SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=223168)

Drofmab Nov 15, 2017 5:32 PM

Probably mentioned here before (or implied), but it's pretty clear from the H&M space, and the hallway to the new pedway, that Cornwall will be updating the entire mall's look with new tiling. There's a 5/8" rise to the tile in the new hallway, and to the tile outside H&M. If they were sticking with the existing flooring throughout the mall, I expect they would've taken the flooring in these spaces down by 5/8" to facilitate a flush install of the new tile (or at least creating a very gradual grade to even out the two surfaces without a noticeable transition).

This will be a nice upgrade - the current flooring dates the mall. No matter how many other updates they've done, that flooring screams out "1980s!"

one_brick_at_a_time Nov 15, 2017 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7986807)
Probably mentioned here before (or implied), but it's pretty clear from the H&M space, and the hallway to the new pedway, that Cornwall will be updating the entire mall's look with new tiling. There's a 5/8" rise to the tile in the new hallway, and to the tile outside H&M. If they were sticking with the existing flooring throughout the mall, I expect they would've taken the flooring in these spaces down by 5/8" to facilitate a flush install of the new tile (or at least creating a very gradual grade to even out the two surfaces without a noticeable transition).

This will be a nice upgrade - the current flooring dates the mall. No matter how many other updates they've done, that flooring screams out "1980s!"

I agree! Could someone take pics of the tile comparison? :)

one_brick_at_a_time Nov 15, 2017 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7926277)

New tile throughout the mall would also allow for an easier match transition of flooring into the Sears redevelopment (hopefully continuing mall through to 11th Avenue Sears entrance that is.)

Stormer Nov 15, 2017 7:26 PM

Quote:

You took a measuring tape but no camera? ;)

one_brick_at_a_time Nov 15, 2017 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7987037)

Haha Stormer :)

Drofmab Nov 15, 2017 9:40 PM

Quote:

My measuring tape & camera are one and the same... my eyes.

Unfortunately, I don't have a way to offload the images from my internal storage without corrupting them ;)

cityboy Nov 15, 2017 10:23 PM

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing as it's visible on both the main and second floor entrance to H & M. Just the pedway/hal alone looks much more modern. My only question would be, won't they run into transition issues going into all the store space?

saskdave Nov 16, 2017 3:06 AM

Rezoning of current Costco site

I had heard rumours that the current Costco site was already purchased. Today a city rezoning sign is up on site. Didn't catch what it specifically said but hopefully that means it won't sit empty when Costco moves.

BrutallyDishonest2 Nov 16, 2017 1:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskdave (Post 7987581)
I had heard rumours that the current Costco site was already purchased. Today a city rezoning sign is up on site. Didn't catch what it specifically said but hopefully that means it won't sit empty when Costco moves.

It's not sold, but it is under contract. The potential buyer definitely has a plan for the site but it's dependent on rezoning and all the usual stipulations.

Stormer Nov 16, 2017 2:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7987824)
It's not sold, but it is under contract. The potential buyer definitely has a plan for the site but it's dependent on rezoning and all the usual stipulations.

...which is contrary to the rezoning application which says there is no re-development plan. It also says the gas bar will be decommissioned, which is unfortunate given that it is pretty much brand new.

They are just replacing the very specific CZ Contract zoning with the standard and very broad MAC zoning.

http://www.regina.ca/opencms/export/...on-package.pdf

Drofmab Nov 16, 2017 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityboy (Post 7987310)
I was wondering the same thing as it's visible on both the main and second floor entrance to H & M. Just the pedway/hal alone looks much more modern. My only question would be, won't they run into transition issues going into all the store space?

I suspect they figured it's better to deal with transition into stores & bring them up as stores renovate/update, than to continue with an extremely dated look in the mall's concourses.

Southland & Northgate both retiled over the years - I don't recall how they managed the transition into the stores (they may have had tiles to start with - so popped them off & installed new in their place... resulting in no change in height. Majority of Cornwall's floor isn't tile - so removing existing & replacing isn't an option).

Stormer Nov 16, 2017 6:04 PM

I've got the scoop on what will be going on the old Costco site. A second floor will be added to accommodate a Whole Foods store above the IKEA. Some of the parking lot will be taken up by the indoor-outdoor waterpark and the new multiplex theatre. The old gas bar will become a pad site for the Cactus Club. There will also be a dog park and 1000 car underground parking garage. :yes:

pappcam Nov 16, 2017 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7988168)
I've got the scoop on what will be going on the old Costco site. A second floor will be added to accommodate a Whole Foods store above the IKEA. Some of the parking lot will be taken up by the indoor-outdoor waterpark and the new multiplex theatre. The old gas bar will become a pad site for the Cactus Club. There will also be a dog park and 1000 car underground parking garage. :yes:

Where are the Olive Garden and Krispy Kreme donuts going? :)

sastaunik44 Nov 16, 2017 9:51 PM

Sears home stores last day will be Nov 26th....any idea what might go there? What are the rumors for the Costco site?

BrannyMuffin Nov 16, 2017 10:37 PM

^^^^^^ Sears Home store, obviously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 7988205)
Where are the Olive Garden and Krispy Kreme donuts going? :)

Drofmab Nov 17, 2017 3:09 AM

Quote:

Here ya go.

You’ll notice at Tim’s and Telus, they’re using a different tile that the brown one they use in the rest of the mall - and this new tile is flush to the existing flooring. The area around H&M is a similar shade of tile - but it’s not flush - most obvious place is across from Calendar Club/ZamZam... if they weren’t retiling the main part of the mall, they wouldn’t have brought the new tile out in such an odd manner.

BrutallyDishonest2 Nov 17, 2017 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7987893)
...which is contrary to the rezoning application which says there is no re-development plan.

I have no specific knowledge on this but if Costco submitted the application then it would technically be correct since they have no redevelopment plans.

Moreover, I don't know if it would count as redevelopment if the new owners simply buy the building and start using it with only general modifications.

Stormer Nov 17, 2017 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7988856)
Here ya go.

You’ll notice at Tim’s and Telus, they’re using a different tile that the brown one they use in the rest of the mall - and this new tile is flush to the existing flooring. The area around H&M is a similar shade of tile - but it’s not flush - most obvious place is across from Calendar Club/ZamZam... if they weren’t retiling the main part of the mall, they wouldn’t have brought the new tile out in such an odd manner.

Thanks so the terrazo is likely to remain I assume?

Nathan Nov 17, 2017 3:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7988856)
Here ya go.

Is it black grouting at Tim's vs white elsewhere? Or is the grouting by Tim's just dirty? :???:

Drofmab Nov 19, 2017 5:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7988895)
Thanks so the terrazo is likely to remain I assume?

Yes, that's my assumption.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7988921)
Is it black grouting at Tim's vs white elsewhere? Or is the grouting by Tim's just dirty? :???:

I don't think it's black or dirty - I think it's roughly the same colour as elsewhere (grey-ish), just wet... it was being mopped as I took the picture ;)