SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   NEW YORK | Hudson Yards; 40 msf of development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123575)

Rail>Auto Dec 27, 2009 5:10 AM

I can't find the thread that had pictures of all 5 of the bids. Is that still on this site?

I've been mixed up about where everything is going. I'm glad to see Brookfield still plans to build their 2 buildings that bend against each other. Looks like only the two buildings with an air bridge connector is the only part they had that I will miss.

As for the JETS, I hope they still make plans to come to Manhattan 10-15 years from now.

NYguy Dec 28, 2009 1:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail>Auto (Post 4624023)
As for the JETS, I hope they still make plans to come to Manhattan 10-15 years from now.

Did you bother to read anything at all?

Rail>Auto Dec 30, 2009 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 4625267)
Did you bother to read anything at all?

Huh?

Yes the Jets signed on to the new meadowlands stadium but there is an opt out clause for it, I just can't remember how many years it is. I'm hoping it's 10-15 which would be a good time to refresh the iniative to return to NY.

NYguy Dec 30, 2009 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail>Auto (Post 4624023)
As for the JETS, I hope they still make plans to come to Manhattan 10-15 years from now.

The two posts directly before your remarks reported the city's final rezoning of the railyards. Now I don't know where exactly in Manhattan you expect the JETS to return to, but just throw that notion out of your head.

QuarterMileSidewalk Dec 31, 2009 5:12 AM

Rail>Auto, to clarify: you meant that you're hoping for some other Manhattan site to come into play in that timeframe?

Rail>Auto Dec 31, 2009 5:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk (Post 4629261)
Rail>Auto, to clarify: you meant that you're hoping for some other Manhattan site to come into play in that timeframe?

Correct... I gave up on the railyards years ago... Surely there is something in Manhattan available down the road... It would have been nice to use this site as a dual stadium/hydroelectric dam but I'm sure there will be other sites that will have great features too.

NYguy Dec 31, 2009 7:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail>Auto (Post 4629267)
Correct... I gave up on the railyards years ago... Surely there is something in Manhattan available down the road...

Let's explore this fantasy of yours for the moment. Where exactly would a site become available down the road in Manhattan? This, I really wanna know.

Dac150 Dec 31, 2009 4:41 PM

^^^ Central Park.;)

NYC4Life Dec 31, 2009 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac150 (Post 4629760)
^^^ Central Park.;)

LOL.....The current recession will certainly not allow that to happen in our generation.

Leo-Roy Jan 2, 2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac150 (Post 4629760)
^^^ Central Park.;)

I may not be right here, but isn't the entire purpose of Central Park's existence is to GET AWAY from urban development? With the historical significance of the park, there is no WAY the mayor would let that happen.

And I'm pretty sure the residents of the West Side have no CLUE what they're talking about, considering they only listen to the local news stations, who are biased as hell about anything they ever talk about. The railyards aren't HISTORICAL. Whoever thinks that must have no idea what it takes for any structure to even be a piece of history. Just... just give UP.

Dac150 Jan 2, 2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo-Roy (Post 4631238)
I may not be right here, but isn't the entire purpose of Central Park's existence is to GET AWAY from urban development? With the historical significance of the park, there is no WAY the mayor would let that happen.

Hence the fact that I was being sarcastic; I thought that winking smiley was enough to make that clear.

Crawford Jan 2, 2010 2:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail>Auto (Post 4624023)
I can't find the thread that had pictures of all 5 of the bids. Is that still on this site?

I've been mixed up about where everything is going. I'm glad to see Brookfield still plans to build their 2 buildings that bend against each other. Looks like only the two buildings with an air bridge connector is the only part they had that I will miss.

As for the JETS, I hope they still make plans to come to Manhattan 10-15 years from now.

:shrug:

Please first read the thread. There is no Jets stadium in Hudson Yards, and the Brookfield Site isn't even in Hudson Yards.

The Jets are finishing a new stadium in the Meadowlands.

The Brookfield Site is to the immediate east of Hudson Yards, just west of Penn Station.

Rail>Auto Jan 3, 2010 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 4631325)
:shrug:

Please first read the thread. There is no Jets stadium in Hudson Yards, and the Brookfield Site isn't even in Hudson Yards.

The Jets are finishing a new stadium in the Meadowlands.

The Brookfield Site is to the immediate east of Hudson Yards, just west of Penn Station.

Please put your cape away and read the post that you yourself accuse of being the product of not reading this thread.

N.S there is no Jets stadium in the Hudson Yards and they are in the meadowlands. That's why I said 10-15 years bc I wasn't sure when their opt out clause comes in to play (turns out its 15 years).

The fact that the Brookfield buildings are not in the Hudson Yards is specifically why I said that I am glad the only part of Brookfields plan that I like that WON'T get built is that one building with the air bridge.

Rail>Auto Jan 3, 2010 1:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 4629411)
Let's explore this fantasy of yours for the moment. Where exactly would a site become available down the road in Manhattan? This, I really wanna know.

Yea it's a "fantasy." They were one Cablevision protest away from being in Manhattan and they have a clause in the current deal that lets them entertain the idea again in 15 years.

I have no clue what Manhattan will look like that far down the road and any site I list would just be pure speculation. They could build out, build over the Westside highway, demolish current buildings, or look to Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn, etc. If the Jets really want to return to Manhattan or any other part of NYC they will have plenty of opportunities to do so.

ardecila Jan 3, 2010 1:30 AM

If the Jets ever wanted to move into NYC, they'd probably go into the outer boroughs somewhere. It'd be cool if they found a location on Jamaica Bay...

JSsocal Jan 3, 2010 8:33 AM

The only plausible location in Manhattan IMHO would be in any more infilled piers, such as Battery Park City, and unless there is another very large project on the west side, (something in the WTC range), then no developer in hell would want to fork over all the dough to fund such a stadium. Not to mention the NIMBYs...

NYguy Jan 3, 2010 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail>Auto (Post 4632191)
I have no clue what Manhattan will look like that far down the road

Really? You have no clue what Manhattan would look like a decade from now? What, you think the city is suddenly going to be struck by a meteor that will wipe civilization off the island, and the first thing to come to people's mind will be "hey, you know what will bring Manhattan back? A stadium for the JETS!"

The Hudson Yards isn't about "Brooklyn" or "Queens". And the JETS don't have "plenty" of oppurtunities to return to Manhattan. The one chance was over the railyards - where open space, combined with the city and state's plan to tie it into the Javits and an expanded subway system, in a relatively "desolate" part of the island. And even then, the pricetag was too high.

And if you think they are going to demolish buildings and close streets in Manhattan to build a football stadium, then you have got to be the least informed person on the planet.

SkyscrapersOfNewYork Jan 3, 2010 6:12 PM

lower manhattan should expand into soho wherever possible and midtown should demolish and expand upward....or we could like Dubai and build islands and expand manhattan lol

Busy Bee Jan 3, 2010 7:27 PM

Wht about in the Sherman Creek area in upper Manhattan, maybe over the subway yard?

CGII Jan 3, 2010 7:34 PM

There is plenty of room in Manhattan for growth, one just needs to be creative. Don't worry.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.