SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

ethereal_reality Dec 16, 2015 3:15 AM

Here's a very noirish looking Los Angeles bar from the 1940s.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...907/K5hqlP.jpg
eBay


the same interior today
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...908/n7JuEi.jpg
:previous: note the skylights are still in place. (the building was built in 1925)


Jack and Dom's Cafe
15 Cent Hi-Balls
1812 N. Broadway
Los Angeles, California

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...633/HbT7GP.jpg
eBay



below: here's the exterior of 1812 N. Broadway

2015
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...908/bwvWy7.jpg
gsv

_

Flyingwedge Dec 16, 2015 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tourmaline (Post 7271824)
Marilyn nee Norma Jeane was involved in production of radio controlled aircraft similar to the type that landed at the Shrine Auditorium.http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/up...gram.html?_r=0

http://www.uasvision.com/wp-content/...roe-_drone.jpghttp://www.uasvision.com/wp-content/...roe-_drone.jpg

Marilyn Monroe and attorney Jerry Giesler (holding his hat) surrounded by reporters
in Los Angeles, 1954:
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...e.jpg~original
UCLA -- http://lit250v.library.ucla.edu/isla...ailyNews%3A348

Flyingwedge Dec 16, 2015 4:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumbo0 (Post 7270904)
I'm a huge fan of Laurel and Hardy and therefor on my last visit to L.A. in october I decided to visit some old filming locations from back in the 20's / 30's. At some places I took pictures, but I would like to share those locations with you with both new and then pictures. Hope they contribute :)


2. From the movie 'Hog Wild'.
Location: 4171 Madison Ave. Culver City
Although the house itself has changed alot (or maybe already another one is built there since I didn't recognize it from the movie), the house next dooe still remains the same.

http://weerfotos.be/Uploads/2_final.jpg

Thanks very much for your now-and-then L & H photos!

Regarding the Hardy home in Hog Wild, Randy Skretvedt in Laurel and Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies
(Moonstone Press, 1987) wrote, " . . . the studio rented a lot on Madison Avenue in Culver City and built a
prop house designed specifically for this picture."

tovangar2 Dec 16, 2015 5:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7271784)

This snapshot could very well be a scene out of a silent movie, but I don't believe it is.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/633/3d5rlS.jpg
old file / originally from ebay

I think it's just a crazy person that decided to scale the outside of the Marsh-Strong building.

__

The Marsh-Strong was in a scene in a silent movie, Chaplin's "The New Janitor" (1914), the year after it was built by Frederick Rice Dorn and Loyall Farragut Watson:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j...9%252520PM.jpg
silentlocations
<--more info at link

jumbo0 Dec 16, 2015 5:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 7271920)
Thanks very much for your now-and-then L & H photos!

Regarding the Hardy home in Hog Wild, Randy Skretvedt in Laurel and Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies
(Moonstone Press, 1987) wrote, " . . . the studio rented a lot on Madison Avenue in Culver City and built a
prop house designed specifically for this picture."

Wow, so good to know!
Thanks!!

tovangar2 Dec 16, 2015 9:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7270612)

1905, Redondo Beach

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...911/uYZpFZ.jpg
eBay

:previous: It looks like they're about to be hit by a tsunami. ;)

_


Re Redondo moonstones:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-J...4%252520PM.jpg
redondo reflex, 2/29/1914
(more clippings, pix, etc at the link)

I had a great bag of moonstones as a child, all collected at Hermosa. I'm not sure what happened to it, I think my little sister made away with it.

A friend's aunt made her living polishing beach stones (and also making custom murals from colored electrical wire... how 50s is that?). She sold the stones to local shops.

___

ethereal_reality Dec 16, 2015 4:57 PM

:previous: I looked up vintage moonstones. I didn't realize they were so beautiful.
I think you need to snoop around in your sister's attic for your moonstone collection t2. ;)
_



This is interesting.

"Prohibition Era Menu, La Fonda Wayside Inn; 12117 Ventura Blvd. Studio City"

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...633/vXtDMT.jpg
eBay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prohibition-...gAAOSwAKxWbbQZ




http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...907/9k7VCL.jpg

"No, we do not bootleg, so please do not ask for Hooch."

:previous: I have never seen that on a menu before!




http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...633/5V3bm6.jpg
eBay

I like the map too.

_

jg6544 Dec 16, 2015 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7272317)
:previous: I looked up vintage moonstones. I didn't realize they were so beautiful.
I think you need to snoop around in your sister's attic for your moonstone collection t2. ;)
_



This is interesting.

"Prohibition Era Menu, La Fonda Wayside Inn; 12117 Ventura Blvd. Studio City"

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...633/vXtDMT.jpg
eBay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prohibition-...gAAOSwAKxWbbQZ




http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...907/9k7VCL.jpg

"No, we do not bootleg, so please do not ask for Hooch."

:previous: I have never seen that on a menu before!




http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...633/5V3bm6.jpg
eBay

I like the map too.

_

"Gizzard or liver dinner" was what threw me for a loop.

Beaudry Dec 16, 2015 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7271853)
Here's a very noirish looking Los Angeles bar from the 1940s.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...907/K5hqlP.jpg
eBay

Jack and Dom's Cafe
15 Cent Hi-Balls
1812 N. Broadway
Los Angeles, California

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...633/HbT7GP.jpg
eBay

_

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5813/...686fb8f8_b.jpgLA Times, 19 August 1945

Those writers, I tell ya...

ethereal_reality Dec 16, 2015 7:37 PM

Have you ever wondered what the public drinking fountains looked like at Exposition Park in 1926?


http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...903/QmvLcf.jpg
eBay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1926...YAAOSw5ZBWKDBU

"2-6-26, Miss Ruth Bollenbaugh of Elkhart Ind. at Exposition Park Los Angeles, Cal. visits."

_

CityBoyDoug Dec 16, 2015 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7272570)
Have you ever wondered what the public drinking fountains looked like at Exposition Park in 1926?



"2-6-26, Miss Ruth Bollenbaugh of Elkhart Ind. at Exposition Park Los Angeles, Cal. visits."

_

:previous:

I remember those old drinking ''fountains". They gave you a drink and a face-wash at the same time.

HossC Dec 16, 2015 8:08 PM

The description for this Julius Shulman photoset says "View of valley from Mulholland, includes background of Universal Studios.". It's "Job 4437: City Views (Los Angeles, Calif.),
1968"
. The color shots include a couple like this one looking across the Hollywood Freeway.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...1.jpg~original

Then there are wider shots. I've cropped a lot of sky out of this one to present it as a panorama at full-resolution.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...2.jpg~original

One of the two black & white photos in the set is similar to the first image above, but the other looks across Hollywood. In the top-left corner you can just see the Civic Center,
with the mircowave tower on the AT&T building and a couple of DTLA towers to its right. Under them is Capitol Records and the buildings around Hollywood and Vine. It's also
easy to follow the taller buildings along Wilshire.
NB. The clouds in the original image are quite impressive, but I've cropped them again to leave a panorama.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...3.jpg~original

All from Getty Research Institute

ethereal_reality Dec 16, 2015 9:23 PM

Hoss, I wonder if Mr. Shulman used this Universal City Overlook area for his 1968 color view?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...903/C2k3Uw.jpg
Mulholland Drive gsv



To be honest, I didn't know about this overlook until 5 minutes ago.
__

HossC Dec 16, 2015 9:51 PM

:previous:

Thanks, e_r, I think you're right. I drove the Googlemobile along some of Mulholland, but didn't find the Universal City Overlook. Here's a more recent panorama taken from there.
I found it at americansouthwest.net.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...4.jpg~original
www.americansouthwest.net

tovangar2 Dec 16, 2015 10:34 PM

Grisly deaths of 1947
 
Another in NLA's ongoing series of images of cops crouching over the recently and violently deceased:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M...9%252520PM.jpg
lapl

LAPL caption:
"Photograph article dated November 22, 1947 reads, 'Despondency over a bone affliction which had kept him out of service in World War II was believed the cause of a 10-story plunge yesterday by Goodwin Bertram Aurback, 38, Veterans Administration case-worker, from the roof of a building at 1031 S. Broadway. Aurbach complained to Harold Epstein, 2277 Cove Ave., a co-worker, of feeling ill and depressed after lunch. He left his office on the 11th floor, ostensibly to visit the nurse's office on the 12th floor. A few moments later workers on various floors saw a body hurtling down the well between two wings of the building. The body landed on the third-floor set-back. Aurbach leaves his widow and a child of 2301 Bentley Ave."'

1031 S Broadway is a 1925 Walker and Eisen effort. Also in the shot is Noerenberg & Johnson's 1920 1062 S Broadway (left) and Julia Morgan's 1914 Herald Examiner Building (center distance):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X...1%252520PM.jpg
gsv

CityBoyDoug Dec 17, 2015 3:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 7272823)
Another in NLA's ongoing series of images of cops crouching over the recently and violently deceased:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M...9%252520PM.jpg
lapl

LAPL caption:
"Photograph article dated November 22, 1947 reads, 'Despondency over a bone affliction which had kept him out of service in World War II was believed the cause of a 10-story plunge yesterday by Goodwin Bertram Aurback, 38, Veterans Administration case-worker, from the roof of a building at 1031 S. Broadway. Aurbach complained to Harold Epstein, 2277 Cove Ave., a co-worker, of feeling ill and depressed after lunch. He left his office on the 11th floor, ostensibly to visit the nurse's office on the 12th floor. A few moments later workers on various floors saw a body hurtling down the well between two wings of the building. The body landed on the third-floor set-back. Aurbach leaves his widow and a child of 2301 Bentley Ave."'

1031 S Broadway is a 1925 Walker and Eisen effort. Also in the shot is Noerenberg & Johnson's 1920 1062 S Broadway (left) and Julia Morgan's 1914 Herald Examiner Building (center distance):


gsv

"This is the city, Los Angeles, California, I work here. I'm a cop."....Joe Friday.

Beaudry Dec 17, 2015 4:12 AM

A wee bit of 'tis the seasoning for everyone—the Christmas tree hauled into Edison's General Office doorway on Fifth (which remains as the sole piece of the famous retaining wall).

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5651/...01f23e33_b.jpghuntington
11 Dec 1957. Note of course the Architect's Bldg and the Monarch in the bg.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/777/2...ce66f72e_b.jpghuntington

Took some serious scaffolding for these ladies to scale:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/605/2...c517b681_c.jpghuntington

You think they'd wear trousers. No shortage of holiday perverts lurking beneath!

I don't believe this to be the same tree (and the negative is undated) but had to include it because it's in color and I'm in awe of the stupefying use of tinsel.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5686/...bda4506b_o.pnghuntington

God bless us, everyone!

tovangar2 Dec 17, 2015 4:52 AM

And yet another in the series of LA random car-on-house accidents:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C...2%252520AM.jpg
lapl

LAPL caption:
"Photograph caption dated August 6, 1986 reads, "John Graham Wallace III surveys the damage caused by a car that jumped the curb on the 1100 block of Roscomare Road and plowed into his house at 6:50 a.m. yesterday. Police said Aram Homampour, 18, was distraught over a breakup with this girlfriend and accidentally crashed the car into the Bel-Air home. Homampour received a broken wrist and numerous bruises."

___

P.S.

Great angle on the old Bunker Hill Steps Beaudry :-)



Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaudry (Post 7273181)

You think they'd wear trousers.

Trousers? At the office? In 1957?

It's not their problem anyway. How about the perverts wear blindfolds?

ethereal_reality Dec 17, 2015 2:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaudry (Post 7273181)

Oh my, what a gorgeous photograph!
Thanks so much Beaudry.

_

Hollywood Graham Dec 17, 2015 5:14 PM

Tinsel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaudry (Post 7273181)
A wee bit of 'tis the seasoning for everyone—the Christmas tree hauled into Edison's General Office doorway on Fifth (which remains as the sole piece of the famous retaining wall).

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5651/...01f23e33_b.jpghuntington
11 Dec 1957. Note of course the Architect's Bldg and the Monarch in the bg.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/777/2...ce66f72e_b.jpghuntington

Took some serious scaffolding for these ladies to scale:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/605/2...c517b681_c.jpghuntington

You think they'd wear trousers. No shortage of holiday perverts lurking beneath!

I don't believe this to be the same tree (and the negative is undated) but had to include it because it's in color and I'm in awe of the stupefying use of tinsel.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5686/...bda4506b_o.pnghuntington

God bless us, everyone!

I bet it was lead tinsel too.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.