SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

Martin Pal Nov 16, 2020 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl Boebert (Post 9106929)
According to George Geary's "L.A.'s Legendary Restaurants," (highly recommended) the ingredients in the Hollywood Brown Derby Cobb Salad were iceberg and romaine lettuce, chicory, tomatoes, chicken breast, bacon, avocado, hard boiled eggs, chopped chives, and crumbled Roquefort cheese, arranged in strips on a plate and then tossed by the waiter at tableside.

The salad was dressed with Brown Derby French Dressing, reconstructed by Geary (almost all the recipes in the book are reconstructions) as:

3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3/4 tsp salt
1 clove garlic
1 cup olive oil and 1 cup canola oil

Puree everything but the oil in a blender, then drizzle in the oils to emulsify.
I've made it and it's really good.
Cheers,
Earl
_________________________________________________________________


In the 1996 book, The Brown Derby Restaurant (Sally Wright Cobb), the recipe for the Cobb salad ingredients also included "1 Bunch Watercress".

The recipe for "Cobb's Old Fashioned French Dressing" varies slightly here and there from the one you posted. (Mostly in amounts.) I put the differences from yours in parentheses.

(1) 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
(1) 1/4 cup water
(1) 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
(juice of one lemon) 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
(1) 1 tsp sugar
(1 tbsp) 1 tsp black pepper
(1 tbsp dry English Mustard) 1 tsp Dijon mustard
(1 tbsp) 3/4 tsp salt
(1) 1 clove garlic (minced)
(1) 1 cup olive oil
(3 cups salad oil) 1 cup canola oil

...for what it's worth.

Lots of food talk lately! Are we all hungry? Or hungry for going to restaurants!

transitfan Nov 16, 2020 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla (Post 9107713)
more images of same structure >> https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=6276



Undated image, probably late ~ '90s. Wilshire and Fairfax looking south.
https://thefader-res.cloudinary.com/...e-was-shot.jpg


:previous: From article discussing the late Biggie Smalls who died in '97. https://www.thefader.com/2011/05/25/...-biggie-smalls

The picture was taken later than the late 90s. The MTA (Metro) bus is in the "Metro Local" color scheme, which wasn't introduced until around 2004/2005.

DanVenture Nov 17, 2020 2:58 AM

Greetings! Greetings!
 
It has taken me a little over two years, but I finally have read all the posts on Noirish LA. What a delight it has been.

You guys are some of the most passionate posters on any website. What magicians conjuring up the address or locale of even the most obscure photos! I can hardly wait for what come's next this week.

Thanks all! Dan

CityBoyDoug Nov 17, 2020 3:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVenture (Post 9108385)
It has taken me a little over two years, but I finally have read all the posts on Noirish LA. What a delight it has been.

You guys are some of the most passionate posters on any website. What magicians conjuring up the address or locale of even the most obscure photos! I can hardly wait for what come's next this week.

Thanks all! Dan

Welcome Dan to NLA. Lots of cool people here and most of them are like living history books.

CityBoyDoug Nov 17, 2020 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9107761)
In the 1996 book, The Brown Derby Restaurant (Sally Wright Cobb), the recipe for the Cobb salad ingredients also included "1 Bunch Watercress".

The recipe for "Cobb's Old Fashioned French Dressing" varies slightly here and there from the one you posted. (Mostly in amounts.) I put the differences from yours in parentheses.

(1) 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
(1) 1/4 cup water
(1) 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
(juice of one lemon) 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
(1) 1 tsp sugar
(1 tbsp) 1 tsp black pepper
(1 tbsp dry English Mustard) 1 tsp Dijon mustard
(1 tbsp) 3/4 tsp salt
(1) 1 clove garlic (minced)
(1) 1 cup olive oil
(3 cups salad oil) 1 cup canola oil

...for what it's worth.

Lots of food talk lately! Are we all hungry? Or hungry for going to restaurants!

Watercress? Harder to find these days as the farm field must have continuous running water to grow watercress.

Raw watercress has a peppery taste, similar to other related plants like mustard and wasabi. Once cooked the pepperiness of watercress diminishes, leaving a distinctive vegetable flavour which tastes delicious in soups, stews and stir fries. More mature watercress can sometimes taste slightly bitter. Its an acquired taste.....you either like or don't.

CaliNative Nov 17, 2020 8:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 9107305)
I first had a Tommy's with a friend in the 1970s, at about 2 am at their flagship location near Rampart. Boy, was it good and I had never heard of it before.
Fortunately the meat part has stayed fairly good quality since then. Its not the best imo but its acceptable. Yes, the chili is their hallmark.
Hamburger Hamlet, now defunct, save for one, had better but then that was an upscale place.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-I9JLJfj05...35130_free.jpg
HH

I wonder why Hamburger Hamlet failed? They had really good burgers. Maybe people associated burgers with a more casual dining experience and fastfood takeout, rather than a sit-down place. I used to go to the HHs in Sherman Oaks and Westwood when I was at UCLA. Is Westwood the surviving one? Junior's deli on Westwood Blvd south of Wilshire was quite good, but a notch below Canter's and Langer's probably.

CaliNative Nov 17, 2020 8:32 AM

Panda Express. A guilty pleasure. Popeye's chicken sandwich. Even more guilty pleasure. I'm sure they will triple your cholesterol, but they are good.

CaliNative Nov 17, 2020 8:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 9107305)
I first had a Tommy's with a friend in the 1970s, at about 2 am at their flagship location near Rampart. Boy, was it good and I had never heard of it before.
Fortunately the meat part has stayed fairly good quality since then. Its not the best imo but its acceptable. Yes, the chili is their hallmark.
Hamburger Hamlet, now defunct, save for one, had better but then that was an upscale place.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-I9JLJfj05...35130_free.jpg
HH

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVenture (Post 9108385)
It has taken me a little over two years, but I finally have read all the posts on Noirish LA. What a delight it has been.

You guys are some of the most passionate posters on any website. What magicians conjuring up the address or locale of even the most obscure photos! I can hardly wait for what come's next this week.

Thanks all! Dan

I think a hundred years from now, people will still be reading it. Some of these posts will be immortal.

unihikid Nov 17, 2020 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9108504)
I wonder why Hamburger Hamlet failed? They had really good burgers. Maybe people associated burgers with a more casual dining experience and fastfood takeout, rather than a sit-down place. I used to go to the HHs in Sherman Oaks and Westwood when I was at UCLA. Is Westwood the surviving one? Junior's deli on Westwood Blvd south of Wilshire was quite good, but a notch below Canter's and Langer's probably.

Cali, you got it right about Junior's! I remember in the late 90's i was coming home from school and decided to check it out, i sat down and it took forever for service, the prices were sky high ( 10 bucks for a corned beef sandwich with no side), and on top of that everything was tasteless. Even the cookies were eh.

Bristolian Nov 17, 2020 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unihikid (Post 9107026)
I have to say Tomboys is my go to, i go to both locations at least once a week. The best fries in the South Bay hands down.

Since we're still on cholesterol talk, have you tried the fries at Burger City Grill on Artesia? Also, Five Guys who have a few locations in the South Bay, have to be considered for that honor.

unihikid Nov 17, 2020 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristolian (Post 9108835)
Since we're still on cholesterol talk, have you tried the fries at Burger City Grill on Artesia? Also, Five Guys who have a few locations in the South Bay, have to be considered for that honor.

Not yet, i will give them a shot. I just tried Rods on Artesia, it was ok...pretty much on par with any of the "Tom's", and also before they closed Louis Burger also on Artesia. It was the best for the value.

CityBoyDoug Nov 18, 2020 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9108504)
I wonder why Hamburger Hamlet failed? They had really good burgers. Maybe people associated burgers with a more casual dining experience and fastfood takeout, rather than a sit-down place. I used to go to the HHs in Sherman Oaks and Westwood when I was at UCLA. Is Westwood the surviving one? Junior's deli on Westwood Blvd south of Wilshire was quite good, but a notch below Canter's and Langer's probably.

As for the demise of HH.....LA has a history of when the original owners of a family-owned restaurant pass on, their restaurants have no effective management.

HH was created as an upscale quality burger place for the Hollywood crowd. But does that scene and price work in Pasadena? The Recession era of the 1970s didn't help.

ethereal_reality Nov 18, 2020 1:35 AM

.
Welcome to noirish Los Angeles, DanVenture!

mystery location / somewhere in the Westchester area.


"Original 1950s 35mm Kodachrome Slide - Los Angeles Westchester district BBQ stand."


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/iB6tEG.jpg
eBay / found a few weeks ago.




Here's a closer look at the sign.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/lH0pvR.jpg
detail

If we figure out the name we might be able to find the address.



.

ethereal_reality Nov 18, 2020 3:11 AM

.
Here's one more slide for tonight.


"Antique Magic Lantern Glass Slide Vintage Downtown Los Angeles Street Scene"


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/WirG8w.jpg
eBay


The seller's description leaves out a lot of information. We're looking east on 5th Street towards the old Central Station (demolished).
We get a glimpse of the Hotel Orbis in the distance on the left. The little girl is cute as a button.


I'm not 100% sure of the cross street immediately in front of the photographer but there's a clue. . .


. . .this is written on the right side of the frame.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/Xy8eRC.jpg
detail


It looks like it says 5th and. . .Towne?






A closer look at the Hotel Orbis*

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/nKZcRs.jpg
detail

Go Here to see an exceptional view of Southern Pacific's Central Station.

More at wikipedia



* oops. It's Hotel Morris......:duh


.

Mackerm Nov 18, 2020 4:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9109478)
mystery location / somewhere in the Westchester area.


"Original 1950s 35mm Kodachrome Slide - Los Angeles Westchester district BBQ stand."


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/iB6tEG.jpg
eBay / found a few weeks ago.

It looks like the street sign says La Tijera and Airport (Can't make out the address number on the restaurant.)
https://i.postimg.cc/Px2vyjFN/Airport-La-Tijera.jpg
Google Street View

This is looking west from the intersection of La Tijera and Airport. The stairs seem to match the ones in the photo, and the house above them is consistent.

ethereal_reality Nov 18, 2020 6:16 AM

.
:previous: Good eye, Mackerm. :)..........I was like, "Steps? What steps?"

.

CaliNative Nov 18, 2020 7:19 AM

Since we are on the subject of food, anybody remember the Chris & Pitts BbQ places? I remember the one in the SF Valley when I was a kid in the 1960s. I think it was in NoHo or maybe Van Nuys. My family used to eat there once or twice a month. Was this a chain? I just remember the one in the Valley. I do recall they used to sell Chris and Pitts BBQ sauce in the markets, so it must have been a chain. I can't remember eating there after about 1975. Was it near Drysdale's Dugout owned by by the Dodger pitching great? We previously discussed Drysdale's Dugout bar & grill on Oxnard St. a few months ago.

We all seem to be hungry. The surviving restaurants and bars are going to boom once this endless pandemic is over. Everybody wear masks & survive until then.

When I was a little kid in NoHo I remember a restaurant called MARTIN'S on Oxnard or maybe Victory, near Vineland maybe? It was painted green. My memories are vague because I was maybe 5 or 6, but I do remember they served a really good hamburger. Does anybody remember Martin's Restaurant? It was probably around in the late 1950s or early 1960s when my family ate there.

Another place in NoHo I remember as a kid in the early '60s is a diner called FLOYD'S on Burbank or Magnolia. Tiny place but good diner food. The halibut steak with fries and cole slaw were great every Friday. There used to be a chatty waitress called Juanita with harlequin glasses and the grill man was Bill. A guy named Floyd owned the place, but he retired and turned it over to Bill. If anyone can find anything on Martin's or Floyd's I'll really be impressed.

Finally, when I was a kid I used to spend summers (1961-64) at a day camp place called the VALLEY SPORTS CLUB just off Cahuenga and Burbank Blvd. in NoHo (both of my parents worked). It was run by Buzz and his wife Corky. Really fun place. Anybody else remember this place from the early 1960s? We used to go on field trips to Griffith Park, Pacific Ocean Park etc. All the kids boarded vans with Disney characters painted on the sides. Donald Duck etc. The Sports Club was coed, with lots of girls. Had a crush on some of them. They had a huge Olympic pool. They also had a wood shop where you could make things, and lots of crafts. Really fun place.

In NoHo I also remember there was this western clothing dude called Nudie who drove a huge car with Texas longhorns on the hood. He ran a famous western clothing store called NUDIE'S. Everybody would honk when they saw Nudie in his big car with the horns on the hood. Another place I remember was a car place run by someone called Barris. I think he made the bat car and Munsters car.

Those were the days. Like I said, if any noirish sleuth can find info or photos of these ancient places from over 50 years ago, that would be very impressive. Anything on the Valley Sports Club especially appreciated.

Hollywood Graham Nov 18, 2020 4:26 PM

I met Nudie after leaving the Palomino Club (famous western bar in N.Hollywood, next door to Nudies shop) he was taking a leak next to my car and my friends and I thought he was going on the car. He was not however and after confronting him he took us inside and bought us a beer or two. Both places were at their height at that time.

rick m Nov 18, 2020 5:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9109636)
Since we are on the subject of food, anybody remember the Chris & Pitts BbQ places? I remember the one in the SF Valley when I was a kid in the 1960s. I think it was in NoHo or maybe Van Nuys. My family used to eat there once or twice a month. Was this a chain? I just remember the one in the Valley. I do recall they used to sell Chris and Pitts BBQ sauce in the markets, so it must have been a chain. I can't remember eating there after about 1975. Was it near Drysdale's Dugout owned by by the Dodger pitching great? We previously discussed Drysdale's Dugout bar & grill on Oxnard St. a few months ago.

We all seem to be hungry. The surviving restaurants and bars are going to boom once this endless pandemic is over. Everybody wear masks & survive until then.

When I was a little kid in NoHo I remember a restaurant called MARTIN'S on Oxnard or maybe Victory, near Vineland maybe? It was painted green. My memories are vague because I was maybe 5 or 6, but I do remember they served a really good hamburger. Does anybody remember Martin's Restaurant? It was probably around in the late 1950s or early 1960s when my family ate there.

Another place in NoHo I remember as a kid in the early '60s is a diner called FLOYD'S on Burbank or Magnolia. Tiny place but good diner food. The halibut steak with fries and cole slaw were great every Friday. There used to be a chatty waitress called Juanita with harlequin glasses and the grill man was Bill. A guy named Floyd owned the place, but he retired and turned it over to Bill. If anyone can find anything on Martin's or Floyd's I'll really be impressed.

Finally, when I was a kid I used to spend summers (1961-64) at a day camp place called the VALLEY SPORTS CLUB just off Cahuenga and Burbank Blvd. in NoHo (both of my parents worked). It was run by Buzz and his wife Corky. Really fun place. Anybody else remember this place from the early 1960s? We used to go on field trips to Griffith Park, Pacific Ocean Park etc. All the kids boarded vans with Disney characters painted on the sides. Donald Duck etc. The Sports Club was coed, with lots of girls. Had a crush on some of them. They had a huge Olympic pool. They also had a wood shop where you could make things, and lots of crafts. Really fun place.

In NoHo I also remember there was this western clothing dude called Nudie who drove a huge car with Texas longhorns on the hood. He ran a famous western clothing store called NUDIE'S. Everybody would honk when they saw Nudie in his big car with the horns on the hood. Another place I remember was a car place run by someone called Barris. I think he made the bat car and Munsters car.

Those were the days. Like I said, if any noirish sleuth can find info or photos of these ancient places from over 50 years ago, that would be very impressive. Anything on the Valley Sports Club especially appreciated.

Chris and Pitts BBQ (so so food) became Valley Village's Hugo's on Riverside Drive just east of Coldwater--
After getting Nudie a huge sale of his western duds for my company's summer picnic- he squeezed my thigh on the way back to his Van Nuys shop --and offered me a job if I was interested (a coy pass? ) He later joined my department for our XMAS luncheon--- Giant sweetheart he was---

riichkay Nov 18, 2020 8:42 PM

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds
Getty/Ed Ruscha

In 1974 Ruscha toured Melrose Ave., this curious building appeared in the 4800 block....a search revealed the property had been covered comprehensively by 3940dxer back in 2011....

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...le#post5506013



https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds



https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

This guy wearing any pants? 


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.