SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

cityboy Jan 30, 2020 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 8815988)
La Senza is not paying their bills so suppliers are trying to push them into bankruptcy. No word on if it will work yet or how stores will be affected. Only 114 (of 340) stores are in Canada. With stores in Cornwall and Southland, have to think those malls are hoping this doesn't get worse.

Didn't they just close the Northgate store? Perhaps one or both of the others are not far off.

bourbonandbranch Jan 30, 2020 10:10 PM

I think Northgate (and Saskatoon Midtown) LaSenza locations were closed as leases expired, and the decisions were likely made late in 2019 to do so. From some other businesses I've heard rent demands from the malls have been climbing as old leases expire.

Doesn't mean they didn't make the decisions to close these stores without the threat of being pushed into bankrupcy by suppliers being a factor, but don't think it was a direct cause.

Festivus Jan 30, 2020 10:39 PM

Pretty soon the only stores left will be Dollarama, Amazon.ca, and for some inexplicable reason, The Source.

Stormer Jan 31, 2020 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8816490)
Pretty soon the only stores left will be Dollarama, Amazon.ca, and for some inexplicable reason, The Source.

Liquor and weed stores are still proliferating. ;)

HomeInMyShoes Jan 31, 2020 3:58 PM

Don't forget Payday Loans, vape shops and questionable massage parlours.

Stormer Jan 31, 2020 6:39 PM

I looked at the SLGA rules on retail permits and Regina is eligible for about 30 based on a population of 200,000. This does not include the RM or White City, etc.

Draftsman Feb 4, 2020 9:38 PM

A few things I noticed today on the east side. I haven't been out that way in several months:

There is a building foundation starting, in-between Costco and Landmark Cinemas. I checked the Aurora web page and see that it is for a new Caraway Grill. Good to see them opening a new and bigger location.
I also noticed that Staples is 'coming soon' so I guess they will be relocating. Has anyone heard if there has been any interest in the former Costco site (and the soon-to-be-vacated Staples)? That's a big chunk of property.
Anything happening with the former Sears Home store?
I noticed the signs are up on the former Leader-Post building for Sky Park. Their web site is under construction but it does indicate go-karts, mini-golf, rock climbing wall, and a high ropes course. Sounds like fun.
And I noticed the new A&W on Vic near Arcold is open.
It's nice to see new things even if the economy is hurting.

StealthGirl Feb 5, 2020 4:28 PM

Auto Gallery had apparently bought the old Costco site last summer and was planning t remediate the gas bar. That's why it couldn't be a Rider Express location. That said, I haven't seen any action there at all. If Staples goes, that is a huge open block of land.

Festivus Feb 5, 2020 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 8820894)
A few things I noticed today on the east side. I haven't been out that way in several months:

There is a building foundation starting, in-between Costco and Landmark Cinemas. I checked the Aurora web page and see that it is for a new Caraway Grill. Good to see them opening a new and bigger location.
I also noticed that Staples is 'coming soon' so I guess they will be relocating. Has anyone heard if there has been any interest in the former Costco site (and the soon-to-be-vacated Staples)? That's a big chunk of property.
Anything happening with the former Sears Home store?
I noticed the signs are up on the former Leader-Post building for Sky Park. Their web site is under construction but it does indicate go-karts, mini-golf, rock climbing wall, and a high ropes course. Sounds like fun.
And I noticed the new A&W on Vic near Arcold is open.
It's nice to see new things even if the economy is hurting.

Whoa, whoa, is Caraway moving, or opening a second location? If it's a move, that will be a big hit for the downtown area.

StealthGirl Feb 5, 2020 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8821861)
Whoa, whoa, is Caraway moving, or opening a second location? If it's a move, that will be a big hit for the downtown area.

Second location according to their facebook page on Jan 27. Opening in the fall.

https://www.facebook.com/carawaygrill/

Festivus Feb 5, 2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 8822070)
Second location according to their facebook page on Jan 27. Opening in the fall.

https://www.facebook.com/carawaygrill/

That's great news, thanks!

BrannyMuffin Feb 6, 2020 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 8822070)
Second location according to their facebook page on Jan 27. Opening in the fall.

https://www.facebook.com/carawaygrill/

Oh thank goodness, I was concerned for a minute! Haha.

Kegger Feb 7, 2020 5:48 PM

A good article on the state of malls within Regina.

https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatch...big-city-malls

Nathan Feb 7, 2020 7:04 PM

Good old Cathedral....

There was an open house about the 13th Sobeys Liquor store and people don't want the corporate store... A better use of the land would be mixed use with residential on top...

Meanwhile over at Elphinstone, that exact kind of proposal was fought because it's right across from a school, and 13th is no place for a multi-storey building. Maybe if another vape store sets up shop at 13th and Retallack they'll be satisfied. :shrug:

Kegger Feb 7, 2020 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 8824438)
Good old Cathedral....

There was an open house about the 13th Sobeys Liquor store and people don't want the corporate store... A better use of the land would be mixed use with residential on top...

Meanwhile over at Elphinstone, that exact kind of proposal was fought because it's right across from a school, and 13th is no place for a multi-storey building. Maybe if another vape store sets up shop at 13th and Retallack they'll be satisfied. :shrug:

I totally understand people in that area having pride in its unique nature, and not wanting development to ruin the character.

However they also remind me of Uncle Eddie in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Living in a trailer unemployed but... holding out for a management position. The lot has been empty for 30 years, you can't wait forever for the "perfect" development. And if you really want the perfect development so badly, pool your money together and develop it yourself.

Rodo Regina Lover Feb 7, 2020 9:10 PM

Soooo true I live in this community and have for a few decades, live right across from the development proposed at 13th & Elphinstone which I was totally in favour of, but this community does nothing but BITCH BITCH about any new development! Stunning new school to replace the crumbling Connaught School? NO NO we can't have that in our community! Now there are out in full force again, a liquor store on 13th Ave? NO NO we can't have that in our community! People take a good honest look at 13th Ave besides the new Safeway ( yes they bitched about too) which actually just replaced an existing one, there has been no new development on this ave. in DECADES !! So please give it a rest as all your complaining does NOTHING to encourage any developer from coming any where near the Cathedral area with any exciting new plans.

pappcam Feb 7, 2020 9:23 PM

Nothing will ever surprise me about Cathedral residents.

Draftsman Feb 7, 2020 9:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodo Regina Lover (Post 8824652)
Soooo true I live in this community and have for a few decades, live right across from the development proposed at 13th & Elphinstone which I was totally in favour of, but this community does nothing but BITCH BITCH about any new development! Stunning new school to replace the crumbling Connaught School? NO NO we can't have that in our community! Now there are out in full force again, a liquor store on 13th Ave? NO NO we can't have that in our community! People take a good honest look at 13th Ave besides the new Safeway ( yes they bitched about too) which actually just replaced an existing one, there has been no new development on this ave. in DECADES !! So please give it a rest as all your complaining does NOTHING to encourage any developer from coming any where near the Cathedral area with any exciting new plans.

You are absolutely right. And those NIMBY's now love the new school and they all shop at Safeway, and I am sure they will shop at Sobey's liquor too. Bunch of hippocrates.

Cathedral's old buildings are like the proverbial lipstick on the pig. The pig being the old buildings and the murals being the lipstick.

HomeInMyShoes Feb 7, 2020 10:05 PM

I'm hopeful they take the Elphinstone and 13th proposal and put it on Hill Avenue where the repair shop was. I'd love it here.

Drofmab Feb 7, 2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 8824741)
You are absolutely right. And those NIMBY's now love the new school and they all shop at Safeway, and I am sure they will shop at Sobey's liquor too. Bunch of hippocrates.

Cathedral's old buildings are like the proverbial lipstick on the pig. The pig being the old buildings and the murals being the lipstick.

Every city has its own neighbourhood like this, and they seem to attract a unique sort of NIMBY. In Ottawa it was the Glebe residents freaking out about development of Lansdowne Park - rebuilding the condemned half of the Stadium, along with condos, restaurants, shopping, etc. Residents freaked out! Guess what? the area is as alive, or more now. And I know some of the NIMBYs who now absolutely love the development, and the associated civic infrastructure spending that came with it. They'll still grumble a bit - but they take full use of the Whole Foods, and festivals, and restaurants that arrived on an otherwise dead parcel of land (essentially their version of our Exhibition grounds, before the Stadium, soccer pitches, and rinks... which were more or less unused for vast periods of the year, and falling into terrible disrepair).

The development absolutely increased every Glebe resident's property value. Significantly.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.