SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   NEW JERSEY | American Dream@Meadowlands (Xanadu) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140988)

chris08876 Aug 6, 2015 2:34 AM

^^^^

Big project with lots of square footage over a large area. Many components to it.

eleven=11 Aug 6, 2015 3:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 7119689)
why so many cranes??

I thought it was just minor fixes and paint
what about the ferris wheel??

Hypothalamus Aug 6, 2015 3:19 AM

Sports Authority executive pledges to promote Meadowlands as tourist destination

http://www.northjersey.com/polopoly_...ican-dream.jpg

AUGUST 4, 2015, 6:23 PM BY LINDA MOSS

Quote:

Wayne Hasenbalg, the Sports Authority’s president and chief executive officer, told attendees at a business breakfast that his agency has established a new marketing and communications unit to spearhead efforts to draw visitors to North Jersey. Four people have been assigned to that unit, in what Hasenbalg described as just one of the moves the authority has made since it absorbed the New Jersey Meadowlands Commission in February.

The executive’s comments at the event, sponsored by the Meadowlands Regional Chamber, marked one of his first public speeches since the consolidation. About 130 people attended the breakfast at the Graycliff in Moonachie.

Hasenbalg said that the Sports Authority — which will retain its name after absorbing the commission and its control of zoning and development in the 30-square-mile wetlands district — is working closely with Jim Kirkos, the Meadowlands Chamber’s president and chief executive officer, to showcase the Meadowlands as a destination for tourism and major sporting and entertainment events.

“We need to create some opportunities, public and private, as a partnership to really promote tourism in this part of the state,” Hasenbalg said.

That effort includes working with the chamber to compete and submit bids for marquee events on the scale of the Super Bowl and Wrestlemania, both of which recently came to the Meadowlands.

“There’s one [bid] that’s literally going on as we speak,” Hasenbalg said. “It’s on my desk to read and file forms for this afternoon for a very big event. And there are some others that I can’t talk about right now.”

After the breakfast, he declined to identify the event.

MetLife Stadium and its staff are also in the loop in terms of attempts to bring marquee attractions to the area, Hasenbalg said.

During a question-and-answer session with the audience, Hasenbalg said that the Sports Authority hasn’t received any additional funding from the state for its tourism initiative.

At the breakfast he also said that the merger of the Sports Authority and the Meadowlands Commission, though it took place at breakneck speed, ultimately made sense. The commission was responsible for land-use planning and environmental issues for nearly half a century in a marshland district that includes parts of 14 Bergen and Hudson county towns.

But Hasenbalg said, “It’s important to have one unified agency … a single source of reference from the state government perspective as the advocate for the Meadowlands region, because of the future and all that’s going to potentially go on here.”

He mentioned American Dream Meadowlands, the retail and entertainment complex under construction at the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford.

“In the very near future you’re going to see some incredible activity taking place at that site that will in fact show people that that project is going to happen,” Hasenbalg said. “As an agency, we’re being involved really as a landlord at that site to make sure that project happens.”

Acknowledging concerns from the real estate community, Hasenbalg said the Sports Authority has been speedily processing land-use applications since absorbing the Meadowlands Commission. He added that he expects that the process for managing land-use applications will improve due to a reorganization of the Sports Authority that followed its absorption of the Meadowlands Commission.

Hasenbalg also mentioned the Sports Authority’s recent agreements to have Rutgers University-Newark take over a state lab that conducts scientific research in the Meadowlands, and for Bergen Community College to take control of the William D. McDowell Observatory at DeKorte Park in Lyndhurst, where the Sports Authority is now located.

“All those naysayers who thought the big, bad Sports Authority was going to come onboard and undermine” the Meadowlands Commission’s past mission of “environmental stewardship” were wrong, Hasenbalg said, adding that the merged agency is actually expanding opportunities in the region.

Asked about the future of the now-closed Izod Center at the Meadowlands Sports Complex, Hasenbalg said he was optimistic that it will eventually reopen.

“What I don’t know is by whom, and for what purpose,” he said.

Nexis4Jersey Aug 15, 2015 7:33 AM

From Thursday

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5736/...7e8c8e42_b.jpg
Cranes Galore in the Meadowlands
by Corey Best, on Flickr

chris08876 Aug 20, 2015 8:40 PM

I had to go to Lodi,NJ today for some site work, and I passed by the complex when I got off the Turnpike. Lots of cranes, and lots of construction going on. Big chunk of it is finishing up. Facade looks wicked, and they are working on the elements for the parking lots. Also, some interior work as there where trucks loading stuff in and it was somewhat exposed. Kinda surprised at the army of workers that they had. Really pushing for the 2017 opening.

For now, looks like a big part of the exterior is finished. Seems like its mostly interior work that will take most of the effort for 2016.

deepen915 Sep 22, 2015 4:11 AM

Breaking News!

http://www.northjersey.com/news/busi...lers-1.1415006

"Ten more retailers were announced for American Dream Meadowlands on Monday by developer Triple Five, which has set fall 2017 as the opening for the shopping and entertainment complex.

Familiar women's clothing retailers Victoria's Secret and Lulelemon are joined by venerable mall stores Banana Republic and The Gap; MAC cosmetics; and a Microsoft computer store. Also on the latest list are Aritzia, Uniqlo, Zara, and Pink."

"The new signups follow last week's announcement of Hermes as well as news earlier this month that a Saks Fifth OFF Fifth outlet store as well as 100,000-square-foot anchor tenants Lord & Taylor and Saks Fifth Avenue. Ghermezian said the latter two stores would be the largest at the site."

Rail>Auto Sep 22, 2015 5:43 AM

Any chance they can get IZOD reopened?

drumz0rz Sep 22, 2015 8:58 PM

I think what could really set this center off would be extending the HBLR the 3 miles to here. That would make access much easier to those without cars. The NJ Transit station is usually only open during Football games or special events right?

eleven=11 Sep 24, 2015 1:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail>Auto (Post 7172353)
Any chance they can get IZOD reopened?

Izod is closed. to be demolished??

what are the new mall colors??
the old blue/white and orange.......

C. Sep 27, 2015 12:26 AM

I'm salivating at the prospect of yet another flop at Xanadu American Dream Mall. The concept of yet another mega mall just seems so 1990s. Personally, all this development in the Medowlands has led to an ecological disaster. It should not have been developed, but greed won out. Plus it's a headache to get to without a car.

aquablue Sep 27, 2015 12:38 AM

The region is big enough with 19 million CSA that they can afford another mall or two without issues. It will not fail. In fact, for such a big metropolis, there are rather few large and decent suburban malls compared to other parts of the world which have many more for a smaller population. jersey needs better shopping destinations.

C. Sep 27, 2015 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 7178616)
The region is big enough with 19 million CSA that they can afford another mall or two without issues. It will not fail. In fact, for such a big metropolis, there are rather few large and decent suburban malls compared to other parts of the world which have many more for a smaller population. jersey needs better shopping destinations.

There is a reason why Xanadu I & II, along with Izod, have failed. The location sucks! Time will tell if this American Dream mall monstrosity will meet the same fate. I can only hope.

Nexis4Jersey Sep 27, 2015 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 7178616)

We have 5 Malls in this County , one of them being one of the worlds largest which is a few miles up the road. On top of that all our state highways are lined with retail stores and restaurants. Its the same with Long Island and too a lesser extent the Hudson Valley & Connecticut. Some of the Malls in this region are started to decline and rapidly.... So adding another mall is a waste in my opinion.

shadowbat2 Oct 2, 2015 8:12 AM

Aquarium, Legoland center are latest additions to American Dream project

http://www.northjersey.com/news/aqua...ject-1.1423036

Quote:

The original Xanadu plan that the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority approved in 2003 featured an aquarium along with such since-discarded concepts as a skateboarding park; a wildlife museum; a minor league baseball park; and a clown school. Subsequent announcements included an aquarium either as part of an outdoors store, as a segment of a themed restaurant, or as a standalone attraction.

Related: American Dream adding 10 more retailers

The current developer, Triple Five of Edmonton, Alberta, rebranded the project American Dream Meadowlands when it was brought in to revive it in 2011 after two previous developers failed to complete the complex. On Thursday it announced a partnership with Sea Life, which bills itself as “the world’s biggest aquarium brand,” with 50 locations including London, Bangkok and the outskirts of Paris, as well as Orlando, Charlotte and the Dallas suburbs.

The centerpiece of Sea Life’s American Dream aquarium is a walk-through underwater tunnel, with feeding demonstrations and educational talks also offered each day.

A Legoland Discovery Center was announced as part of the Xanadu mix in March 2008 by Colony Capital, a year before construction was halted until 2014 due to insufficient funds. There are seven such centers in the United States, including one in Yonkers, N.Y., and another in Boston. Merlin Entertainments, the operators of the Sea Life and Legoland sites, describes the latter as “stepping into a giant box of Lego” toy bricks. Rides, classes, a party room, and a “4-D Cinema” — in which a 3-D movie is supplemented with motion seats, wind and strobe effects, rain and other stimuli — are to be part of the attraction, which is aimed at children aged 3 to 10.

Triple Five’s president, Don Ghermezian, said in a statement that both entertainment offerings fit “perfectly” with the idea of a retail and entertainment destination that appeals both to tourists and to local residents. More than a dozen retail tenants have been announced in the past three weeks, including Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord & Taylor as anchor stores.

“Keeping in mind this unique and larger-than-life NY metropolitan market, we have incorporated and enhanced the most exciting elements of our existing centers and put them into American Dream,” Ghermezian said in a statement. Triple Five also operates the West Edmonton Mall in Canada and the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minn., which are the two largest retail and entertainment sites in North America.

eleven=11 Oct 7, 2015 2:51 PM

what are the new colors ??
also ferris wheel??

C. May 4, 2016 2:52 PM

This POS is never going to open.

http://jerseydigs.com/another-delay-...dream-complex/

Quote:

http://jerseydigs.com/wp-content/upl...xanadu-opt.jpg

The saga of American Dream at Meadowlands took another unexpected turn last week when developer Triple Five announced that the project, hoped to be completed in Fall 2017, will now be delayed yet again over finance woes.

Work has noticeably picked up at the site and massive cranes around the project are still clearly visible when driving on Route 3 near American Dream. But Triple Five needs more financing for the project and announced last week that a bond package for the facility would not go out for sale until “early summer”.

East Rutherford mayor James Cassella appeared to have renewed skepticism on the whole project during last week’s town council meeting following the latest delay, telling the crowd that “this project may or may not go” and adding that borough officials have “had enough of this already and we’re tired of waiting.”

BBMW May 12, 2016 8:05 PM

Good. Let it die. That location is perfect for building a replacement for the Port Authority Bus Terminal, tied to Manhattan with an extension of the 7 train. All that parking space that's empty six days a week, and seven most of the year, would make a great park and ride. And, of course, when there are games (or other events) at Met Life, all that bus and subway service will make them very easy to get to.

I had looked at two locations. One is where the Secaucus Home Depot is now. The other was this. The presence of this mall would have greatly complicated that. If it goes away, the location is available.

Design-mind May 13, 2016 3:41 AM

I can't believe that Triple Five is still able to get financing on any of their projects. If you look at their track record they have filed bankruptcy on many of the projects they started. It will inevitably fall into the hands of the state or another developer to finish the project and pay for its up keep. This is exactly how it went down in my hometown.

eleven=11 May 14, 2016 8:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Design-mind (Post 7440137)
I can't believe that Triple Five is still able to get financing on any of their projects. If you look at their track record they have filed bankruptcy on many of the projects they started. It will inevitably fall into the hands of the state or another developer to finish the project and pay for its up keep. This is exactly how it went down in my hometown.

i think they are still building a big mall in miami florida.
what bankruptcy stuff are you talking about?

Nexis4Jersey May 14, 2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBMW (Post 7439735)
Good. Let it die. That location is perfect for building a replacement for the Port Authority Bus Terminal, tied to Manhattan with an extension of the 7 train. All that parking space that's empty six days a week, and seven most of the year, would make a great park and ride. And, of course, when there are games (or other events) at Met Life, all that bus and subway service will make them very easy to get to.

I had looked at two locations. One is where the Secaucus Home Depot is now. The other was this. The presence of this mall would have greatly complicated that. If it goes away, the location is available.

That location is even worse for a bus terminal as it has no Regional rail connection other then a small stub off the Pascack Valley... It should be demolished and returned to wetlands....

Crawford May 16, 2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 7441492)
i think they are still building a big mall in miami florida.
what bankruptcy stuff are you talking about?

There is no bankruptcy. Triple Five are building gigantic malls in NJ and Florida. The NJ one is 90% finished, and will be open within a year.

eleven=11 May 17, 2016 5:31 AM

What color did they chose to paint the outside?

RobEss May 17, 2016 10:40 PM

I can't fathom who imagines the future of retail to still be these enormous hulks of enclosed shops and plazas. In the new era of Amazon hegemony, there's just no way this place will ever be profitable.

And besides, who wants to shop in the middle of an unpopulated marsh when so many other non-soggy shopping options are nearby?

Crawford May 18, 2016 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobEss (Post 7444870)
I can't fathom who imagines the future of retail to still be these enormous hulks of enclosed shops and plazas. In the new era of Amazon hegemony, there's just no way this place will ever be profitable.

Class A malls have never been more profitable. Retailers have are long waiting lists to get into top-tier malls.

Amazon is never going to stop higher end in-person retailing. In fact it's planning its own retail outlets, as are most e-commerce outlets.

It's the crap malls, in overbuilt markets, that have suffered. But in the NYC area, which is generally underbuilt, with few suburban malls built over the last 30-40 years, malls just don't go out of business.

Keep in mind, too, that most of the space at American Dream isn't going to traditional retail outlets, but to theaters, recreation, sports, hotels, theme parks and the like.
Quote:

And besides, who wants to shop in the middle of an unpopulated marsh when so many other non-soggy shopping options are nearby?

I don't know what this means. The mall isn't being built in an "unpopulated marsh". You won't get soggy, just like you don't get soggy at the Riverside Square Mall in NJ, which is, yeah, next to a river.

BBMW May 25, 2016 8:33 PM

Build the rail connection into the city (extending the city #7 line.) This could also be tied into the Secaucus junction NJ Transit station.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey (Post 7441499)
That location is even worse for a bus terminal as it has no Regional rail connection other then a small stub off the Pascack Valley... It should be demolished and returned to wetlands....

BBMW May 25, 2016 8:35 PM

As much as I'd like to see this thing die and be repurposed, if it completed, I don't see may shoppers slogging though chest deep swamp water to get to it.

Quote:

RobEss May 28, 2016 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBMW (Post 7453228)
...I don't see may shoppers slogging though chest deep swamp water to get to it.

Obviously the structure itself isn't plopped physically into a marsh - I mean to say that it's inconveniently tucked between major highways, rail infrastructure, and flat tidal estuaries. Sure, it's relatively connected to hubs like Elizabeth, Hoboken, etc., but it's not exactly close to them either. And given that a trip to 5th Avenue or SoHo is about as far as Xanadu is, I know which destination I'd ultimately choose.

eleven=11 Jul 26, 2016 6:52 AM

are they still building adding the new theme park thing?

NYguy Sep 21, 2016 3:04 AM

http://rew-online.com/wp-content/upl...43-938x535.jpg

http://rew-online.com/2016/08/17/ame...tly-nightmare/

Quote:

...American Dream will feature 500 stores and restaurants. The project is also supposed to include a 15-acre amusement park, water park, ski slope, theater, ice rink, aquarium and mini golf courses.

Triple Five is also developing a Florida version of American Dream – they announced in March of 2015 plans for an Miami American Dream, which they told Real Estate Weekly at the time would exceed their other projects around the world.

It has been reported that project could cost as much as $4 billion to build and once completed, could employ 25,000 people.

Plans for Miami’s megamall are largely modeled after American Dream in New Jersey, including the indoor amusement park with a roller coaster, a water park, and a Ferris Wheel.

NYguy Dec 5, 2016 8:37 PM

http://www.mr-mag.com/new-digital-re...an-dream-mall/

http://www.mr-mag.com/wp-content/upl...5-1024x512.jpg

Video Link

vandelay Dec 7, 2016 4:02 AM

What an abomination. It looks like the product of a dystopian society.

chris08876 Dec 15, 2016 12:27 AM

American Dream’s elusive promise

Quote:

This is the holiday season, a time to suspend disbelief. Still, we are cautious about getting too excited that the American Dream entertainment complex is on track to open in the fall of 2018.

Don Ghermezian, one of the principals at Triple Five, the developer of American Dream, told Record Staff Writer Joan Verdon this week that structural steel is on the way and that construction will aggressively restart in the new year. A snappy video which can be found on northjersey.com shows the new images for the complex. The much-maligned exterior that has been compared to stacked shipping containers is gone. In its place are open spaces, exterior glass walls and high-end retail stores.

If all this comes to pass, it will look a darned-sight better than it does now. The problem is we have been here before. New Jersey governors and developers have come and gone and American Dream, once-called Xanadu, is still unfinished. Until the latest $1.15 billion public bond offering happens – it has been delayed because of a softness in the bond market – we are just not sure the thing too big to fail will be completed.

Billions of dollars have been sunk into this project which has morphed into a mixed-use complex, with a water park, ski slope and expanded retail. It could be a catalyst for more development around the Meadowlands. Certainly, it will help bring in tourists who may stay in area hotels. Tax revenue from local hotels is not meeting expectations to fully replace the funding Meadowlands' municipalities once received from a now-abandoned shared tax system, so tourist dollars are needed.

We want to believe locals and tourists will want to play and shop at American Dream, but the retail landscape around the Meadowlands has changed since the project was first proposed. Lower Manhattan has become a shopping destination in its own right between the Westfield mall inside the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey’s $4 billion transportation hub and the adjacent Brookfield Place mall. Hudson Yards is another Manhattan destination moving toward completion. So there will be plenty of competition for American Dream’s retail.

Granted no other destination will have indoor skiing or swimming, but the scale of American Dream will require an equally grandiose flow of shoppers and tourists. It is too late in the game to question if the original Xanadu was ever a good idea or if American Dream is the best option for the site. American Dream is the only option for the site. It must be completed.

Ghermezian told The Record, “Any project of this magnitude takes time.” Given the years of missed completion dates, that statement is a bit of understatement. But we hope this time the ending truly is in sight. In the spirit of the season, we want to believe.
=============================
http://www.northjersey.com/story/opi...mise/95101430/

C. Dec 15, 2016 7:28 PM

I hate this thing. How many public and private dollars have been spent on this thing. Throwing good money after bad. I hope the Meadowlands just sinks into the city. Only good thing to come from global warming.

Crawford Dec 15, 2016 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CIA (Post 7652493)
I hate this thing. How many public and private dollars have been spent on this thing. Throwing good money after bad. I hope the Meadowlands just sinks into the city. Only good thing to come from global warming.

It will probably be the biggest tourist attraction in NJ from the day it opens. It's also good in that it's a transit-oriented development, and part of the recentering of the metropolitan area into the core. And it offers many things just not available elsewhere (indoor amusement park, indoor ski hill, mega-ferris wheel, etc.). It should draw a ton of tourists who otherwise would stick mostly to Manhattan.

And the retail demand has been huge. They're lining up practically every luxury retailer in existence. They even got Saks to relocate from Mall at Short Hills, which is one of the most profitable luxury shopping centers on earth.

On the other hand, yeah, why is a shopping/amusement/entertainment complex receiving public subsidies? The problem is that so many billions have been sunk into the complex, so it makes sense to finish.

vandelay Dec 20, 2016 4:45 PM

WNYC did a series on this project:

http://www.wnyc.org/story/mall-madness-part-one/

If you listen to it you realize it's even worse than you think.

C. Dec 20, 2016 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 7652508)
It will probably be the biggest tourist attraction in NJ from the day it opens. It's also good in that it's a transit-oriented development, and part of the recentering of the metropolitan area into the core.

When I look at the Meadowlands Sports and Entertainment Complex, the last thing that comes to mind is transit-oriented development. I'm aware there is a NJ Transit stop nearby, but I can't see transit gaining much of a share of the the model split with the car.

Quote:

And it offers many things just not available elsewhere (indoor amusement park, indoor ski hill, mega-ferris wheel, etc.). It should draw a ton of tourists who otherwise would stick mostly to Manhattan.
Not a good thing, IMO. It's like tourists who come to Manhattan and take a bus to Woodbridge Center Mall. Why? Far cheaper places in the world if wanting to patronage a suburban mall.

Quote:

And the retail demand has been huge. They're lining up practically every luxury retailer in existence. They even got Saks to relocate from Mall at Short Hills, which is one of the most profitable luxury shopping centers on earth.
:shrug: Malls are in the decline in many places across the country, but this new one is suppose to be a success? Personally, it's a tricky place to get too by car, let alone by transit.

Quote:

On the other hand, yeah, why is a shopping/amusement/entertainment complex receiving public subsidies? The problem is that so many billions have been sunk into the complex, so it makes sense to finish.
There is a reason why the private market wouldn't build this crap. If it ever does opens, I bet it goes the way of the Izod Center. If it ever opens.

C. Dec 28, 2016 11:06 AM

How Not to Build a Supermall: $5 Billion, 5 Governors, 3 Developers, and 15 Years
Chris Christie once called American Dream “the ugliest damn building in New Jersey.” Will it ever open?

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...an-dream-mall/

Quote:

Don Ghermezian wants to pitch us on the American Dream, but he has a few conditions. First, we’re not allowed to record his eight-minute presentation. Second, we can ask him only a few questions, at the end. Third, if they’re about his family, he won’t say much. “This is a $4.8 billion project that will be the center of the universe,” he says, promising we’ll be impressed. If not, “you’ll be the first ever to leave here without thinking, ‘Holy shit. These guys are incredible.’ ”

Ghermezian is speaking in the New Jersey Meadowlands offices of Triple Five, a family business that owns North America’s two biggest shopping centers: West Edmonton Mall and Mall of America. Triple Five are the incredible guys in question; Ghermezian is the company’s president. The future center of the universe is across the turnpike, a 91-acre tract of filled-in wetlands now home to a structure Governor Chris Christie, something of an expert on dismal spectacles, called “the ugliest damn building in New Jersey, maybe America.”

The first thing Ghermezian means for us to understand is that his family isn’t building a mall. Online shopping is killing malls; American Dream is one of only two in the country being built from the ground up. Its extravagant attractions make it “internet-proof,” says Ghermezian, who is in his 40s and wears a big watch and expensive sneakers. Beyond its 450 shops and restaurants, half of the 3 million-square-foot complex will be devoted to entertainment: a DreamWorks water park, a Nickelodeon theme park, a Legoland, a ski slope, an aquarium, a performing arts space, a movie theater, an ice rink, a miniature golf course, and a kosher food hall, all enclosed in a glass bubble.

Crawford Dec 28, 2016 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CIA (Post 7656891)
When I look at the Meadowlands Sports and Entertainment Complex, the last thing that comes to mind is transit-oriented development. I'm aware there is a NJ Transit stop nearby, but I can't see transit gaining much of a share of the the model split with the car.

Well it is a transit oriented development. Parking will be limited and expensive. Rail and bus service will be frequent. Much of the traffic will be tourists, who won't be coming in cars. The site is well served by transit, and just a few miles west of Manhattan. It's in the region's core.
Quote:

Not a good thing, IMO. It's like tourists who come to Manhattan and take a bus to Woodbridge Center Mall. Why? Far cheaper places in the world if wanting to patronage a suburban mall.

NYC gets tons of international tourists, and the U.S. has much cheaper retail than other countries, especially for luxury goods, which is why you see hordes of foreigners in the malls surrounding NYC, LA, and Miami. My in-laws (living in Germany) spend thousands on retail on their trips to the U.S.
Quote:

:shrug: Malls are in the decline in many places across the country, but this new one is suppose to be a success? Personally, it's a tricky place to get too by car, let alone by transit.

This isn't a mall, really, and malls aren't in decline. Low-end malls are in decline, but high end malls (like Mall at Short Hills, Garden State Plaza, Roosevelt Field Mall, The Westchester) have never been more profitable. And the majority of revenues are non-retail uses.
Quote:

There is a reason why the private market wouldn't build this crap. If it ever does opens, I bet it goes the way of the Izod Center. If it ever opens.

The private market did build this, but NJ taxpayers have subsidized the loans, largely because the financing required this (and because Christie is an idiot, but that's another story). Just because a project doesn't happen without taxpayer subsidies doesn't mean it's an automatically unworthy project.

And, in any case, the subsidies already occurred. The important thing now is to finally open the complex and get the economic boost.

Dac150 Dec 28, 2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 7662356)
NYC gets tons of international tourists, and the U.S. has much cheaper retail than other countries, especially for luxury goods, which is why you see hordes of foreigners in the malls surrounding NYC, LA, and Miami.

Do you really think though that tourists will depart Manhattan in order to shop at a New Jersey mall? Consider that Hudson Yards - in close proximity to Penn - will soon offer a wide variety of retail and dining options - among other attractions. Why leave the city when everything one needs and wants is within walking distance? Unless there's a sporting event, I don't see tourists gravitating to the Meadowlands solely for a shopping or dining experience.

Crawford Dec 29, 2016 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dac150 (Post 7662545)
Do you really think though that tourists will depart Manhattan in order to shop at a New Jersey mall?

They already do.

Been to Jersey Gardens lately? How about Garden State Plaza? Mall at Short Hills? These places are crawling with foreign tourists, who come by bus, car service or Uber to nearby malls. They even go to Woodbury Common, which must be at least 40 miles from Manhattan.

There are so many foreign tourists at Jersey Gardens, I don't think that mall would even exist without the Manhattan tourist market in proximity. It seems almost purposely designed to attract the Brazillian and British and Chinese shoppers.

Granted, I don't exactly get it. Who wants to visit a foreign country and then waste time at a mall, just to save a few bucks? But, trust me, people do it. My wife does it, my in-laws do it.
Quote:

Consider that Hudson Yards - in close proximity to Penn - will soon offer a wide variety of retail and dining options - among other attractions. Why leave the city when everything one needs and wants is within walking distance?

Because 1. Hudson Yards will be a luxury mall, not a suburban megacenter, 2. NJ is cheaper with lower sales tax and 3. American Dream will be primary non-mall uses, and such uses won't exist in Hudson Yards.

It isn't competing with Hudson Yards, at all, which will attract Manhattanites and some higher end tourists. American Dream will be more for families with kids and the tour bus crowd. The Cheesecake Factory/Dave and Busters crowd isn't going to be attracted to the chef-driven restaurants and luxury boutiques at Hudson Yards.

Here are some of the uses at American Dream:

Indoor ice rink (NHL-sized).
Nickelodeon Universe indoor theme park.
DreamWorks-themed Water Park – A year-round indoor water park.
Movie theater – 26 screen movie theater with outdoor lounge overlooking Manhattan.
Concert hall – 2,400–3,000 seat performing arts and concert venue.
Indoor ski slope.
Miniature golf course
Lucky Strike bowling alley.
Legoland Discovery Center.
Sea Life aquarium.
Quote:

Don't see tourists gravitating to the Meadowlands solely for a shopping or dining experience.

There are hordes of foreign tourists in these suburban malls already. I have no doubt they will gravitate to a closer-in mall, with direct rail to Manhattan, with attractions not available in any other shopping center in the Americas.

Dac150 Dec 29, 2016 2:51 PM

Interesting - I haven't been a NJ resident for years and therefore haven't recently patronized any of the malls, so I'll take your word for it. I find it intriguing though that tourists would pay to commute in and out of Manhattan in order to shop at a suburban mall in NJ or LI or wherever.

I hadn't realized they plan on cramming all of those attractions under one roof. Do you know if the new concert hall will mean the demolition of the IZOD Center?

C. Mar 23, 2017 3:15 PM

http://thedoctorsdigest.com/wp-conte...n-laughing.png

Work on Meadowlands mall has stalled and developer won't answer questions
http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2...epage-featured

Quote:

EAST RUTHERFORD -- Work on the American Dream mall has been just about non-existent, months after it was reported in December that construction had stalled.

Cranes were at a standstill and a hardhat could not be found at the American Dream mall site in East Rutherford. Work was been stalled since December.

Borough Mayor James L. Cassella says he has been in the dark about the billion-dollar mega-project, but is hopeful construction will start again soon.

"I haven't seen much, maybe a few people, a couple of cars parked," said Cassella last week. "There aren't a lot of people down there."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...353ac208b6.jpg

http://youngjournalistacademy.com/wp...ng-old-guy.jpg

Crawford Mar 23, 2017 4:09 PM

The developers haven't even had the bond offering yet, so it isn't clear why they would expect construction at this time.

And construction hasn't been stalled since December. It hasn't moved since summer, and was never expected to restart until after the bond offering (which can't even occur until there's a public vote on the offering).

chris08876 May 9, 2017 10:19 PM

Pic by me. Taken today.

https://cdn-standard.discourse.org/u...e3c28119a3.jpg

C. Jun 3, 2017 11:29 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/02/news...lls/index.html

Malls are doomed: 25% will be gone in 5 years

Quote:

Store closings and even dead malls are nothing new, but things might be about to get a whole lot worse.

Between 20% and 25% of American malls will close within five years, according to a new report out this week from Credit Suisse. That kind of plunge would be unprecedented in the nation's history.

In 1970 there were only 300 enclosed malls in the U.S., and now there are 1,211 of them. In fact, despite the recent turbulence in the retail industry, the number of malls open has actually edged higher every year.

If the analysts at Credit Suisse are right, that trend line about to turn -- sharply -- in the other direction.

The reasons are nothing new. People are shopping online more than ever, and that trend is expected to keep growing. Foot traffic at malls has been on the decline for years.

The report estimates that as malls close, online sales will grow from 17% of retail sales today to 35% by 2030.

There are also, quite simply, too many stores after years of new mall construction caused a retail bubble.
Excellent time for a venture capital fund to pick up these failing malls and re purpose them into mixed-use residential developments, office parks, industrial parks, etc...

eleven=11 Jun 5, 2017 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7800110)

great pic of cranes
the maps are new on wiki/google
you can see those same cranes

Crawford Jun 5, 2017 2:20 AM

The bond offering was completed, and this project is now fully financed, BTW. 75% leased.

C. Jun 5, 2017 4:37 PM

A little off topic, Amazon is now worth close to $500 billion and internet sales continue to take a bigger bite at bricks and mortar stores. I wonder how the retailers at the WTC Hub are doing? The only one I see doing any real business is the Apple store. IF American Dream is built, how would this impact other area malls since forecasts are calling for at least 20 percent to be out of business within the next 5 years.

Crawford Jun 6, 2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CIA (Post 7825190)
IF American Dream is built, how would this impact other area malls since forecasts are calling for at least 20 percent to be out of business within the next 5 years.

American Dream is mostly non-retail uses, so probably should have limited impact on other nearby malls. It's more of an entertainment complex, with amusement parks, ski hills, ferris wheel, water park, etc. It's competition is more Great Adventure, HersheyPark and the like.

The NY area is underretailed compared to the rest of the country and never had the massive explosion of suburban retail in the 80's and 90's. I'm sure places like Garden State Plaza and Mall at Short Hills will be fine. If they aren't fine, then that's OK too, that's capitalism.

eleven=11 Jun 6, 2017 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 7824817)
The bond offering was completed, and this project is now fully financed, BTW. 75% leased.

any info-news about Miami Mall/Park?
anybody know how to post wiki map screen shots?