SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Beer Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207680)

Xelebes Aug 5, 2014 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyro (Post 6681172)
That's cool. I enjoyed 50. :P

I always wondered why you don't see the bottles being used any more? Was it more cost related to producing it or something else?

Stubbies fell out of favour in 1992 when a new standardisation took force using the longneck AT2 standard. The stubbie came about through an informal standardisation attempt by the brewers in the 1960s.

esquire Aug 5, 2014 7:34 PM

OV was quite a popular beer in Manitoba right up until the early 90s. It's amazing how fast it turned into a "dad beer"... no more than about 5 or 6 years after Molson stopped advertising it is all it took. Same thing happened more recently with Labatt Blue.

Really, when you get down to brass tacks the only thing that separates "old man beer" from popular labels is advertising. No advertising = old man beer. It would seem that the young are faithful buyers of the beers that they are told to consume.

Acajack Aug 5, 2014 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6681200)
OV was quite a popular beer in Manitoba right up until the early 90s. It's amazing how fast it turned into a "dad beer"... no more than about 5 or 6 years after Molson stopped advertising it is all it took. Same thing happened more recently with Labatt Blue.

Really, when you get down to brass tacks the only thing that separates "old man beer" from popular labels is advertising. No advertising = old man beer. It would seem that the young are faithful buyers of the beers that they are told to consume.

I haven't seen OV in decades. I am not even sure if they sell it in Quebec at all. Have not noticed it since I moved here in the 90s.

Cyro Aug 5, 2014 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xelebes (Post 6681199)
Stubbies fell out of favour in 1992 when a new standardisation took force using the longneck AT2 standard. The stubbie came about through an informal standardisation attempt by the brewers in the 1960s.

A true understanding about beer and it's origins from the past. Greatly appreciated.

ps: Still miss the bottles, wierd I know, but it's a teen memory I guess.

kwoldtimer Aug 5, 2014 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6681200)

That explains the consumption of Corona.... :yuck: And Bud Light, come to think of it. :yuck: :yuck:

GlassCity Aug 5, 2014 8:35 PM

It's not so much about advertising as it is price and convenience. If I want to get drunk with a buddy, I can either pick up a 12 pack for each of us of Okanagan Sping Pale Ale for $45 together, or buy a single 24 pack of Kokanee for $35. I love the Pale Ale, but Kokanee is still very drinkable and for $5 less each? Why not.

manny_santos Aug 6, 2014 2:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 6681209)
I haven't seen OV in decades. I am not even sure if they sell it in Quebec at all. Have not noticed it since I moved here in the 90s.

It's still available in Ontario, but it's more of a "grandpa beer" to me. My father is in his late 60s and he refers to OV as his dad's beer. I remember visiting The Beer Store circa 1992 and OV was still one of the big brands.

Labatt 50 was still being served on tap at The Ceeps in London, a UWO-dominated bar as recently as 2010. I also used to see it in bottles at a golf course in London. An old friend of mine used to always get one at the course bar after a round. His reason? "Nobody drinks it, so you know it's gonna be cold!"

suburbanite Aug 6, 2014 3:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlassCity (Post 6681294)
It's not so much about advertising as it is price and convenience. If I want to get drunk with a buddy, I can either pick up a 12 pack for each of us of Okanagan Sping Pale Ale for $45 together, or buy a single 24 pack of Kokanee for $35. I love the Pale Ale, but Kokanee is still very drinkable and for $5 less each? Why not.

OV isn't really that much more expensive than the big brands. It just doesn't have the same advertising or in-store presence. Plus, student-aged drinkers tend to stick with whatever they find at the bar, and I don't think I've seen OV served anywhere around here.

manny_santos Aug 6, 2014 3:03 AM

New craft brewery in Downtown Kingston:

http://stonecityales.com/

The website leaves a lot to be desired so far, but the beer is amazing.

GlassCity Aug 6, 2014 8:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 6681734)
OV isn't really that much more expensive than the big brands. It just doesn't have the same advertising or in-store presence. Plus, student-aged drinkers tend to stick with whatever they find at the bar, and I don't think I've seen OV served anywhere around here.

Okay, you have a point there because I have no idea what OV is. But ask most people my age what their favourite beer is and it will almost always be something other than Molson Canadian/Kokanee/Budweiser. The fact that the cases come in so many different sizes is huge too.

As far as a non mass-produced beer, Cariboo brewed in Prince George is very popular among young people here. It's honestly terrible, but for $8 a 6 pack you can't go wrong.

niwell Aug 6, 2014 2:55 PM

One of the best breweries in Canada is expanding!!

http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/coming-of-age/

In a building I have always thought is very cool as well: http://goo.gl/maps/d5EzZ

This is very exciting for me.

eemy Aug 6, 2014 3:05 PM

Wow, that building looks awesome for a brewery.

kwoldtimer Aug 6, 2014 3:07 PM

A great building just begging to be turned into a micro-brewery is Kitchener's long-vacant Public Utilities Building, right across the street from City Hall.

http://i61.tinypic.com/rt2dcw.jpg

flar Aug 6, 2014 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 6681209)

I never see OV in the Ottawa area either. My stepfather always tries to order when he comes up here to visit and the servers don't know what he's talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manny_santos (Post 6681727)
It's still available in Ontario, but it's more of a "grandpa beer" to me. My father is in his late 60s and he refers to OV as his dad's beer. I remember visiting The Beer Store circa 1992 and OV was still one of the big brands.

Labatt 50 was still being served on tap at The Ceeps in London, a UWO-dominated bar as recently as 2010. I also used to see it in bottles at a golf course in London. An old friend of mine used to always get one at the course bar after a round. His reason? "Nobody drinks it, so you know it's gonna be cold!"

OV used to be one of the mainstream brands. They used to sponsor softball tournaments and had tons of brand merchandise (shirts, hats, bags, etc)

harls Aug 6, 2014 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manny_santos (Post 6681727)
It's still available in Ontario, but it's more of a "grandpa beer" to me. My father is in his late 60s and he refers to OV as his dad's beer.

Grandpa beer.. Man I'm old. it used to be cool in high school.

If I had to choose an old man beer now, it'd probably be Black Label. Or Blue.

In Quebec, Labatt Blue is boxed and branded as "Bleue", no mention of Blue on the box anywhere. Plus they put a little fleur-de-lys on it. The cans themselves are bilingual though.. not the packaging.

You'd be hard pressed to find a case of Molson Canadian in Quebec too, but they do exist (especially in Gatineau, for the sophisticated Ontarian).

Acajack Aug 6, 2014 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harls (Post 6682247)
Grandpa beer.. Man I'm old. it used to be cool in high school.

If I had to choose an old man beer now, it'd probably be Black Label. Or Blue.

In Quebec, Labatt Blue is boxed and branded as "Bleue", no mention of Blue on the box anywhere. Plus they put a little fleur-de-lys on it. The cans themselves are bilingual though.. not the packaging.

You'd be hard pressed to find a case of Molson Canadian in Quebec too, but they do exist (especially in Gatineau, for the sophisticated Ontarian).

Actually... I've noticed that Molson have been putting Canadian out there more in Quebec recently. It's often the beer that's "on promo". It's branded as Molson Canadian 67 or something like that. Only 67 calories or something! ;)

harls Aug 6, 2014 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 6682261)
Actually... I've noticed that Molson have been putting Canadian out there more in Quebec recently. It's often the beer that's "on promo". It's branded as Molson Canadian 67 or something like that. Only 67 calories or something! ;)

The Feds must be behind this..

Acajack Aug 6, 2014 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harls (Post 6682284)
The Feds must be behind this..

Rest easy. Sheila Copps is long retired!

mcmcclassic Aug 6, 2014 6:54 PM

Here in NS, it's almost impossible to find a "cheap beer". The cheapest Canadian made beer is Moosehead Dry Ice (6% strong beer) for $21/12pk. All of the standard advertised beers like Canadian, Keith's, Budweiser, etc. will put you back $43 for a 2-4.

For this reason, I have turned to craft beers (I'm working on trying some from each of the breweries in the Maritimes). For not that much more money, you can get locally produced product and something that tastes good. When the bank account is hurting, Dry Ice does seem to win out though...

PhilippeMtl Aug 7, 2014 1:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmcclassic (Post 6682469)
Here in NS, it's almost impossible to find a "cheap beer". The cheapest Canadian made beer is Moosehead Dry Ice (6% strong beer) for $21/12pk. All of the standard advertised beers like Canadian, Keith's, Budweiser, etc. will put you back $43 for a 2-4.

For this reason, I have turned to craft beers (I'm working on trying some from each of the breweries in the Maritimes). For not that much more money, you can get locally produced product and something that tastes good. When the bank account is hurting, Dry Ice does seem to win out though...

Brew your own, it is easy and it will cost you a maximum of 40$ for 23 liters of great beer.