SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

Treesplease Apr 3, 2017 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 7759509)
Which cities are those? Where do the big box stores go? Big box stores are not going away anytime soon.

Where do you propose this to happen in Regina?

I don't know if this is what Festivus was talking about but online is/will be a kick in the pants for big box retail.

pappcam Apr 3, 2017 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7760745)
I think Homer is talking about minimum parking requirements. Regina has minimum requirements well above many progressive cities - and it's obvious. Other than peak days, most of these big box lots are 1/2 at best.

Of course, many of the cities we might compare against, have better transportation infrastructure (a transit system that is actually used by a reasonable portion of the population; ride-sharing; readily-available taxis & ride-sharing), and some walkable neighbourhoods with big boxes integrated into residential developments (think of the Costco & Home Depot in downtown Vancouver). So, at this point, we're comparing apples to oranges.

I'm assuming these "progressive" cities also have geographical constraints forcing the urban renewal.

Apples to oranges indeed.

jigglysquishy Apr 3, 2017 4:35 PM

Calgary has gone full speed on infill and they don't have geographic constraints.

pappcam Apr 3, 2017 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7760767)
Calgary has gone full speed on infill and they don't have geographic constraints.

Interesting. When I drive through there I see urban sprawl up the ying yang.

Stormer Apr 3, 2017 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 7759509)
Which cities are those? Where do the big box stores go? Big box stores are not going away anytime soon.

Where do you propose this to happen in Regina?

Even Regina and Saskatoon are focussed on infill. It is not about land availability. It is about infrastructure costs and long term servicing cost of that infrastructure. A perfect example is people complaining in Whitmore park about having to contribute to the cost of replacing the 75' long sidewalk in front of their house. You also have the maintenance of streets, sewers, waterlines, street lights, hydrants and fire and police service to a larger than needed area. It is simply unsustainable to continue this practice with our cost structure in Canada, until robots take over the work.

Stormer Apr 3, 2017 8:29 PM

New Costco to be 23% larger than existing. Crazy innovative architecture:
:haha:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...psqmzrlhnd.jpg

jigglysquishy Apr 3, 2017 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7760930)
Even Regina and Saskatoon are focussed on infill. It is not about land availability. It is about infrastructure costs and long term servicing cost of that infrastructure. A perfect example is people complaining in Whitmore park about having to contribute to the cost of replacing the 75' long sidewalk in front of their house. You also have the maintenance of streets, sewers, waterlines, street lights, hydrants and fire and police service to a larger than needed area. It is simply unsustainable to continue this practice with our cost structure in Canada, until robots take over the work.

Even look at new neighborhoods like Greens on Gardiner. It's the most urban neighborhood built in the past 60 years. The City learned from their mistakes and are forcing density into new areas.

Canterbury Gardens is another example of something that would have never been built 20 years ago.

Scruff Bucket Apr 3, 2017 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7761135)
New Costco to be 23% larger than existing. Crazy innovative architecture:
:haha:

Nice find, Stormer! I hope they include more cashier lanes and/or some thing/procedure to increase throughput. Costco and Real Canadian Superstore seem to be our staples! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidson (Post 7759216)
I thought I read somewhere that big box developments like this with giant parking lots were going out of style? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 7759280)
They are...just not in Regina. We are about 10-20 years behind the times on pretty much every city-design front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7760745)
I think Homer is talking about minimum parking requirements. Regina has minimum requirements well above many progressive cities - and it's obvious. Other than peak days, most of these big box lots are 1/2 at best.

Of course, many of the cities we might compare against, have better transportation infrastructure (a transit system that is actually used by a reasonable portion of the population; ride-sharing; readily-available taxis & ride-sharing), and some walkable neighbourhoods with big boxes integrated into residential developments (think of the Costco & Home Depot in downtown Vancouver). So, at this point, we're comparing apples to oranges.

Regina is still physically small enough, that changing peoples' preference from driving (and thus, parking) to using a public transportation system probably won't happen for some time! Likewise, new big box store developments with large parking lots may also be part of Regina's future for a while.

Many walkable, downtown Vancouver neighbourhoods actually do have pretty heavy, vehicular traffic, wherever not purposefully restricted -- large metropolitan centres will always have significant, vehicular traffic no matter how well-utilized public transportation is! -- with a lot of the traffics' non-through vehicles requiring parking spaces. Vancouver's various, downtown community planners over the years have just been good at increasing density of parking spaces and/or hiding them. A lot of the places downtown or near downtown, like Home Depot, Save-On foods, Canadian Tire, Best Buy, Whole Foods, Costco, London Drugs, Winners/Homesense, and shopping malls, restaurants, hotels and even the convention centre, Canada Place, and including large condo towers, etc., have or share good-sized, multi-leveled, metred, public, parking garage structures either above ground or underground (majority).

Also, many suburban big box stores in Vancouver will include covered, multi-leveled parking garages, like Real Canadian Superstore, IKEA, some T and T supermarkets! And we notice they are pretty filled whenever we visit these locations! (When we go there (or pretty much anywhere), we drive, toting our 3 kids along!) :)

Drofmab Apr 3, 2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket (Post 7761218)
Likewise, new big box store developments with large parking lots may also be part of Regina's future for a while.

I agree.

Quote:

Also, many suburban big box stores in Vancouver will include covered, multi-leveled parking garages, like Real Canadian Superstore, IKEA, some T and T supermarkets! And we notice they are pretty filled whenever we visit these locations!

I think this is what bothers me about Regina... the parking lots are needlessly large. And in most cases, it's not the developers begging for bigger lots, it's the City requiring them... while at the same time trying to encourage density & transit usage.

Let's meet in the middle by requiring smaller parking lots - this won't force people to use anything other than their individual vehicles, but it also won't leave us with vast unused parking lots. True, we'll need to suck up a handful of days annually that the lot won't be big enough/people have to circle one more time to find a spot. Other than Costco, I'd guess peak weekly lot usage for WalMarts, Superstores, Home Depot, Lowes, various shopping centres, etc is 75%. Average use is probably closer to 50%. Around Christmas we might see a sustained usage of 70%, peaking near 95%.

No need to build for peak usage...if that were the test, streets around Mosaic would be 4-5 lanes wide each direction to allow for the short burst of pre/post-Rider game traffic flow.

Stormer Apr 3, 2017 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=Scruff Bucket;7761218]Nice find, Stormer! I hope they include more cashier lanes and/or some thing/procedure to increase throughput. Costco and Real Canadian Superstore seem to be our staples! :)

17 by my count. Not sure how many are in the current one.

StealthGirl Apr 3, 2017 10:25 PM

The Costco goes before the city planning commission on Wednesday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjme
The proposal includes 14,600 square metres of floor space. Space for office, warehousing, food services, a gas bar and vehicle repair shop would be included as well.

Drivers would be able to access the new building through four different entrances with parking space of more than 860 spots.

http://cjme.com/article/1218587/regi...ers-new-costco

BrutallyDishonest2 Apr 3, 2017 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=Stormer;7761290]
Quote:

Nice find, Stormer! I hope they include more cashier lanes and/or some thing/procedure to increase throughput. Costco and Real Canadian Superstore seem to be our staples! :)

17 by my count. Not sure how many are in the current one.

I don't think it matters. It'll continue to be the suburban fustercluck it always was.

saskdave Apr 3, 2017 10:46 PM

Various updates

Updates from the Home and Garden Show:

Westerra guys say they have 5 additional retail (including a grocery store) committed and are letting each retailer announce when they are ready. This is in addition to the co-op gas bar and hotels.

Cooperstown - Plans back at the Planning Commission as they would like to proceed this fall. They have no confirmed retail but would also like a grocery store. They have expanded the long-term footprint all the way to the bypass now.

Costco - Plans at the Regina Planning commission.

As an aside, Dilawri guys this morning said they have purchased the old Sears call centre site. But they didn't know what the plans are. The said plans are underway for the parking lot across the street from the old Sears to be developed into a BMW, LandRover and Jaguar dealership(s).

dave

StealthGirl Apr 4, 2017 12:09 AM

Is there really that much demand to start building Coopertown? I though the economy was slowing some and there was less selling.

I would think Save-on has to be looking at some of those new developments as they are rumoured to want to expand their number in the city.

jigglysquishy Apr 4, 2017 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 7761436)
Is there really that much demand to start building Coopertown? I though the economy was slowing some and there was less selling.

I would think Save-on has to be looking at some of those new developments as they are rumoured to want to expand their number in the city.

It's really the future of Regina for the next 20 years ago I understand people being eager to start. For all the talk of a slowdown the City still grew by over 4000 last year.

Harbour Landing is gonna finish this year and the Greens next year so Westerra/The Towns/Coopertown will see a huge push in the next little bit.

Stormer Apr 4, 2017 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskdave (Post 7761337)
Updates from the Home and Garden Show:

Westerra guys say they have 5 additional retail (including a grocery store) committed and are letting each retailer announce when they are ready. This is in addition to the co-op gas bar and hotels.

Cooperstown - Plans back at the Planning Commission as they would like to proceed this fall. They have no confirmed retail but would also like a grocery store. They have expanded the long-term footprint all the way to the bypass now.

Costco - Plans at the Regina Planning commission.

As an aside, Dilawri guys this morning said they have purchased the old Sears call centre site. But they didn't know what the plans are. The said plans are underway for the parking lot across the street from the old Sears to be developed into a BMW, LandRover and Jaguar dealership(s).

dave

The Cooperstown OCP is up at the RPC also. It envisions an urban centre (mini downtown) and 36,000 residents.

The new dealership is big news if true. At least 2 other dealership groups have tried to get a Rover/Jag dealer in recent years.

2 previous plans Dilawri had for Sears across the street appear to have fallen through.

Drofmab Apr 5, 2017 4:11 PM

Cornwall has all of the areas slated for major reno (primarily for H&M) walled off... except for Tim's. A little more than half of the seating area between Tims & Zam Zam has been enclosed & the seats relocated to the area in front of MAC (former Bentley).

Really gives you a sense of the scale of H&M. I realize there are a couple small stores in this area, as well as the walkway leading to the new pedway - but it's still a very large space.

That area is going to feel very weird for the next while - especially so once Tim's moves. Anyone heard a timeline on getting the new pedway in? Once that's in place, they should be able to work on H&M as one continuous space, not the disjointed spaces they're working in right now.

one_brick_at_a_time Apr 6, 2017 6:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7763242)
Cornwall has all of the areas slated for major reno (primarily for H&M) walled off... except for Tim's. A little more than half of the seating area between Tims & Zam Zam has been enclosed & the seats relocated to the area in front of MAC (former Bentley).

Really gives you a sense of the scale of H&M. I realize there are a couple small stores in this area, as well as the walkway leading to the new pedway - but it's still a very large space.

That area is going to feel very weird for the next while - especially so once Tim's moves. Anyone heard a timeline on getting the new pedway in? Once that's in place, they should be able to work on H&M as one continuous space, not the disjointed spaces they're working in right now.

Such a crucial development for the mall and a huge anchor for that side which is going to do wonders for mall traffic and for downtown visitors as well. So happy about this!

Stormer Apr 6, 2017 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7764110)
Such a crucial development for the mall and a huge anchor for that side which is going to do wonders for mall traffic and for downtown visitors as well. So happy about this!

It should look very "big city". Two big international retailers with street frontage on either side on the entrance.

A4Regina Apr 6, 2017 6:00 PM

I'm hoping Sears will downsize/move out in the next couple of years. It should open up a lot of space for new retailers, and give cornwall opportunity to spruce up the sask dr/hamilton sides of the mall.