SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

ethereal_reality Jun 8, 2020 5:13 PM

.

Here are the often seen (on NLA) gas-o-meters from a new angle.

Seller's description: "1966 ORIGINAL SLIDE SOMEWHERE IN LOS ANGELES COUNTY AREA CALIFORNIA"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/7tQmDO.jpg
eBay

I've been looking around in the area but haven't figured out where the photographer was standing. (of course, it's difficult since the gas tanks are no longer there)


.

ethereal_reality Jun 8, 2020 5:44 PM

.
We have seen this photograph only once before, way back in 2011, but the image is now missing.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/8MIyyY.jpg
lapl

This was one of Mickey Cohen's bookie joints in the mid 1940s. It was located at 8109 Beverly Blvd.

As a reminder: The killing of bookie Max "Maxie" Shaman occurred here in 1945.


Here's a description:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/0ZjgNK.jpg
amazon books


sidenote: Kon-Kre-Kota was a special brand of paint made with asbestos. (and, perhaps, kreosote [sic]?)





.

ethereal_reality Jun 8, 2020 6:00 PM

.
re: La Brea Social Club



In the same time period as Kon-Kre-Kota, Cohen also operated a gambling establishment on North LaBrea Avenue called "The La Brea Social Club".

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/dsp6SM.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/RNLuV1.jpg

excerpts book




I've searched all morning and I haven't had any luck finding a photograph of "The La Brea Social Club". Does anyone have a pic in their possesion?

The closest I came was an image of La Brea Social Club membership cards.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/E9h4WW.jpg
pinterest / non-working link


hmm. . .I also see a card from a place called the "Cloverdale Social Club". I've never heard of that one. It must have been over in Santa Monica area. (near the Cloverdale Airport, perhaps) :shrug:

.

ethereal_reality Jun 8, 2020 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8940908)
E_R, I couldn't resist turning those two photos into a single panoramic image:

https://i.imgur.com/psMJm1L.jpg

I removed the watermarks from my personal copy, but kept them visible for the forum, out of respect for the eBay seller.

If anyone wants the version with the watermark removed, just ask and I'll PM it to you.

:)

EXCELLENT job, Scott Charles! It's seamless.





This slide is from the same group of slides that included the Hollywood Blvd. photograph shown above.

I believe it was taken by the same phootgrapher
as he was about to leave Los Angeles. (the seller notes the image was taken at LAX) The date is 1965. (same as the Hollywood Blvd. slides)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/NWi1UU.jpg
eBay

Bye. Bye.


.

HossC Jun 8, 2020 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8945714)

Here are the often seen (on NLA) gas-o-meters from a new angle.

Seller's description: "1966 ORIGINAL SLIDE SOMEWHERE IN LOS ANGELES COUNTY AREA CALIFORNIA"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/7tQmDO.jpg
eBay

I've been looking around in the area but haven't figured out where the photographer was standing. (of course, it's difficult since the gas tanks are no longer there)

The image below is from 1971. I've placed my arrow where I think the photographer was standing. The building I've labeled "1" is the gray-roofed one on the left of e_r's photo, and "2" is the white building in the center. We're looking across Alameda from just north of Temple. The site is now occupied by the VA Outpatient Clinic.

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/...asometers3.jpg
mil.library.ucsb.edu

Beaudry Jun 9, 2020 1:55 AM

Originally Posted by robeach11
Gee, you may be right! A story I accepted as gospel. So much for being an Anna May Wong Super Expert.
Related... we've seen aerial and long distance photos of the Wong's Figueroa laundry. I refuse to believe there aren't better pics out there somewhere. Newspapers, magazines, fans knew of the place. NO ONE took a clear, up close shot??


Quote:

Originally Posted by rick m (Post 8940451)
I have only found the Wong Laundry on WPA street survey with its line drawings- WPA Los Angeles maps (c. 1935) Mine all loaned to Prudent Beaudry. So he could tell which sheet # this is located on..... Some detail, but very simple wooden 2 story structure----- near 2nd Street on west side.

Here's, at least, a drawing of the structure in question!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e693ce04_o.png

Sam Kee was at 241 N Fig, midway between Diamond and Temple on the west side:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1c300548_o.png

According to DBS, it was built as a "store, work and living room" by Aurelia Corker in 1907. It was converted to Sam Kee Laundry in the summer of 1915. Not sure when Lee left but it was advertised as possible repair/machine shop in 1935, and owned by a Frank Lew in 1941. It became the site of a George Novikoff Engineers-designed County Health Dept building in 1951.

Lorendoc Jun 9, 2020 4:52 AM

Cloverdale Social Club
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8945763)
.



hmm. . .I also see a card from a place called the "Cloverdale Social Club". I've never heard of that one. It must have been over in Santa Monica area. (near the Cloverdale Airport, perhaps) :shrug:

.

The Cloverdale Social Club was at 742 S. Cloverdale Ave., near La Brea and a half a block south of Wilshire. This Tudoroid residence was a card club (ostensibly bridge, but in reality high-stakes poker etc.) It was the subject of various vice raids in the 40s.

https://i.imgur.com/XYZsPd0.jpg
Google Earth Pro

The cards shown in e_r's photo were found on the body of Paulie Gibbons, a Cohen flunky who was murdered on N. Gale Drive in Beverly Hills on May 2, 1946 by persons unknown.

robeach11 Jun 9, 2020 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaudry (Post 8946234)
Originally Posted by robeach11
Gee, you may be right! A story I accepted as gospel. So much for being an Anna May Wong Super Expert.
Related... we've seen aerial and long distance photos of the Wong's Figueroa laundry. I refuse to believe there aren't better pics out there somewhere. Newspapers, magazines, fans knew of the place. NO ONE took a clear, up close shot??




Here's, at least, a drawing of the structure in question!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e693ce04_o.png

Sam Kee was at 241 N Fig, midway between Diamond and Temple on the west side:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1c300548_o.png

According to DBS, it was built as a "store, work and living room" by Aurelia Corker in 1907. It was converted to Sam Kee Laundry in the summer of 1915. Not sure when Lee left but it was advertised as possible repair/machine shop in 1935, and owned by a Frank Lew in 1941. It became the site of a George Novikoff Engineers-designed County Health Dept building in 1951.

Interesting. I know the Wong's moved into the 241 N. Figueroa address in 1910. Phone directory shows Sam Kee laundry at that location in 1911. Sam Sing Wong and family stayed at that location until 1934 when they left for China, except for Anna May and her mother (who died in front of laundry in 1930).

I'd like to see a plaque placed at the site. If Bruce Lee can have a statue in Chinatown, why not honor Anna (a Los Angeles native)?? There's a little park-ish(?) area to the immediate north of the Health building that would be a nice area for some tribute.

ethereal_reality Jun 10, 2020 5:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8945914)
The image below is from 1971. I've placed my arrow where I think the photographer was standing. The building I've labeled "1" is the gray-roofed one on the left of e_r's photo,
and "2" is the white building in the center. We're looking across Alameda from just north of Temple. The site is now occupied by the VA Outpatient Clinic.

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/...asometers3.jpg
mil.library.ucsb.edu

:previous: Excellent sleuthing, Hoss.

Thanks for figuring out where the gas-o-meters slide was taken.




Here's a slide of the Tishman Building at 615 Flower Street. It was taken a year earlier than the gas-o-meters slide.

1965...................................................
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/27zW4U.jpg
eBay / original slide

I've tried to figure out where the photographer was positioned (when he took this image) but so far I haven't been able to figure it out.


.

ethereal_reality Jun 10, 2020 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorendoc (Post 8946333)
The Cloverdale Social Club was at 742 S. Cloverdale Ave., near La Brea and a half a block south of Wilshire. This Tudoroid residence was a card club (ostensibly bridge, but in reality high-stakes poker etc.) It was the subject of various vice raids in the 40s.

https://i.imgur.com/XYZsPd0.jpg
Google Earth Pro

The cards shown in e_r's photo were found on the body of Paulie Gibbons, a Cohen flunky who was murdered on N. Gale Drive in Beverly Hills on May 2, 1946 by persons unknown.

Thanks Lorendoc.

Well, I've learned one thing. It's almost impossible to find any additional information on the 'Cloverdale Social Club'. *wipes brow*




It just dawn on me. - perhaps the other name on Gibbon's membership card might yield some clues.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/caPjci.jpg

The last name is clearly "Ross", but I can't make out the first. (except for the B)


.

ethereal_reality Jun 10, 2020 6:32 AM

.
Here's an exceptional photograph showing workers posed in front of a large piece of machinery owned by the C. E. Green Eng. Construction Co. Los Angeles.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/mKiZ3d.jpg
eBay

The seller doesn't included a date but there are horses and wagons on the left. ........... .so 1900s(?) . . .1910s(?)





Enlargement for your viewing pleasure.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/HL4bHG.jpg
eBay


LARGER, you say.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/HL4bHG.jpg

I'm pretty sure the large mechanical-thingy is an excavator.




.....

CaliNative Jun 10, 2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8947447)
:previous: Excellent sleuthing, Hoss.

Thanks for figuring out where the gas-o-meters slide was taken.




Here's a slide of the Tishman Building at 615 Flower Street. It was taken a year earlier than the gas-o-meters slide.

1965...................................................
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/27zW4U.jpg
eBay / original slide

I've tried to figure out where the photographer was positioned (when he took this image) but so far I haven't been able to figure it out.


.

^^^
My guess for the location is across the Harbor Freeway to the west, perhaps in the old Sinclair Oil or Unocal Buildings??? You can see a bit of the beloved old Richfield tower in the pic, the once with the gold and black/brown color on the left. Black gold. I do miss the Richfield, ttorn down in the late 1960s to make way for the ARCO/BA twins. The Tishman was only 250' tall, but was considered a skyscraper back then. Built soon after LA lifted the 150' height limit. The Richfield with its "oil derrick" spire towered over it, a magnificent 380' high. In the backround on Spring street you can see the top of the United California Bank building, also one of the first "skyscrapers" built after the height limit was removed. Also about 250'. The Statler Hilton on the right was of course replaced with a real scraper, the 1100' Wilshire Grand.

JimCraig Jun 10, 2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8947464)
Thanks Lorendoc.

Well, I've learned one thing. It's almost impossible to find any additional information on the 'Cloverdale Social Club'. *wipes brow*




It just dawn on me. - perhaps the other name on Gibbon's membership card might yield some clues.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/caPjci.jpg

The last name is clearly "Ross", but I can't make out the first. (except for the B)


.

I believe the name is Barney Ross.

HossC Jun 10, 2020 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8947447)

Here's a slide of the Tishman Building at 615 Flower Street. It was taken a year earlier than the gas-o-meters slide.

1965...................................................
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/27zW4U.jpg
eBay / original slide

I've tried to figure out where the photographer was positioned (when he took this image) but so far I haven't been able to figure it out.

The building on the right is the top of the Statler Hotel, so could the photographer have been on the top floor/roof of the hotel on the part near the Harbor Freeway?

odinthor Jun 10, 2020 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimCraig (Post 8947549)
I believe the name is Barney Ross.

Though there could be many Barney Rosses around, I wonder if the Barney Ross of the time who (according to various articles I glanced over) was a former welterweight champion, war hero, sometime sports promoter, sometime morphine addict, could be the Ross who signed the card:

https://i.postimg.cc/630nBw8q/Ross-LAT-11-6-45.jpg
LA Times, 11/6/1945

The friend Ross was helping eventually perished in an auto accident.

edit add: Here's a pic of the boxer's signature:

https://i.postimg.cc/BnBKT4Cg/Ross-Sig-JOSports-Inc.jpg
Jo Sports Inc.

Noir_Noir Jun 10, 2020 5:01 PM

:previous:


It's very likely the same Barney Ross.


https://i.imgur.com/LBIAiAV.jpg



"Barney Ross (born Dov-Ber "Beryl" David Rosofsky; December 23, 1909 – January 17, 1967) was an American professional boxer.
Ross became a world champion in three weight divisions and was a decorated veteran of World War II.

During his recovery at the hospital from his wounds suffered in that battle, Ross developed a habit for the morphine administered for pain.
Back in the States, the morphine became heroin. This habit became so bad he would sometimes spend $500 a day on the drug. Ross went
to a recovery center and beat his addiction.

Ross spent his last days using his celebrity status in promotional work for casinos and other businesses."


wikipedia.org - Barney Ross


He was a lifelong friend of Jack Ruby. He testified as a character witness on Ruby's behalf at his trial for killing Lee Harvey Oswald.


Another old friend of Ruby was one Maurice "Frenchy" Medlevine. He was interviewed for the Warren Commission Report regarding his links to Ruby.


I wonder what Maurice was up to in the mid 1940's.


From an FBI General Crime Survey in 1945.


https://i.imgur.com/Z1MsimV.jpg
archives.gov

Godzilla Jun 10, 2020 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 7164567)
There's no prize for guessing this Julius Shulman location, although the second and third shots are more obvious than the first. This is the Bank of America on the corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue. Unusually for these photosets, there's no close-up of the bank building. There is, however, another of those "Chop Suey" signs on the left. For search/credit purposes, this is "Job 1268: Bank of America (Los Angeles, Calif.),1952".

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...1.jpg~original

Now we're looking east along Hollywood Boulevard. In 1952, the Hollywood Hotel would still have been hiding behind the trees on the left.


The view looking north is dominated by the Hollywood First National Bank building.

The old bank building is still standing, but has been transformed into Ripley's Believe It or Not.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...6.jpg~original
GSV

Here's my attempt to recreate the third Shulman image with GSV. Considering the changes that have taken place on the northwest corner of Hollywood/Highland, this view still has a lot of the buildings from 1952. On the right, the old Max Factor building is now the Hollywood Museum.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...7.jpg~original
GSV






The Bank/Ripley's is glimpsed below the Highland street sign




1977, looking east on Hollywood Blvd. Joan Jett




https://i.pinimg.com/originals/37/3e...1a8f39723e.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/37/3e...1a8f39723e.jpg

CityBoyDoug Jun 10, 2020 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir_Noir (Post 8947855)
:previous:


It's very likely the same Barney Ross.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/V0gAA...FIZ/s-l400.jpg
sports collection

According to wiki he was able to go 15 Rounds in boxing matches and never suffered a knockout. This alone mean one thing. He's fit and very tough.

:tup::notacrook::tup:

Beaudry Jun 10, 2020 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8947447)
:


Here's a slide of the Tishman Building at 615 Flower Street. It was taken a year earlier than the gas-o-meters slide.

1965...................................................
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/27zW4U.jpg
eBay / original slide

I've tried to figure out where the photographer was positioned (when he took this image) but so far I haven't been able to figure it out.


.

Hoss is right I think, that we're on the roof of the Statler. I threw together these little pix:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...00a9b978_b.jpg
lapl

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...789800e4_b.jpgparadiseleasedlapl

Check out this guy (Statler exec Arthur F. Douglas), he's literally saying "so if you stood over there on the roof, you could get a nice shot of the windows over here—"

https://paradiseleased.files.wordpre...pg?w=640&h=491

The Tishman was a pretty wild looking building, once. Kind of an aquatic blue/robin's egg. Now:

http://you-are-here.com/los_angeles/wilshire_tower.jpgyou-are-here

BDiH Jun 11, 2020 4:33 AM

Check out this guy (Statler exec Arthur F. Douglas), he's literally saying "so if you stood over there on the roof, you could get a nice shot of the windows over here—"

https://paradiseleased.files.wordpre...pg?w=640&h=491


The Statler was certainly one of the grand hotels of Los Angeles in it's day. I first visited when Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands held a press conference there in 1963.

Manny Aguirre, beloved Musso & Frank bartender, served James Dean coffee during a break in the filming of the banquet scene in Giant.



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.