SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   NEW YORK | 125 Greenwich Street | 912 FT | 70 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189153)

ChiTownWonder Sep 2, 2014 5:30 PM

Wtf, New York gets all the good proposals!! I'm glad that lower manhattan is getting some ore supertalls, considering they had none after 9/11. Sleek looking tower too, I think it would improve the look of the WTC complex.

JayPro Sep 2, 2014 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 (Post 6714030)
I love this one! The height figure will hopefully help those developing 2WTC wake the hell up(...)

The only thing this sorry structure can and would do in context of 2WTC is make Lord Foster weep bitterly in public for the way his crowning glory for WTC v.2 has been essentially mocked with no remorse whatsoever.

Hudson11 Sep 2, 2014 5:44 PM

there will also be 45 and 55 Broad Street in the near future to include in that rendering.

SkyscrapersOfNewYork Sep 2, 2014 5:50 PM

Im sorry i dont like it...I know i cant expect much from a site this small..but is it too much to ask for a defining crown..? 432 and 227 are boxy enough no more tall boxes, i wanna see more 30 HY and Steinway towers.

Crawford Sep 2, 2014 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson11 (Post 6714054)
there will also be 45 and 55 Broad Street in the near future to include in that rendering.

And 5 WTC will be a slim residential tower, probably extremely tall given the development rights (in theory could easily be taller than anything downtown, but I bet they will keep 5 WTC below 1 WTC for obvious reasons).

JayPro Sep 2, 2014 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork (Post 6714063)
Im sorry i dont like it...I know i cant expect much from a site this small..but is it too much to ask for a defining crown..? 432 and 227 are boxy enough no more tall boxes, i wanna see more 30 HY and Steinway towers.

The latter part of your statement got me to thinking just now...

Where is this perceived hue and cry from affordable housing advocates precisely for f*ing boxes coming from?? And, BTW, not just the kind of Frankenboxes that Larry wants put up on the West Side. I'm certainly talking about the kind we're debating here that look like headless Pez dispensers wrapped in slightly crinkled alumin(i)um foil?.

Is this noise coming from the actual affording housing advocated aforementioned? Now, I don't wanna start conflating the idea of living within one's comparatively austere means (i.e. as opposed to 57th) with architectural timidity; but I have been goaded into wondering..........

chris08876 Sep 2, 2014 6:46 PM

Best supertall cluster in the West :cheers:

This is the superior version 432 Park Ave. The rendering makes it look like a skinny original WTC1. Maybe its just my perspective, but it kinda looks like it based on the renderings.

JayPro Sep 2, 2014 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky88 (Post 6714033)
A look into the future: Downtown Manhattan 2020! :)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5580/...59597af6_o.jpg

Downtown Manhattan with 101 Murray Street, WTC towers, 22 Thames (78 Trinity Place) and 50 West Street.

I just can't feel too much love for this as long as this tower remains in its current form. What I assume to be a cubed beacon/crown on top foesn't do anything to enhance matters. If they do something along the lines of a value-engineered International Gem Tower façade, then maybe I'll warm up.

PS: This mockup is a great example of how 700'+ is starting to look downright anemic.

JayPro Sep 2, 2014 8:57 PM

w/ A Grain of Salt.....

I don't know if this has been in any way corroborated yet on YIMBY, since the SSC poster quoted here (Vertical Gotham) cited said e-publication. I haven't seen such as yet; but here it is:

From V.G. @ SSP:

Quote:

Update on Yimby's 125 Thames news.

(vv Attributed YIMBY source text in question--JayPro vv )

Update:
Reps send along word that the enclosed designs are for massing and design purposes, and may be subject to further revisions. Additionally, the header rendering is originally from DBOX.
We shall see......

mistermetAJ Sep 2, 2014 9:14 PM

Oh look! Another box...:yuck:

Another let down added to the list:

One57
432 Park
Every rendering of Norstrom
22 Thames...

New York supertalls are getting lamer and lamer with every new rendering...

UrbanImpact Sep 2, 2014 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPro (Post 6714371)
I don't know if this has been in any way corroborated yet on YIMBY, since the SSC poster quoted here (Vertical Gotham) cited said e-publication. I haven't seen such as yet; but here it is:

From V.G. @ SSP:

We shall see......

Thanks! I knew that it was most likely a massing model. :tup:

JayPro Sep 2, 2014 9:41 PM

Well...I still hafta go back to YIMBY and see if this has in fact been updated.....
...nothing written in stone yet.

Edit: There still is neither redaction nor retraction in any way on the original YIMBY piece based on the alleged citations. Nor has anyone on SSC called the bluff of the original poster...yet. So, unless and until anyone else--especially colleagues here who have NYYIMBY affiliations--offer information to the contrary, this information is IMO suspect.

photoLith Sep 2, 2014 10:27 PM

Wow, this came out of nowhere!

chris08876 Sep 2, 2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermetAJ (Post 6714389)

One57
432 Park
22 Thames...

Haha. I think you might be getting spoiled or have little taste in architecture. I can understand 432 Park Ave, but why One57? How many cities in the U.S. are getting a steady stream of supertalls? For one, this is an amazing era in skyscraper history that we are experiencing, especially in NYC. Boxy doesn't necessarily mean bad. We can't expect everything to have elements that we would see in Dubai or Shenzhen.

Sic'EmBears Sep 2, 2014 11:48 PM

I sure wish the architect could have built on top of the American Stock Exchange building...it was such a beautiful building.

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs...Selldorf_1.jpg

Crawford Sep 3, 2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sic'EmBears (Post 6714576)
I sure wish the architect could have built on top of the American Stock Exchange building...it was such a beautiful building.

The American Stock Exchange building is being converted to a hotel.

This tower is going up on the adjacent annex site.

Busy Bee Sep 3, 2014 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 6714587)
The American Stock Exchange building is being converted to a hotel.

This tower is going up on the adjacent annex site.

Theyre both beautiful buildings. The stock exchange is undergoing conversion. The sandstone building has come down. This lot will be the site of the new tower.

Crawford Sep 3, 2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermetAJ (Post 6714389)

One57
432 Park
22 Thames...

The ironic thing about your statement is that two of the four buildings (One57 and 432 Park) only had one rendering, and the other two (22 Thames and Nordstrom) are vastly improved versions, according to general opinion on SSP/SSC.

Personally I don't think there's a city on earth getting anything as good as these four, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Perklol Sep 3, 2014 12:34 AM

Anyone know when the dump 70's box next door will come down?

deepen915 Sep 3, 2014 12:51 AM

NEW YORK | 125 Greenwich St | 1356 FT / 413 M | 77 FLOORS

http://architizer.com/blog/vinolys-1...2-park-avenue/

https://acdn.architizer.com/thumbnai...fbfeac12e2.jpg

https://acdn.architizer.com/thumbnai...d9ce3e1193.jpg