SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

GaylordWilshire Jun 18, 2014 4:11 PM

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6...2520AM.bmp.jpgLAPL


I came across this ad for the Pacific Military Academy, which it seems we haven't seen here before, in the 1923 LACD.

According to this website, "The Pacific Military Academy (PMA) was situated on a hill just north of Culver City, at Cardiff and Cattaraugus, after a short time in Culver City (c 1925) at 6450 Washington Blvd. Culver City's founder, Harry H. Culver, established PMA in honor of his late father, Gen. J. H. Culver, U.S. Army Volunteers."


The illustrations below came from the site linked above, which includes more information.

https://www.culvercity.org/~/media/I...Map%20gif.ashxhttps://www.culvercity.org/~/media/I...cad%20jpg.ashx


http://i.imgur.com/zIfQWu9.jpg?1?1872CHMA

The second location, above, is discussed here. The building was demolished in 1962.


There are a couple of shots at the LAPL, apparently taken at the second PMA building, which was designed by Wallace Neff, according to the first website...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-l...2520PM.bmp.jpg


http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KOg00S85AV...600/img057.jpgDocs R Us
From a 1938 Standard Oil map


So it seems that we've seen the site of the second PMA here before, just before it was built:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...ps75600e28.jpgUSCDL

From prior post 16614

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=16614

MichaelRyerson Jun 18, 2014 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetsu (Post 6622212)
I've been meaning to post this article for a while now - I'm taking your post as a sign to stop being lazy about it. :haha:

Article is dated Feb. 4, 1962.

Thank you, Tetsu for a really well done post. The article, of course, only partially answers my question but absent a really comprehensive study, these anecdotal stories will have to do. With upwards of ten thousand people being displaced, you'd think some enterprising urban planner would have taken advantage of the opportunity. In any event, nice post. Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albany NY (Post 6622383)
Wow, Michael, you're a man after my own heart! (Did that sound creepy, at all?)...((not particularly. Well maybe a little.)) Every single one of them had their own hopes and dreams and demons stalking their every waking hour....just like the rest of us.

Well, we're really on the same page with this...it's always been about the people to me. Even when we are looking at the sometimes magnificent buildings, sometimes modest buildings we all miss, the Richfield, the Sunkist, the Poundcake Hill High School building, I'm always thinking about how those buildings affected the people who saw them contemporaneously, as parts of their normal environment. How the designs lifted their spirits, served them, oriented them...

Anyway, here's the image that started my most recent thinking on this...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5336/...ea785565_o.jpgExtension of 4th Street through Bunker Hill, 1956

The coming of the 4th Street cut. Looking west over 4th Street where half a mile extension will carry it from Hill Street under Grand Avenue (middle distance) and Hope Street (Hildreth house is gone, only shrubs appear to remain) and over Flower and Figueroa (which cannot be seen) to the Harbor Freeway, part of which can be seen in the background. Camera appears to be situated on the south east corner of Olive and 4th Streets probably on the upper floors or roof of the Subway Building. Lovely curved staircase at center/bottom is from the now demolished Fremont Hotel. The $1,256,085 project is scheduled to be finished Jan. 1st, 1956. 135,400 cubic yards of dirt are in the process of being moved and work can be seen from the Harbor Freeway.

HossC Jun 18, 2014 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 6622966)

According to this website, "The Pacific Military Academy (PMA) was situated on a hill just north of Culver City, at Cardiff and Cattaraugus, after a short time in Culver City (c 1925) at 6450 Washington Blvd. Culver City's founder, Harry H. Culver, established PMA in honor of his late father, Gen. J. H. Culver, U.S. Army Volunteers."

The illustrations below came from the site linked above, which includes more information.

https://www.culvercity.org/~/media/I...Map%20gif.ashxhttps://www.culvercity.org/~/media/I...cad%20jpg.ashx

http://i.imgur.com/zIfQWu9.jpg?1?1872CHMA

The second location, above, is discussed here. The building was demolished in 1962.

It looks like residential properties closed in fast on the Pacific Military Academy. Here's a series of aerial shots, all from Historic Aerials. The graphic above makes it look like Beverly Drive was just north of the academy, but now it's the street that bisects the old site, so did it move or is the map wrong? I have a 1928 map which shows the portion of Beverly Drive that's currently to the south of Cattaraugus was once called Watseka.

1948 - Still in acres of space.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z.../LAPMA1948.jpg

1953 - Surrounded by housing.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z.../LAPMA1953.jpg

1972 - Gone.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z.../LAPMA1972.jpg

Beaudry Jun 18, 2014 8:33 PM

Am certain I'm not alone in saying Urban Diachrony is one of my all-time favorite blogs. Glad there's cross-pollination here!

ethereal_reality Jun 18, 2014 10:55 PM

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/842/4qzo7.jpgebay

I was surprised to see how lush the 'grounds' were...almost like a formal garden.
(not sure of the exact location)
__

ethereal_reality Jun 18, 2014 11:27 PM

A series of snapshots showing a ramshackle amusement park in Sunland CA. (all from ebay)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/840/swzk.jpg


http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/850/rxmsi.jpg


http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/837/ikuc.jpg



http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/850/j1nt.jpg

-this reminds me of that photograph of CBD and his brother on a carnival ride.



http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/840/qvwd.jpg



http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/842/8m17b.jpg


Eskimo Pies!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/834/iazro.jpg




http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/823/52fz.jpg




http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/849/40gj.jpg

Is that William Frawley? ;)


__



"The old carousel in Sunland park." uploaded by patricia Green on pinterest. (same place?)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/829/h7xr.jpg
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/375839531375555555/
__



Sunland Bus Line from Los Angeles

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/819/of9fi.jpg
http://www.pinterest.com



Second only to rooftop signs...signs traversing a street. (and this one looks like it lit up)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/842/zqs85.jpg
http://www.kenoticket.net/store.php/...s_street_scene



detail/small real estate office (Morris?)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/823/xl45.jpg




detail/Sunland Pharmacy
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/853/89wn.jpg




detail/Shopping Bag
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/829/82ak.jpg



The Shopping Bag 1960s (same location?)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/823/oiem.jpg





Los Angeles Public Library branch, Sunland Station (no date)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/849/xoyy.jpg
redondowriter blog




..and in living color.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/840/csfw.jpg
ebay

__

Chuckaluck Jun 19, 2014 12:02 AM

1938 - 945 Westwood Blvd. Lucille's

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...SPGEP7TPD2.jpghttp://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...SPGEP7TPD2.jpg





1938 - Weyburn Ave., Westwood



http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...RUN6JSPK1V.jpghttp://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...RUN6JSPK1V.jpg


Undated North Hollywood - Peters Electric

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...IEC4377KUN.jpghttp://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...IEC4377KUN.jpg

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...7RM4VRPUG2.jpghttp://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...7RM4VRPUG2.jpg

CityBoyDoug Jun 19, 2014 12:56 AM

Round and round we go.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6623730)
A series of snapshots showing a ramshackle amusement park in Sunland CA.



__

Here's my brother and I at Beverly Park...about a thousand years ago...:D:D

I'm on the left.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps49550d96.jpg
Personal photo.

Tetsu Jun 19, 2014 1:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson (Post 6623094)
Thank you, Tetsu for a really well done post. The article, of course, only partially answers my question but absent a really comprehensive study, these anecdotal stories will have to do. With upwards of ten thousand people being displaced, you'd think some enterprising urban planner would have taken advantage of the opportunity. In any event, nice post. Thanks again.



Well, we're really on the same page with this...it's always been about the people to me. Even when we are looking at the sometimes magnificent buildings, sometimes modest buildings we all miss, the Richfield, the Sunkist, the Poundcake Hill High School building, I'm always thinking about how those buildings affected the people who saw them contemporaneously, as parts of their normal environment. How the designs lifted their spirits, served them, oriented them...

Anyway, here's the image that started my most recent thinking on this...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5336/...ea785565_o.jpgExtension of 4th Street through Bunker Hill, 1956

The coming of the 4th Street cut. Looking west over 4th Street where half a mile extension will carry it from Hill Street under Grand Avenue (middle distance) and Hope Street (Hildreth house is gone, only shrubs appear to remain) and over Flower and Figueroa (which cannot be seen) to the Harbor Freeway, part of which can be seen in the background. Camera appears to be situated on the south east corner of Olive and 4th Streets probably on the upper floors or roof of the Subway Building. Lovely curved staircase at center/bottom is from the now demolished Fremont Hotel. The $1,256,085 project is scheduled to be finished Jan. 1st, 1956. 135,400 cubic yards of dirt are in the process of being moved and work can be seen from the Harbor Freeway.

Sure thing, glad you enjoyed it. You're right - it's just a tiny sliver in comparison to all those who were displaced. Each one of them had a unique story. It's equally fascinating and saddening to think about. I've pondered on that exact photograph, and I actually posted it on NLA a while back, believe it or not. The saddest thing for me to see in this picture is the empty site where the Hildreth once stood. I heard an older couple had purchased the house in the 40's and had restored it, only to have it taken from them and demolished a few years later.

ethereal_reality Jun 19, 2014 1:12 AM

I hadn't heard of the Waldorf Cellar until I came across this souvenir photo/folder from the 1940s.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102.../841/tu5ye.jpg
ebay

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/850/rptl.jpg
ebay



-listed in the Los Angeles City Directory as late as 1956.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/819/lk0o.jpg
http://www.lapl.org/

___

Martin Pal Jun 19, 2014 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6622125)

At some point, after Dublin’s closed in this location it reopened, replacing the former Ciao Trattoria restaurant, on 7th Street in the 1926 Fine Arts building.

http://i1.wp.com/brighamyen.com/wp-c...3/img_1508.jpg
Brigham Yen

8240 Sunset Blvd. seems to have been a number of establishments, beginning possibly with the:

Colonial Drive-In
Hollywood Photographs has the Colonial Drive-In listed at 8240 Sunset Blvd. in a photo dated as 1936.

http://hollywoodphotographs.com/search/colonial/

But Chuckaluck had this post identifying the same Colonial Drive-In photo as c. 1933 and located at 6429 Sunset Blvd.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=16849

I just found this Herman J. Schultheis photo labeled 1938 from LAPL, with the 8240 address:

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00101/00101238.jpgLAPL

It was also the:

Marquis Restaurant
...noted in a post by ER and another by GW:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=21896

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6082

This is announcing the opening after a remodel in 1953:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8009/7...6fc3c3393b.jpgRichard Schave, Flickr

Here’s an interior shot:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8027/7...c7bd6eb1c7.jpg
http://onbunkerhill.org/manneats4

I wonder if George got a discount?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7088/7...43f6d948e6.jpgLAT

Newlyweds, 1959:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/7...7157fb97a7.jpgLAT

I’m not positive of the order, but after that it was the Mexican club/restaurant Carlos & Charlie's, Dublin's Irish Pub, and in the GSV view in ER’s post it is or was Sunset Beach.

Martin Pal Jun 19, 2014 4:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6623852)
I hadn't heard of the Waldorf Cellar until I came across this souvenir photo/folder from the 1940s.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/850/rptl.jpg
ebay___

I first thought that the sailor in the photo was a woman.

On the other hand, on Martin Turnbull's site he lists all sorts of places mentioned in Los Angeles that he's come across in books.

On page 60 of Sheila Graham's book The Garden of Allah, 1970, she talks about The Waldorf as a Gay bar…on a seedy stretch of Main Street…near Harold’s…since their glamour days as early as the 1930s, both bars had grown shabby.

In the book George Cukor: Double Life by Patrick McGilligan, Harper Perennial, 1991, on page 11 is a note about The Waldorf that says And if you looked at the downtown bars like the Waldorf, the Cellar, the 326 – it was so goddamned open.

The last one indicates the Waldorf and Cellar might be two different places? Anyway, it's interesting.

Otis Criblecoblis Jun 19, 2014 4:34 AM

Sunland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6623730)
The Shopping Bag 1960s (same location?)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/823/oiem.jpg


..and in living color.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/840/csfw.jpg
ebay

__

I think I can help provide a little context, or at least some verification, regarding this group of shots from Sunland. I grew up in North Glendale/La Crescenta, but Sunland was within my stomping grounds, and along one of my family's migratory routes.

First, I can confirm that although I don't recall the amusement park, from the surrounding areas shown in that group of pictures, that was almost certainly in Sunland Park, along the Foothill Blvd. side.

Second, I remember that Sunland sign just barely, although I would say it was gone most likely by 1966 or 1967, and definitely by 1970.

I remember the stretch of Foothill centering on the Shopping Bag strip mall very well. It was about a mile east of Sunland Park. We occasionally shopped at that Shopping Bag and Cornet, and I was actually in that Security Bank in the late Seventies when I worked for Security Pacific (not at that branch, but I was there for a work-related reason).

One last observation: there used to be a tiny stone house not very far west from where the color picture was taken that in 1979 served as a rehearsal hall for a band I was in. So this little stretch of Foothill is full of memories for me.

I hope this helps give some context for these pictures.

sadykadie2 Jun 19, 2014 4:46 AM

This is down the hill from Fashion Island in Newport Beach. I'm less than 10 minutes away. Crap! I'm not familiar enough with computers to know how to reply to a post where it shows up right below the post. I'm talking about the Boy Scout Jamboree picture posted by ER. Can someone give me a hand in my technical retardation?!

Martin Pal Jun 19, 2014 4:56 AM

I had an appointment in the Wilshire area near downtown today, so afterwards I decided to walk around a bit. I had not planned this so I had no camera or anything to take notes.

Wilshire is a veritable smorgasbord of buildings of various styles and periods all beside one another and that was a bit jarring at first, having looked at the Wilshire corridor through the eyes of this forum so much during the past year.

There were a few historic markers, with history and photos, of some buildings and where they had been, like the original Brown Derby at Alexandria. On that sign they fortunately didn't even mention that the hat & brim part was incorporated, they say, into the building nearby. Fortunately because it looks really awful. Across the street it was very bizarre not to see The Ambassador Hotel on the huge lot, though the new tenants have incorporated a small pedestrian park along the Blvd. which many people were taking advantage of today.

I walked east to The Talmadge apartments which had a historic marker and info, but the building was not receptive to visitors.

Gaylord Wilshire, I visited your namesake on the other side of the street, though! I was welcomed with open arms to look about the lobby which has many historical displays both in cabinets and on the walls. They had some photos of films being shot in there, but not the titles of them.

There was a guest register from 1926 and all sorts of keys, lamps, and the like. There were many photos of past residents, like Constance Bennett, who I had just seen in a film.

There were a lot of articles, too, but the lobby was very dimly lit and I wasn't able to read them very well. Even though I wasn't a resident, the man at the desk allowed me to go out to the pool area and walk around the outside garden and view things from there. It's a nice area, smaller than you might think, and very quiet compared to the Blvd. nearby.

I then wanted to visit the Bullocks Wilshire building which is now the Southwestern Law School. While walking around the building the gated parking lot in the back opened and I walked in back there to view the mural on the ceiling of the port cochere in the back. I'd seen it before, but it always makes me use the word stunning. Someone with a keycard let themselves in the back entrance and I walked in behind him, but the young security guard in an adjoining room called me to over and asked me what I wanted. Unless you're a student or employee you're not allowed in there so I was not able to walk around. He told me to call about the tour they give once a year, though, and he gave me a card. He told me he'd open the gate in the back to let me out, but allowed me to stay out there a few minutes before leaving.

As I walked across the adjacent street I smelled burning rubber and saw a great deal of smoke because a car burst in flames. Firetrucks and
ambulances started appearing.

Right there at, I think, 3500 Wilshire is a new building called The Vermont or The Vermont Wilshire. From across the street it looked rather bizarre to me, like it was crooked in two sections and had the appearance that it, or parts of it, was falling or something. Hard to explain, but it was unusual.

I decided to walk down to The Wiltern, at Western, before I had to go, for some more art deco viewing. The small lobby of the building was open, The Pellessier Bldg. and I went in to discover some really fine art deco features--the ceiling, lighting, furniture and the elevators. There was also a recessed area with some history and photos and that was a nice treat before leaving for the afternoon.

Lorendoc Jun 19, 2014 7:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis (Post 6624112)
I think I can help provide a little context, or at least some verification, regarding this group of shots from Sunland. I grew up in North Glendale/La Crescenta, but Sunland was within my stomping grounds, and along one of my family's migratory routes.

First, I can confirm that although I don't recall the amusement park, from the surrounding areas shown in that group of pictures, that was almost certainly in Sunland Park, along the Foothill Blvd. side.

Second, I remember that Sunland sign just barely, although I would say it was gone most likely by 1966 or 1967, and definitely by 1970.

...

One last observation: there used to be a tiny stone house not very far west from where the color picture was taken that in 1979 served as a rehearsal hall for a band I was in. So this little stretch of Foothill is full of memories for me.

I hope this helps give some context for these pictures.

Yes, Otis C., your memories give meaning to these mute pictures - thanks for sharing them!

ethereal_reality Jun 19, 2014 1:13 PM

:previous: I agree, thanks Otis C.

Martin P, I didn't realize Dublin's was in the old Marquis. How did I miss that!?
..and I'm surprised there wasn't an outcry when they tore it down.
I appreciate the information on the Waldorf Cellar too.


Quote:

Originally Posted by sadykadie2 (Post 6624122)
This is down the hill from Fashion Island in Newport Beach. I'm less than 10 minutes away. Crap! I'm not familiar enough with computers to know how to reply to a post where it shows up right below the post. I'm talking about the Boy Scout Jamboree picture posted by ER. Can someone give me a hand in my technical retardation?!

Hi sadykadie2. You just click on the quote tab at lower right. ---> ---v
__

ethereal_reality Jun 19, 2014 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 6624135)
I had an appointment in the Wilshire area near downtown today, so afterwards I decided to walk around a bit. I had not planned this so I had no camera or anything to take notes.

Wilshire is a veritable smorgasbord of buildings of various styles and periods all beside one another and that was a bit jarring at first, having looked at the Wilshire corridor through the eyes of this forum so much during the past year.

There were a few historic markers, with history and photos, of some buildings and where they had been, like the original Brown Derby at Alexandria. On that sign they fortunately didn't even mention that the hat & brim part was incorporated, they say, into the building nearby. Fortunately because it looks really awful. Across the street it was very bizarre not to see The Ambassador Hotel on the huge lot, though the new tenants have incorporated a small pedestrian park along the Blvd. which many people were taking advantage of today.

I walked east to The Talmadge apartments which had a historic marker and info, but the building was not receptive to visitors.

Gaylord Wilshire, I visited your namesake on the other side of the street, though! I was welcomed with open arms to look about the lobby which has many historical displays both in cabinets and on the walls. They had some photos of films being shot in there, but not the titles of them.

There was a guest register from 1926 and all sorts of keys, lamps, and the like. There were many photos of past residents, like Constance Bennett, who I had just seen in a film.

There were a lot of articles, too, but the lobby was very dimly lit and I wasn't able to read them very well. Even though I wasn't a resident, the man at the desk allowed me to go out to the pool area and walk around the outside garden and view things from there. It's a nice area, smaller than you might think, and very quiet compared to the Blvd. nearby.

I then wanted to visit the Bullocks Wilshire building which is now the Southwestern Law School. While walking around the building the gated parking lot in the back opened and I walked in back there to view the mural on the ceiling of the port cochere in the back. I'd seen it before, but it always makes me use the word stunning. Someone with a keycard let themselves in the back entrance and I walked in behind him, but the young security guard in an adjoining room called me to over and asked me what I wanted. Unless you're a student or employee you're not allowed in there so I was not able to walk around. He told me to call about the tour they give once a year, though, and he gave me a card. He told me he'd open the gate in the back to let me out, but allowed me to stay out there a few minutes before leaving.

As I walked across the adjacent street I smelled burning rubber and saw a great deal of smoke because a car burst in flames. Firetrucks and
ambulances started appearing.

Right there at, I think, 3500 Wilshire is a new building called The Vermont or The Vermont Wilshire. From across the street it looked rather bizarre to me, like it was crooked in two sections and had the appearance that it, or parts of it, was falling or something. Hard to explain, but it was unusual.

I decided to walk down to The Wiltern, at Western, before I had to go, for some more art deco viewing. The small lobby of the building was open, The Pellessier Bldg. and I went in to discover some really fine art deco features--the ceiling, lighting, furniture and the elevators. There was also a recessed area with some history and photos and that was a nice treat before leaving for the afternoon.

Interesting excursion Martin P.


Here are some Wilshire Blvd. shops from days gone by.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/843/fr62s.jpg
ebay


from this book published in 1948.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640.../843/usk43.jpg

__

HossC Jun 19, 2014 3:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 6609420)

The picture is dated 7/23/61. The caption says "Last old house on Hope Street wrecked the next day."

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...A231NHope2.jpg
Huntington Digital Library

You may remember this house at 231 N Hope which was discussed a couple of weeks ago. While I was looking through the HDL collection earlier I found this side view of the same house taken on the same day.
NB. I've tweaked the colors and cleaned up most of the dirt from the sky.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...A231NHope3.jpg
Huntington Digital Library

I hadn't realized how deep the house was when I only had front and rear views to go by. It looks like the house was extended several times.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...A231NHope4.jpg
Detail of picture above.

The owners must've felt they only needed to paint the front of the side wall because that's all that showed when the house next door was still standing - see Hoffman's picture below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoffman (Post 6609390)

There's another shot of the front of 231N. Hope on LAPL.
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics14/00026590.jpg
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics14/00026590.jpg


Engine54 Jun 19, 2014 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredH (Post 6622567)
I believe that this is the light fixture, mentioned in Engine54's video, which is now missing. I hope that they can somehow replace it.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...psda02b62b.jpg
USC Digital Library

And hey,Chin/Engine54 is REALLY good. I think that he would be great as the next Huell Howser. A perfect mixture of enthusiasm, knowledge, and likability.

Fred, that is the one. I like seeing this blow up of the light in this photo. The photo I took way back in 1994 shows that the bottom ornamental portion is missing. That light stayed in service until sometime in the early 2000's and then it was gone. I can tell you it was removed by the Bureau of Street Lighting and I suspect it has found its way back to their yard. Just a suspicion of mine because I saw a similar piece in their lighting collection. We've been working to get a replica put up, but because it's close enough to be consistently damaged, we don't think we'll get it. By the way, modern LED replicas that look great of these types of lights are now being installed all over L.A.

Thanks Fred for the compliment. The late Huell Howser is an inspiration for all of us who cover these kind of feature topics. If we could match him even 1/10th of the way, we'd be doing great!

Chin/E-54


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.