SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

Mstimc Nov 25, 2020 11:11 AM

Deleted

Mstimc Nov 25, 2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9115905)
.
Here's an interesting rppc. (real photo postcard)


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/60nObM.jpg
ebay






Let's take a closer look at the photograph on the left.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/9n2TG9.jpg
detail

Note the two workers.

Is that a ghost sign on the building next door?


Speaking as a former Public Works manager, that piece of equipment looks dangerously off-balance, especially in the long boom configuration. I don't see any outrigger stabilizers or counterweights. With a full bucket, I can see it tipping over quite easily. :runaway:

unihikid Nov 25, 2020 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9114915)
.
Thanks for sharing the photographs of your beautiful family, unihikid.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/qoaUXp.jpg
unihikid

I'm curious. .did you ever have a chance to ask your dad what song he is performing for your aunts?


Was the family Collie really named Lassie? . . or are you joshing us. :)


.

ER, i was a very inquisitive kid so i asked the same questions lol. From what i remember him telling me, it was either "All of a Sudden My Heart Sings" or "Joy to the World". When i was eight "The New Adventures of Lassie" came out (or some title like that) and i asked him if we could get a dog like that , and he proudly said "I've had several lassies, just like the Show", then pulled out several pictures of her ....we got a black lab instead (Ricky Ricardo Sheen). So yes the Sheen kids had a few collies named Lassie.

unihikid Nov 25, 2020 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9115764)
.
Isn't anyone else interested why "Uncle tony" got cut out of the photograph?



I've seen people do this in movies or TV shows; characters cutting out people in photographs for one reason or another, but I've never known it to be done in actual practice!

Lol well Aunt Carol who is the baby in the "dad singing" picture was the youngest of the family and had access to these pictures before me. I'm sure it was a paste-on-your-locker-scrap-book type of thing, since my uncle was in the Navy. He never got to see any action, but he did craft his piano skills. Just so he's not cut out from you guys, Uncle Tony is the tall one.

[url=https://postimg.cc/Ff7Y0Dbm]https://i.postimg.cc/KY5tSWRK/082.jpg
im not perfect poem[/IMG]

unihikid Nov 25, 2020 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 9113798)
Couldn't resist finding the house-- 2642 Kenwood, built in 1907. At one time the home of real estate man Roy C. Seeley and in 1948 the home of Dr. Herbert A. Sheen. A few recent GSVs:

Feb 2020
https://i.postimg.cc/CK5gL445/kenwoodnewer-bmp.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/HLkp8mTp/kenwoodnewer2-bmp.jpg


March 2009
https://i.postimg.cc/sDzCZzJt/kenwoodolder-bmp.jpg

GW since you always do your best to describe and or show the interiors of the great homes of LA (i re-read Berkley Square all the time, Dad had vivid memories and would always try to describe it for me), here are a few color shots.

https://i.postimg.cc/6pbFtMgQ/074.jpgiveta vodakova
Aunt Mildred and my cousin Trena in the backroom of Kenwood 1958

https://i.postimg.cc/cCKrk9p8/078.jpg
Granny in the same location around the same time?

https://i.postimg.cc/sxB4PJKT/075.jpg
Granny and Dad (dad did the damage...it was the day he was told he was going to boarding school. St Francis) in Livingroom at Kenwood June 1955

Alright i'm done for now. But thank you again GW!

JimCraig Nov 25, 2020 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unihikid (Post 9116567)
GW since you always do your best to describe and or show the interiors of the great homes of LA (i re-read Berkley Square all the time, Dad had vivid memories and would always try to describe it for me), here are a few color shots.

https://i.postimg.cc/6pbFtMgQ/074.jpgiveta vodakova
Aunt Mildred and my cousin Trena in the backroom of Kenwood 1958

https://i.postimg.cc/cCKrk9p8/078.jpg
Granny in the same location around the same time?

https://i.postimg.cc/sxB4PJKT/075.jpg
Granny and Dad (dad did the damage...it was the day he was told he was going to boarding school. St Francis) in Livingroom at Kenwood June 1955

Alright i'm done for now. But thank you again GW!

Don't stop - love your photos! You are very lucky to have them and we appreciate your sharing!

odinthor Nov 25, 2020 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9113629)
Was she also Mrs. Olson, the Folger's coffee lady? And was she the housekeeper in the house atop Mt. Rushmore, who pulls a gun on Thornhill (Cary Grant) in NBNW?

The Folger's lady was Virginia Christine (who was Mrs. Fritz Feld).

The North By Northwest lady was Nora Marlowe (who was married to James McCallion, an unfamiliar name, but he also was on numerous TV series episodes).

It's interesting to look over the many single-episode credits these actresses had in TV series of the 1950-1970s! Westerns, Sci-Fi, Comedy, etc. etc. I began to list them to include here, but there are so very very many...

Martin Pal Nov 25, 2020 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimCraig (Post 9116596)
Don't stop - love your photos! You are very lucky to have them and we appreciate your sharing!
_________________________________________________________________



I agree, JimCraig!

Thank you unihikid and for the added Lassie and "Uncle Tony" info! :cheers:

unihikid Nov 25, 2020 7:58 PM

Granny
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9116667)
I agree, JimCraig!

Thank you unihikid and for the added Lassie and "Uncle Tony" info! :cheers:

Thanks Martin and Jim. I was lucky enough to know all the folks in the pictures except my grandfather. He was first married to Zora Neal Hurston who he went to Howard University with. Granny was a rebound and the marriage wasn't a happy one(divorced in 1955). The kids we're spoiled to say the least and Granny had to work overtime at Bullocks DT just in case the kids brought over someone for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. Here are some around the house pics.

https://i.postimg.cc/sxB4PJKT/075.jpg
Aunt Carol, Aunt Eugenia, Granny getting ready for a party in yard.

https://i.postimg.cc/3JpLx6FL/054.jpg
Aunt Delores on the right at her Grad Party in the driveway, +Woody

https://i.postimg.cc/K8BCCjW8/055.jpg
Beauty Party 1953 Dad in center, Aunt Eugenia on right

And in front of Kenwood with Papa's new Caddy w/Lassie
https://i.postimg.cc/RVXjB2Sj/048.jpg
Dad, Aunt Mildred, and Aunt Carol in the back window

https://i.postimg.cc/3N7JPz8k/049.jpg

and an unknown location.
https://i.postimg.cc/tJ2ZD93q/052.jpg
Dad, Aunt Delores, Mills Girl (her brother is Judge Billy Mills), Aunt Mildred and James Richards (Uncle's we're founders of the vocal group The Robin's and he later married my Aunt Mildred)

GaylordWilshire Nov 25, 2020 8:34 PM

:previous:

Great pictures, unihikid! And I love that Cadillac. Btw I've gone way beyond Berkeley Square...now working on my 220th Adams Boulevard house history (see this and this). I've done a few at the Adams end of your Kenwood block and have more in the hopper.

unihikid Nov 25, 2020 9:14 PM

My Grandmother worked at Bullocks Downtown, sometime in 1957 she started working for the Candy Family. The first house she worked at for the Candy's was located on San Vincente in Santa Monica/Brentwood area. She also help keep the Apartment the Candy's had on Wilshire near the LA Country Club. The last location of the Candy's was in Malibu. Walter Candy (Mr. Candy) was the President of the I-Magnin/Bullocks chain. He married Kate Winnett, who's father P.G. was co-founder of Bullock's.

As a kid i always wondered why our luggage had the initials KWC, i was told it was Granny's Luggage which just got me even more confused. Well it seems when the Candy's passed away in the mid 70's, Granny was responsible for the estate as the Candy's didn't have kids. We still have the full set of Mrs. Candy Louis Vuitton Luggage (and one Hartman piece belonging to Mr. Candy) that was purchased at Bullock's Wilshire.. and i do travel with it.

https://i.postimg.cc/RZ9fmbFx/032.jpg
Candy's Butler and Granny at Malibu Estate

[IMG][url=https://postimages.org/]https://i.postimg.cc/kGR1qT7K/034.jpg[/IMG]

Aunt Delores doing her Nurse Training at the Candy's
https://i.postimg.cc/X7HfQf30/028.jpg

Mrs. Candy liked to drink and Granny became more of a paid friend (think Driving Mrs. Daisy)/ caregiver. She tried to get Mrs. Candy to move to the Duplex on Spaulding (only 5 miles away from Bullocks Wilshire) but the permit didn't go through.

https://i.postimg.cc/d0TgqQnL/045.jpg
Mr. and Mrs. Candy Malibu

Mrs. Candy
https://i.postimg.cc/dtk2N70k/035.jpg

Granny working
https://i.postimg.cc/6Q3nRTFp/037.jpgimage uploading

https://i.postimg.cc/7ZQbF9Qq/036.jpg

and last because i mentioned him earlier, P.G. Winnett.
https://i.postimg.cc/k5cYMVKM/046.jpg
Malibu 1964

CityBoyDoug Nov 25, 2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9114915)
.
Thanks for sharing the photographs of your beautiful family, unihikid.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/qoaUXp.jpg
unihikid

I'm curious. .did you ever have a chance to ask your dad what song he is performing for your aunts?


Was the family Collie really named Lassie? . . or are you joshing us. :)


.


All of the Lassie collie dogs in the TV series were actually male. Here's why.

Because female collies tend to "blow coat" (go through a massive hormone-induced shedding process) with each fertility cycle. While males blow coat as well in reaction to a change in season, it is much less noticeable than what occurs with an intact female.


https://i.pinimg.com/564x/82/fd/84/8...2ee18020c1.jpg
1955 - CBS


One Fall day I riding my bike backstage at a local LA parade, when I suddenly came face to face with Tommy Rettig [above w/Lassie boy], much to my surprise, as I had no idea he was there.

Tommy Rettig quote. ''When I found out it was my last season [1957] on "Lassie" I was ecstatic. I had gotten to the point where I really resented not being able to go out except on Saturday nights. Of course, when I did date girls their parents always trusted me because of my goody-goody TV image. The fools!''

His small size, 5'4'', made adult movie roles almost impossible to obtain. He was a brilliant computer software programmer and wrote several books on the topic.

JimCraig Nov 26, 2020 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unihikid (Post 9116805)
Thanks Martin and Jim. I was lucky enough to know all the folks in the pictures except my grandfather. He was first married to Zora Neal Hurston who he went to Howard University with. Granny was a rebound and the marriage wasn't a happy one(divorced in 1955). The kids we're spoiled to say the least and Granny had to work overtime at Bullocks DT just in case the kids brought over someone for Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner. Here are some around the house pics.

https://i.postimg.cc/sxB4PJKT/075.jpg
Aunt Carol, Aunt Eugenia, Granny getting ready for a party in yard.

https://i.postimg.cc/3JpLx6FL/054.jpg
Aunt Delores on the right at her Grad Party in the driveway, +Woody

https://i.postimg.cc/K8BCCjW8/055.jpg
Beauty Party 1953 Dad in center, Aunt Eugenia on right

And in front of Kenwood with Papa's new Caddy w/Lassie
https://i.postimg.cc/RVXjB2Sj/048.jpg
Dad, Aunt Mildred, and Aunt Carol in the back window

https://i.postimg.cc/3N7JPz8k/049.jpg

and an unknown location.
https://i.postimg.cc/tJ2ZD93q/052.jpg
Dad, Aunt Delores, Mills Girl (her brother is Judge Billy Mills), Aunt Mildred and James Richards (Uncle's we're founders of the vocal group The Robin's and he later married my Aunt Mildred)

Who was the camera bug in the family who took all these wonderful pictures?

CaliNative Nov 26, 2020 6:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 9116627)
The Folger's lady was Virginia Christine (who was Mrs. Fritz Feld).

The North By Northwest lady was Nora Marlowe (who was married to James McCallion, an unfamiliar name, but he also was on numerous TV series episodes).

It's interesting to look over the many single-episode credits these actresses had in TV series of the 1950-1970s! Westerns, Sci-Fi, Comedy, etc. etc. I began to list them to include here, but there are so very very many...

Thanks. We see and recognize these character actors, but don't know much about them, even their names. They are the forgotten workhorses of Hollywood.

CaliNative Nov 26, 2020 7:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 9117009)
All of the Lassie collie dogs in the TV series were actually male. Here's why.

Because female collies tend to "blow coat" (go through a massive hormone-induced shedding process) with each fertility cycle. While males blow coat as well in reaction to a change in season, it is much less noticeable than what occurs with an intact female.


https://i.pinimg.com/564x/82/fd/84/8...2ee18020c1.jpg
1955 - CBS


One Fall day I riding my bike backstage at a local LA parade, when I suddenly came face to face with Tommy Rettig [above w/Lassie boy], much to my surprise, as I had no idea he was there.

Tommy Rettig quote. ''When I found out it was my last season [1957] on "Lassie" I was ecstatic. I had gotten to the point where I really resented not being able to go out except on Saturday nights. Of course, when I did date girls their parents always trusted me because of my goody-goody TV image. The fools!''

His small size, 5'4'', made adult movie roles almost impossible to obtain. He was a brilliant computer software programmer and wrote several books on the topic.

I thought they used males because the females were unmanageable when they went into heat, or maybe because the males were easier to train. "Blowing coat"...interesting, never knew that. I googled it and it is true. We learn things from you City Boy. I had forgotten about how rabbit meat used to be common in stores before the 1970s until you reminded us a while back.Then it went away. Where did all the rabbit eaters go? Rabbit is good for you, low fat, and quite tasty.

Didn't the woman who played "Phyllis" in the Mary Tyler Moore show (Cloris Leachman) play his (Rettig's) mom in "Lassie"? The 1960s Lassie mom was June Lockhart. I recall that Rettig also played a role in a film with Robert Mitchum & Marilyn Monroe called "The River of No Return" or something similar. He played Mitchum's son and Marilyn was a showgirl. All 3 went down the Snake River on a raft and all 3 hit it off. The Lassie boy got to meet Marilyn! Love to hear Rettig tell Marilyn stories and Mitchum stories. Bet he has a lot of stories. Marilyn Mitchum...that would have been a power couple. But Mitch probably didn't want to p.o. Joe D.

Noirishers have a Happy T'giving.

Martin Pal Nov 26, 2020 8:10 PM

.
.
Happy Thanksgiving!


1904
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...ver_grande.jpghttps://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...e75_grande.jpg


November, 1921
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...5032-cover.jpg


November, 1924
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...2015-cover.jpg


1924
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...2013-cover.jpg


1924
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...2011-cover.jpg


1924
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...2014-cover.jpg


1926
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...rb04206-01.jpg


1926
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...b/24328-01.jpg


1927
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...4326-cover.jpg


1931
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...is-Rome_Ad.jpg


1931
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...ze/b/24457.jpg


1938
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...ze/b/14286.jpg


1949
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...1089-front.jpghttps://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...089-inside.jpg


1995
https://dbase1.lapl.org/images/menus...rb04439-01.jpg


LAPL Menu Collection Link: HERE

ethereal_reality Nov 27, 2020 4:58 PM

Cool menus, Martin. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone as well. :)





Have any of you noirisher heard of the Sweet and Lowe Convalescent Home?


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/reKICH.jpg
eBay


The name "Sweet and Lowe" doesn't ring any bells....It's unique enough I think I would have remembered it.

There is something written in white at the very bottom of the photograph. (no doubt from the negative)




Here is the reverse.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/rIxooe.jpg

April 20, 1912

The writer's house is being moved.... There was alot of house moving going on in Los Angeles back in the day.



.

ethereal_reality Nov 27, 2020 5:45 PM

.
mystery location


This amazing rppc of an apartment building in Los Angeles was just listed on eBay.



https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/sXESO1.jpg
eBay






Here is the reverse. (postmark 1915)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/zl0MzN.jpg


I believe the long, underlined word at the bottom, on the right side, might be the name of the apt. building.





I was curious about what was going on streetside.

Let's take a closer look.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/Jn88Be.png
detail

hmm. . .I guess the diagonal board has nothing to do with the pipes on the ground. The little bridge made me think of the zanjas that used to supply water.
My guess is; they're planning on burying the pipes to replace the 'open air' zanja.


Or maybe that isn't a zanja at all. . .it might just be a slight ditch. :shrug:


And. . .hmm. . .the diagonal board, that appears to be attached to a wire, is stabilizing the tree. (?)



.

unihikid Nov 27, 2020 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimCraig (Post 9117164)
Who was the camera bug in the family who took all these wonderful pictures?

I'm thinking my grandfather (Papa aka Dr. Herbert Sheen). I found most of these photos at my grandmother's property and since she really didn't throw anything away, and i didn't find any cameras, it just leads me to believe it was Papa (he's also noticeably absent in most photos).

Lwize Nov 28, 2020 1:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9118531)
hmm. . .I guess the diagonal board has nothing to do with the pipes on the ground. The little bridge made me think of the zanjas that used to supply water.
My guess is; they're planning on burying the pipes to replace the 'open air' zanja.

Or maybe that isn't a zanja at all. . .it might just be a slight ditch. :shrug:

All this zanja talk reminds me of the oddly crooked Zanja Street in Mar Vista that comes off of west Washington Blvd.
The street is old - it's on pre-1900 maps of the area.
Maybe Zanja and Washington Blvd were open trenches in the 19th Century??

https://larry.wizegallery.com/VWV/zanja.jpg
Google Maps - hosted by me


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.