SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=170279)

ethereal_reality Jan 30, 2020 2:19 AM

RE: St. Athanasius Church
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mstimc (Post 8814537)

There was a small Episcopal church, St. Athanasius, where both my sisters were baptized.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/nYMqsv.jpg
old file

Mstimc, this could be the baptismal font used for your sisters' baptism.

.

Beaudry Jan 30, 2020 2:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8814688)
And here's another name new to NLA.


........................................................................DICKSHIRE

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/QXbtmr.jpg
eBay

The "U" Car Line. (?)



https://www.adsausage.com/library/im...dential-10.jpgadsausage
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e225d8d7_c.jpg844 S Westlake
(Must be owned by the same people. More gray paint and...pink fire escapes?)

Harris Dickerman, in 1925, built the eponymous and semi-eponymous Harris and Dickshire, using Arlos R. Sedgley as architect for both. Check out some Sedgley houses here including Dickerman's gorgeous home in Hancock Park.

Lwize Jan 30, 2020 3:35 AM

Were the U and N Car lines referring to the Red/Yellow car routes?

HenryHuntington Jan 30, 2020 4:22 AM

Yes, the N and U Lines were LARy (yellow car) routes:

http://www.erha.org/lary.htm

Mstimc Jan 30, 2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8815449)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/nYMqsv.jpg
old file

This could be the actual baptismal font used for your baptism.

.

Thank you E_R! I do remember thinking it was a cool (and slightly creepy-looking) building. I think by the time I saw it as a kid in the late 60's-early 70's, the trees and other plantings had grown up around it and gave it a haunted-house look.

By the time I came along in 1960, my parents had moved the family to Anaheim. I was baptized in St. Michael's Episcopal in Anaheim, an equally historic church built in 1876 in the New England Gothic style. It's still there!

ethereal_reality Jan 30, 2020 3:56 PM

Just listed on eBay.


Here's a remarkable postcard of "Highland Park showing N. Figueroa and 57th St. in 1916."

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/9yT7Kx.jpg

ASKING:...$125.00






Let's take a closer look.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/u8SU75.jpg

We've seen the impressive buildings down the street (shown at the bottom of this post) but I don't recall the unique building on the right with the thick brick columns.
I thought the building might have a portico/entrance (right edge of the pic) for automobiles but as you can see there's no cut in the curb.

Does anyone recognize this building?







As promised: The buildings down the street.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/Bo3Pw4.jpg[/URL]
LAPL

"Pasadena Avenue (later North Figueroa Street) in Highland Park. The Sunbeam Theater is on the left, and Highland Park Herald
newspaper office and Bank of Highland Park on the right."

ethereal_reality Jan 30, 2020 4:58 PM

When I first saw this Kodachrome 35mm slide I thought the name of the movie was some sort of a joke. . .perhaps a rather surreal 'play on words' for The Last Days of Pompeii. [1959]

Grauman's Chinese Theater, Hollywood California.....
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/2GnGDr.jpg
eBay

But I was wrong, The View from Pompey's Head is an actual movie made in 1955. :duh

Am I the only one who's never heard of this movie?

.

ethereal_reality Jan 30, 2020 5:38 PM

Here's another arrival on eBay.

Seller's description:...."CA California Hollywood Los Angeles City Town Aerial View 35 MM Slide Photo"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/ljKE4I.jpg
eBay

'mystery' vantage point.

I thought it might be fun to try and figure out where the photographer was located when he (or SHE) took this pic. of Hollywood. [late 1940s or early 1950s]

.

Arch2000 Jan 30, 2020 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8816054)
Here's another arrival on eBay.

Seller's description:...."CA California Hollywood Los Angeles City Town Aerial View 35 MM Slide Photo"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/ljKE4I.jpg
eBay

'mystery' vantage point.

I thought it might be fun to try and figure out where the photographer was located when he (or SHE) took this pic. of Hollywood. [late 1940s or early 1950s]

.

The clues are the building marked 'Ivar' in the mid ground, the bend in the road to its right, and in the distance the film vault building on Highland. Beyond that you can see Park La Brea in the distance so we are in Hollywood looking South-West.

I assume that the building with the "IVAR" is on Ivar street, and the bend is located between Selma and Sunset, so this photographer is likely on a building at Hollywood & Vine, looking SW.

Martin Pal Jan 30, 2020 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8815976)
When I first saw this Kodachrome 35mm slide I thought the name of the movie was some sort of a joke. . .perhaps a rather surreal 'play on words' for The Last Days of Pompeii. [1959]

Grauman's Chinese Theater, Hollywood California.....
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/2GnGDr.jpg
eBay

But I was wrong, The View from Pompey's Head is an actual movie made in 1955. :duh

Am I the only one who's never heard of this movie?

.
________________________________________________________________


Not the only one, I've never heard of it, either!

This film played at the Chinese Theatre for 6 weeks, Friday, November 4 to Thursday, December 15, 1955. The film starred Richard Egan and Dana Wynter. She won a Golden Globe for Most Promising Newcomer for this film! Coincidentally, I just watched an episode of 12 O'Clock High last night which guest starred the actress.

Martin Pal Jan 30, 2020 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8814974)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaudry (Post 8815460)


Noticing the Dickshire and Harris buildings have been earthquake retrofitted. One did a better job than the other in an aesthetic sense.

The Dickshire name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. (Nor does Engadine, seen recently, IMO.)

CityBoyDoug Jan 30, 2020 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8816260)
Noticing the Dickshire and Harris buildings have been earthquake retrofitted. One did a better job than the other in an aesthetic sense.

The contractors for earthquake retrofitting don't care about aesthetics. They have to drill through a wall where they can. There may be wires or pipes in their way. Oh well, they'll just drill a bit to the left or right. A lot of their work looks as if the drilling for rod placement was done by a drunk.

odinthor Jan 30, 2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8812929)
I believe this snapshot of a mystery location in Long Beach was taken by the same photographer that took the 'Blackstone' pics.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...924/H6Yqke.jpg
eBay

At first I thought the building might be a corner of a bustop. . .or a



Here's a closer look at the bottom portion.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...922/cIz2cq.jpg
detail

Any ideas? :shrug:

.

e_r, my suspicion is that the I at the top of the building is the end of the word DELI.

To me, the building at left has the feel of something adjacent to . . . a beach. Far from Long Beach, the closest I can come would be beyond Santa Monica, just NW of the corner of PCH and Chautauqua:

https://i.postimg.cc/h4zh4VH2/NWChau.jpg
gsv

. . . But there's no building now on the beach side of the street, and what would have been a service station on the other side is now a little plant nursery. But I'm not very convinced that I'm even within shouting distance of being correct . . . (except maybe about "DELI") . . .

CityBoyDoug Jan 31, 2020 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 8816507)
e_r, my suspicion is that the I at the top of the building is the end of the word DELI.

To me, the building at left has the feel of something adjacent to . . . a beach. Far from Long Beach, the closest I can come would be beyond Santa Monica, just NW of the corner of PCH and Chautauqua:

https://i.postimg.cc/h4zh4VH2/NWChau.jpg
gsv

. . . But there's no building now on the beach side of the street, and what would have been a service station on the other side is now a little plant nursery. But I'm not very convinced that I'm even within shouting distance of being correct . . . (except maybe about "DELI") . . .

That could be the same cliff, hard to tell. If so, there has been some serious erosion in the past 80 years.

HossC Jan 31, 2020 1:08 AM

:previous:

I think you're close, odinthor. I believe we're looking at the corner of the Lighthouse Restaurant in e_r's picture, with Carl's (possibly under construction) in the background. The rocks behind Carl's are a good match.

Zoom in at the link below the image - the stonework on the restaurant appears to match up to the left side of the original picture. BTW Going by the menu in e_r's photo, my guess is that the "...LI" is the end of "CHILI".

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/...estaurant1.jpg
USC Digital Library

Noir_Noir Jan 31, 2020 1:41 AM

:previous:


Ooh my word HossC! How do you do that? :multibow:

CityBoyDoug Jan 31, 2020 4:28 AM

....

https://librarynews.pepperdine.edu/w...se-624x215.jpg
private collection

Flyingwedge Jan 31, 2020 5:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8812929)


Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8816625)

I think you're close, odinthor. I believe we're looking at the corner of the Lighthouse Restaurant in e_r's picture, with Carl's (possibly under construction) in the background. The rocks behind Carl's are a good match.

Zoom in at the link below the image - the stonework on the restaurant appears to match up to the left side of the original picture. BTW Going by the menu in e_r's photo, my guess is that the "...LI" is the end of "CHILI".

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/...estaurant1.jpg
USC Digital Library


Great work, Hoss! This March 5, 1940, image shows the buildings under construction in e_r's photo look completed and the hillside behind appears to be a match,
the small rectangular gas station is there next to the highway, and the Lighthouse Restaurant is just across the road:

https://i1165.photobucket.com/albums...pse4qdgyvh.jpg

Flight C_6330, Frame 56 at UC Santa Barbara

Noir_Noir Jan 31, 2020 5:58 AM

:previous:

Carl's in a picture dated 1935.

https://i.imgur.com/VEq5QUh.jpg
smpl.org

Flyingwedge Jan 31, 2020 6:05 AM

More on E. R. Yundt home at 2965 St. Gregory Road, Chevy Chase, Glendale
 
Just one more tidbit about the Yundt residence, partially built of sandstone from the Los Angeles City Hall on Broadway . . . its architect
was Robert Hall Orr, who you can read about at the Pacific Coast Architecture Database.

https://i1165.photobucket.com/albums...pscax2acw1.jpg

June 2, 1929, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LA Public Library


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.