changes like MAC cosmetics and The Source in the Papyrus spot. I have no idea why it would have been removed from the Metalsmiths website though.

In regards to The Source, I agree it seems their new space is more than temporary but it's also a much larger store. Larger store = higher rent/lease payment. I'm guessing Cornwall offered for them to move there for the same price as their old store and then they will move back to a similar space when Papyrus vacated and renos are completed.

I'm only going by what I've heard, so you could be right. Having said that, the map isn't completely accurate. Aldo Accessories is closed, but still listed, for example. The other thing that makes me inclined to believe that Metalsmiths is closing is that the mall has stated that Saje Wellness would be opening next to Sephora. That only leaves Metalsmiths or Bench as a location.

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 20, 2017 3:40 AM

Does anyone know if Southland Mall, Cornwall Centre or Northgate mall were built to allow for another floor?

Also does anyone have any updated pictures of the Golden Mile renovation progress, the south Albert Street coop/A&W redevelopment, as well as what is going on across the street from the Golden Mile on the former gas station land?

Drofmab Feb 21, 2017 4:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7715569)

Cineplex didn't waste any time on this - was at a movie on Saturday... they already have signs announcing the renos up; walls are being patched (presume this means a fresh coat of paint); and 2 theatres are closed for renovations.

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 21, 2017 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7719065)
Cineplex didn't waste any time on this - was at a movie on Saturday... they already have signs announcing the renos up; walls are being patched (presume this means a fresh coat of paint); and 2 theatres are closed for renovations.

I am very happy about this. And I hope some new paint as well!

pappcam Feb 26, 2017 10:57 PM

Someone is actually taking over the HMV stores.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3274299/hm.../?sf58831902=1

Stormer Feb 27, 2017 4:13 AM

Planet Fitness is taking over the former Wholesale Sports location. WTF

BrutallyDishonest2 Feb 27, 2017 4:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7724753)
Planet Fitness is taking over the former Wholesale Sports location. WTF

That was discussed a while back.

Everyone wants to get in on the party! And just wait until other brands get back in on the action!

HomeInMyShoes Feb 27, 2017 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 7724467)
Someone is actually taking over the HMV stores.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3274299/hm.../?sf58831902=1

Wow. I'm happy about that. I still love browsing music even if I don't purchase as much anymore. Although that's probably a retail disaster waiting to happen.

Brizzy82 Feb 27, 2017 7:50 PM

Interesting. I wonder which HMVs will make the switch.

There was a Sunrise Records in Polo Park here in Winnipeg for the 2015 Christmas season. It didn't feel very permanent, and it only lasted about 3-6 months if I recall correctly, so it must have been a pop up shop or something.

They had a lot of neat stuff. Lots of vinyl, and a bigger selection of shirts/glasses/pins etc than you find at HMV.

Nathan Feb 27, 2017 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brizzy82 (Post 7725410)
Interesting. I wonder which HMVs will make the switch.

There was a Sunrise Records in Polo Park here in Winnipeg for the 2015 Christmas season. It didn't feel very permanent, and it only lasted about 3-6 months if I recall correctly, so it must have been a pop up shop or something.

They had a lot of neat stuff. Lots of vinyl, and a bigger selection of shirts/glasses/pins etc than you find at HMV.

I'd guess they'd be more likely to keep the downtown Stoon and Regina locations. They're the stronger malls with more regular foot traffic and some stores with destination pull. I haven't been to the Lawson in a while, but Southland's struggling a little.