SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

tovangar2 Jan 17, 2013 11:25 PM

Santa Monica Arch
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 5977578)
Has anyone seen Washington Rock in Chatsworth? I wonder if it's still intact?
__

Here's a rock we'll never see again, but one I'm sure you remember:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA500_.jpg
popscreen.com

Santa Monica Arch, circa 1900

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1750

tovangar2 Jan 17, 2013 11:36 PM

Dyas-Carleton Cafe
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BifRayRock (Post 5977646)

Thx. Great lantern and weathervane.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-I...821%2520PM.jpg

Is that Dyas as in Dyas Specialty Emporium?

malumot Jan 18, 2013 1:15 AM

Cry Danger
 
Recording it now on Turner Classic. Never seen it.

Gotta get my mid-century, noirish LA groove on. LOL LOL LOL.....

:cheers:

malumot Jan 18, 2013 1:29 AM

My great- uncle in Santa Rosa did......he didn't seem to mind. But then he grew up on a farm in Illinois. I remember his saying that when they gravelled the road in front of the farm it constituted a BIG improvement. (That was admittedly about 90 years ago).

Anyway....True, a gas station is undoubtedly better served with hard surfaced concrete, given the amount of wear n' tear.

On the other hand, I still maintain pea gravel would work just fine on more lightly traveled surfaces.

But from what I understand, most city codes prohibit them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 5977503)
Dear malumot... have you ever had a gravel driveway? They're a lot of work to keep neat and expensive to maintain & replenish. And a gas station would get hundreds if not thousands of times more use than a private driveway....


ethereal_reality Jan 18, 2013 1:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malumot (Post 5977827)
Recording it now on Turner Classic. Never seen it.

Gotta get my mid-century, noirish LA groove on. LOL LOL LOL.....

:cheers:

We're on the same wavelength malumot. I'm taking screen shots of it with my nikon as we speak. :)
I know that we've covered the hill-top trailer court but there are so many more interesting Los Angeles locations.

ps. I just saw the grocery/pharmacy with the neon Eastside Beer sign posted earlier by FredH.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10475
__

ethereal_reality Jan 18, 2013 2:20 AM

Tourist slide dated 1969. The year of Angel Flight's demise.

http://imageshack.us/a/img211/6313/a...969flight1.jpg
ebay
__

Engineeral Jan 18, 2013 2:43 AM

Hollywood Canteen
 
I found this picture on a Russian forum for Classic Cinema: http://ru-oldmovie.livejournal.com/, in particular the page at: http://ru-oldmovie.livejournal.com/88658.html.

https://i.ibb.co/FbtRh9m/front-entra...hvu9fnw8-2.jpg

Uploaded with ibb.com

The Hollywood Canteen was at 1451 Cahuenga Boulevard (at or near Sunset). It was open to servicemen and servicewomen from all Allied forces. The entrance ticket was your uniform and everything was free.

Another post about the Hollywood Canteen had a different address - can the tower-like building in the background of the picture help confirm the Cahuenga address?

ethereal_reality Jan 18, 2013 2:55 AM

:previous: Good question. I've often seen conflicting addresses for the Hollywood Canteen.
__



I never thought much about the light well in the Y.W.C.A building at 251-255 Hill Street.

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/9227/aaywcausc.jpg
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2260




That is, until I came across this highly scanned photograph on ebay, simply labeled Y.W.C.A. Los Angeles.

http://imageshack.us/a/img525/1623/a...eriorcourt.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img19/3423/aaywca1a.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img259/229/aa...rcourtyard.jpg

I wasn't sure this grandiose interior space could fit in the Hill Street building.



In the photograph below you can see the top row of arched windows in the light well.
To be honest, the light well still seems much too small.

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/6049/aa...myearlierp.jpg







below: Another view of the Y.W.C.A. on Hill Street. The 3rd Street tunnel is just to the left of the 'vegetarian cafeteria'.
(it appears Angels Flight hasn't been built yet) -I could be wrong...I am unsure of the date of the photograph.

http://imageshack.us/a/img687/4221/a...illstveget.jpg
http://bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.com/

__

Lwize Jan 18, 2013 3:07 AM

http://larry.wizegallery.com/vwv/toys.jpg
me

Screencap from tonight's episode of The Office. This looks awfully familiar.

ethereal_reality Jan 18, 2013 4:01 AM

Silent film star Alma Rubens, 1899-1931.

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/8910/aa...isplatinum.jpg
http://silenceisplatinum.blogspot.com/





http://imageshack.us/a/img571/509/aa...ollywoodhe.jpg
http://hollywoodheyday.blogspot.com/





below: One of her many run-ins with the law.

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/7296/aaalmarubens1929.jpg
ebay


reverse
http://imageshack.us/a/img29/4765/aaalmarubens1929r.jpg








The drugs began to take a toll on poor Alma.

http://imageshack.us/a/img843/3339/a...oodbabylon.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Babylon






Ms. Ruben's obituary in the Los Angeles Times Jan. 22, 1931.

obituary photo
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/5119/aa...esblogfoto.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/907/aaalmalatimesblog1.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img525/7485/a...imesblog1a.jpg
http://projects.latimes.com/hollywoo...k/alma-rubens/





http://imageshack.us/a/img827/1436/a...orahmacdon.jpg
http://devorahmacdonald.blogspot.com/





The house where she passed away.

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/7032/a...deathhouse.jpg
http://michaelgankerich.wordpress.com/




R.I.P. Alma Rubens

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/5830/aaalmacrypt.jpg
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...29&PIpi=103183

__

ethereal_reality Jan 18, 2013 4:15 AM

A log cabin on West Adams Street of all places! Have you heard of this place GW?

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/2797/a...mslogcabin.jpg
ebay
__




I meant to compliment MichaelRyerson earlier on his wonderful post on Francisco Manza's adobe.
Also the Moxley's Dog & Cat Hospital blew me away Godzilla. Those art deco interiors were sublime. I'd love to see the interior now.

__

revheavyg Jan 18, 2013 8:00 AM

Broadway Tunnel
 
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/...ps06628717.jpgPhoto-waterandpower.org
circa 1925 View of the south portal of the Broadway Tunnel, near Broadway and Temple Street. The ‘5 line’ streetcar 1435 can be seen headed southbound on Broadway.
http://waterandpower.org

GaylordWilshire Jan 18, 2013 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 5978050)
A log cabin on West Adams Street of all places! Have you heard of this place GW?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W...2520AM.bmp.jpg
ebay


That's Judge Lamme's house. It was at the northwest corner of Adams & Normandie: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7353

ethereal_reality Jan 18, 2013 3:35 PM

:previous: thx GW.
__




slide-1966.

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/3914/a...latimesetc.jpg
ebay
__

ethereal_reality Jan 18, 2013 4:09 PM

I want to briefly return to the Kipling Hotel area at 3rd & S. Kingsley Dr.

http://imageshack.us/a/img90/7716/aa...telloopnet.jpg
posted earlier




While researching the area for my 'Kipling' post, I noticed a nice size vintage apartment building directly south of the hotel (circled in red)

http://imageshack.us/a/img254/7672/a...gsleyaeria.jpg
google aerial





It turned out to be a rather nice art deco apt. I was ready to leave the area when I noticed the smaller apartment building next door.

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/162/aa...ghborsking.jpg
gvs





The big surprise here is this AMAZING apartment building!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/9501/aab...teric300bl.jpg
gsv






I can't quite decide what architectural style this is.....but I love it. I wish I knew it's history.

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/9501/a...teric300bl.jpg
gsv






One last view looking north along S. Kingsley Dr. towards the Kipling Hotel on 3rd St.

http://imageshack.us/a/img4/2108/aab...ghborsskin.jpg

You never know what little treasures you're going to find in the City of Angels. :)
__

tovangar2 Jan 18, 2013 5:57 PM

Hollywood Athletic Club
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineeral (Post 5977922)
I found this picture on a Russian forum for Classic Cinema: http://ru-oldmovie.livejournal.com/, in particular the page at: http://ru-oldmovie.livejournal.com/88658.html.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4...oftheholly.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Hollywood Canteen was at 1451 Cahuenga Boulevard (at or near Sunset). It was open to servicemen and servicewomen from all Allied forces. The entrance ticket was your uniform and everything was free.

Another post about the Hollywood Canteen had a different address - can the tower-like building in the background of the picture help confirm the Cahuenga address?

That's the Hollywood Athletic Club (Meyer & Holler, 1924) 6525 Sunset Blvd at Schrader:
http://operator13productions.files.w...b-postcard.jpg
operator13productions

tovangar2 Jan 18, 2013 7:22 PM

Question...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by malumot (Post 5977827)
Recording it now on Turner Classic. Never seen it.

Gotta get my mid-century, noirish LA groove on. LOL LOL LOL.....

:cheers:

Can someone remind me, what is the name of the film, starring Humphrey Bogart, where he says to a young woman who is leaving his place, "There's a cab stand over on Santa Monica (Blvd)? She's later found murdered. Thx.

MichaelRyerson Jan 18, 2013 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 5978726)
Can someone remind me, what is the name of the film, starring Humphrey Bogart, where he says to a young woman who is leaving his place, "There's a cab stand over on Santa Monica (Blvd)? She's later found murdered. Thx.

Sounds like In a Lonely Place (1950)

DouglasUrantia Jan 18, 2013 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 5978456)
I want to briefly return to the Kipling Hotel area at 3rd & S. Kingsley Dr.

http://imageshack.us/a/img90/7716/aa...telloopnet.jpg
posted earlier




While researching the area for my 'Kipling' post, I noticed a nice size vintage apartment building directly south of the hotel (circled in red)

http://imageshack.us/a/img254/7672/a...gsleyaeria.jpg
google aerial





It turned out to be a rather nice art deco apt. I was ready to leave the area when I noticed the smaller apartment building next door.

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/162/aa...ghborsking.jpg
gvs





The big surprise here is this AMAZING apartment building!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/9501/aab...teric300bl.jpg
gsv






I can't quite decide what architectural style this is.....but I love it. I wish I knew it's history.

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/9501/a...teric300bl.jpg
gsv






One last view looking north along S. Kingsley Dr. towards the Kipling Hotel on 3rd St.

http://imageshack.us/a/img4/2108/aab...ghborsskin.jpg

You never know what little treasures you're going to find in the City of Angels. :)
__

I would say the style is German Gothic Revival architecture. Here is a link:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...41248874,d.cGE

austlar1 Jan 18, 2013 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasUrantia (Post 5978800)
I would say the style is German Gothic Revival architecture. Here is a link:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...41248874,d.cGE

It is an interesting neighborhood. There are some wonderful and well maintained craftsmen bungalows built around 1905-1912 on Kingsley and parallel streets just north of 3rd St behind the Kipling. I used to own one of them and regret that I did not hang on to it after moving from LA. The ethnic diversity of the neighborhood (at least in the 1980s) was astounding. It may be more uniformly Asian today.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.