SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

esquire Mar 17, 2017 6:19 PM

Any word on what will happen with the existing store?

HomeInMyShoes Mar 17, 2017 6:31 PM

^An appearance in the Ugly Canada thread?

esquire Mar 17, 2017 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 7743605)
^An appearance in the Ugly Canada thread?

:haha:

I think all Costcos are honourary members of that thread.

jigglysquishy Mar 17, 2017 7:09 PM

Worst kept secret?

I expect it to open Q4 2017 so that the bypass is open first.

Stormer Mar 17, 2017 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7743656)
Worst kept secret?

I expect it to open Q4 2017 so that the bypass is open first.

You realize we are 2 weeks away form Q2 2017 right?

jigglysquishy Mar 17, 2017 7:52 PM

Yes. It's an easy build and they intend to start late Q2.

Everything I've heard is that they want to be open for Christmas.

Stormer Mar 17, 2017 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7743707)
Yes. It's an easy build and they intend to start late Q2.

Everything I've heard is that they want to be open for Christmas.

I guess you are right. They got Saskatoon's open on Nov.10 with a similar time line. Pretty amazing. I guess stocking shelves is a lot quicker.

yveseluj Mar 17, 2017 9:16 PM

Chad Novak, heh.

Anyways, this has been the worst kept secret. Wonder how far away Regina is from getting a second Costco now that Saskatoon has gotten its second.

brithgob Mar 17, 2017 9:19 PM

It's literally a big box. I assume with a Costco there are fewer fixtures to assemble than a typical supermarket/discount store.

Cyro Mar 17, 2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaskTaxpayers (Post 7743571)
If this has already been posted elsewhere, please remove or merge. I had thought it was already publicly announced, but based on the way the post has gone viral over the past 72 hours, it is my assumption that this is to be treated as breaking news.

Yeah, more of a retail related addition to a larger project, but if it's big news in Regina we can let it ride in a separate thread rather than the Regina Retail Thread.

..welcome to the forum..

djforsberg Mar 17, 2017 11:47 PM

Speculation on what the small, slightly detached building on the north side of the store could be? Liquor store perhaps? Can't think of anything else.

SkydivePilot Mar 18, 2017 12:40 AM

I wonder what the chances are of having a small IKEA placed in there somewhere.

pappcam Mar 18, 2017 2:10 AM

That link to Chad Novak's facebook page is a nice touch.

I really don't think a relocation of Costco needs its own thread separate from the Regina Retail thread.

BrutallyDishonest2 Mar 18, 2017 2:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 7744057)
That link to Chad Novak's facebook page is a nice touch.

I really don't think a relocation of Costco needs its own thread separate from the Regina Retail thread.

That's because Chad posted it...

And no, it really doesn't.

SaskTaxpayers Mar 18, 2017 3:34 AM

Like I said, didn't realize it wasn't publicly announced already. New to the Forum, and wasn't sure of the procedural practice here. Been visiting occasionally, but thought this was worthy of discussion. Feel free to merge it into the Regina retail if you see fit.

As for other buildings in that development, really not sure. I know the theatre has been formally announced, but I think that was the only official announcement made. As for a second Costco, it's my understanding that this won't happen in the forseeable future, unfortunately. I agree that we needed a better location for this Costco, so it's good to see this, but it would have been nice to see a second one built first in another area of the City, rather than build a much larger one further East.

With that said, I'm confident that we will get a second one someday, given that Saskatoon is pretty identical in population and retail sales. Just give it some time. My money is on an area by the GTH/Westerra.

pappcam Mar 18, 2017 3:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7744063)
That's because Chad posted it...

And no, it really doesn't.

Yeah, I know it was Novak but the link just went straight to the top of his facebook page and not even to the story on his facebook page.

jigglysquishy Mar 18, 2017 3:55 AM

The second Costco is more or less guaranteed to be in Coopertown

SaskTaxpayers Mar 18, 2017 5:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 7744122)
Yeah, I know it was Novak but the link just went straight to the top of his facebook page and not even to the story on his facebook page.

Honestly, human error. Link fixed.

Drofmab Mar 18, 2017 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 7743941)
Speculation on what the small, slightly detached building on the north side of the store could be? Liquor store perhaps? Can't think of anything else.

It may just be a sketchup of the garden centre. I'm not certain from the drawing that it's an actual building.

When/where was that poster that SaskTaxpayers linked to displayed? It's weird that it includes Costco, but not Landmark Cinemas... but the Aurora website/brochure currently includes Landmark Cinemas, but not Costco.

StealthGirl Mar 18, 2017 5:18 PM

That leaves a very large space where the current store is. I assume it will close when the new one opens. Odd they just added the gas station a couple of years ago and now it will no doubt sit brownfield because our council is so wishy washy about letting gas stations walk away before cleaning up.